Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,068 members, 7,835,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news (1513 Views)

Woman Strips Her 9-Year-Old Son For Stealing N5000 In Delta (Photo) / He Is Been Accused Wrongly For Stealing / Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:38am On Aug 14, 2010
If Baby Monday is not Kirikiri Minimum Prison‘s youngest inmate, he will certainly be one of the youngest. Her mother is being detained in the prison and was delivered of him only 13 days ago.

For obvious reasons, Monday’s arrival could not be marked with any fanfare. There were no visits from friends and relations and there were no shouts of congratulations or offer of gifts.

Baby Monday was born at the Lagos Island Maternity, where officials of the prison had taken Comfort, his mother, as soon as she went into labour on August 1, 2010. Comfort is awaiting trial for allegedly stealing the sum of N200,000 belonging to her boss, but she insists she is innocent of her alleged crime.

Spokesman of the Nigerian Prisons Service, Mr. Ope Fatinikun said the prison was well equipped to take care of nursing inmates and their babies. ‘‘There are so many inmates who come in here pregnant, although they might not know it. As a matter of fact, we do conduct pregnancy tests for them immediately they are brought here and the results are shown to them. So, we are equipped to take care of them and their babies. There is a clinic attached to the prison and in case of any emergency, we do refer them to the General hospital,‘‘ Fatinikun said.

But he added that the baby could only be kept in the prison for 18 months. ‘‘The law states that it is not in the best interests of the child for him or her to discover that they were born in the prison. So when the child is 18 months old and no relative has come to take them away, the prison is empowered by law to take them to the SOS children‘s village where they might be put up for adoption,‘‘ he said

Comfort‘s journey to Kirikiri began when she met her former boss, Nwitua Nadum, at Elele Alimini, Rivers State sometime last year. ‘‘I knew him as my landlord‘s friend,‘‘ she said, adding that she was then selling sachet water otherwise called pure water, having had to halt her education at Primary Four because of financial constraints.

She said, ‘‘I am the fourth of seven children. We have always struggled to survive. But things became particularly bad after my paternal grandmother died. My elder siblings didn‘t have much of education either, so they are not better off. My eldest brother pushes a wheel barrow in the market for a living while my father is a farmer. I was fetching water one day when Nadum came around. He asked what I was doing at home and I said I had to stop school because there was no money. He then said it was a pity that a pretty girl like me was suffering when someone could have helped me to live a better life. Later, my father told me that I would go to Lagos with Nadum to be his house help, and in return, he (Nadum) would send me to school.‘‘

Nadum lived alone at his 2 Owode Street, Abule Egba, Lagos residence, while his wife and children lived abroad. Comfort said apart from household chores, she also assisted with the sale of compressors and air conditioners at Nadum’s shop. She said that contrary to what her father had told her, she only attended school for a month after which Nadum ordered her to withdraw. ‘‘My boss pulled me out of school when he started molesting me,‘‘ she alleged. ‘‘I called my father and told him that he should come here and take me away, but he told me that he had no money to travel down to Lagos.‘‘

When our correspondent called Comfort‘s father on the phone and told him that his daughter was being incarcerated in Kirikiri Medium Prison and that she had been delivered of a baby boy, the man went hysterical. ‘‘I don‘t know why Nadum would do that to my child. I can never do such a thing to somebody else‘s child. I leave everything in the hands of God. He did all this to me and yet I didn‘t get a penny from him,‘‘ he said.

Asked if he intended to claim his grandchild, Comfort‘s father replied, ‘‘I don‘t have any money to come to Lagos.‘‘

Comfort claimed she had cried to her boss‘s wife for help when the lady came to Nigeria. ‘‘I told her what I had been passing through in the hands of her husband. To my surprise, she felt unconcerned. She just told me it wasn‘t her business.‘‘ She said that Mrs. Nadum concluded her business in Nigeria and travelled out again without addressing her husband‘s alleged offences. ‘‘When I discovered that I was pregnant a few months later, I was scared. I confided in a neighbour who everyone called Mama. She told me to abort the baby, that I was too young to bear the responsibility of bringing up a child.‘‘

Comfort said although she was terrified by the pregnancy she feared abortion. ‘‘I asked her what would happen if after aborting the baby I discovered later in life that I couldn‘t have children anymore,‘‘ she said.

