Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos (43912 Views)

Problems Of Getting Governor's Consent And Building Plan Approval In Lagos. / Building Plan Approval Process And Cost In Lagos State. / Issues Of Land Documentation And Building Plan Approval (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by lawyer(m): 9:15pm On Aug 17, 2010
Quite a while since i have written an article that benefits everyone. I have been caught up in a lot of things am trying to sort out hence my not being too visible but thats no excuse for me not to share vital informations when necessary.

Recently the property section has been awash with people advertising to sell lands and architects providing us with all sorts of beautiful 3D Designs, but what about the all important building plan approval for those that want to get it and have no way of knowing what it costs or entails?     

I shopped around in Alausa in the town planning department to get more info for those that need the building plan approval and i was able to get one of my contacts to give me a run down for the requirements for the building approval and he was kind enough to give me a sample requirement for building a house in Ikorodu.

One more thing, please remember this is a free service gotten from a contact and in no way am i claiming to be an expert here or know the true hidden costs or process to obtain it.

I am just trying to educate people so as to be armed with more information when seeking out to get yours in the nearest future when necessary.

[size=14pt]REQUIREMENTS FOR GETTING A BUILDING APPROVAL (IKORODU AS A CASE STUDY)[/size]

1. Proof of Ownership/ Title Documents/ Certificate of Occupancy or Governor's consent

2. Copy of Sun Print Survey Plan

3. 5 sets of Architectural Drawings

4. Current Income tax clearance certificate

5. Current Special Development Levy

6. Tenement Rate

[size=14pt]FEES AND CALCULATIONS OF CERTAIN CHARGES[/size]

1. Tenement Rate:                                                   N5000

2. Building Plan approval Processing Fees:             L X B X H of Building x MF

(L X B X H of Building x MF means LENGHT, BREADTH AND HEIGHT OF BUILDING)

(MF means Multiplying Factor for the location of the Proposed Building from foundation to roof top of the Proposed Building.)

Different Areas have different MFs.

Our Specimen Multiplying Factor (MF) area for calculation here is Ikorodu which is 25.

So if for example the Length is 30, the Breadth is 15 and Height is 10 and the MF is 25, it will mean 30 x 15 x 10 x 25 ( L X B X H X MF)  which is 112, 500

So the Building Plan Approval PROCESSING fee from the above calculation is N112, 500

3. Building Plan Approval APPLICATION Fee:                                                            N10,000

4. Layout Fee                                                                                                N5,000

5.  Registration Fee                                                                                       N5,000

6.  Certificate of Fitness Levy                                                                         N10,000

7. Physical Development Levy  ( This is 10% of the Fees from NUMBER 2 TO NUMBER 6) i.e

N112,500 + N10,000 + N5,000 + N5,000 + N10,000 =N142,500                                                                   

10% Of N142,500 Is N14,250

8. LASPYDA Levy                                                                                             N500

9. LASEMA Levy                                                                                               N5000

10. Fencing Permit                                                                                           N10,000

TOTAL                                                                                                             N177, 25O                   

This is a rough estimate for a building in Ikorodu and the figures used as the L, B and H for the proposed building is an estimate but the MF is 25 for Ikorodu

[size=14pt]The 5 sets of Architectural Drawings With Necessary Stamps and Documents  [/size] include the following:

1. Architectural Drawings: N150,000

2. Structural Drawings: N35,000

3. Electrical building Services Drawings: N50,000

4. Mechanical Building Services Drawings: N50,000

5. Bill of Quantities: N50,000

TOTAL : N335,000

The Above quotation of the Architectural Drawings was supplied to me by one Architect and in no way does it represent the fees each architect charges. Its left for you and your Architect to haggle it out to get a favourable price that benefits both of you.

