Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense (17899 Views)

Babangida Is The Leader Of The North - Atiku / Maryam Babangida Is Dead! / Maryam Babangida Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 17, 2010
slowly IBB is beginning to make a whole lot of sense.Watched him on AIT today and i was impressed
IMO he is in for the good reasons

if you are with me say Yeaaa

if not say Nayyy
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by becomrich3: 10:31pm On Aug 17, 2010
he cant beat fulani/hausa on thier home ground, it is impossible.

Another factor against IBB is that he is a gwari man, there is NO WAY, I say it again NOWAY he would beat fulani/hausa on thier Home ground. IMPOSSIBLE. only by rigging is that possible.  So if you hear he beat fulani/hausa in fulani/hausa land  know they rigged that election.

IBB cant  win Yorubaland too.
This are the obstacle IBB would have in the election. I think he should have position his son mohammed in niger state than try to come back. age is not on his side too.

IBB should support me to be president,

Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 17, 2010
1. Why do you wish to return to power?

It is not unusual for leaders to wish to return; it is common knowledge and common practice in democratic countries all over the world. My right to contest (to vote and be voted for) is guaranteed by the Constitution. I am free to exercise this right. (it is simply not right for anybody to use his or her constitutional right to deny me or abort my own constitutional and democratic right). I also have moral and social rights to contest any elections in the country – local, state and national elections.

Over the years I have developed a stock of new ideas based on experience, knowledge and deep reflection on the state of the nation.

I am an advocate of “new breed” politics defined by agenda, program, leadership and mindset, and not necessarily by age.

As a tested hand with experience, grasp and national outreach to confront the immense challenges facing the nation and to stabilise the ship of state.

I am a member of a political party; we are in a democracy for which I worked hard to build and sustain. No one can fault or doubt my experience; I claim a good level of hindsight, insight and foresight, even national outreach as well as determination to build on well known and documented achievements in the past.

As a national figure to foster the bonds of national unity – one of the critical challenges of the country.

From across –the- country findings, an excellent pool of Nigerians believe in and trust that our knowledge, experience, personal profile and outreach are needed to reposition and consolidate the country’s economy, social structures and political processes.
2. Dele Giwa’s assassination

It is unfortunate that it happened, more so under our leadership at the time. However, the Supreme Court heard the case of Chief Gani Fawehinmi application to compel a trial of two officials of our administration. The two officials who were wrongly accused or suspected of involvement were never charged to court, any court for trial because of lack of evidence. IBB was only President at the time, and was never indicted personally; neither was any member of his government One of those wrongly accused or suspected has provided written accounts of what happened – published in a book which is available to the general public. A high ranking Police officer and and respected crime investigator (now retired) has published his own findings in a book also available to the general public. We gave full support to the investigation by the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies.
3. Annulment of June 12 (1993) Election

It was an unfortunate event in our history. As President at the time I take full responsibility for the annulment. But I must say, with due moral, constitutional and social responsibility that the decision was based on what in our estimation was in the highest national interest. It bears lessons for me and for the nation.
4. Structural Adjustment Programme and its consequence

This was a programme of fundamental economic and social reform. The country was in a bad economic situation before we came in. Nigerians would recall the traumatic experience of queueing for “essential commodities” (essence!). Just before the Second Republic was overthrown on December 31, 1983, there were negotiations with the country’s major economic and trading partners on reopening credit lines which were blocked; these negotiations were to be facilitated principally by reaching an agreement with IMF on a standby arrangement on its loan facility and conditionality.

