Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term (6334 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:22am On Aug 12, 2010
•Says South-east should provide president in 2015
From Aisha Wakaso in Minna, 08.12.2010
ThisDay

Former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, has said categorically that if elected president in 2011, he will not seek a second term in office.
Babangida who ruled the country as military president for eight years from 1985 to 1993 said his intention to run for the office of President come 2011 is only for one term.
[size=15pt]He also said after one-term in 2011, it would be his desire to see that power moves from the North to the South-east to demonstrate the full integration of the Igbo into the mainstream of the country, pointing out that, that is the only way to put an end completely to the 30 months civil war.[/size]

The unstated problem about zoning, which is tearing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) apart, is what happens in 2015.
If the North, which is insisting that power should revert back to it to complete its two terms truncated by the death of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, gets back to power in 2011, what is the guarantee that it would not insist on another term.

And what is also the guarantee that President Goodluck Jonathan, for whom those canvassing that zoning be jettisoned are rooting, will also do just one term if given the opportunity.
But the former president, who spoke to THISDAY in a telephone interview yesterday in Minna, said he is aware that the North has one term left after the demise of late President Yar’Adua, stating that he is not interested in remaining as president beyond 2015 if given the mandate.
Babangida added that his intention to spend one term as president if elected is to further reinforce the zoning idea and allow other parts of the country have a fair share of the topmost office.

The former president is one of the Northern leaders pushing for the retention of PDP zoning arrangement under which they insist power should return to the North by 2011.
PDP National Executive Committee (NEC) is meeting today in Abuja to take a decision on zoning and other crucial issues.
“In 2015, I will love to see that an Igbo man becomes President of this country so that it will fully put an end to the civil war matter and fully integrate them into Nigeria . After the civil war, they need to completely feel like Nigerians,” he said. 

Babangida said his advocacy for zoning is not a war against President Goodluck Jonathan but a crusade for equity, justice and fair play as well as peace and unity, which General Yakubu Gowon fought to keep the country together.
He said: “[size=15pt]When we were advocating for zoning, it was not because anyone had or has anything against our President Jonathan but we were advocating for zoning to maintain equity, justice and fair play in the country[/size]”

Babangida further stated that the idea of zoning, which has been causing uproar in the country in recent times, would only be complete after an Igbo man becomes the president of Nigeria in 2015.
[size=15pt]If we must make every one believe that he belongs to this country, then it is after an Igbo man has been given the opportunity of being president in 2015 [/size] to complete the programme of fighting for the unity of this country by General Gowon,” he added.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:30am On Aug 12, 2010
Another joke from the comedian from hell. Hear him:

[size=15pt]"He also said after one-term in 2011, it would be his desire to see that power moves from the North to the South-east to demonstrate the full integration of the Igbo into the mainstream of the country, pointing out that, that is the only way to put an end completely to the 30 months civil war."[/size]

In IBB's mind if there is one thing that would pacify the Igbo nation 40 years after the end of a 30-month civil war it can wait - it can wait until IBB has had another 4 years to complete a 12 year rule of Nigeria.

For your sake I hope Igbo people are not buying this crap. Isn't the right thing for the North to say to the Igbo nation is this: "We want unity in this country, we 'll give you this turn and wait our turn in 2019. No, IBB promises he only wants one term - to do what exactly?

Wonders shall never end, but Nigeria will if it continues this way!
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:36am On Aug 12, 2010
Zoning agreement became alive only to give Igbos equal opportunity to lead this nation.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:37am On Aug 12, 2010
Uncle Jonathan was selected as Yaradua's VP only because of the zoning agreement.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:39am On Aug 12, 2010
Zoning agreement must be acknowledged, or else it will take another 50 yrs to see another Igbo president.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:39am On Aug 12, 2010
Good, let's talk about his. So, let's say zoning is even desirable. Where does it specify which ethnic group is president and at what time, and for how long?

Don't keep me waiting.

Big B1:

Zoning agreement became alive only to give Igbos equal opportunity to lead this nation.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:41am On Aug 12, 2010
99% of Igbos supported zoning agreement up until Yaradua died
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:42am On Aug 12, 2010
I didn't know the Igbos already had a president.
And whose words are you counting on again?
Let's even say the North can have it in 2011 - look at who they are sending - IBB? Atiku?

Big B1:

Zoning agreement must be acknowledged, or else it will take another 50 yrs to see another Igbo president.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:42am On Aug 12, 2010
Zoning agreement should be treated as a priceless gift by the Igbos
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:43am On Aug 12, 2010
Oh yeah! Is that how IBB is planning to count the votes in 2011 - 99% voted for IBB?

Nothing ever has 99% support!

Big B1:

99% of Igbos supported zoning agreement up until Yaradua died
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:44am On Aug 12, 2010
look at who they are sending - IBB? Atiku?

And may I ask you who the Igbos are "sending"?
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:45am On Aug 12, 2010
99% is a figure of speech; it means majority of Igbos supported zoning agreement
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:46am On Aug 12, 2010
Oga, I beg go to bed.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:47am On Aug 12, 2010
Majority is a nebulous concept - 99% on the other hand is a number.

