Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,118 members, 7,849,494 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:34 PM

Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed (1249 Views)

5 Sets Of Persons Who Betrayed Jonathan... And Nemesis Is Catching Up With Them / CIA Brought Me To Power - Charles Taylor / Has Charles Taylor Escaped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by matoyeh(m): 8:21pm On Aug 09, 2010
"AU leaders had an agreement that facilitated peace in Liberia. It's shameful how Obasanjo threw Charles Taylor under the bus after pressure from the Europeans and America (not a signatory to the so-called UN court). For four years Iraq went through a wave of brutal ethnic cleansing, I don't see the UN Court going after the Iraqi Cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr and Co. as well as those brutal Afghan tribal war lords; all of whom the US State Department and other foreign powers struck deals (with). I believe African leaders need to grow more "spine", there will be more ridiculous demands by western countries and the UN to change some part of our constitution in a few years."-- Yele Odofin-Belo.

In many respects Mr. Yele Odofin-Belo is absolutely right. This was the betrayal of the century and, in my view, those that should have known better panicked at the last minute and broke ranks. But I do not believe that Obasanjo was amongst those that betrayed anybody. To be fair to President Olusegun Obasanjo he was, in fact, the last man standing and he resisted the pressure until it all came to a head during a state visit to America when George W. Bush refused to see him until Taylor was produced. Ironically the real traitor was not Obasanjo but rather President Ellen Sirlief-Johnson of Liberia,  embarassed

Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by Mariory(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2010
Who gives a shit. Taylor is a man that murdered and maimed for life thousands of his fellow West Africans. Who gives a shit if he was betrayed. Africa has enough problems of it's own without people like him. One less mad man.
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by ElRazur: 8:55pm On Aug 09, 2010
Mariory:

Who gives a poo. Taylor is a man that murdered and maimed for life thousands of his fellow West Africans. Who gives a poo if he was betrayed. Africa has enough problems of it's own without people like him. One less mad man.

Hard to disagree with points.

However, the OP may have a point for saying Bush is not a saint either.
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by tunnytox(m): 10:19pm On Aug 09, 2010
I don't care whether Taylor was betrayed or not, the fact remains that this man is a mass muderer, He killed a lot of Nigerians as well and deserves no mercy. Taylor's son is currently serving a long term jail sentence in US for crimes against humanity he commited in Liberia whislt his father was the president. The issue here is not about betrayal its about justice to thousands of people who are affected by Taylor's extreme thirst for power many of who are killed, raped, tortured, maimed, cannibalised or orphaned.
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by tunnytox(m): 10:26pm On Aug 09, 2010
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by Ndipe(m): 10:44pm On Aug 09, 2010
Having sympathies for a mass murderer. pity!
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by philip0906(m): 10:47pm On Aug 09, 2010
betrayed?I learnt he killed millions,so y should d betrayal be a topic?
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by na2day(m): 10:50am On Aug 10, 2010
i once met a nigerian that got caught up in d liberian civil war,d hair raising stories he narrated about d atrocities meted out to nigerIans by taylor's forces was unimaginable & yet we granted d psychopath an asylum?
have u all forgotten how he cruely ordered the murder of two nige ian journast . . .

In August, 1990, two Nigerian journalists, Tayo Awotunsin of the Daily Champion, and Krees Imodibe of The Guardian disappeared in Monrovia, where they were covering the Liberian Civil War. They were later discovered to have died at the hands of rebels belonging to Charles Taylor’s National Patriotic Front of Liberia.

BETRAYED? BETRAYED? ? BETRAYED? ? ?
the person dat was betrayed were the peopLe he murdered, directly or indirectly.
My only wonder was why obj had to give him asylum in d first place?
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 10, 2010
@matoyeh.
First Obasanjo did not know when he placed a whole Sovereign nation at the mercy of a poorly defined court presided over by a party with interest (a French Judge) and so we gave out Bakassi like little fun men. Then he also did not know when after offering asylum to an African President he waited till US placed an illegal bounty on his head and proceeded to chased him out of the house, so the dogs can have their fill.