The regime that preceded mine which overthrew the Second Republic continued to try to improve the resources for national economic management through various policies,, including more stringent budget measures; use of counter-trade arrangements (“trade by barter”), rearrangement of the country’s overdue debt obligations and negotiations with the IMF; that regime eventually discontinued the “negotiations.
The situation clearly posed an impasse for Nigeria as:

The country’s finances were in a parlous state;

Credit lines, essential for commerce and physical imports, remained blocked as creditors were not ready to reopen them;

Imports from our trading partners (nations) were off cover by the official export credit agencies;

The country had lost its international credit worthiness;
The country needed to embark upon contingent measures and policies such as:

Privatization and commercialization of public enterprises

Deregulation of banking and other financial institutions, aviation (airlines), telecommunications and broadcasting (radio and TV), etc;

Improved external debt management

Establishment of the National Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) for the control and oversight of banking and finance.

As with most reform policies of any government, there were unintended hardships resulting from genuine measures to salvage the economy. Government did a lot to cushion some of the effects through a number of institutions and programmes such as settlement of outstanding debts to contractors and salary arrears, prompt payment of salaries, introduction of the Directorate of Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DFRRI), Peoples Bank, community banks, NERFUND, National Directorate for Emloyment (NDE), Better Life Programme for Rural Women, Urban Mass Transit Programme, etc.

It should be noted that before SAP, the country was at the edge of an economic precipice with dire political and social consequences. Oil, our major export commodity, was then being sold for as low as $11.00 per barrel, and even then it was difficult to find buyers.
We organized a national debate on the IMF loan. SAP was agreed on by the experts we consulted. Consequently, we introduced an economic reform whose key elements were:

budget reforms

abolition of import licences

liberalisation of access to foreign exchange through introduction of the Second –tier Foreign Exchange Market (SFEM)

financial and banking system reform including liberalization of access to credit, and of many credible “new generation banks”

abolition of commodity marketing boards.

It should be noted that the economic reform programme (SAP) inaugurated a paradigm shift in the economic management and economic history of our country – from government dominated and controlled economy to the “expansion and deepening of the private sector economy”. Our foresight on SAP prepared the national economy and society for the new paradigm of globalization and primacy of market-driven economies, and for acquisition of new management skills, etc.
5. Corruption and its sociology

Corruption in government or by officials in government has been long standing problem in Nigeria. It was there during the First Republic. The first military coup d ‘etat was largely justified on the basis of allegations of corruption among past political leaders and public officials in that era. Regrettably, corruption is still very much with us and we need to curb it.

Specifically on our last government, we inherited a system in which corruption was rife. The perception that our government was corrupt or that it institutionalized corruption”, whatever the phrase means, is grossly incorrect. First institutions and measures were established or under-taken by our Administration to fight corruption such as NDLEA, an anti- economic sabotage unit in the SSS, an economic intelligence unit in the Defence Intelligence Agency. We also strengthened the Police Force Special Fraud Unit. Second, any member of our government who was indicted or found guilty of corruption was brought to book. Finally, on the issue of my personal wealth, I want to state for the record that I am one of the most investigated former leaders of this country, and 17 years after leaving office I have not been indicted for corruption or misappropriation of public funds.
6. “Maradonna”, “Evil Genius”; Issue of Trust or Trustworthiness; “Transition (agenda) without end”; Credibility

These issues and appellations were ascribed to me by others, especially my relentless critics. I have never described myself or our Administration in any of those terms.

When people make reference to drawn- out programmes of socio-economic transformation and political transition which we embarked on, they deliberately ignore the lesson of our determination to establish a stable political system; the transition agenda was based on expert advice, had to be gradual to ensure some experience and learning, and with measures to establish best practices. Yes it took long. Yes, there were changes. However, because it was geared towards far-reaching transformation of social, economic and political processes and attitudes, the programme needed appropriate adjustments from time to time. Yet, the focus remained the same. (in fact, it was only twice that the date of handover was formally adjusted- from October, 1990 , as the original date to October, 1992 as advised by the Political Bureau and accepted by the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC) , and to January, 1993. It was the confusion arising from the conduct of party primaries for presidential aspirants in late 1992 to February 1993 that led to the election being held by June 12, 1993. Above all, it was a military regime at the time. Today we have a democratic regime based on rules and regulations, as well as codes and norms to which I fully subscribe.
7. Failure to appear before Oputa Panel

First, my lawyers appeared before the panel on my behalf and made definite requests to enable me to appear personally, including assurances about security and confidentiality. Unfortunately, these guarantees were not given and I had no option than to turn down personal appearance.