She also said that when she told Nadum about the pregnancy, she denied it. ‘‘I told my boss I was pregnant and he told me it was none of his business,‘‘ she said, adding that she had to bear the shame of a growing tummy and curious stares of neighbours.

Recalling the circumstances in which she landed in prison, she said, “I think it was around January 10 when my boss called me on the phone to attend to a customer who had come to buy compressors. He had travelled out of Lagos. I went to the shop and met with the person. We negotiated a price but the customer didn‘t have the whole amount. I called my boss and told him, and he told me to collect what the man had and give it to the gateman. I counted the money, it was 95,000 naira, and I gave it to the gateman.‘‘

The next day, Nadum returned home but the gateman did not report for duty. ‘‘I went to a phone booth and tried the gateman‘s phone number several times but it was switched off. When I told my boss about it, he was very angry. The next day, policemen from Oko Oba Police station, Abule Egba came to the house and arrested me.‘‘

At the police station, another drama played out. ‘‘My boss told the policemen that he had lost N200,000 to me. He told them that it was because I had stolen the money from him that I started saying he was responsible for my pregnancy.‘‘ Comfort said she was three months pregnant at the time she was arrested.

The 17-year-old was arraigned at the Abule Egba Magistrate Court on January 26, 2010. Unfortunately, she had no one to pay for her bail in the sum of N50,000. Copies of the charge sheet made available to our correspondent revealed that the initial age filled for comfort was 17 years before it was cancelled and replaced with 18. But Comfort herself insists she is 17. The only person who can come forward with proof of the girl‘s age is her father in Rivers State who claims he is cash strapped and unable to make the trip to Lagos.

Efforts made by our correspondent to get Nadum’s reaction yielded no result as the voice that answered the calls our correspondent made to his phone repeatedly claimed it was wrong number. He also did not respond to text messages sent to his phone, forcing our correspondent to visit his residence at Plot 2 Owode Street, Abule Egba, Lagos. While the place looked deserted, two children who opened the gate after persistent knocks and and claimed to be Nadum’s niece and nephew, told our correspondent, after asking what her mission was, that Nadum was not at home.

Further effort made to get him on his MTN and Zain lines also yielded no result. “I am not Nadum,” a voice said on the phone and hung up.

Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:42am On Aug 14, 2010
Imagine if shes your daughter Nedum, do you know we have a God who will pay u back yr evil,its a shame for our judiciary system,were is NGO,WACOL and human right group do they just fight for case that give them fame lone. police do u still favor they rich to molest they poor,is her turn today morrow will b yrs & nobody will come.How much is #200.000 to treat a human this way because she is poor,pls Dora Akuyeli,NGO,WACOL and human right group do something for Comfort & her son & take her back home
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:43am On Aug 14, 2010
Poverty Oh poverty. The worst thing to happen to anybody on this earth is to be poor. Poor little innocent girl and the little innocent boy. I know God is not asleep and He will address the issue with time. The police and the judge who refused to view things with the mercy of God shall pay for it.Nigeria we Fail thee.
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:45am On Aug 14, 2010
This is errant nonsense a little gilr accused of stealing N200,000 kept in prison with pregnancy while someone that had ruined our economy in the name of Erastus Akingbola was given a warm reception and treated like King Solomon.The judiciary is still in a mess we need sincerity in ourn judiciary system
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by Sissy3(f): 9:57am On Aug 14, 2010
awww poor girl cry cry cry. very CUTE and ADORABLE baby

see how poverty gave the dirty man the false sense of entitlement over this girl to the extent of giving birth in prison

God dey

since he requested the money to be given to the GM, shouldnt him and the police at least try to find the GM and hear him out before locking the poor girl up?
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by bigfather(m): 12:09pm On Aug 14, 2010
~Sissy~:

awww poor girl cry cry cry. very CUTE and ADORABLE baby

see how poverty gave the dirty man the false sense of entitlement over this girl to the extent of giving birth in prison

God dey

since he requested the money to be given to the GM, shouldnt him and the police at least try to find the GM and hear him out before locking the poor girl up?

