Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,005 members, 7,814,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) (3993 Views)

Black SA Teacher Assaulted At School in China, Left With Black Eye! (PICS) / My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / A Photo Of A 9-Year-Old Saudi Boy Carrying 3 School Bags On His Back Goes Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by TMKsouth: 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2019
15 JANUARY 2019
'Divisive hate gang' denounced by Schweizer-Reneke teacher

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2019-01-15-divisive-hate-gang-denounced-by-schweizer-reneke-teacher/ FULL REPORT

Suspended teacher Elana Barkhuizen dries her eyes as she reads a statement. She said teachers are the only source of love and support for so many children, and are some of the most important figures in children’s lives. 'I will not allow that those children are deprived of good teachers,' she said.

The North West teacher at the centre of South Africa's latest race battle has come out guns blazing in defence of her name and the children she teaches.

Fighting back tears as she read out a statement in Pretoria on Tuesday, Elana Barkhuizen told a media conference that she was a "good teacher".

"I am Elana Barkhuizen. I am a mother. I am a woman. I am a teacher.

"People who know me say I am a good teacher. People who know me fight to have their children in my class. People who know me know that I put my whole heart into my work for my learners," she said.

Barkhuizen was suspended last week after photographs went viral on social media showing four black grade R children sitting separately from their white Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke classmates on their first day of school.

The children were in the class of a fellow teacher, with Barkhuzien taking the photographs for a parents-teacher WhatsApp group.

Declining to take questions because of looming legal action to have her suspension lifted, Barkhuizen read out a statement saying that she was determined to clear her name.

"I will walk this path, and win. I am a good teacher. Since I can remember, it has been my dream to teach small children. It is often a thankless profession, but I am paid in smiles, kisses and hugs.

"My job is not politics, but teaching."

1 Like

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by victrick105: 1:24pm On Jan 15, 2019

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Timmypromise(m): 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2019
I don't think this continent called 'Africa' won't collapse one day especially all this black countries
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by TMKsouth: 2:35pm On Jan 15, 2019
victrick105:
Blacks do something relevant to attract world respect, they won't do

About earning respect, SA's President Cyril Ramaphosa is one of the richest people in the country, and has a long track record of good and honourable service to the nation. And yet last year some Indian dude still disrespected him by going on a video rant and calling him by the k-word (the equivalent of the N-word in the US). Obama experienced the same.

So I don't think there's a direct correlation between black-excellence and racial abuse (or the lack thereof).

Racists will be racist no matter what. Even Mandela was bashed during democracy.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 15, 2019
I don't know if it's just me, but did anyone else read a part where she gave a concrete reason as to why she separated the children?

Singing your own praises and blowing your fake trumpet won't change the fact that you're racist, Madam.

She should be fired ASAP.

11 Likes

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by crossfm: 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2019
computergeek:
I don't know if it's just me, but did anyone else read a part where she gave a concrete reason as to why she separated the children?

Singing your own praises and blowing your fake trumpet won't change the fact that you're racist, Madam.

don't mind her.she was just busy talking about herself.you can also see how quick her fellow racist came to her defence.

3 Likes

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by wynna: 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2019
If she is not South African she should be deported. Idiot.

1 Like

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Rextizz(m): 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2019
I don't give a damn
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Martinez19(m): 5:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
victrick105:
Blacks do something relevant to attract world respect, they won't do,
Blacks stop producing baby's you can't take care of, they won't stop.
Blacks use the resources in your countries to develop your continent, they won't, instead they prefer to loot and be greedy.
Blacks learn to love each other, they won't, but you keep hearing of xenophobic attack amongst themselves.

Africans are becoming irrelevant and constituting a nuisance to the world, they love complaining, attracting unnecessary pity towards themselves and always playing the victims card... Is it not this same black South Africans that are launching xenophobic attack against other black nations that are now crying racism, it is mostly the white South Africans that have achieved reasonable things for there country, the other ones just have mass and are there to occupy space and complain

Until the black race develop mentally, politically, economically and otherwise, the world will continue to be racial towards blacks and see them as inferior and irrelevant.
As in. When you tell the poverty stricken ones not to give birth to children they can't take care of, they think you are enemy of progress and you are judging and mocking them. It's emotions above reasoning and vanity. They want to marry and born to show off and because they think it's this ultimate achievement that crowns a man's life.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Martinez19(m): 5:31pm On Jan 15, 2019
computergeek:

Lol. I was about to type the same thing. I didn't see any concrete reason for the separation of white kids from black kids other than her emotional yada yada. Perhaps it's the bloggers at work.

4 Likes

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by IjebuWarrior: 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2019
victrick105:
Blacks use the resources in your countries to develop your continent, they won't, instead they prefer to loot and be greedy.
Blacks learn to love each other, they won't, but you keep hearing of xenophobic attack amongst themselves.