Second, I got the intimation that the government at the time was trying to use the white paper on it to intimidate opponents and cast aspersions on my person. We were constrained to go to court to restrain this political and potentially partisan use of the report. The court upheld our prayers and protected my constitutional right, freedom and liberty.
8. “Oil Windfall” – Okigbo Report

All sorts of figures have been mentioned. Strictly speaking, the so-called “oil windfall” receipt in the Okigbo Panel Report was barely $2 billion in the Stabilization Account, not $12.4 billion. As a person and as a President, I was not indicted in any way; in fact, IBB was never personally inferred in the report. The report only said that the fund could have been applied to more productive or regenerative uses like agriculture, more debt repayment, etc. but in our judgement as the government of the day, it was also important to support some worthy causes of national interest such as ECOMOG; development of Abuja, the new FCT; provide more appropriate support for Nigerian embassies abroad; and meet certain defence and security imperatives. (see the IBB Centre’s advertorial on this matter in several newspapers, e.g. This Day, Thursday, June 10, 2010; Vanguard, Thursday, June 10, 2010).
9. The Insinuation to Back out of
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Solomon227(m): 11:05pm On Aug 17, 2010
If IBB is making sense to were probably not old enough to see what hapened btw 1985 and 1993. I will give u a brief summary of events connected to d evil genius. IBB murder his bossom frend Vatsa even after the whole world was begging him 4 mercy, IBB annulled MKO victory and led to the death of MKO and his wife, IBB killed military officers by planting bumb on their plane, IBB killed Dele Giwa in cold blood by letter bomb, IBB stole 12 billion dollars, IBB annuled Yaradua Snr election and barred some politicians from contesting election, universities were shut for months while students were being killed at every opportunity, he unilatterally took Nigeria to a global Islamic organization without consulting other senior people, My problem is dat GEJ is giving this gap-toothed carnibal the freedom he denied millions of people during his ignoble years. I am not unaware d present-day politicians are not saints either but IBB is a worse carnage dat should be avoided at all cost, If diz generation allow IBB to come back again God knows we are truoble, he doesnt 4give, (ask Vatsa widow), he doesnt listen to youth neither does he believe in them (ask Sowore), be warned of the Demon
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Sharonf(f): 11:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
Poster actually meant to write

Babangida is quite DENSE

You will know that 100000 Interviews cannot change 1985-1993.

Besides, this guy is almost 70. When he kpai, you go hear wen
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by youngmonie: 11:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
Solomon227:

If IBB is making sense to were probably not old enough to see what hapened btw 1985 and 1993. I will give u a brief summary of events connected to d evil genius. IBB murder his bossom frend Vatsa even after the whole world was begging him 4 mercy, IBB annulled MKO victory and led to the death of MKO and his wife, IBB killed military officers by planting bumb on their plane, IBB killed Dele Giwa in cold blood by letter bomb, IBB stole 12 billion dollars, IBB annuled Yaradua Snr election and barred some politicians from contesting election, universities were shut for months while students were being killed at every opportunity, he unilatterally took Nigeria to a global Islamic organization without consulting other senior people, My problem is dat GEJ is giving this gap-toothed carnibal the freedom he denied millions of people during his ignoble years. I am not unaware d present-day politicians are not saints either but IBB is a worse carnage dat should be avoided at all cost, If diz generation allow IBB to come back again God knows we are truoble, he doesnt 4give, (ask Vatsa widow), he doesnt listen to youth neither does he believe in them (ask Sowore), be warned of the Demon

