Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel (15819 Views)

Why Buhari Won’t Complete Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Highway – Fashola / Nicholas Mutu: Abandoned NDDC Projects Of Lawmaker Mentioned By Akpabio / Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Blue3k2: 5:05am On Jan 17, 2019
The Akwa Ibom governor, Udom Emmanuel, launched his campaign manifesto on Wednesday in Uyo before a crowd of supporters at the city’s township stadium.

The event which had in attendance the governor of Bayelsa State, Seriake Dickson, was televised live on the Africa Independent Television (AIT). It was also streamed live on Facebook.

Mr Emmanuel, however, told the crowd that he could not read out the manifesto because of time constraint.

He said his campaign team would set out time in future to discuss details of the manifesto with the media and the public.

“Inside it (the manifesto) people will find love, unity, and progress of Akwa Ibom, you will see development and industrialization, you will see good education, you will see healthcare services, you will see good social contract,” Mr Emmanuel said to the crowd.

“Any good manifesto would give you things that are measurable,” he added.

“Today, if I tell you when we took over the government, pass rate at WAEC was less than 60 per cent. Now, the pass rate at WAEC is about 76 per cent. I can tell you when we took over, pass rate at JAMB was less than 60 per cent. In last year JAMB, the pass rate was 81 per cent.”

The governor gave himself a pat on the back, saying he has done well in his first term in office.

He said he was standing before the people of Akwa Ibom “to re-energize, to re-instate, to also reassure and re-affirm my faith, my belief in our completion agenda”.

Governor Emmanuel, a candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), is running for a second term in office.

His main opponent in the March 2 election is Nsima Ekere, a former deputy governor of the state, and the managing director, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

Mr Ekere is of the All Progressives Congress (APC) which is the ruling party at the national level.

Akwa Ibom was generally seen as a PDP stronghold, until the defection of Governor Emmanuel’s estranged benefactor and predecessor, Godswill Akpabio, from the PDP to the APC in August last year.

Mr Akpabio, the new face of opposition politics in the oil-rich state, is the senator representing Akwa Ibom North-West District.

He has vowed to stop Governor Emmanuel’s re-election bid.

The senator himself is also seeking re-election.

Both the governor and the senator have been taking jabs at each other, mostly at political rallies.

Governor Emmanuel at the launch of his manifesto said “There is a difference between projects and monuments,” apparently referring to some of the signature projects constructed by Mr Akapbio when he was governor for eight years. “I did not come to complete monuments. I came to complete projects – live touching projects.”

Mr Akpabio, his political allies, and supporters have accused the governor of refusing to complete multi-million dollar projects like the Four Point by Sheraton Hotel in Ikot Ekpene and the Ibom Tropicana Entertainment Centre, Uyo, initiated by the previous administration.

“The same people that promised you 31 industries, did they do one?” the governor added.

The governor had made the same argument about his predecessor’s projects being “monuments” when he was interviewed earlier in the morning by AIT.

“You can’t expect somebody like me who has managed resources all through my life to plunge the little resources that I have under recession into monuments,” the governor said when the interviewer told him that critics said he refused to complete some projects he inherited from his predecessor.

Onofiok Luke, the Speaker, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, was among the numerous politicians who canvassed for support for Governor Emmanuel at the Wednesday event.

“In 1999, they tried to disgrace the then governor, Obong Victor Attah. People who called themselves Abuja front, they fought him, they brought a candidate to challenge Obong Attah. We stood up and covered Obong Attah.

“In 2007, when Godswill Akpabio was governor, people said a lot of things against him, but we provided cover for him and ensured that he was re-elected for a second term.

“But when it is the turn of Governor Udom Emmanuel, Godswill Akpabio, whom we all protected and provided cover for, is now the person who wants to put the governor to shame.

“Akwa Ibom people, will you accept it?” Mr Luke asked the crowd.

“No,” the crowd chorused.

