Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Fela Durotoye & The Coalition Of Young Presidential Candidates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Durotoye & The Coalition Of Young Presidential Candidates (281 Views)

Why Is No One Talking About Sowore And Other Young Presidential Aspirants? / Fela Durotoye Cautioning A ‘Big Man’ To Join The Queue At Abuja Airport (Video) / Fela Durotoye Dancing In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fela Durotoye & The Coalition Of Young Presidential Candidates by Figoinc(m): 2:34pm On Jan 13, 2019
“Fela, you need to team up with Sowore, Oby & Moghalu.”

“Fela, you need to step down for the others. You’re a nice guy.”

“Fela, if you really want this New Nigeria, then you must bring all the other candidates to the table. We are depending on you to do this for our generation.”

“If you guys don’t come together, you will split our votes and it will be a waste of time, all of you will lose.”

- • - • - • - • -

So here’s my take on this critical issue of building a COALITION of credible alternatives to the existing political class that have held us bound so far.

I hear you all and totally agree with the imperative for a coalition especially among the younger candidates already mentioned, as well as other great minds like Tope Fasua, Ahmed Buhari, Dr. Nicolas Felix, Shina Fagbenro Byron and several other fantastic candidates on this race.

Imagine a Unity government (or as I like to say YOU’nited Government) of all these amazingly bright Nigerians. Clearly, the emergence of a great nation will happen right before our very eyes.

And whilst I hold on to the hope and trust that our generation can still pull this together, the truth is that it is quite hard to have a coalition when some people say “it’s either me or nobody”.

And for me personally, it is even harder when people attack, saying “YOU GUYS are too selfish, greedy, proud etc.” ... when every time an attempt has been made towards a coalition, I HAVE ATTENDED ALL MEETINGS with a readiness to accept whatever the outcomes may be.

3 separate attempts have been organized by different bodies & chaired (or attended) by reputable statesmen like Dr. Christopher Kolade & Prof. Wole Soyinka ... all literally pleading with us to come together. I have honoured all the invitations so far.
_

I have constantly subjected myself to democratic processes like PACT & the primaries of the Alliance for New Nigeria party (ANN) ... and each time I had NO GUARANTEE of success & was only privileged to emerge.
_

Several of those who said PACT was premature have now come to agree with the wisdom of ASPIRANTS coming together ... as they now realize how much more complicated it is to get CANDIDATES (especially those who didn’t own their parties) to get the buy-in of their entire party structure. Many more stakeholders (Trustees, Excos, State Chairmen etc) are now involved in a candidate’s decision to ‘step down’ in a coalition discussion.

As Aspirants, it was as simple as an individual (personal) decision ... once we became candidates and our parties got involved, it would be a lot harder.

Harder? Yes ... but NOT impossible. I still believe IT IS POSSIBLE to get everyone on board if the candidates can resolve to put NIGERIA & NIGERIANS ahead of ourselves and our personal ambitions.
_

So let say it once again ... If there is a free & fair process (no matter how simple or complex the process is) to determine who leads the coalition team, you can be sure I’ll be there to submit myself to it and accept the outcome ... of course only after securing the blessings of my party’s leadership team.

-

So ... I am asking you to please reach out to the other candidates and ask them to come to the table.
_

Please remind every candidate you can reach that true leadership is about service and sacrifice ... and as I’ve always said, we must put Nigeria 1st, Nigerians next & ourselves last.

I AM READY to try again and again until we build the coalition of like minds, like passion and like values to deliver a Nigeria that we will all be proud of ... and I may or may not be at the head of the coalition team ... but as long as it is for the greater good of our nation, then every sacrifice will be worth it, no matter how great.

God bless you & God bless Nigeria.

FD
Re: Fela Durotoye & The Coalition Of Young Presidential Candidates by MikeStan: 8:58pm On Jan 13, 2019
I wish these young candidates can just come together. What's so difficult there. Let everyone drop their pride and forge a coalition for a better Nigeria for us all.
Re: Fela Durotoye & The Coalition Of Young Presidential Candidates by Truthtoday: 9:02pm On Jan 13, 2019
MikeStan:
I wish these young candidates can just come together. What's so difficult there. Let everyone drop their pride and forge a coalition for a better Nigeria for us all.

Fela should go and do his homework and stop waiting for coalition. Go to the grassroots and do the work yourself.

(1) (Reply)

Justice Onnoghen: PDP Sympathetic To Corruption – APC / Video, Photos: PDP Hooligans Assault APC Individuals In Ilorin / How We’ll Run Biafra, By Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.