I guess it is right for me to say 0% of Igbo support zoning agreement - since we are talking figure of speech with numbers now!

Big B1:

99% is a figure of speech; it means majority of Igbos supported zoning agreement
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:49am On Aug 12, 2010
If IBB isn't good enough to lead this nation, please feel free to name who is suitable enough.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:49am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

Oga, I beg go to bed.

Go to bed? You must be kidding. IBB will burn Nigeria down if he his allowed near Aso Rock one more time. Anybody who remotely loves Nigeria should not rest until he shown to be a joke that he truly is.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:51am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

If IBB isn't good enough to lead this nation, please feel free to name who is suitable enough.

I will debate other candidates at another time, but it is anybody but IBB for now! There are more suitable and enlightened candidates all over Nigeria - North, East, West, S-S, etc, but not the con-man call IBB.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:52am On Aug 12, 2010
Majority is a nebulous concept - 99% on the other hand is a number
A very large number of igbos supported zoning agreement up until yaradua died.

How does that sound?
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:53am On Aug 12, 2010
There are more suitable and enlightened candidates all over Nigeria

Name 1?
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by chyz(m): 2:54am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

Yeah right! Like the Igbos are suppose to believe such lies. Igbo presidency does not rely on the decision of a couple hausa/fulanis. if they want presidency make they go to Chad na Niger. No zoning! after one region gets zoning it will take forever for it to come back to that region.what king of slavery system is that?!!!!!!!
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 2:56am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

A very large number of igbos supported zoning agreement up until yaradua died.

How does that sound?

The kind of majority that you and IBB are counting in Naira units in the night?

Majority of Igbo were looking forward to Alex Ekwueme's presidency in 1986/87, but it had to wait for someone's ambition. Correct, that would be IBB. His ambition set in motion 14 years of misrule, corruption and total destruction of the Nigerian fighting spirit. Never again we must say this time.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 2:57am On Aug 12, 2010
Nothing against Igbos; I love them so much, they make good wives.
But Igbos need zoning agreement more than anything else to come close to Aso Rock.

Just ask uncle Jonathan how he got his current position.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by bkbabe97y(m): 2:59am On Aug 12, 2010
Lol. hahahahahahahha. Watch the Ibo crabs ---with their low self-esteem--- believe this joker!
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 3:00am On Aug 12, 2010
IBB will rule for only one term and Nigerians will experience a lifetime miracle. You will never regret casting your vote for our one and only, the incredible IBB.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by chyz(m): 3:03am On Aug 12, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Lol. hahahahahahahha. Watch the Ibo crabs ---with their low self-esteem--- believe this joker!

Go finish your dinner! grin
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by bkbabe97y(m): 3:05am On Aug 12, 2010
chyz:

Go finish your dinner! grin

Chyzzzzzzz, ma nicca! G'ahead and vote for the killer! lol
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 3:06am On Aug 12, 2010
Zoning Or Not, Ibb’ll Be President –pdp Chieftain !

Alhaji Danladi Anyo is a die-hard loyalist of former military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida. He speaks on the General’s chances in the 2011 presidential elections. He spoke to CHIMAOBI UCHENDU

Chairman of non-indigenes resident in Lagos and a chieftain of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Danladi Auyo, is confident that former military President, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB) will be sworn in as president in 2011.
In a chat with Daily Sun recently, Danladi said President Goodluck Jonathan will bite the dust during PDP’s primaries.
He said all the noise about incumbency will be silenced when all the sycophants deceiving him would desert him.
He said Nigerians will vote out PDP in the general elections if IBB fails to get the ticket, advising the party to be wise not to allow their ticket fall into wrong hands.

“I know how the primaries of PDP work and with the amendments which the National Assembly has put in place to avoid consensus candidates, I can bet you that President Jonathan will not win.
But in the event where the party decides otherwise, I can assure you that PDP will bite the dust during the elections.
I am equally surprised that the Group of 34 wise men, who midwifed PDP have not come out to defend the decision they took in the interest of the country.

They agreed in 1998 that the party would rotate the Presidency for stability, and if that decision is not tenable now, it would have been more honourable for them to speak up now.
These elders have exposed themselves to the larger society and they are making a mockery of an arrangement which is for the good of Nigeria. So, we are advising them to take a look at that Constitution once again, and return to the zoning arrangement.
Yes, without zoning, PDP will lose 2011 election. If you look at the people who are in PDP now, based on G34 and their followers they have interest based on that arrangement. That arrangement was why Buhari lost the 1999, 2003 and 2007 elections.
I think it is better for PDP to decide what is the best solution. I watch with dismay the activities of some governors. They are all products of zoning in their different states, but they pretend as if it never existed.
The problem facing the party is not from the north as they want us to believe. Most Nigerians from all the geo-political zones are disenchanted and this might work against them.

Look, winning elections in Nigeria goes beyond winning a party ticket to contest. Remember that we have over five registered parties and any of them can win election if they present a credible candidate.
All I am saying is that no one can lay claim to the position of president until after the election and as I see it, it will be too close to call.
IBB will not withdraw from the PDP party primaries because clearly he has the spread that can give him victory. I am so sure. If you look at his capability even after 17 years since he left office he still commands the respect of the electorate.
When we talk of freedom, there is no freedom in politics, there is no freedom in politics. There is also no security in politics; These are attributes which have characterised the polity since the present democratic dispensation.