Mr Luke continued, “Look at that my official seat over there,” he said, pointed to where he sat close to Governor Emmanuel before he mounted the stage to speak.

“Let me ask, would it be okay for me to urinate on that seat?

“Some person would stand up from a seat, then turn round to urinate on the same seat.

“They want to remove Governor Emmanuel when he has not finished his tenure. Since God would never allow them to succeed, we all have to stand up and support the governor,” the speaker said.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/south-south-regional/306169-why-i-wont-complete-projects-initiated-by-akpabio-gov-emmanuel.html

4 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by weyreypey: 5:39am On Jan 17, 2019
Don't mind them. If Akpabio can be canvassing for buhari ....believe the anti corruption war at your own peril

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by bedspread: 6:15am On Jan 17, 2019
Akpabio being a free a man today shows how much Integrilized Pmb is....

It's a Monumental calamity on the bright minds of Nigerians if Pmb returns...

GOD FORBID

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by SEONaijaExpert: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Udom Emmanuel has always been an ungrateful soul.

Akpabio should regret bringing this man on board.

Whichever way, he's on the losing side.

If he's lucky to get this next term, that's the end Udom.

He's a big fraud in AkwaIbom

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
What insolence!

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Osinbajo is just an educated Buhari.

Speaks good English with no content

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
bedspread:
Its a Monumental calamity on the bright minds of Nigerians if Pmb returns...

GOD FORBID
What kind of balderdash is this?!
Seems grilling from MANNABBQ GRILLS has gone deep into your head!
Look at this one just manufacturing grammar anyhow.
And he calls himself an elderly wailer!
You are a BIG shame to the younger wailers looking up to you, wailing zombie!

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Pavore9: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Hiss.
Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Oweku: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2019
This is nonsense na.. The people that voted for him might b suffering from it na...

Must everything be politicised

2 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by mushystuff: 8:26am On Jan 17, 2019
It is well with Akwa Ibom State! As Akpabio said APC wants to come and milk Akwa Ibom for their oil and that he will not allow it, though he has joined the bloodsucker party, he and his cronies will not lay their filthy hands on Akwa Ibom either!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by chieftroller003: 8:27am On Jan 17, 2019
post=74839651]
You are a BIG shame to the younger wailers looking up to you, wailing zombie![/quote]

shocked

What kind of stupidity is your own

[quote author=
:

Seems grilling from MANNABBQ GRILLS has gone deep into your head!
You are a BIG shame to the younger wailers looking up to you, wailing zombie!

Imaginary suya grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Topmaike007(m): 8:27am On Jan 17, 2019
If Buhari will not win Biko Sowore should win oo,I can't condole any form of PDP in the federal...

6 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by chieftroller003: 8:28am On Jan 17, 2019
post=74839823:
God bless Nigeria.
Thanking God we have a President that never thought this way for once.
He's completing different project back to back on a daily basis, that even the wailers are saying it is too MUCH.

God bless our President MUHAMMADU BUHARI.

Because we can't see them grin

4 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Realdeals(m): 8:28am On Jan 17, 2019
Stupid decision....what if the citizen's life is involved

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Bluehill1051: 8:29am On Jan 17, 2019
See, I'm not from Akwaibom o, but the 1 year I spent there, almost everything government was done by Akpabio. I sometimes wished he was governor during my time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Bossontop(m): 8:29am On Jan 17, 2019
undecided
Sombody dat is always need somebody support wants still wants to support d Nigeria he failed...... Mtchheeww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 17, 2019
bedspread:

It's a Monumental calamity on the bright minds of Nigerians if Pmb returns...

GOD FORBID
No be una dey believe buhari's anti corruption campaign ? Where is daura today, the guy who embezzled billions of naira, who incidentally hails from same town wolith buhari, even bearing daura his home town as his first name? All the fraudulent acts weren't discovered as DSS boss until after he was sacked .