So if you were to get your approved building plan Including the 5 sets of Architectural Drawings  using this sample quotations for Ikorodu, it might cost you the total sum of N335,000 + 177, 250 =N512, 250

Once again i hope i have been of help to those desirious of knowing how the calculations work and i also issue a caveat that these figures were given to me by a contact in the Town planning Office in Alausa and the cost may be more or less but this is just a rough guide to aid you in doing yours in future.

Cheerio  till next time! smiley

5 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by HANGER2010: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2010
^^^ good one

very much appreciated
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by beninman1(m): 4:01pm On Aug 18, 2010
Very good work Lawyer.
Much appreciated
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by hackney(m): 4:37pm On Aug 18, 2010
Structural drawing cheaper than architectural drawing?
Didnt know that.

Considering that the structural drawing includes incorporation of reinforcement and concrete cross-section sizes
based on strength requirements, i would have thought that structural drawings will cost more.

Also structural drawings are usually more in number as they detail every line elements.
(columns,beams, slabs, rivets,welded joints).
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Caringpro(f): 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Lawyer,
This is quite insightful. Thank you for this information
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by ud4u: 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2010
De law, you have done a great job again.

Keep it up and may the good Lord continue to bless you.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Fhemmmy: 5:24pm On Aug 18, 2010
This is so kool and nice.
But what if i dont want a fence?
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2010
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by mamagee3(f): 8:15pm On Aug 18, 2010
Fhemmmy:

This is so kool and nice.
But what if i dont want a fence?

You leave the house open.

Not everyone has a fence over their houses.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by eros(m): 9:46pm On Aug 18, 2010
Wow!!! God help those of us who want to build houses in Lagos ooooo. I am beginning to reconsider building a house in Lagos.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by ojubi(m): 11:05pm On Aug 18, 2010
eros:

Wow!!! God help those of us who want to build houses in Lagos ooooo. I am beginning to reconsider building a house in Lagos.

MY DEAR FRIEND, DO NT BE THREATEN OR DISCOURAGED BY THOSE FIGURES, IF BUILDING A HOUSE IN LAGOS IS YOUR DREAM WEN THE TIME COMES THAT MONEY WILL BE CHIKEN FEE.
IN 2008 I ALWAYS TELL MY COLLEAGUES IN MY FORMAL OFFICE THAT I WILL SOON START MY BUILDING IN PORTHACOURT AND THEY WILL ALL LAUGH ME TO SCORN COS THEN I WAS EARNING 32,000 NAIRA. BUT BEYOND THAT I HAD A UNIQUE DREAM OF MY OWN AND TODAY I OWN VARIOUS PLOTS OF LAND IN PORTHACOURT. MY BIGEST DREAM TODAY IS TO BECOME A REAL ESTATE DEVELOPER IN PORTHACOURT AND CALABAR.(COS I INVEST MY SAVINGS INTO THE BAYING OF CHEAP PLOT OF LANDS A LITTLE BID FAR AWAY FROM DEVELOP AREAS WHICH I WILL LATTER SELL UPON GOOD APPRECIATION TO BUILD MY OWN HOUSES). I KNOW I CAN DO IT YES I CAN. WHY NOT. ONCE AGAIN REMAIN FOCUS DO NT BE DISCOURAGE.

3 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by 5p1naz(m): 12:08am On Aug 19, 2010
hackney:

Structural drawing cheaper than architectural drawing?
Didnt know that.

Considering that the structural drawing includes incorporation of reinforcement and concrete cross-section sizes
based on strength requirements, i would have thought that structural drawings will cost more.

Also structural drawings are usually more in number as they detail every line elements.
(columns,beams, slabs, rivets,welded joints).

hehe im an architect, and i'd like to explain a bit of that part to you. . . it's cheaper because, the [size=14pt]architect does all the thinking[/size]. . . i mean all the thinking. . . the architect not only draws, he designs. [size=14pt]draw and design are two different things[/size]. . . so the architect does all the thinking about how to make your building [size=14pt]safe, functional and aesthetically pleasing[/size], so that you money pays off at the end of the day. . . the stuctural engineer only comes in around the safety corner, even though the architect had worked a bit of that part already. grin grin grin

@poster, good work here. . .