I jus want to ask a questionn, was dat all IBB did in his 8 yrs of government?? If u sai yes, u have a biased mind or u dnt evn kno wht ur talking bout or ur jus talking out of mare same old things if u sai no, we wud like to know more
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Oba234: 11:22pm On Aug 17, 2010
making sense to who? please, he is only making sense to you? This guy really need to get a life. He is 70 yrs old and he already became president once, haba, let it go. Stop being selfish and let other people compete.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 17, 2010
@poster I say nayyyyyyyyyyyy, are u his Nairaland campaign manager? Pls don't be decieve by what u hear, its all a ploy to get back to our national treasury. Be a patrotic nigeria. Don't sell ur vote!!
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by SkyBlue1: 11:29pm On Aug 17, 2010
youngmonie:

I jus want to ask a questionn, was dat all IBB did in his 8 yrs of government?? If u sai yes, u have a biased mind or u dnt evn kno wht your talking bout or your jus talking out of mare  same old things if u sai no, we wud like to know more

Why don't you spare us the rant and list some of the IBB achievements you want us to focus on instead? Let us forget Structural Adjustment programme, or the death of industrialisation in Nigeria during his tenure, or the continuous shifting of goal post and handover dates and all the things that earned him the name 'maradona', why don't you lavish us with his achievments? We curiously await. . .
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by BigB11(m): 11:32pm On Aug 17, 2010
slowly IBB is beginning to make a whole lot of sense.Watched him on AIT today and i was impressed
IMO he is in for the good reasons

@poster:
IBB is always making sense, in fact, I have never seen someone who has so much wisdom and ability to put smile on one's face. FYI: His thinking is so broad that it's almost unbelievable.
I can assure you people that in the next few months many haters will experience a change of heart; yes, he is that magnificent.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 17, 2010
@poster I say nayyyyyyyyyyyy, are u his Nairaland campaign manager? Pls don't be decieve by what u hear, its all a ploy to get back to our national treasury. Be a patrotic nigeria. Don't sell ur vote!!
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Solomon227(m): 11:37pm On Aug 17, 2010
I surely say NO to the dullest, d most wicked, most heartless, dumbest ruler Nigeria has ever had,
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by youngmonie: 11:50pm On Aug 17, 2010
Sky Blue:

Why don't you spare us the rant and list some of the IBB achievements you want us to focus on instead? Let us forget Structural Adjustment programme, or the death of industrialisation in Nigeria during his tenure, or the continuous shifting of goal post and handover dates and all the things that earned him the name 'maradona', why don't you lavish us with his achievments? We curiously await. . .
The establishment of new Universities and Polytechnics.
The movement of Federal Capital from Lagos to Abuja.
.The reorganization of the Nigeria Police into seven Zonal Operation Areas.
The unemployment grant to States for agricultural programmes and vocational skills.
.Establishment of Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
A 46-member Panel to review the 1979 Constitution. .The creation of Akwa Ibom, Katsina, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kogi, Osun, Yobe and Taraba States and over 136 new Local Government Areas with take off grants.
Direct funding of Local Government Areas from the Federal Government to make them autonomous.
National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA).
. National Orientation Agency (NOA) formerly known as the ‘‘Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery’’ (MAMSER).
. National Directorate of Employment (NDE).
Federal Environment Protection Agency (FEPA).
. Lagos Third Mainland Bridge.
. Federal Urban Mass Transit programme. . The 1991 National Population Census (NPC).
. National Women Commission. . The Directorate of Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DIFRRI).
. Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).
. National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
. National Housing Fund.
. Commission of the Onne Fertilizer Plant in Rivers State.
. The 260 million dollars Petrol Chemical Plant in Kaduna.
. NNPC Escravos- Lagos Gas Pipeline at Egbin,
. National Electoral Commission (. Elesa Eleme Refinery in River State.
Children Trust Fund.
. Resumed diplomatic relations with Israel
Central Bank Autonomy Decree, . Others were: NAFDAC; Ecomog; Reduction of import duties on newsprint, etc. I

