Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal (34906 Views)

2023: Atiku Employs 19 SANs To Challenge Tinubu’s Victory / Peter Obi Hires 20 SANs To Challenge Presidential Election Result / Saraki Assembles Sans To Battle Police Over Invitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Islie: 10:39pm On Jan 12, 2019
By Adelanwa Bamgboye

No fewer than 150 Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) have volunteered to put up their appearances in defence of the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen on Monday, before the Justice Danladi Yakubu led-Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

This is coming on the heels of the federal government’s resolve to arraign and prefer criminal charges against the CJN on Monday January 14, 2019 before the CCT in Abuja over alleged failure to declare his assets as required by law and for operating Bank Domiciliary Foreign Currency Accounts.

Constitutional lawyer, Sebastine Hon, SAN in a telephone chat with Daily Trust on Saturday said the number of eminent lawyers that have volunteered to defend the CJN might even be more than 150.

All efforts to get the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, SAN, to comment on this development tonight failed as he neither picks calls nor reply text messages sent to his mobile lines.

The constitutional lawyer described the six-count criminal charge against the CJN as a deliberate attempt to gag the judiciary.

In a statement on Saturday, Sebastine Hon, SAN also urged the CJN not to heed to what he termed as an “unholy call” for him to step aside.

He said: “While I know that the Chief Justice of Nigeria does not enjoy immunity from criminal prosecution, I see this move by the Federal Government as dangerously political and tendentious.

“Suddenly, we woke to see a petition leaked to the informal or social media, allegedly received by the Code of Conduct on 9th January, 2019.

“Suddenly, we are told charges have been filed against the CJN. Suddenly the Presidency is reportedly asking him to step aside! Was he interrogated or interviewed and his own reactions obtained?”
The FG among others is accusing Nigeria’s head of the judiciary of refusal to declare his assets in breach of the provision of the Code of Conduct Bureau Act.

He is also being accused of maintaining domiciliary foreign currencies account which comprised of Dollars Account, Pound Sterling Account and Euro Account which were alleged to be contrary to relevant laws, especially for public office holders.

It was also gathered that the FG has by implication ordered the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen to immediately vacate office.

Also speaking, a Lagos-based constitutional lawyer, Barrister Johnson Esezebo, said there is no sentiment in law, adding that whoever runs contrary to the law should face the music.

“If the CJN has run contrary to the law, he should be made to face the music. I want to remind us what Justice Akinola Aguda, of the blessed memory said in 1978 when handling a case in which a lawyer was found guilty.

“He said ‘because you are a lawyer, who is supposed to know better, I will give you the maximum punishment’, prescribed under this act.

“I want lawyers, and judges to know that if politicians can fail the society, military can fail the society, lawyers cannot afford to fail the society or else we are all doomed. We should not drag sentiment into law. No matter the people’s nomenclature, tribe, religion, we should be guided by the law”, the lawyer said.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/150-sans-to-defend-cjn-at-tribunal.html

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Chileads(m): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hmm
Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Afamed: 10:43pm On Jan 12, 2019
Let him prove his innocence. No sacred cow here

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by sarrki(m): 10:44pm On Jan 12, 2019
Dead on arrival

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by SalamRushdie: 10:45pm On Jan 12, 2019
Buhari the Dullard has set himself up

163 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2019
The most important thing remains that the CJN will neither resign nor step aside.He would remain in power like Saraki and fight this charges

212 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by sarrki(m): 10:51pm On Jan 12, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
The most important thing remains that the CJN will neither resign nor step aside.He would remain in power like Saraki and fight this charges

Chukwudi you will know by 30 something days to come

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by sarrki(m): 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Buhari the Dullard has set himself up

You love corruption dearly

You do hate D west side

I confirmed this to you

I have seen where you have denegrated osinbajo and all the southwest leaders

I have never seen you speak well of any south west leader

Even I myself avoid you so many times you call me names

Just coz of obi and your region

58 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:54pm On Jan 12, 2019
sarrki:

Chukwudi you will know by 30 something days to come
The same way you people were shouting reconvene the senate in September and impeach saraki.Bunch of noise makers.it is even easier to remove saraki than to remove Onnoggen

176 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by CilicMarin: 10:54pm On Jan 12, 2019
grin grin grin This Wike charge and bail thinks Nigerians or the FG will be intimidated by mentioning 200 SANs ...

LMAO!

Useless lawyers..

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by sarrki(m): 10:54pm On Jan 12, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

The same way you people were shouting reconvene the senate in September and impeach saraki.Bunch of noise makers.it is even easier to remove saraki than to remove Onnoggen

Your eyes go soon clear

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Lordofthewest(m): 10:57pm On Jan 12, 2019
150 lawyers not just lawyers senior advocates for one person??..But why now wey election don almost reach, what exactly is this bubu government up to now?

