Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

The Upcoming Presidential Election: Need For Credible Alternatives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Upcoming Presidential Election: Need For Credible Alternatives (456 Views)

My Message To Ndigbos Concerning The Upcoming Presidential Election / Perez John Condemns Insurgents, Calls For Credible Elections In Nig / Vote For Credible Leaders, Titi Abubakar Urges Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Upcoming Presidential Election: Need For Credible Alternatives by nedostic: 6:04pm On Jan 24, 2019
The choice is now for Nigerians particularly the enlightened ones to re-educate our people that we now have credible alternatives to the candidates of the two most dominant parties in Nigeria. In particular, Omoyole Sowore, Kingsley Moghalu, and Tope Fasua. (Madam Oby Ezekwesili would have been another viable alternative but unfortunately has decided to pull out from the race and we must respect her decision.)

It must be (clearly) understood that there is no significant difference between PDP and APC and thus for Nigeria to move forward the time is now to vote in persons with more credibility, organisational energy, intellectual capacity, and vision (to name a few).

As for the present government I seriously hold nothing against them, moreover, I am a secret admirer of President Buhari considering that he seems to be a man of financial probity. His key political appointments, nevertheless, appear to be too narrowly focused on a particular ethnic extraction and this itself has a corruptive undertone. On top of that, the economic trajectory of the nation seems to have been stalled under the Buhari-led government even though this lack of economic progress is not entirely the fault of his administration. In short, if I were to advise President Buhari, my advice would be for him to take a well-deserved rest in his home town Daura or elsewhere and leave nation building for younger, fresher, and innovative minds like the candidates mentioned above.

As for Atiku-Obi’s ticket I honestly do not think that their government will move the nation significantly forward, at least based on the credibility crises Atiku himself has long been battling (with) for nearly two decades. Atiku nevertheless appears to be more broad-minded than the current President yet I don’t foresee any critical change he can bring to institutionalising order in the Nigerian polity which is what we are currently lacking. Nigeria cannot genuinely move forward in the absence of law and order.

The truth is that we need new set of leaders and it is time that we say a big NO to the recycling of old politicians. From experience, they don’t just change instead they keep cross-carpeting from one dominant party to another.

The question to even ask ourselves is this: What is the main ideology of APC and/or PDP? If any, I assure you it is same across the two parties.

This now brings me to the credible alternatives. While I believe the three alternatives stated above are all qualified to lead Nigeria to a new path if voted in to power, Sowore in my own estimation leads the pack. To be sure Tope Fasua has the most revolutionary idea particularly his notion about taking development to our villages through building affordable and modern houses in our often-overlooked villages/rural areas; Moghalu’s notion of entrepreneurially-driven economy is certainly spot on but not radically different from what Sowore has also proposed (see his party's SPICER HEAT programme).

Truth be told at this stage of nationhood Nigeria deserves leaders who can always speak truth to power and those who can constantly challenge the status quo. Sowore seems to be doing relatively well in this critical sphere of nation building. In fact, I see him particularly as a disruptor in the political space. In short his bravado, passion, foresight, and common sense has endeared him to many Nigerians both home and abroad. Based on his party’s manifestos, he is also capable of growing the Nigerian economy in such a way that it can benefit the poor in the society most; critical challenges that are currently plaguing the country including pervasive poverty, youth unemployment, and insecurity will be massively reduced if someone like Sowore is voted into power.

The time is now for all youths and other well-meaning Nigeria who still believe in the Nigerian project to convince friends, colleagues, family members, and others to vote in credible alternatives particularly Omoyele Sowore.

These are not hard choices to make but they must be made now in order that we begin to lay a strong foundation for the country. Not doing this is tantamount to building a skyscraper in a faulty foundation.

To reiterate we cannot keep recycling politicians who run from one party to another and expect credible and/or significant changes to take place between May 2019 and May 2023.

And for the records even if President Buhari emerges as the winner in the upcoming elections I do not expect any significant changes to take place in terms of inclusive development and/or the management of the Nigerian economy and same applies to the candidacy of the main opposition party led by Atiku.