4 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by deomelo: 8:29am On Jan 17, 2019
Basement and corrupt mentality. And this joker is the governor of the richest state in Nigeria?

They sure have the lousiest governors in that part of Nigeria, what a shame

2 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:30am On Jan 17, 2019
Thanking God we have a President that never thought this way for once.
He's completing different project back to back on a daily basis, that even the wailers are saying it is too MUCH.

God bless our President MUHAMMADU BUHARI.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Feranchek(m): 8:32am On Jan 17, 2019
That's how our politicians keep recycling themselves and we the youths just sit back and watch. Smh4 our youths (myself included)
Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by chieftroller003: 8:33am On Jan 17, 2019
grin
Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by sylva1(m): 8:33am On Jan 17, 2019
If he fails to complete inherited projects or monuments as he refers to it, who looses? The Akwa Ibom people loose. Well Mr Governor, there is difference between politics and governance. Whatever the issue is between you and your predecessor, it should not prevent you from completing inherited projects which are being funded by tax payers money.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by ninocia18(m): 8:34am On Jan 17, 2019
I dunno whether this is sheer pride or foolishness but I don't understand this man. That's why Nigeria isn't going forward. There is no teamwork. Everyone wants to be a line ranger. Have you seen a footballer being brought into a match come in to start the game all over again? He continues from where the former player stopped. That's called progress. Nobody said you must start and finish the journey. True leadership is having people who will continue after you have left.
That's why there so many uncompleted projects worth billions lying around every state just cuz the leaders are either blinded by pride or just foolish.

1 Like

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by chieftroller003: 8:34am On Jan 17, 2019
chieftroller003:

shocked

What kind of stupidity is your own

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Fxwarrior: 8:52am On Jan 17, 2019
If 4 point is a monument, what of Ibom entertainment centre which should generate revenue for the government.

In fact for refusing to complete his predecessor's project is enough reason not to vote him if these Iboms are sensible enough.

The money that was poured into those projects should they be allowed to waste? If the governor has the knowledge of resource management, he should know that those projects are for the good of the state and he swore on oath not to allow his personal interest to clash with the good and interest of his state based on that I put it to him and into him, His Excellency that he has Failed.

Iboms the power belongs to you now and its your decision whatever you decide, you will live with it for another 4 years. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by gordus: 8:52am On Jan 17, 2019
The monuments you're talking about change some country economy today e.g Dubai in UAE

3 Likes

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by ogongogames(m): 8:53am On Jan 17, 2019
I actually agree with Udom, with a country that has limited resources etc like Nigeria. I find it bizarre that "Four Points by Sheraton" and a entertainment centre were priorities. The focus of state governments in a country like Nigeria (3rd world) should be on improving infrastructure, human capital development and ease of business in order to create an enabling environment that will attract projects such as Sheraton without government pumping mind-boggling amounts into....I'm not even sure exactly. I read recently that some SME's having been relocating from Alagbole, Ogun to Edo state because of the conducive environment being created by Godwin Obaseki. Now that's how you bring genuine long-term development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel by Fxwarrior: 8:57am On Jan 17, 2019
ninocia18:
I dunno whether this is sheer pride or foolishness but I don't understand this man. That's why Nigeria isn't going forward. There is no teamwork. Everyone wants to be a line ranger. Have you seen a footballer being brought into a match come in to start the game all over again? He continues from where the former player stopped. That's called progress. Nobody said you must start and finish the journey. True leadership is having people who will continue after you have left.
That's why there so many uncompleted projects worth billions lying around every state just cuz the leaders are either blinded by pride or just foolish.

Well spoken my friend. Nevertheless the people also share the blame for not exercising their voting rights judiciously.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Donates Free Wifi, Solar For Free Phone Charging To A Community In Kogi / Ojuelegba Container Accident: Sanwo-Olu Orders Trial Of Truck Owner And Driver / Lagos Population Now Thought To Exceed 20 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.