This may not make sense to u , buh take a look at how this country is now compareds to what it was den, Ibbs regime was far better than dat of objs regimee, we din have all dis 9je delta issues, standard of living was much better den than now
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by koruji(m): 12:00am On Aug 18, 2010
Big B1:

@poster:
IBB is always making sense, in fact, I have never seen someone who has so much wisdom and ability to put smile on one's face. FYI: His thinking is so broad that it's almost unbelievable.
I can assure you people that in the next few months many haters will experience a change of heart; yes, he is that magnificent.
He he he -- "Jesus of Minna" - savior of the world not just Nigeria!

Haven't you read or heard the description of Lucifer in the Holy Bible. Or maybe you missed the shrewed twisting of the Bible that devil performed as he made an to tamper with the faith of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by bidemi12(m): 12:00am On Aug 18, 2010
IBB making sense? either that or you are going crazy!!! Only a crazy person would IBB make sense to. wink
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by BigB11(m): 12:09am On Aug 18, 2010
There is nothing left, but the best of the best of IBB; do not let us miss the great opportunity to bring our country back.
He has the experience because he has been there before, he has the unique wisdom because he's older and had a few years to clearly watch and understand what needs to be done, he has unique stamina because he is still the most respected politician in Nigeria today, he completely understands unity because he thinks broadly it's almost unbelievable, and more than anything else he has the uncompromising support of the group of the biggest fish in Nigeria; hence, accomplishing his goals effectively and efficiently as our president is very much feasible.

In a few more months it will become more clearer to Nigerians in general that nobody else can quickly take us to the promise land like our one and only incredible IBB.

He is completely focused, committed and his skin is thicker than the skin of crocodile, therefore, haters can continue to cry till the moon shines, IBB will not stop till he is elected as the number 1 man of the Rep of Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by egift(m): 12:11am On Aug 18, 2010
@ youngmonie:
That's a great list , Oya can someone post that of GEJ and others make we compare. Abi?
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Sharonf(f): 12:12am On Aug 18, 2010
Big B1:

There is nothing left, IBB will not stop till he is elected as the number 1 man of the Rep of Nigeria.

Does that mean that he is ready to rig his way into office?

egift:

@ youngmonie:
That's a great list , Oya can someone post that of GEJ and others make we compare. Abi?

Is there anyone here campaigning for Johnathan? Certainly not me!

youngmonie:

The unemployment grant to States for agricultural programmes and vocational skills.
.Establishment of Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
A 46-member Panel to review the 1979 Constitution. .The creation of Akwa Ibom, Katsina, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kogi, Osun, Yobe and Taraba States and over 136 new Local Government Areas with take off grants.
- What did these achieve during his 8 years??

Direct funding of Local Government Areas from the Federal Government to make them autonomous.
. National Orientation Agency (NOA) formerly known as the ‘‘Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery’’ (MAMSER).
- You have highlighted the carefully created channels of his corruption
. Federal Urban Mass Transit programme. . The 1991 National Population Census (NPC).
. National Women Commission. . The Directorate of Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DIFRRI).
. National Housing Fund.
Children Trust Fund.
Central Bank Autonomy Decree, . Others were: NAFDAC; Ecomog; Reduction of import duties on newsprint, etc.
- NONE of which were effective during his time! They made NO impact on the lives of Nigerians!