Na so police life be for naija, especially when it comes to A RICH MAN and A POOR MAN situation. The rich guy will always cal the shots !
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by mutter(f): 3:15pm On Aug 14, 2010
we all carry this sin on our head. Every Nigerian is to blame that such things can still happen in our country.
I feel so ashamed.
God forgive us for the injustice that so man innocent ones suffer.
Every day innocent blood shed,
A common 50 000 bail, no one could pay on her behalf.
The Judge that took this decision is inhuman, may God give him his befitting punishment.
Since the girl was so young and pregnant he should have involved the women organisations and welfare office.
I am so mad and disgusted, sorry angry angry
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:32am On Aug 15, 2010
We can use our anger as a lesson to shape a better tomorrow,this news is pasted here to let you guys in diaspora knows that people are suffering from injustice.

For those that are opportuned to be above that crazy level of poverty please don`t let us forget that some people are suffering for what they knows nothing about and we can do little in our own way to contribute to their freedom.
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by Confilass: 11:14am On Aug 18, 2010
God is the best judge and will definitely pay Nadum for everything he has done. He has forgotten dat he has children.
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by softgirl1: 4:01pm On Aug 19, 2010
when i read this on saturday Punch i was close to tears this is not fair to humanity some body pls help this girl if there is anyting i can do i would have this little child need care let the man come out to say he is not responsible for the child and DNA carried out putting the girl in jail was another way of runing away from responsibility may God deal with dat animalistic man soon, so sad cry cry cry
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by 0hsisi: 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2010
Such a sad story
Poverty is almost like a curse,Please God let this never be my portion or that of anyone who trusts in you.
What else could make a man give out his young daughter to a fellow man as a house help knowing fully well that his wife was away?
What was he thinking?
Didn't he know he was just giving him a girl to take advantage of sex.ually?
May God punish that Nadum man
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by 0hsisi: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2010
The saddest would be if no one comes to bail this girl out or no relative to take the baby and she loses the baby.
That would devastate her even more
As it is now,that baby is about all she has in this world
I really do feel like crying.grown
I was already grown and married when I had my babies,I cannot imagine a teenager,all alone,pregnant,in jail with absolutely no support.
This world is unfair to the downtrodden.

Does anyone know any agencies in Nigeria that can handle cases like this.We need to write letters ,do something to help.
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by naijatoday: 11:13pm On Aug 20, 2010
Free at last

Comfort Monday, the 17-year-old inmate, who had been incarcerated for eight months while pregnant at the Kirikiri Female Prison, Apapa, finally walked out of jail on Tuesday, 17, 2010, following the intervention of the Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola.

The senior special assistant to the governor on Youth and Social Development, Busola Ogunkoya, said her release was effected after Governor Fashola read of Ms Monday's incarceration in the media, of which NEXT first broke the story. "Governor Fashola got to hear about the case and asked for her freedom," she said. "The reason was because the child was a minor and she gave birth in the prison which shouldn't have happened. The governor did not want to hear about any minor in prison, so he asked for the release of this child. Both of them are now in government custody."

Ms Monday, who delivered her baby boy on August 1, at the Island Maternity Hospital, Lagos Island, said all the months she had spent in prison without any help had made her lose all hope of regaining her freedom. She was overwhelmed by the Lagos State government's gesture. "I am happy because I did not know anybody in this Lagos," she said. "I have nobody to help me. My father does not have money. He is in village so there is no money to get me out of prison. I am just here alone, so I am happy. I just thank God for me and my baby."

Before she was taken to an undisclosed location, a call was placed to her father in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. He expressed his joy at his daughter's release. Mrs Ogunkoya said the Lagos State government are also facilitating Ms Monday's relatives coming to see her soon.

Theft allegation case continues

Her lawyer, Afolabi Orekoya, from the Office of the Public Defender (OPD), which gives free legal services to the less privileged, under the Lagos State Ministry of Justice, was also present during her release. He said the pending case of theft alleged against Ms Monday would still go on. "OPD is still handling her case," he said. "We will be there to defend her when it comes up on September 27, 2010. OPD is determined to give the best legal representation, and for this we are prepared and I know we have a good case. Till then, she will remain in government custody, from where she will be coming to court."