In concluding, a new Nigeria will only happen when we make a conscious and deliberate effort to vote in credible alternatives to the two dominant parties in the country. It is time for us the youths as well as other well-meaning Nigerians to put our religious/ethnic differences aside and stand up for Sowore by voting him into the Office of the President of Nigeria. And if we fail to realise this dream in 2019, we will have ourselves to blame (again) or as the popular parlance goes ‘we don enter one chance’.
Re: The Upcoming Presidential Election: Need For Credible Alternatives by ritzyvic1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 24, 2019
Yes, I am of the same opinion that the three candidates you mentioned are undoubtedly the best when considered without sentiments. Although, I lean more towards the candidature of Moghalu but the point i am trying to make is that the inherent political system of Nigeria have impacted negatively on the chances of any of them winning despite being the best. In essence any vote for anybody other than Atiku - our lesser devil is a vote for the bigger devil. I believe that our political system will evolve and a time will come when the majority of the masses can make informed choices at the poll
Re: The Upcoming Presidential Election: Need For Credible Alternatives by Abfinest007(m): 6:36pm On Jan 24, 2019
nedostic:
The choice is now for Nigerians particularly the enlightened ones to re-educate our people that we now have credible alternatives to the candidates of the two most dominant parties in Nigeria. In particular, Omoyole Sowore, Kingsley Moghalu, and Tope Fasua. (Madam Oby Ezekwesili would have been another viable alternative but unfortunately has decided to pull out from the race and we must respect her decision.)

It must be (clearly) understood that there is no significant difference between PDP and APC and thus for Nigeria to move forward the time is now to vote in persons with more credibility, organisational energy, intellectual capacity, and vision (to name a few).

As for the present government I seriously hold nothing against them, moreover, I am a secret admirer of President Buhari considering that he seems to be a man of financial probity. His key political appointments, nevertheless, appear to be too narrowly focused on a particular ethnic extraction and this itself has a corruptive undertone. On top of that, the economic trajectory of the nation seems to have been stalled under the Buhari-led government even though this lack of economic progress is not entirely the fault of his administration. In short, if I were to advise President Buhari, my advice would be for him to take a well-deserved rest in his home town Daura or elsewhere and leave nation building for younger, fresher, and innovative minds like the candidates mentioned above.

As for Atiku-Obi’s ticket I honestly do not think that their government will move the nation significantly forward, at least based on the credibility crises Atiku himself has long been battling (with) for nearly two decades. Atiku nevertheless appears to be more broad-minded than the current President yet I don’t foresee any critical change he can bring to institutionalising order in the Nigerian polity which is what we are currently lacking. Nigeria cannot genuinely move forward in the absence of law and order.

The truth is that we need new set of leaders and it is time that we say a big NO to the recycling of old politicians. From experience, they don’t just change instead they keep cross-carpeting from one dominant party to another.

The question to even ask ourselves is this: What is the main ideology of APC and/or PDP? If any, I assure you it is same across the two parties.

This now brings me to the credible alternatives. While I believe the three alternatives stated above are all qualified to lead Nigeria to a new path if voted in to power, Sowore in my own estimation leads the pack. To be sure Tope Fasua has the most revolutionary idea particularly his notion about taking development to our villages through building affordable and modern houses in our often-overlooked villages/rural areas; Moghalu’s notion of entrepreneurially-driven economy is certainly spot on but not radically different from what Sowore has also proposed (see his party's SPICER HEAT programme).

Truth be told at this stage of nationhood Nigeria deserves leaders who can always speak truth to power and those who can constantly challenge the status quo. Sowore seems to be doing relatively well in this critical sphere of nation building. In fact, I see him particularly as a disruptor in the political space. In short his bravado, passion, foresight, and common sense has endeared him to many Nigerians both home and abroad. Based on his party’s manifestos, he is also capable of growing the Nigerian economy in such a way that it can benefit the poor in the society most; critical challenges that are currently plaguing the country including pervasive poverty, youth unemployment, and insecurity will be massively reduced if someone like Sowore is voted into power.

The time is now for all youths and other well-meaning Nigeria who still believe in the Nigerian project to convince friends, colleagues, family members, and others to vote in credible alternatives particularly Omoyele Sowore.

These are not hard choices to make but they must be made now in order that we begin to lay a strong foundation for the country. Not doing this is tantamount to building a skyscraper in a faulty foundation.

To reiterate we cannot keep recycling politicians who run from one party to another and expect credible and/or significant changes to take place between May 2019 and May 2023.

And for the records even if President Buhari emerges as the winner in the upcoming elections I do not expect any significant changes to take place in terms of inclusive development and/or the management of the Nigerian economy and same applies to the candidacy of the main opposition party led by Atiku.

In concluding, a new Nigeria will only happen when we make a conscious and deliberate effort to vote in credible alternatives to the two dominant parties in the country. It is time for us the youths as well as other well-meaning Nigerians to put our religious/ethnic differences aside and stand up for Sowore by voting him into the Office of the President of Nigeria. And if we fail to realise this dream in 2019, we will have ourselves to blame (again) or as the popular parlance goes ‘we don enter one chance’.
if every youth think u Nigeria will be a better place .but Nigeria has been sold to the highest bidder

(1) (Reply)

SERAP Reacts: Onnoghen's Suspension Is Illegal / Why Did Peter Obi Refused To Refrence China On Fight Against Corruption? / To Those That Like To Beat The Drums Of War. This Is What It Looks Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.