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by kettykin: 10:57pm On Jan 12, 2019
How come no body is facing tribunal for running for an office without the requisite qualifications and credentials. It seems this country is badly cursed and filled with hypocrites. Tufiakwa !!! May i never come back as a Nigerian in my next life. I can come as an American igbo or Cameroon igbo

In a sane western country, Buhari would have been serving a life jail sentence, first for the 1984 treason against an elected democratic government. Secondly for running for an office without the requisite qualifications and credentials and thirdly for masterminding the shooting of unarmed protesters.

But here is being prodded by some people to go for a second term in office.

122 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by kirkwood: 10:58pm On Jan 12, 2019
Buhari's government wants to crucify itself. Period. Bad move

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by FredAndrew: 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2019
150 Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by shachris02: 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2019
Nice one.

The dullard from duara must be taught a lesson

Next thing they will start arresting these Sans.

Just watch.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Nigeriabiafra80: 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2019
OK, no case for cjn, reason buhari didn't follow the right procedure
SAN:is there a mapped out procedure to try a CJN?yes, was it followed? No
Judge:prosecutor go back and follow procedure

10 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Yankee101: 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2019
Why do i feel good about the Nigerian judiciary when i look at all the branches of government?

I duff my cap, oh ye learned fellows

This is truly the end of Buhari

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by ehissi(m): 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
What is sauce for goose is sauce for gander. It was once said of this treachery we now call a government, that a man is presumed innocent until found guilty by a competent court of jurisdiction.

This argument held sway here and everywhere else, where staunch supporters of people like Magu, Amaechi, Babachir Lawal, etc when they had petitions raised against them.

The questions we now need to ask are;
1. Is Justice Onnoghen a robot or a man?
2. For now is he presumed Innocent yes or no?
3. Has he been proven guilty as we speak in a court of competent jurisdiction?

If we know the answers to these questions, then why rant helter skelter!?

If we cannot make men like Magu and Amaechi to step aside while cases against them are raised, then leave the Honourable Justice alone......Datzall

Modified:

That man is the head of the judiciary, which is a third arm of government. If the head of any arm of government is found wanting, there are disciplinary structures, embedded within such systems so as to respect the dignity of such offices.

Any attempt to circumvent/bypass such system, using legal technicalities by people who are learned, ought to be looked upon with suspicion.

That's why most commentators make reference to Saraki, he is the head of the legislature, the second arm of government. If you dont want him, take advantage of systems within his own arm of government and rid yourself of him, but trying to use strong arm tactics to push him out sets a bad precedence.

Tomorrow what if PDP wins presidential election and the next Senate president is from APC, you have successfully set a bad example for them or any other government to follow.

Of which all this is a non-issue, if truly the dignity of the office of CJN is to be respected. After reviewing such a petition, a simple letter to the CJN via the NJC demanding him to update his asset declaration details will suffice, then if he refuses to declare what he has now acquired, then and only then can you go after him, but because they want him out because he doesnt accept nonsense from the executive is what is bringing all this rubbish.

If it was Mr President this was happening to, you will hear their supporters demanding that the dignity of his office should be respected but the head of the judiciary doesnt deserve same.

A simple review of even President Buhari's asset declaration will butress my point. Even within the armed forces the same applies, the stress of having an auditor to come and review your assets and assist in declaration is enough to promote certain inaccuracies but using that to vilify the CJN because you want a pro-APC person there is uncivilised.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
sarrki:

You love corruption dearly

You do hate D west side

I confirmed this to you

I have seen where you have denegrated osinbajo and all the southwest leaders

I have never seen you speak well of any south west leader

Even I myself avoid you so many times you call me names

Just coz of obi and your region

cool cool
[img]https:///media/1-13-2018/SE31db.gif[/img]

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by GIFTD: 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
That's if the 150 SANs are able to scale him through.
PaChukwudi44:

3 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by ozo13(m): 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hehehe.they get some case 500+ sans no go fit defend .
Game on.

3 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by georjay(m): 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
Okay
Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by yrex01(m): 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
I too enjoy this government. U do anyhow, u see anyhow. If it's like this d nation v been, we should v gone very far !!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by PaChukwudi44(m): 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
sarrki:

Your eyes go soon clear
I will take you serious when you impeach saraki.Noise makers.Onnoggen will be CJN till 2020 before end of April the supreme court will sack the usurper Oyetola from office

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by GentleMoney: 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hmmmmmmmm....
Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by lastempero: 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
Odinma.
Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by Pastorlarry: 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
shachris02:
Nice one.

The dullard from duara must be taught a lesson

Next thing they will start arresting these Sans.

Just watch.

Look at this jonsing man,can you fight the FG,keep bonding till 2050

7 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by 9jaArea: 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2019
Normal thing for wealthy offenders in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: 150 Sans To Defend CJN At Tribunal by PaChukwudi44(m): 11:02pm On Jan 12, 2019
GIFTD:
That's if the 150 SANs are able to scale him through.
This case will take years and will still end up at the supreme court.This is political suicide for the APC.

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Punishment For Snatching Ballot Boxes In America Is Death - Tony Momoh / Oby Ezekwesili Appointed Nexford University Board Of Directors Member / Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso Campaigns In Kano (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.