This may not make sense to u , buh take a look at how this country is now compareds to what it was den, Ibbs regime was far better than dat of objs regimee, we din have all dis 9je delta issues, standard of living was much better den than now

Despite all these, the 1985 Naira which was N1 to $2, slipped to 1992 to N20 to $1. Explain this in terms of your messiah, Sirs.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Solomon227(m): 12:17am On Aug 18, 2010
Youngmonie=Big1. U know I was almost hoodwinked into believing u guys dont know u are selling poisons. But I just realise u know exactly what u are peddling. Sory we aint buying yoh pooo, check the hatred for 1 man (even an equally evil OBJ never elicited this much hatred and emotion). But as u guys are trying to earn your living I cannot blame u but dont put pooh on our face bad telling us d good tins he has done, IBB is an epidemic we all must avoid. Thank God all odds her surely against him. Buhari is more popular than him in the north, the south and mid-belt are rooting for GEJ and GEJ surely controls the PDP machinery even if he didnt want to contest he can easily make sure IBB didnt pick the PDP ticket,
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by koruji(m): 12:20am On Aug 18, 2010
You either playing the ostrich or ignorant. Either way the overall question to you is what became of all of these programs, when you single-handedly threw the entire nation into turmoil. Let me tell you IBB's hope has always been that this turmoil will lead him back to Aso Rock. Think about it. What is a 70-year old looking to do for Nigeria that cannot be continued through his proteges? No, IBB has nobody's interest at heart other than his own. See some specifics below:

youngmonie:

The establishment of new Universities and Polytechnics ===> You mean by closing down universities and causing the nations university workforce to leave our shores enmass.
The movement of Federal Capital from Lagos to Abuja ===> So what? OBJ started it. You don't build a capital city in one year
.The reorganization of the Nigeria Police into seven Zonal Operation Areas. ===> Again so what? The only things that change is which zone you get to lose your N50 wink
.Establishment of Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery (MAMSER). ===> You mean the jamboree that had no head or no tail, and was designed to make him president for life
. A 46-member Panel to review the 1979 Constitution. . ===> The constitution was so good, Abacha/Abdusalami got rid of it
. The creation of Akwa Ibom, Katsina, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kogi, Osun, Yobe and Taraba States and over 136 new Local .Government Areas with take off grants
Direct funding of Local Government Areas from the Federal Government to make them autonomous.  National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA).
. National Orientation Agency (NOA) formerly known as the ‘‘Mass Mobilization for Self-Reliance Social Justice and Economic Recovery’’ (MAMSER). ===> You are shamelessly double-counting - Typical IBB style
.Federal Environment Protection Agency (FEPA).
. Federal Urban Mass Transit programme. .
.The 1991 National Population Census (NPC).
. National Housing Fund.
. National Electoral Commission
. Elesa Eleme Refinery in River State.
Children Trust Fund.
Central Bank Autonomy Decree, . Others were: NAFDAC; Ecomog; Reduction of import duties on newsprint, etc. I

Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by SkyBlue1: 12:23am On Aug 18, 2010
youngmonie:

. National Housing Fund.
.  NNPC Escravos- Lagos Gas Pipeline at Egbin,
Children Trust Fund.

This may not make sense to u , buh take a look at how this country is now compareds to what it was den,  Ibbs regime was far better than dat of objs regimee, we din have all dis 9je delta issues,  standard of living was much better den than now

Sorry but a lot of the items on your list are quite predictable and I expected it, I mean, when did creation of more states (many which can't even support themselves) become an achievement? Why was the federal capital moved to Abuja (don't play naive)? MAMSER/NOA, NDE, FREC, NHIS, NHF, please what have their achievements been? Is creation of government agencies (and more bureaucracy) now the benchmark of effective leadership? Is this not the same IBB that is apparently now talking about the need for small government? The same man that seems to be trying to distance himself from what you espouse as his achievements?