Ms Monday has since named her son Goodluck. She said she was even ready to add Fashola to his name. Her ordeal, according to her, started when Nadum Nwitua, the man who brought her from Port Harcourt in May 2009, got her pregnant for. Despite knowing Ms. Monday was pregnant. Mr Nwitua had her arrested on January 24, 2010, claiming that she stole N295,000 from him.

A NEXT investigation revealed her age was manipulated from 17 to 18 during documentation to ensure she got remanded in prison. Mr Nwita's actions were reportedly carried out in order to conceal the affair from his wife and children in the United Kingdom. "He (Mr. Nwitua) did everything because he has money and he knows I am poor," said Ms Monday.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5608093-147/free_at_last___.csp
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:57am On Aug 21, 2010
We thank God for what he has done,

But come to think of it, Thousands of our young boys and girls are in these situation, how many of them will Governor save? do we have to wait for Governor to save the innocent,

Why can`t we humans do things in the right way.

MY FATHER USED TO TELL ME THAT, PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD, ALSO THERE IS GOOD ROADS AND THERE ARE BAD ROADS NOW IT IS LEFT TO US TO DECIDED.

i thought it is for law to show people the right way and judge those who are guilty, how come our JUSTICE SYSTEM DON`T EVEN KNOW WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD.

Police don`t know how to investigate any situation,

MY BAD

HOW DO I EXPECT THEM TO KNOW WHEN THEY DON`T EVEN THE MEANING OF THE WORD INVESTIGATE?
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by Outstrip(f): 4:56am On Aug 21, 2010
Thank God. I hope that Fashola will hold people repsonsible. I will be dissapointed if this is not followed up with people losing their jobs and the "oga" of the girl being arrested
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by seyibrown(f): 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2010
I am so happy for this girl! cry  cry. I hope Mr Nadum faces justice!
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by hackney(m): 5:15pm On Aug 21, 2010
The truth is that nobody here knows what really happened.
After all , people can make up fantastic stories that feel like the truth.
(especially when they are in a situation where they think they will be believed and they are desperately poor)

Can anyone here tell me that they can swear on their life that: this woman from a wretched home did not steal any money from the man's shop?.
Its unfortunate about the jail-baby but the pregnancy could have given the poor girl guts.
We dont know.
We weren't there.
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by 0hsisi: 5:43pm On Aug 21, 2010
hackney:

(especially when they are in a situation where they think they will be believed and they are desperately poor)

Can anyone here tell me that they can swear on their life that: this woman from a wretched home did not steal any money from the man's shop?.
Its unfortunate about the jail-baby but the pregnancy could have given the poor girl guts.
We dont know.
We weren't there.

The girl claims she gave the money to the gateman who has been  at large since then
Assuming she even stole money,the sexual violation against her cancels whatever she did
Which sane country would leave a 17 year old in jail for months without a trial?

Now that Fashola has her released, a paternity test should be carried out and if the baby belongs to Nadum,he should be charged with r.ape amongst other things and punished accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by seyibrown(f): 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2010
hackney:

We dont know.
We weren't there.

How humane is it to take a 16yr old from her father into one's care, find out she is pregnant (whether it's Nadum's or not), and then let her go to jail for a crime she has not been found gulity of, without informing the girl's father. She was under his guardianship and he should have been the last person to send her to jail in her condition for allegedly stealing money. He knew how old she was when he took her from the village and still managed to connive with corrupt officers to keep an underaged person in jail! I hope he faces justice o!
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by zicoisaac: 10:57pm On Aug 22, 2010
Its purely an ugly situation, only God and God fearing lawyer can intervene in this matter, Except If she has bad record before in her office,
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by softgirl1: 11:16am On Aug 23, 2010
May God Bless Fashola may ur generation neva suffer rejection dis story has made my day am so happy tank God for remembering the poor,
Re: Accussed and Detained For Stealing, Free At Last..... breaking news by Confilass: 11:55am On Aug 24, 2010
Thank God, this is goodnews to me. God will bless Fashola. They're still nice pple in naija.

(1) (Reply)

Weird News Of The Day:::nigerian Conman Uses 128 Fake Ids To Steal In London: / My Wife Insists On Going To Law School Outside D State! / Meet The Woman Who Had No Idea She Was Pregnant Until She Gave Birth In The Toil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.