Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,138 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator (11047 Views)

Ogun State Ministry Budgets N900,000 For A 32" Hisense TV / Sale Mamman: Cabal In Power Ministry Denying Nigerians Of Electricity / Electricity Workers Protest In Abuja, Picket Power Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by knaikky(m): 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2019
What they are saying is,
their won't be improvement in power supply for 2019
* They will be spending more than N500,000 daily

We are not just ready to fix this country.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by buchilino(m): 12:27pm On Jan 02, 2019
tolufase:
What do you expect? It's not their father's money; they can afford to budget any amount of money to buy fuel. But if they can budget such amount of money to buy fuel, how much would they budget to fix the power sector?

N SOME SAY D NA IS CORRUPT
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by theoldpretender(m): 12:27pm On Jan 02, 2019
pacificman:

if nigerians have 24/7 power we would pay..me i love lite and i have lived in a country for 3yrs and them no take light..asking me to pay for power when i no see light..i lived in a country and in my flat we dont pay more than 10k during summer time and we have light 24/7 and we get fridge..during winter we pay 40k because we use heater

Problem is where is the government going to get the money for 24/7 light.

1.Lagos needs at least 10000MW alone for 24/7 light.

2.Nigeria generates less than 7000MW alone

3.Estimates to cure the power problem range from N5trillion (1997), to $900billion over 30 years....and our budget cannot fund 24/7 light.

4.So that means we

a) Take a loan

b) Raise bills drastically

c) Cut subsidies

Thing is....you cannot give what you do not have...

GSM that we use for calls, data, etc....is where it is today because Nigerians were not allowed to use the system for free, plus Nigerians paid whatever price the GSM people demanded....even back during the days when you could not call Network A from Network B, and when internet service was a joke., and when people were openly complaining about bad service. But the money we paid enabled the GSM companies to make improvements and upgrades.

Meanwhile...Nigerians and their government are starving the DISCOS and the GENCOS....of money, and we still expect miracles.?

2 Likes

Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by buchilino(m): 12:29pm On Jan 02, 2019
Factfinder1:
What' a shame...they can't even think of investing that money on solar energy or something profitable... If ministry of power uses generator then how do you think Nigeria will ever have light... I've been I'm Niger state for 2 weeks the so called power state has 6hours of light a day 3 hours in the morning and 3hours at night and they didn't even do a Christmas or new year free Enjoyement of light and people still think Nigeria will ever be better

N SOME SAY D NA IS CORRUPT
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by theoldpretender(m): 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2019
5thElement:

Guess how much Obasanjo and Atiku's government from 1999_2007 spent for power generation and distribution?

Nothing less than $16BILLION

Let me spell it for you, SIXTEEN BILLION DOLLARS!!!

Where is the power?

I hate defending govt...but in 2001 we were generating less than 2000MW, by 2008, it was up to 4000MW.

Also, $16 BILLION in 8 years seems like a lot of cash....HOWEVER, we need 180000MW to get 24/7 power supply...which is more than what $16 bn can give us.

Am all for investigating and recovering the stolen monies...but $16bn won't get us there.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by pacificman: 12:34pm On Jan 02, 2019
theoldpretender:

Problem is where is the government going to get the money for 24/7 light.

1.Lagos needs at least 10000MW alone for 24/7 light.

2.Nigeria generates less than 7000MW alone

3.Estimates to cure the power problem range from N5trillion (1997), to $900billion over 30 years....and our budget cannot fund 24/7 light.

4.So that means we

a) Take a loan

b) Raise bills drastically

c) Cut subsidies

Thing is....you cannot give what you do not have...

GSM that we use for calls, data, etc....is where it is today because Nigerians were not allowed to use the system for free, plus Nigerians paid whatever price the GSM people demanded....even back during the days when you could not call Network A from Network B, and when internet service was a joke., and when people were openly complaining about bad service. But the money we paid enabled the GSM companies to make improvements and upgrades.

Meanwhile...Nigerians and their government are starving the DISCOS and the GENCOS....of money, and we still expect miracles.?

they say we need 6billion dollars for 10kmw..buhari collected 1billiondollars to fight boko haram and we all know how that is going..nigeria can get it done if they want..but politics wont let them..hell if they do it what will they campaign with ..lol
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by theoldpretender(m): 12:39pm On Jan 02, 2019
pacificman:

they say we need 6billion dollars for 10kmw..buhari collected 1billiondollars to fight boko haram and we all know how that is going..nigeria can get it done if they want..but politics wont let them..hell if they do it what will they campaign with ..lol

Let me tell you something

Nigerian governments do want light 24/7...

