Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,139 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:53 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? (5099 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by matoyeh(m): 5:04pm On Aug 09, 2010
Why would Jesus Christ say He came to bring a sword, not peace?

What is the meaning of Christ's words in Matthew 10:34?

The Christian way of life brings peace to those who live it, so Jesus Christ's comments in Matthew 10:34 seem puzzling at first. He said, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."

In order to understand what He meant, we need to look at the context in which He said these words. The audience He addressed expected and anticipated the establishment of the Kingdom of God in fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies. Christ wanted His disciples to understand that it was not yet time for Him to establish the peaceful Kingdom. Instead, He warned that Christians would face hostility for living God's way of life.

It's not that Christ instigated animosity, but rather that unconverted people resented God's truth by nature. The apostle Paul expressed this in Romans 8:7: "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be." When all people repent and are converted, God's way of life will bring peace to the entire earth (Isaiah 2:2-4; 9:7). But, until that time, Christians will encounter conflict and opposition over their beliefs and practices.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by nopuqeater: 5:41pm On Aug 09, 2010
@Matoyeh: If we only by our mind and not the action of any speaker see the peace in a hostile statement, even Adolph Hitler would be considered a Dove.

But thats not the case in reality. Jesus didnt just say he was to bring a sword, as a metaphoric expression. He acted upon it and instructed his followers of 12, from whom have "Bags" already, that those who do not have "bags" should sell their possessions and buy Physical swords.

They bought swords, didnt they? Somebody used it to chop off a military man's ear.

Thank God that He allowed Jesus the servant He sent to perform another miracle (i am accepting what the Bible say that is plausible), if the swords were put into further use, not only Jesus would have been strung on the pole. All of his companions would have died real death. To say that Jesus didnt mean exactly what he said about "SWORD", though some swords were purchased by his commands, the situation did not stop there.

Jesus was aware of the purchases and when one was used in order to protect him, he was not surprised, but cautioned about the dire consequences of a blood bath if further attempt was mounted by his group.

Finally, Paul's statements can be applied to advance any religion on the surface of the earth, including atheism. Lets look at an utopia world under Hinduism for example. All of us will be hindu and no one will fight the other because of religion. What if we are all Buhddists? the same condition will appy.

What if we are all jews, or if we are all confusionist, or Shinto, or whatever, including atheist, i say it agan? the result will be the same: no rigt based on religion. Thank God, there is no utopia. So Paul can wiggle his way out of a horrible statement which did not fit the image of Jesus he Paul wished to paint in his Moral. Jesus knew who Jesus was more than who Paul thought Jesus was. I will take jesus image of himself and throw away what Paul said wrong.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by matoyeh(m): 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Matoyeh: If we only by our mind and not the action of any speaker see the peace in a hostile statement, even Adolph Hitler would be considered a Dove.

But thats not the case in reality. Jesus didnt just say he was to bring a sword, as a metaphoric expression. He acted upon it and instructed his followers of 12, from whom have "Bags" already, that those who do not have "bags" should sell their possessions and buy Physical swords.

They bought swords, didnt they? Somebody used it to chop off a military man's ear.

Thank God that He allowed Jesus the servant He sent to perform another miracle (i am accepting what the Bible say that is plausible), if the swords were put into further use, not only Jesus would have been strung on the pole. All of his companions would have died real death. To say that Jesus didnt mean exactly what he said about "SWORD", though some swords were purchased by his commands, the situation did not stop there.

Jesus was aware of the purchases and when one was used in order to protect him, he was not surprised, but cautioned about the dire consequences of a blood bath if further attempt was mounted by his group.

Finally, Paul's statements can be applied to advance any religion on the surface of the earth, including atheism. Lets look at an utopia world under Hinduism for example. All of us will be hindu and no one will fight the other because of religion. What if we are all Buhddists? the same condition will appy.