I would like you to put things in context instead of trying to rewrite the babangida era. Babangida ruled for eight solid years in a military regime. During this time he didn't really have to deal with the slow processes and procedures that have become synonymous with presidential democracies, what he said pretty much went, hence putting him in a better position to actually bring about real changes in Nigeria IF he wanted to. What happened instead? He kept putting off handing over and eventually led us to Abacha. Of course life in the IBB years might seem better when you compare it to now considering there was some order before he entered accelerated the downward spiral of the country. Why don't you make a more useful comparison and tell us how life was before IBB entered and how it was after he left? How was the economy? We keep shouting corruption this corruption that, which regime turned 'chop I chop' into a political culture? People might argue that the Buhari regime was strict but compare the order during that era and what was obtainable during the IBB regime. What about education? IBB is not the only President to build Universities and polytechnics but why don't we again make more substantial comparisons with regards to education during the IBB regime when I might add Universities were shut for months? Is education to you simply building of new schools buildings? This whole culture of ASUU going on strike, please what era did it really start? SAP, what benefit did it bring to the economy? I could go on but it would be pointless because I believe you know all of the issues but just chose to go on some campaign website and copy and paste, thinking I would be intimidated by all those abbreviations for defunct and failed government agencies which during his tenure were a means of siphoning money.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Solomon227(m): 12:24am On Aug 18, 2010
. National Housing Fund.
.  NNPC Escravos- Lagos Gas Pipeline at Egbin,
Children Trust Fund.
U still dont get it. Ask OBJ what he did in 8 years he will come with a list 10 times your own and we are all living witness to how beter we fair during and after OBJ, according to your low standar IBB is a performer by stealing billions and giving peanuts to frends and cronies, anyway we are not voting the only place we want him to be is Kirikiri and so shall it be
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by koruji(m): 12:26am On Aug 18, 2010
egift:

@ youngmonie:

Why don't you first list for us how many years Jonathan has ruled this country?

While you are it I need a list of the people that died under direct orders of IBB?

You will also need to get paper long enough to collect the signature of the millions of Nigerians whose vote IBB annulled without regard to their welfare

Don't forget to reach into the beyond, preferable with IBB in your company, to seek the forgiveness of Abiola and Vatsa.

We'll be waiting!
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by SkyBlue1: 12:29am On Aug 18, 2010
Solomon227:

U still dont get it. Ask OBJ what he did in 8 years he will come with a list 10 times your own and we are all living witness to how beter we fair during and after OBJ, according to your low standar IBB is a performer by stealing billions and giving peanuts to frends and cronies, anyway we are not voting the only place we want him to be is Kirikiri and so shall it be

That is the thing, these lists are not that difficult to compile and unfortunately many would fall for it thinking it reads as a list of sucessful achievements, just ask Peter Odilli. Peter Odilli was probably the worst governor Rivers State ever saw, yet he had a long list of achievemtns made up of mundane trite displayed as achievements for Nigerians to read. He was corrupt, pretty much ran down his state, indicted by EFCC of stealing 100billion naira (and that is only the one Nigerians know of) etc, but hey, he did win some 'best governor' award in the country so it just goes to show that people can fall for anything.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by BigB11(m): 12:33am On Aug 18, 2010
No need to throw sucker punch, please respect yourselves
You're not my father; please don't attempt to prescribe who I shouldn't vote for, just state your point and move on.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by koruji(m): 12:43am On Aug 18, 2010
No you got it wrong. At ~70, IBB is an orange whose juice is gone. The only thing left is for him to dry up and shrivel.

Big B1:

There is nothing left, but the best of the best of IBB; do not let us miss the great opportunity to bring our country back.

He has the experience because he has been there before = [size=15pt]He he, your wife can't get pregnant, but hey here is her previous abusive husband to the rescue. Great logic from IBB folks as always.[/size]

He has the unique wisdom because he's older ([size=15pt]Ageism, another disease that holds back Nigeria is the reason we must give IBB the presidency[/size]) and had a few years to clearly watch and understand what needs to be done[size=15pt]And all these years he was keeping it under wraps until Yar'adua dies? - great wisdom right there[/size], he has unique stamina [size=15pt]Yeah - the unique stamina of a 70 year old grin[/size] because he is still the most respected politician in Nigeria today[size=15pt] Speak for yourself and your buldging bank account[/size], he completely understands unity because he thinks broadly it's almost unbelievable[size=15pt]Wake up you are in a trance[/size], and more than anything else he has the uncompromising support of the group of the biggest fish in Nigeria[size=15pt]Now you are revealing your strategy, bit by bit - biggest fish, how about antelope?[/size]; hence, accomplishing his goals effectively and efficiently as our president is very much feasible.

