Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,878 members, 7,810,338 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria (605 Views)

Top 10 Beneficiaries Of CBN’s N1.1 Trillion Anchor Borrowers Program / N1.1trn Anchor Borrowers’ Loan: Tinubu Orders Security Agencies To Recover Cash / Buhari Decorates Hassan Abubakar, The Newly Promoted PAF Commander (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by SEONaijaExpert: 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2019
As a Nigerian, it is disturbing for me to watch a respected politician in the person of Atiku Abubakar come to a national TV and lie with confidence.

In as much as I'm struggling to put party sentiments aside, we still can't ignore the fact that 16 years of economic convenience can not be compared to 4 years of economic struggle.

Also, we can't ignore the fact that this economic struggle was a gradual build up with several warnings coming from various verified bodies and persons about this pending economic breakdown.

The former vice-president on The Candidates yesterday said the Anchor Borrowers Programme is fake.

I'd like to stress on this because the agricultural sector tops the list of the areas where the diversification agenda of this administration was activated.

Before 2015, the importation of rice per annum in this country exceeded $1 billion and unfortunately on our nation’s food importation bill, rice and wheat tops the list of four items that consumed a N1 trillion in foreign exchange.

Hence, it's wisdom to cut down on importation and divert the money to encourage our farmers grow rice locally. In 2015, President Buhari in his diversification agenda came up with Anchor Borrowers Programme which started in 36 states through 13 state government anchors and 127 private-led anchors.

The aim was to grant loans to farmers of wheat, cassava, soya beans, maize, cotton, groundnut, fish and poultry and especially rice.

The agricultural initiatives of Anchor Borrowers Programme was backed up alongside other similar programmes but attending to different areas, like the Paddy Aggregation Scheme (meant to provide credit facilities to Integrated Rice Millers and Large Scale Aggregators at single at single digit interest to increase rice production, effecting lower prices and enhancing national food security) and the Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme (that ensures agriculture projects are duly funded)

The CBN report in 2018 state and I quote,

“The implementation of the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme continued in the review period with the disbursement of N36.37 billion to 155,732 farmers, compared with N12.57 billion to 27 farmers in the first half of 2017. This brought the cumulative disbursements, since inception, to N91.90 billion, with 412,037 small-holder farmers as beneficiaries. The Programme was being implemented in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory through thirteen (13) state government anchors and one hundred and twenty-seven (127) private-led anchors.

“In the first half of 2018, a total of 10,420 loans valued at N1.75 billion were guaranteed under the ACGS, compared with 21,073 loan valued at N3.07 billion in the corresponding period of 2017. This indicated 50.6 and 43.0 per cent decline in volume and value guaranteed, respectively. An analysis of the loans guaranteed by purpose showed that: food crops accounted for 7,104 (68.2 percent); livestock, 1,051 (10.1 percent); mixed crops, 383 (3.7 percent); cash crops, 1,230 (11.8 percent); fisheries, 445 (4.3 percent); and ‘others’, 207 (2.0 percent). An analysis by category of borrower showed that: individuals accounted for N1.71 billion, (97.3 percent); informal groups, N26.02 million (1.5 percent); cooperatives, N11.61 million (0.7 percent); and companies, N9.75 million (0.6 percent), compared with N2.98 billion (98.5 percent) for individuals; informal groups, N7.88 million (0.3 percent); cooperatives, N22.50 million (0.7 percent); and companies, N13.90 million (0.5 percent) in the corresponding period of 2017."

A close look at the present records, the Anchor Borrowers Programme has generated over 2.5 million farm related jobs across the country. From the ABP, there's now a serious reduction in the volume of rice imported in this country which presently stands at 5% and production now at 6.5 million metric tones.

I do hope that the well meaning Nigerians are not deceived by this statement. It's good we set the records straight and not lie for political gains.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by obi4eze(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2019
undecided
Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2019
Good argument. A mind that sees the truth and speaks it irrespective of party affiliations or political leanings is a mature mind.
Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by rottennaija(m): 6:02pm On Jan 31, 2019
That's politics for you. Atiku has to lie to get what he wants
Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by psucc(m): 6:03pm On Jan 31, 2019
Bros, that report by CBN is as faulty as whatever one may think on earth. The Anchor Borrower Scheme is a scam and is being used to cover some expenses that could not be captured or whose subhead could not be immediately ascertain.

Politics aside, the scheme was advertised and applied for (trust Nigerians), but I tell you that much as I know in Akwa ibom, I have not seen any of the applicants granted. Don't know about other states, sha!

[quote author=SEONaijaExpert post=75298131][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by livelymatilda22: 6:04pm On Jan 31, 2019
Atiku "Guy man" and Obi are chronic lying machine...

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by SEONaijaExpert: 6:08pm On Jan 31, 2019
psucc:
Bros, that report by CBN is as faulty as whatever one may think on earth. The Anchor Borrower Scheme is a scam and is being used to cover some expenses that could not be captured or whose subhead could not be immediately ascertain.

Politics aside, the scheme was advertised and applied for (trust Nigerians), but I tell you that much as I know in Akwa ibom, I have not seen any of the applicants granted. Don't know about other states, sha!

You're part of the problem of this country. Because you've not seen any applicant in your family or around you doesn't mean it's not existing. If you're not within the stipulated qualification for a loan, you don't generalized. Pls speak for yourself and type it with facts.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by psucc(m): 6:14pm On Jan 31, 2019
Please keep it low. It has not gotten to raining insult and abuses on each other. Be civilized for once.

I didn't mean friends and acquaintances. I mean the long list of applicants in Akwa Ibom State. Even the Officials that handle the scheme keep telling us that nothing has happened since after that. Please be civilized.
SEONaijaExpert:

You're part of the problem of this country. Because you've not seen any applicant in your family or around you doesn't mean it's not existing. If you're not within the stipulated qualification for a loan, you don't generalized. Pls speak for yourself and type it with facts.
Re: Atiku Abubakar: The Impact Of The Anchor Borrowers Programme In Nigeria by SEONaijaExpert: 6:33pm On Jan 31, 2019
psucc:
Please keep it low. It has not gotten to raining insult and abuses on each other. Be civilized for once.

I didn't mean friends and acquaintances. I mean the long list of applicants in Akwa Ibom State. Even the Officials that handle the scheme keep telling us that nothing has happened since after that. Please be civilized.
Don't act like a pretentious victim. When does asking about your family become an insult? My words are picked carefully so you won't make me be sentimental about you.

I asked again, did anyone in your family applied? Who are those around you that applied? I can spot a lie from a afar. You changed your words again to long list of applicants. I think you should stop being ignorant. Do you practice farming? What structures do you have available?

I'm asking important questions and you've been making other people your answer. I think your definition of being civilized is coming out here to post a lie.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

INEC Release Full Registered Voters List For Various States / Trust Me, You Don't Want To See Next Level / Buhari Violates Electoral Laws, He Should Be Shot (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.