Security has been bad. The economy has not improved. While the poor are getting poorer, the politicians are swimming in wealth.
In all these, we have to blame former President Olusegun Obasanjo for his ambition to continue to hold on to power. I think that he is doing this because Nigerians refused him Third Term. If not why will he not come out and speak on the arrangement that brought him to power.
When the G34 invited him to rule the country after he came out of prison, he was told the arrangement on ground which he agreed to. But now, he is denying it. IBB respects him as his former boss, and an elder statesman. That was why he supported him in 1998/99.
He equally supported him during his second term bid but opposed him when he came up with the idea of Third Term. I think that was where he started having other ideas about IBB.

Now, tell me, if there was no arrangement about zoning, how come Obasanjo dropped his beloved son, Peter Odili for the late Yar’Adua when his Third Term ambition crashed. We should fear God Almighty in whatever thing we set out to do in this world, because we must answer questions after our death.
On the election proper, I have the belief that the newly installed members of INEC will conduct credible elections. The people in that commission are men and women of integrity which has been tested over the years.

Attahiru Jega proved himself a tool too hard to manipulate in his days in the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
He also distinguished himself as a lecturer in Bayero University, Kano (BUK). So, I have no doubt in my mind that he will save us from tyrants who are bent on tarnishing the image of our country.
Shekarau is not well known in Nigeria. He is only known in Kano State. We need someone who is well accepted all over the country. In fact, we need someone who is mobile.
Obasanjo
I say this because that was the same scenario that happened when the late President Yar’Adua was thrown up by Obasanjo. He was not known by Nigerians. But the North had to accept him because of the tight corner they found themselves. The North will not allow this kind of thing again, and I can bet you that IBB will change all that.
Most of our politicians are not straightforward. They say something today and change their statements the next day. We must learn to emulate the ways of the founding fathers of our great nation like Aminu Kano, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Tafawa Balewa and Obafemi Awolowo.
These men not only developed this nation, but they threw away ethnic and sectional sentiments for me and you to still say one Nigeria.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/politics/2010/aug/11/politics-11-08-2010-004.htm
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by koruji(m): 3:06am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

Name 1?

You mean you are really that much into IBB that you see no better candidate from the North to move this nation forward other than IBB. From the North - what about a youthful, energetic Ribadu (oh is young - but he is the same age as the U.S. president your ~70 yr IBB would be yes-sir-ing if he ever (God-forbid) win.

What about Rufai. While Yar'dua was busy NOT doing his job look at what he did, even with how they were dragging his name in the mud and cuddling Ibori:
"He also attended post-graduate programs at Harvard Business School and Georgetown University. Since leaving public service, Nasir has completed an LL.B degree from the University of London, graduating in August 2008 with Second Class Honors, Upper Division, and a Master's Degree in Public Administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University in June 2009. He also received the Kennedy School Certificate in Public Policy and Management having been spent 11 months as an Edward A. Mason Fellow in Public Policy and Management from July 2008 to June 2009."

These are the kind of people that the North needs to send if it should be taken seriously in the Nigeria of tomorrow. There are many more- bottom line is we need people that can at least understand the word "Education" and that we can talk to without being told to hold our tongues when it comes to public policy and issues.

Right now you have someone sitting in the chair who can talk to the world from a vantage point of knowledge and you want to kick him off for a 2-bit general whose claim to fame were stealing government, and money and lives? Are you f**** kidding me?
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 3:06am On Aug 12, 2010
Too much story, just name 1?
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by chyz(m): 3:09am On Aug 12, 2010
Big B1:

Nothing against Igbos; I love them so much, they make good wives.
But Igbos need zoning agreement more than anything else to come close to Aso Rock.

Just ask uncle Jonathan how he got his current position.

Thats redundant we all already know igbo women make good wives but thats not the matter at hand. Igbos dont need zoning anymore that anybody in this country but it seems an tho northerners are craving for it more than anything. i wonder why?hhhhmmmm. i could be hecause they dont really have the population as the south and that they never one presidency without a coup;except for the embarrassing rigging of yaradua, buhahahahah  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by chyz(m): 3:13am On Aug 12, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Chyzzzzzzz, ma nicca! G'ahead and vote for the killer! lol

only if the same thing is promised to happen to him as abiola, then ill vote with pleasure. grin
Re: Ibb: I’d Do Only One Term by BigB11(m): 3:14am On Aug 12, 2010
Just like many other lost Nigerians, You continue to bash a man that is publicly asking to be given a chance to come and clean up this country, but yet you find it very difficult to name a single candidate that can match IBB's magnificent capabilities.

We must look ahead of sentiment and allow a real leader to lead this nation to the promise land.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ANAMBRA; The LIGHT Of The Nation / The World Changes On Monday, December 29, 2014! / Cabinet......buhari Insist On Fashola As Tinubu Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.