In a few more months it will become more clearer to Nigerians in general that nobody else can quickly take us to the promise land like our one and only incredible IBB.[size=15pt]This does it for me - you are into IBB's religion of price is right. Listen, NOBODY is going to take Nigeria into the promised land, but Nigerians - we 'll start by making sure nobody sends us back the wrong way another several years like he did from 1985 - 1999[/size]

He is completely focused, committed and his skin is thicker than the skin of crocodile, therefore, haters can continue to cry till the moon shines, IBB will not stop till he is elected as the number 1 man of the Rep of Nigeria.[size=15pt]This is not about hating - this is about preserving whatever is left of the future of our childern, by making sure that this bloodsucker doesn't get his fangs into our necks one more time[/size]
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by doyin13(m): 1:10am On Aug 18, 2010
Who is the idiot comparing Obj to Babangida. What the Bleep does Obj have to do with the issue at hand.
Is Obj running for the presidency?

Comparing one failed regime with another.
Bloody person. . . .
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 18, 2010
youngmonie:

. National Housing Fund.
Children Trust Fund.

Sharon_f:

Despite all these, the 1985 Naira which was N1 to $2, slipped to 1992 to N20 to $1. Explain this in terms of your messiah, Sirs.

Sharon_f:

From 1993 till date- 1$ to N150. is that also IBB's fault?
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by paddylo1(m): 2:45am On Aug 18, 2010
Oh u want to know how ibb did when he was in power?

very simple. . .

in 1985 when ibb came in our GDP was $28.4billion

and in 1993 when he stepped aside,  our GDP had fallen to $21.4billion dollars

so lets see that means our GDP shrank by 25% in those 8yrs. . .

that alone should mean he is a failure. . .do u understand what it means for an economy to shrink 25% in 8yrs

If that happened in america there will be riots and anarchy in the streets(oh yea there were riots in naija sha)

u dont wanna live through that trust me. . . cool

PLS see link for details. . .

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:NGA&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48&hl=en&dl=en
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by bidemi12(m): 2:45am On Aug 18, 2010
my head is still reeling from the responses on this thread. By the special grace of God IBB will be president. I swear you'all deserve him. Can you imagine? amnesia is a serious problem in that country. A nation deserves the leaders it gets. IBB for president ke. Its like asking the devil to take countrol of one's life. wish you'all good luck. You'll definitely need it.
Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by paddylo1(m): 2:51am On Aug 18, 2010
thinking I would be intimidated by all those abbreviations for defunct and failed government agencies which during his tenure were a means of siphoning money.

lol. . i am baffled that someone could actually point to that long list of GOVT failed projects as achievement. . .

what was so hard in setting up and nurturing car assembly plants. .that he couldnt do

having an industrial policy

what about the failed promise of turning aba into a technology village

truth be told IBB squandered his 8yrs in power,chasing shadows

how can someone in their right mind tell me that setting up MAMSER is an achievement. . is it a joke. .

Re: Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense by Nobody: 2:53am On Aug 18, 2010
bidemi12:

my head is still reeling from the responses on this thread. By the special grace of God IBB will be president. I swear you'all deserve him. Can you imagine? amnesia is a serious problem in that country. A nation deserves the leaders it gets. IBB for president ke. Its like asking the devil to take countrol of one's life. wish you'all good luck. You'll definitely need it.
AMEN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Civilians Among Dead In Nigeria's Boko-Haram Offensive - Aljazeera / 9ice Calls for Annulment of APC Rep Primaries In Ogbomosho North / Fayose Rejects Dickson Committee Report, Vows Never To Work With Modu Sheriff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.