What if we are all jews, or if we are all confusionist, or Shinto, or whatever, including atheist, i say it agan? the result will be the same: no rigt based on religion. Thank God, there is no utopia. So Paul can wiggle his way out of a horrible statement which did not fit the image of Jesus he Paul wished to paint in his Moral. Jesus knew who Jesus was more than who Paul thought Jesus was. I will take jesus image of himself and throw away what Paul said wrong.
Thanks alot bro
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by Joagbaje(m): 8:29am On Aug 10, 2010
Mt 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword

We should bring our minds back to the words that were spoken over jesus at his dedication in the temple by simeon and hannah.

Lu 2:34
And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;

Jesus was making reference to this fact. because the gospel will be spoken against by many. Even till now.Many will fight the truth. Even on Nairaland!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:37am On Aug 10, 2010
^^^ HUH!!

Shey you wan use biblical gymnastics confuse us.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by Image123(m): 9:07am On Aug 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

Mt 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword

We should bring our minds back to the words that were spoken over jesus at his dedication in the temple by simeon and hannah.

Lu 2:34
And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;

Jesus was making reference to this fact. because the gospel will be spoken against by many. Even till now.Many will fight the truth. Even on Nairaland!
Touche
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by BillyHobe: 7:20pm On Aug 14, 2010
34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

(A prophetic statement)

Yes for the Kingdoms sake, shall many be offended. Also the Sword is representation of future (to send) a sword,

Out of his mouth comes a sharp two edged sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.

But with righteousness He will judge the poor, And decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth; And He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked.

I have trodden the wine trough alone, And from the peoples there was no man with Me. I also trod them in My anger And trampled them in My wrath; And their lifeblood is sprinkled on My garments, And I stained all My raiment.
Put in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe. Come, tread, for the wine press is full; The vats overflow, for their wickedness is great.

Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;

In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength.

AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON, AS THE VESSELS OF THE POTTER ARE BROKEN TO PIECES, as I also have received authority from My Father;

So the angel swung his sickle to the earth and gathered the clusters from the vine of the earth, and threw them into the great wine press of the wrath of God.
And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and blood came out from the wine press, up to the horses' bridles, for a distance of two hundred miles.
And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

He shall break them with a rod of iron, He shall shatter them like earthenware.'"

There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this.
But with righteousness He will judge the poor, And decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth; And He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked.

His name is Jesus
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by aletheia(m): 5:28am On Aug 15, 2010
Billy Hobe:

(A prophetic statement)
Yes for the Kingdoms sake, shall many be offended. Also the Sword is representation of future (to send) a sword,
His name is Jesus
^^And He is Lord of Lords and King of Kings! And His Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by firebrand: 4:39pm On Aug 16, 2010
34"Think not that I am com to send peace on earth: I am come not to send peace but a sword. 35 For I am come to send a man at variance against father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daugther in law against her mother in law".

The above words of christ is not indicating the sword to fight your enemies as some religions would interprete it. In verse 35, he goes further to mention son and father to be at loggerheads, daugther and mother etc. The simple meaning is that once anyone trully gives his life to Christ and experience the peace of God that accomplishes salvation, such fellow would not like to associate with the worldly behaviours that is against his new found faith.

A son that used to buy cigarette or alcohol for his father will suddenly refuse to do same. Call it radicallism, but that is the good fight of faith. He will be against every thing that unholly, and would not dance to the unholly lives of his brethren. In the process, there wont be peace between the father and the son. THAT IS THE SWORD!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? by ACITYOFTRUTH: 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2013
What Jesus means is d continuation or explanation of what God did at tower of babel Gen 11/7,God confused d language of d whole earth that every one may go back to seek his neighbour to continue the work of reaching onto Him the only work He has given to mankind Jn 15/16,God intentionally set man against his neighbour Zec 8/10c,that u may seek in truth Zec 8/16. Jesus did not come to alter that but fulfil it, Mat 5/17.Nobody comes to any one except by God Jn 6/65.

(1) (Reply)

How Stem Cells And MRNA Vaccines Could Be Used To Cure Many Diseases / GOD: What A Powerful Native Doctor Told Me / The Gospel Of Materialism – Nigerian Pentecostalism And Hypocrisy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.