The problem is, the road there involves

1.Raised bills.

2.Strict anti-corruption practices that means ending petty corruption like bribes paid for reconnection.

3.Everyone paying their fair share....which angers Nigerians getting light for free...

4.Taking massive loans....even more than what we are taking now...

And all these don't win votes

(eg...GEJ partially removed subsidy in 2012 from fuel by raising prices from N65 to N140. In the long run...it would have massively benefited our economy. But Nigerians said no, we got the subsidy back, and we wasted millions maintaining a subsidy that was not working).
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by ladilawal82(m): 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2019
Wonderful
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Johnrake69: 12:44pm On Jan 02, 2019
theoldpretender:

I daresay it could have...but even if they injected the money into power...it won't improve things much.

We need far more than that. And is it only power we would spend it (mind you, I don;t agree with them spending it on tradermoni...something like that is better run by charities, and private organisations or NGO's not government)...we have railways, university education, even health that also need that money....

Like I said earlier...we need trillions of naira...N5 trillion, to fix the whole thing. And that means bills have to go up, we take loans greater than 400million USD to improve stuff...and government agencies, and most people have to pay their bills.....

Power needs money for fixing...and since it has been mostly privatized (which is why Fashola is running three ministries combined...power no longer has much to do now that DISCOS and GENCOS are around)..the money is coming from our pockets...hence the complaint I have about people and govt agencies not paying their bills.

(Even when govt ran the thing, as NEPA, many people too did not pay their bills as well).

Bros if we are to go by your logic then the masses should be made shareholders. It's never been heard of that a business man will force out money from customers to improve their product. A business man should go out there and raise money to improve their products. The implications of increasing bills before any improvement will be nothing but a rip off.

If I have a product that is not so good... Yet I manage to increase the price and people are still paying for it then what will be the motivation to use the additional funds generated to improve the product? Firstly, more than 70% of power users are subjected estimated billing so increasing the price for power under such arrangement is nothing but daylight robbery. Let's be mindful of what we advocate for so we don't unconsciously worsen our situation.

1 Like

Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by theoldpretender(m): 12:49pm On Jan 02, 2019
Johnrake69:

Bros if we are to go by your logic then the masses should be made shareholders. It's never been heard of that a business man will force out money from customers to improve their product. A business man should go out there and raise money to improve their products. The implications of increasing bills before any improvement will be nothing but a rip off.

If I have a product that is not so good... Yet I manage to increase the price and people are still paying for it then what will be the motivation to use the additional funds generated to improve the product? Firstly, more than 70% of power users are subjected estimated billing so increasing the price for power under such arrangement is nothing but daylight robbery. Let's be mindful of what we advocate for so we don't unconsciously worsen our situation.

It's allvery well...but at the end of the day, the funding palaver is still there.

Plus.....if you increase the price of a product and you don't improve it...people will stop buying...and you lose.

See the GSM example....we all paid very high price for bad service, bad products (back in the day, you could not call between networks, etc)...but the GSM people took our money, and made things better. I think the same could happen for power supply too....

Or we keep on taking loans to add to our heavy debt burden.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 02, 2019
Fashola, the current Minister of Power, Works and Housing said that a serious government will solve Nigeria's power issues in 2 years. It is now 4yrs.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by mechanics(m): 12:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
hahahaha, that's serious o, but is the federal ministry of power, works and housing not connected to the national grid? and we are all know that most of the mega watts is concentrated in the Abuja city, then why all these unnecessary budgets on fueling of generators?
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by CioAngels(f): 1:02pm On Jan 02, 2019
ikorodureporta:

Source:https://punchng.com/power-ministry-budgets-n168m-for-generators-fuel/

Shameless vision less leaders, they are quick to call us illiterates because they are educated, yet, with their education they cannot formulate any meaningful thing to make Nigeria work. What a big shame to Nigerian leaders and the lead. Little wonder with their education a foreigners is giving them orders
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by CioAngels(f): 1:05pm On Jan 02, 2019
He is there aiding discos to extort the poor masses for darkness all because of what they can be share to their account.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by AreaFada2: 1:27pm On Jan 02, 2019
johnmba:
Is there a justification for this?

Oh zombies will find one.

Las las they can blame GEJ's great grand father who probably died like 100 years ago. They will surely find someone. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Johnrake69: 1:57pm On Jan 02, 2019
theoldpretender:

It's allvery well...but at the end of the day, the funding palaver is still there.

