Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,706 members, 7,840,762 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! (656 Views)

I Dropped My Presidential Ambition For Buhari — Saraki / I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu / Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by wales(m): 6:32am On Aug 16, 2010
Ibrahim Babangida officially affirmed his presidential ambitions on Saturday after declaring: “I’m back.”

The declaration is the culmination of a busy fortnight which has seen the former military ruler launch a campaign website and set up offices in 32 states of the federation.

No manifesto

Speaking at his house in Minna, the retired general dismissed all the recurrent obstacles that have been put forward to dissuade his ambitions. However, during a two hour press conference he repeatedly failed to put forward any clearly defined policies. He conceded that policy making was not his strongest point and that he will entrust such matters to a “trusted team of experts.” He however defended some of his old policies such as the controversial Structural Adjustment Program (SAP) which he said foreshadowed many of today’s democratic policies.

“When you look at SAP, it set out to achieve some things that are now being praised. Deregulation, opening up the economy and stabilising the naira were all things we set out to do with SAP and I am very proud of those things.”

He said that although he presently had no clear manifesto, he will “unleash” outlined policies to the public in “two or three weeks.”

Fighting the clock

At 69, the former president dismissed suggestions that he was too old for the job.

“I have a daughter who makes sure I go to the gym every day so I have never been healthier. If you look at other countries [Hosni] Mubarak is 82, [Shimon] Peres is 87 and [Muammer] Ghadaffi is my age.

So I don’t think age matters much.”

Mr Babangida came close to apologising for the annulment of the June 12 1992 elections calling it an “ugly spot that one has to live with.”

He stopped short however by saying that the decision was a collective one during his regime. He fully expected Nigerians to forgive his regime’s decision because he believed “we are a godly nation that embraces forgiveness.”

The former president challenged anyone who could claim he has ever offered a bribe to speak up. He said he had made a similar challenge when he was president and, to date, no one has been able to bring up credible evidence. If elected, he said that he would take the same “vigorous stance” against corruption as he has always taken.

“I am getting tired of people who say I institutionalised corruption,” he said.

“People forget that I disciplined a military administrator over N300, 000. Today people in office are accused of N300 million, N15 billion and they are still there.”

Okigbo report

Mr Babangida absolved himself of any blame in the Okigbo report saying his critics were using it in the most “blindly controversial and distorted manner.” The panel was set up, he said, not to investigate his regime but to “examine operations and make recommendations for activities of the Central Bank of Nigeria.”

He added that he was never subpoenaed nor was he linked to any acts of financial impropriety in the entire report.

The former president once again distanced his regime from any culpability in the 1986 killing of the Newswatch editor, Dele Giwa.

“I wish to state for the umpteenth time, that I did not murder Dele Giwa,” he said. He added that no agency under his regime was found guilty of the “heinous act.” Last week, the Peoples Democratic Party, which Mr Babangida aims to represent in the elections, failed to take a decisive stance on who it would back for the presidential elections. He said although there was still ambiguity he was happy that the race was thrown open this year.

Reasons for returning The former president said he had hoped that, seventeen years after leaving office, Nigeria would be in better economic shape but that had not happened.

“I left that house seventeen years ago and I had wished that things would be different now. I can assure you that Nigeria was far better off between 1985 and 1993 than from 1999 to present day.” He further argued that he achieved greater economic stability and security with far less resources than were available in the democratic years.

Money has seldom been far from any discourse relating to Mr Babangida and he said his campaign would be funded by both himself and “good friends who benefitted from his policies.”

The former president paid tribute to his late wife saying that she would be “difficult to replace.” He added, however, that he had not entirely ruled out the possibility of remarrying.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5607239-146/babangida_declares_presidential_ambition__.csp

Re: Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by wales(m): 6:32am On Aug 16, 2010
Personal Letter to Mr. Babangida, if you will allow a team of renowned and respected journalists, such as Ray Ekpu or the team at Sahara reporters to (1)interview you as to why Nigerians should trust you and elect you as their next president, (2) Give them unrestricted access to your mansion in Minna and allow them to do a video documentary and take photographs of your property that can be published in both Nigerian and international media. You ask why is this necessary? Well we can ascertain from the pictures or video if indeed you were corrupt because we have an idea what a military leader should have earned as President of Nigeria for the time you were in office and see if this is proportionate with your property. If you will allow this, many Nigerians, myself included will determine if we should elect you as our next president.
Re: Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by jamace(m): 6:56am On Aug 16, 2010
The joker called maradona has come again. I know he is just out to improve on his CV. That " in 2011, IBB contested for the presidential seat but lost gallantly".

This IBB of a man has no shame. I saw on NTA Network News (09:00PM, 15/8/2010) while declaring his desire to run for the pesidency come 2011 saying that Nigerians are known to be very religious people and should therefore forgive him for annuling the June 12 Elections.

The greatest mistake Nigerians will make is to allow this power drunk, selfish and devilish IBB to come near ASO ROCK.
Re: Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by wales(m): 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2010
All you have to do is look at the economic data for the period of his rule. Shame the man thinks we are in the 20th century forgetting that any fool with a computer can factcheck his claim of economic performance. I repeat the only two times the Nigerian economy grew higher than twice the rate of population has been 1977-1980 and post 2003-2007 and maybe 2009. The two sustained period was under Obasanjo. The latter is the only time in recorded history where growth was through the internal Market rather than exports. Anyways how can you argue with a man whose answer to age suitability is that his daughter makes sure he goes to the gym. What a load of bull.
Re: Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by johunojuri: 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2010
I think IBB is broke. Maybe those heavy Billions of Naira have gone down. If not, why the sudden good will for Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Declares Presidential Ambition ! by invisible2(m): 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2010
This mad man ibb symbolizes everything bad about Nigeria. If we are so weak to allow him rule again, we are finished as a nation.

(1) (Reply)

What An Irony / Don’t Dare Ojukwu –apga Warns Jonathan ! / ‘ Labour Party Will Make A Difference In Nigeria'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.