Africans are becoming irrelevant and constituting a nuisance to the world, they love complaining, attracting unnecessary pity towards themselves and always playing the victims card... Is it not this same black South Africans that are launching xenophobic attack against other black nations that are now crying racism, it is mostly the white South Africans that have achieved reasonable things for there country, the other ones just have mass and are there to occupy space and complain

Until the black race develop mentally, politically, economically and otherwise, the world will continue to be racial towards blacks and see them as inferior and irrelevant.

I absolutely agree... You earn my respect! cool
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by aishapmbtoto: 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2019
Story

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by TMKsouth: 7:11pm On Jan 15, 2019
UPDATE. - Right person' suspended

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/more-suspensions-could-follow-at-laerskool-schweizer-reneke-north-west-education-department-20190115
(FOR FULL REPORT)

More suspensions could follow at Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke - North West education department on Tuesday.

Spokesperson Freddy Sepeng said if the department's investigations show more people are to blame for separating children in a Grade R class by race, it would not hesitate to wield its axe.

Last week, the school suspended Elana Barkhuizen for allegedly taking photographs showing the children sitting separately. One of the images went viral, sparking outrage and discussion across the country.

'Right person' suspended

Barkhuizen was the educator who took the photos, but it was not the class she taught. The teacher who heads the Grade R class remains at the school.

Sepeng confidently said the department had suspended the "right person".

"The culprit was pointed out to us by the school governing body and the principal as the one who is guilty of the offence. If our investigations reveal that more people are implicated in the scandal, we will not hesitate to suspend those people.

"Even if the principal is linked, we are also going to suspend the principal," he said.

On Tuesday morning, several security guards were seen roaming around the schoolyard, while learning and teaching was taking place.

1 Like

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by dazzlingd(m): 7:36pm On Jan 15, 2019
victrick105:

Nice one correct person

1 Like

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by 1Sharon(f): 7:47pm On Jan 15, 2019
'I am a good teacher' undecided Is that what they asked you?

Explain the pictures

4 Likes

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by TMKsouth: 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2019
LATEST

Schweizer-Reneke teacher told of her suspension a minute before official announcement

The first that Laërskool Schweizer-Reneke grade R teacher Elana Barkhuizen - who is at the centre of South Africa's latest racial furore - knew of her suspension was a telephone call from her principal. Exactly a minute later, North West Education MEC Sello Lehari announced to the country that she had been suspended.

The Solidarity trade union is now challenging her suspension and the way it was done.

"The closest thing that we have received to an explanation is a one-line message saying that she has been suspended with full pay. It does not say why."

"This leaves the question, why is Barkhuizen still suspended?"

Herman said it was clear Barkhuizen was a "sacrifical lamb".

"She is known for breaking down racial barriers. She brings sandwiches to children who come to school hungry. She feeds hungry children regardless of whether they are black or white."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2019-01-15-schweizer-reneke-teacher-only-told-a-minute-before-sa-of-her-suspension/ FULL STORY

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by showboi222: 4:14am On Jan 16, 2019
greenmonk:

This is what we are talking about black man.
Here is a discussion about the mental state of the black race and your contribution is adverts for your pocket.
Go to other sites like quora you won't see spam adverts spamming any thread. Why do we chose to be crude like this?

Being a black man means someone should not market his or her products or services? Abeg, leave the black Manama him chop ooo. Sometimes we over take things too serious in this country. Because you are a salary earners means someone who want to sell his business should not do so? Abi no be same naija you dey?
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by showboi222: 4:16am On Jan 16, 2019
greenmonk:

This is what we are talking about black man.
Here is a discussion about the mental state of the black race and your contribution is adverts for your pocket.
Go to other sites like quora you won't see spam adverts spamming any thread. Why do we chose to be crude like this?

Being a black man means someone should not market his or her products or services? Abeg, leave the black Manama him chop ooo. Sometimes we over take things too serious in this country. Because you are a salary earners means someone who want to sell his business should not do so? Abi no be same naija you dey?...
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Nobody: 5:09am On Jan 16, 2019
showboi222:

Being a black man means someone should not market his or her products or services? Abeg, leave the black Manama him chop ooo. Sometimes we over take things too serious in this country. Because you are a salary earners means someone who want to sell his business should not do so? Abi no be same naija you dey?...
d mods have blocked the advert. So it was wrong ab initio
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Nobody: 5:18am On Jan 16, 2019
Its mundane issues we go see blacks carry d matter for head like gala. Its a conincedence . See other pics taken. U dont expect the photographer to be consious of balck and white parols. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by femi4: 5:57am On Jan 16, 2019
computergeek:

Whats the reason, i no fit read the epistle
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by FluffySucre(f): 6:55am On Jan 16, 2019
victrick105:

So true Africans are like women angry
Re: Sobbing SA Teacher: A Photo Of Happy Children 'was Used Against Me' (NEW Photos) by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2019
victrick105:

BLACK MAN na disaster.
If given the opportunity I will retrieve the few untapped talents the blacks possess and hand them over to the whites

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do A.m. And P.m. Stand For? / Anyone Struggling To Afford 2020 Jamb Form? / See What University Education Will Look Like In The Next Decade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.