Plus.....if you increase the price of a product and you don't improve it...people will stop buying...and you lose.

See the GSM example....we all paid very high price for bad service, bad products (back in the day, you could not call between networks, etc)...but the GSM people took our money, and made things better. I think the same could happen for power supply too....

Or we keep on taking loans to add to our heavy debt burden.

Bros I understand your position. But for fairness, pay as you go should be achieved first before the increase. If not, it's going to be a total rip off. Pay as you go is the only measure that will ensure these companies improve their services, having in mind that customers will only pay for the power they consume like it's done in sane societies. Even a hut in an obscure village in Ghana has a prepaid meter.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by urahara(m): 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2019
theoldpretender:

Let me tell you something

Nigerian governments do want light 24/7...

The problem is, the road there involves

1.Raised bills.

2.Strict anti-corruption practices that means ending petty corruption like bribes paid for reconnection.

3.Everyone paying their fair share....which angers Nigerians getting light for free...

4.Taking massive loans....even more than what we are taking now...

And all these don't win votes

(eg...GEJ partially removed subsidy in 2012 from fuel by raising prices from N65 to N140. In the long run...it would have massively benefited our economy. But Nigerians said no, we got the subsidy back, and we wasted millions maintaining a subsidy that was not working).

So in conclusion , we won't see sensible light for the next 50 years or so
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by urahara(m): 2:01pm On Jan 02, 2019
Johnrake69:

Bros I understand your position. But for fairness, pay as you go should be achieved first before the increase. If not, it's going to be a total rip off. Pay as you go is the only measure that will ensure these companies improve their services, having in mind that customers will only pay for the power they consume like it's done in sane societies. Even a hut in an obscure village in Ghana has a prepaid meter.

Jesus grin grin grin grin
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Johnrake69: 2:05pm On Jan 02, 2019
urahara:

Jesus grin grin grin grin

That's a fact
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by henrysolution(m): 2:06pm On Jan 02, 2019
theoldpretender:
Before we bash anyone...consider this fact.

We generate less than 7000MW of power a day. For 200m people.

Before we can stop budgeting N170m for fuel for generator....we have to generate at least 40000MW plus fix the transmision

And all this needs money.

Now, the funny thing is that most of the people bashing APC or PDP for power are contributing to the problem by not paying their power bills.

And that includes a lot of government agencies as well.

Then the money we pay for power....Ghana has light 24/7 and they pay far more than we do in power bills.

So, Nigerians have to pay their bills, and we also have to pay a bill that is commensurate with the amount of money needed to fix power...because at the end of the day, we need N 5 trillion (according to a report in thisday some 20 years ago) to fix power.

We have to be realistic. Even if we vote out APC tomorrow...the problem will still be looking at us.

Ghana is like the size of OGUN state with the budget of five Nigerian states put together, even if they steal, there will be enough to make things work.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by SPius: 2:12pm On Jan 02, 2019
The major problem in Nigeria is that we need to stop thinking about wasteful ways of doing things and start thinking sustainability.

Until we think sustainability we are not going anywhere.

The danger is that, we may wake up one day and discover that our crude oil customers have moved on to other things like solar and electric cars. And that oil revenue is insufficient to run our country.

These people are toying with the future of the country.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Newboss(m): 3:10pm On Jan 02, 2019
Factfinder1:
What' a shame...they can't even think of investing that money on solar energy or something profitable... If ministry of power uses generator then how do you think Nigeria will ever have light... I've been I'm Niger state for 2 weeks the so called power state has 6hours of light a day 3 hours in the morning and 3hours at night and they didn't even do a Christmas or new year free Enjoyement of light and people still think Nigeria will ever be better

Solar is not as reliable and efficient as most people are touting it to be. Especially if you're using AC in so many rooms grin

Ask around to know how much solar components you would need to power a system with about 15 1.5hp ACs grin

You no go even know where to start, no be even money sef grin Where you go mount 100 solar panels ? grin

If it rains, you're on your own for that day grin

1 Like

Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by newsnjobs(m): 3:10pm On Jan 02, 2019
Meaning there is no concrete plan to improve power.
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Ayobami7(m): 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2019
德英国加
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by Ronjule: 5:57pm On Jan 02, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator by maxzzo1(m): 5:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
Fashola Ahahahahaha na wao

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Appoints Five New Permanent Secretaries / Lies, Lies, Lies About Buhari And The 5 Years Of Maitatsine / I'm Not Nigeria's Problem, Says Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.