In very like manner we will not know when our independence will be mortgaged for the selfish ambition of a single individual.
Let it be known to readers that no US, UK, Russia, Japanese citizen or Israeli is subject to a world court. Infact the mere fact that US and UK reject the court at Hague means it is no world court at all. Yet we are all queing up to get justice.  The idea of world court so negates and clashes with the definition of sovereignty of nations, that Nigeria is one of the very first nations to swallow the pills. And not only that, went  on to mortage other African nations by her actions. I hope Obasanjo will not oneday find himself at the world court for the mass murder he committed in Odi, delta state or rather inability of western interests to fully enjoy there investments in the Niger Delta.

No matter how bad Taylor was, he should be judged by his people in Liberia, or the so called people he affected in Sierre lone
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by marcus1234: 11:05am On Aug 10, 2010
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by matoyeh(m): 11:31am On Aug 10, 2010
KenGali:

@matoyeh.
First Obasanjo did not know when he placed a whole Sovereign nation at the mercy of a poorly defined court presided over by a party with interest (a French Judge) and so we gave out Bakassi like little fun men. Then he also did not know when after offering asylum to an African President he waited till US placed an illegal bounty on his head and proceeded to chased him out of the house, so the dogs can have their fill.

In very like manner we will not know when our independence will be mortgaged for the selfish ambition of a single individual.
Let it be known to readers that no US, UK, Russia, Japanese citizen or Israeli is subject to a world court. Infact the mere fact that US and UK reject the court at Hague means it is no world court at all. Yet we are all queing up to get justice.  The idea of world court so negates and clashes with the definition of sovereignty of nations, that Nigeria is one of the very first nations to swallow the pills. And not only that, went  on to mortage other African nations by her actions. I hope Obasanjo will not oneday find himself at the world court for the mass murder he committed in Odi, delta state or rather inability of western interests to fully enjoy there investments in the Niger Delta.

No matter how bad Taylor was, he should be judged by his people in Liberia, or the so called people he affected in Sierre lone
shocked the fact remains that he betrayed and was betrayed too
na2day!:

i once met a nigerian that got caught up in d liberian civil war,d hair raising stories he narrated about d atrocities meted out to nigerIans by taylor's forces was unimaginable & yet we granted d psychopath an asylum?
have u all forgotten how he cruely ordered the murder of two nige ian journast . . .

In August, 1990, two Nigerian journalists, Tayo Awotunsin of the Daily Champion, and Krees Imodibe of The Guardian disappeared in Monrovia, where they were covering the Liberian Civil War. They were later discovered to have died at the hands of rebels belonging to Charles Taylor’s National Patriotic Front of Liberia. cry
philip0906 link=topic=494209.msg6543537#msg6543537 date=1281390468:

betrayed?I learnt he killed millions,so y should d betrayal be a topic?

BETRAYED? BETRAYED? ? BETRAYED? ? ?
the person dat was betrayed were the peopLe he murdered, directly or indirectly.
My only wonder was why obj had to give him asylum in d first place?
Gbam!!! grin
Mariory:

Who gives a poo. Taylor is a man that murdered and maimed for life thousands of his fellow West Africans. Who gives a poo if he was betrayed. Africa has enough problems of it's own without people like him. One less mad man.
tongue
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by dustydee: 2:18pm On Aug 10, 2010
In my opinion an agreement was breached.someone else will think twice before surrendering or going on exile in future.
Re: Charles Taylor: A Man Betrayed by Ndipe(m): 10:40pm On Aug 10, 2010
KenGali:

@matoyeh.

So called? Are you serious?

(1) (Reply)

Governor Timipre Sylva Is A Drowning Man – Alaibe / . / Please Post Ekiti, Ogun, Oyo,imo,benue,osun,kwara And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.