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by houvest: 1:01am On Aug 19, 2010
I think this is a commendable attempt. Though the approval fees appear to be on the low side. Furthermore the drawing fees apear funny. Electrical and mechanical drawings are not compulsory for approval and so ought not attract higher fees than structural drawing that is compulsory and they are normally taken together. I would suggest the following based on experience: Approval fees 200k
architectural drawing 150k, structural drawing 60k, ie total of 410k.Note also that fees for c of o are not factored in. They are normally high and take time to process as well as its alternative ,governor's consent, where there is already a c of o that is not in the name of the developer.

Now for the purposes of construction, the developer ia advised to obtain an M and E drawing and a bill of qauntities for cost guidance.These are not needed for approval but for construction. So you can add Mechanical/ Electrical drawing 60k and Bill of qauntities 50k. I Hope I have been able to throw more light.

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by kolahinmi(m): 1:04am On Aug 19, 2010
Hi,I disagree that structural engineer only comes in the safety aspect.The structural engr design the building to ensure its standard,has economy and its safe.He does alot of thinking in determining types of foundation to be adopted,structural element sizes,mix ratio,reinforcement sizes and quantities.Its sad that architects underscores the structural engineer.

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by BOMANY: 4:07am On Aug 19, 2010
This is very useful information, like many others, was thinking about buying a peive of land in Ikorudu area an develope it up.

You got many points to me easily, God bless you
smiley smiley
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by 5p1naz(m): 4:48am On Aug 19, 2010
kolahinmi:

Hi,I disagree that structural engineer only comes in the safety aspect.The structural engr design the building to ensure its standard,has economy and its safe.He does alot of thinking in determining types of foundation to be adopted,structural element sizes,mix ratio,reinforcement sizes and quantities.Its sad that architects underscores the structural engineer.

im sorry but you are a lil. bit on the wrong side here. . . i'd have to disagree with the fact that architects underscores structural engineers. . . oh no we dont , i mean the structural engineers are as important as the builders . . . dont mis-quote me. . . but then strutural engineers dont design. . . they deal with the safety aspect of a building. . . if you think a structural engineer designs , give him your building to design and see what happens. . . see i dont know an easier way to say this , my point is the structural engineers are very important but the reason their pay is lower on that pay roll is because the architect is the head of the design team, we do the most part of the job in BUILDINGS. . .

1 Like

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by BOMANY: 5:46am On Aug 19, 2010
@ 5p1naz
@  kolahinmi

I think the issue is very easy and clear, the architect designs buildings while structural engineer make sure that the designated building is built according to the design in all safe and best ways. Many people would go for the second thinking he is enough to do the job from a - z especially if they do not have much money, but mindful people will consider both of them because you cant drop one for the other especially if they want to do something good or costly like towers
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by Nobody: 6:02am On Aug 19, 2010
wonderful post!

though i was thinking the same: the price seems low for ikorodu but very close. keep it up sir.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by rasputinn(m): 6:11am On Aug 19, 2010
lawyer:

[size=14pt]The 5 sets of Architectural Drawings With Necessary Stamps and Documents  [/size] include the following:

1. Architectural Drawings: N150,000

2. Structural Drawings: N35,000

3. Electrical building Services Drawings: N50,000

4. Mechanical Building Services Drawings: N50,000

5. Bill of Quantities: N50,000

TOTAL : N335,000

Good job lawyer

But a quick observation,the five items above do not constitute and architectural drawing,infact only item number 1 is the archtectural drawing
Secondly,it's only items 1 and 2 above that are required for approval,i.e architectural and structural designs.M & E i.e mechanical and electrical drwings,as well as BOQ are not
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by icnsystem(m): 6:12am On Aug 19, 2010
What a helpful information, The foundation of my site in Ikorodu was completed last week, This info will help me alot, thanks
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by rasputinn(m): 6:43am On Aug 19, 2010
lawyer:

[size=14pt]REQUIREMENTS FOR GETTING A BUILDING APPROVAL (IKORODU AS A CASE STUDY)[/size]

1. Proof of Ownership/ Title Documents/ Certificate of Occupancy or Governor's consent

2. Copy of Sun Print Survey Plan

3. 5 sets of Architectural Drawings

4. Current Income tax clearance certificate

5. Current Special Development Levy

6. Tenement Rate

Number 3 should be 5 sets of architectura drawings and 5 sets of structural drawings

Nice job man
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by CFAD: 8:39am On Aug 19, 2010
Hello House,

Pls can someone throw more light on the procedures/ways to get certificate of occupancy in Lagos(Ikorodu)
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by adeshsam(m): 8:56am On Aug 19, 2010
@Lawyer, can u plz post 4 Ogun state, because i think dat's where most pple build houses dis day,

Thnx & God Bless You.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by SHEAU(m): 9:15am On Aug 19, 2010
For QUALITY BUILDING MATERIAL SUPPLIES, contact Toravent on 08037551676, or e-mail: teequick16@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by larimo(m): 9:33am On Aug 19, 2010
Great job lawyer! You are the best.

Outrageous fees!! lipsrsealed angry Arch drawings 150k for approval? How much does it cost to have these drawings M&E, 100k haba Lagos!
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by zoogy2007: 9:38am On Aug 19, 2010
Lawyer. Please I have a question. Must your tax clearance be from Lagos state government? I live in Port Harcourt and I pay my tax to Rivers state but I have virgin plots in Lagos.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by hbrednic: 11:42am On Aug 19, 2010
@ De law,
please i need to talk to you about certain things,do kindly drop your number 4 me to call you,
or rather send it to my box, ibooku200(at)hotmail.com.
thanks man.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by DisGuy: 1:20pm On Aug 19, 2010
Good job lawyer

Lagos go chop money o, considering some buildings i've seen in Lagos you'd never know a Building Control Depart existed shocked shocked

5p1naz

everyone is relevant just that in nigeria, it seem you architect do too much, just like the 'structural' engineers they are getting mixed up so now either the construction manager does the whole thing

Fhemmy fence or nor fence you go pay for am grin
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by munagi: 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2010
Please how can I start developing a half plot of land I bought over two years ago. I really don't have much cash and my school is taking almost all I earn? Please someone should help.
Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by thirdeye(m): 1:57pm On Aug 19, 2010
@Lawyer a great post you have here, I am also compiling one based on my experience in Yaba.
But I will advise if a structural engr is ready to collect 35k from you and not based on personal friendship, sorry don't bother to employ him. That one is structural nothing, you are only going to get some past jobs duplicated for you with some adjustments. Structural drawings are more important to M&E, so you can see that under normal circumstances they shouldn't be higher. The ideal for structural drawings starts fromm 100k up.

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by DisGuy: 2:26pm On Aug 19, 2010
^^ so you mean the higher they charge the better the result or quality of work? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Calculations And Requirements For Obtaining A Building Plan Approval In Lagos by usbcable(m): 3:02pm On Aug 19, 2010
For once I witness constructive criticisms,views and arguments on a front page thread.
no swearin.g / cursin.g / abusin.g of anybody.
very informative insights being shared.
I wish we had more sane discussion of this sort rather than what mostly obtains allover.
pEOPLE VENTING THEIR FRUSTRATIONS ON ANY AVAILABLE OBJECT EVEN IF ITS ON CYBERSPACE.

Good job lawyer.%

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic City Showcases First Street Light / Paradise Estate Abuja, Leaving Behind Tales Of Anguish To Subscribers In Abuja / Which Of These Warehouse Types Should I Go For? Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.