Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,955 members, 7,828,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG (824 Views)

Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) / Why I Fired Police IG, Suleiman Abba – Jonathan / Chidi Lloyd Sues Police For N50billion Over Ill-treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by AloyEmeka5: 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2010
[size=14pt]Boy sues IG, others over father's killing[/size]

Olalekan Adetayo, Ibadan

A four-year-old boy, Master David Olawale, has dragged the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, the commissioners of police in charge of Ogun and Oyo states as well as a police inspector to a Federal High Court sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State, over the killing of his father, Mr. Babalola Olawale.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/18/808.html

In suit number FHC/IB/C8/65/2010, the only surviving child of the 36-year-old motor dealer is praying the court to declare the shooting and killing of his father as a gross violation of sections 33(1) and 34 of the 1999 Constitution.

His father was allegedly shot dead on July 1, 2010 in Ibadan by a police inspector attached to the Criminal Investigation Department of the Ogun State Police Command.

He was said to have been shot dead while arguing with some policemen who wanted to arrest him for allegedly receiving stolen vehicles.

The policemen were said to have gone on the mission with a robbery suspect.

Olawale is also to asking the court to declare that the action of the police in breaking into his mother's house for a search was a breach of private and family life, which contravened Section 37 of the constitution.

He also asked the court to restrain the defendants from further harassing, victimising, disturbing, arresting, detaining or subjecting his mother, Opeyemi, to any form of indignity, inhuman or degrading treatment even as he asked for the release of the corpse of his father for a befitting burial.

He is also demanding N100m for the alleged wrongful killing.

His lawyer, Mr. Abiola Olagunju, in Ibadan on Monday, alleged that since the killing, David's mother had been receiving strange messages from anonymous individuals. The unidentified persons allegedly threatend to deal with her if she refused to drop her demand for justice.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/18/808.html
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 7:40pm On Aug 19, 2010
Why doesn't the widow just file the case on her own and not use her child to garner sympathy from the court? angry
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 19, 2010
^^^^

maybe if you were the victim of the madness of teh murderous men in black you'd think differently

reponsible law abiding nigerians are being murdered everyday by these bastards and you're mouthing off about 'garnering sympathy' angry
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

maybe if you were the victim of the madness of teh murderous men in black you'd think differently

reponsible law abiding nigerians are being murdered everyday by these bastards and you're mouthing off about 'garnering sympathy' angry

I beg your pardon? I asked why a FOUR YEAR OLD is named as the plaintiff in this case and you're equating it to me diminishing the atrocities imposed upon Nigerians? Seriously? The mother filed on his behalf for a reason and that's to ensure that they win that settlement.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by AloyEmeka5: 7:56pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

I beg your pardon? I asked why a FOUR YEAR OLD is named as the plaintiff in this case and you're equating it to me diminishing the atrocities imposed upon Nigerians? Seriously? The mother filed on his behalf for a reason and that's to ensure that they win that settlement.

Because she wants to win by hook or crook. If you are in Nigeria, you will understand that it is not easy to go after this men of the underworld and if she is lucky not to get assassinated before the judgment, she deserves a win thereof. Her use of the little boy is a legal tactic and it's not as if the boy will be involved all through the proceeding except if they want to cross examine him on how he feels after the demise of his father. Remember this is a civil suit and not a criminal one.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by puskin: 8:00pm On Aug 19, 2010
The lawyer that gave her that legal advise is simply brilliant. . . .afterall, he wants to get paid handsomely too!!!!
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

Why doesn't the widow just file the case on her own and not use her child to garner sympathy from the court? angry
If there's no law forbidding a toddler to file charges in a court of law,then no big deal at all
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by googles: 8:17pm On Aug 19, 2010
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

so wat happens when the kiddo plantiff is called to testify his case.

they need to sue those animals more often at least we will know the #50 we donate on the road everyday is for a good cause
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 8:20pm On Aug 19, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Because she wants to win by hook or crook. If you are in Nigeria, you will understand that it is not easy to go after this men of the underworld and if she is lucky not to get assassinated before the judgment, she deserves a win thereof. Her use of the little boy is a legal tactic and it's not as if the boy will be involved all through the proceeding except if they want to cross examine him on how he feels after the demise of his father. Remember this is a civil suit and not a criminal one.

I know she wants to win at all costs; that's why I said she's using her son to gain sympathy from the court. If the mother can be killed what makes her son safe? I don't think this case has anything to do with fear but about collecting big bucks, end of story.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by AloyEmeka5: 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

I know she wants to win at all costs; that's why I said she's using her son to gain sympathy from the court. If the mother can be killed what makes her son safe? I don't think this case has anything to do with fear but about collecting big bucks, end of story.

Its not only about big bucks but to showcase their pain and suffering so that other cops will learn from the lesson. It is called tough love.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

Winning a case has nothing to do with sympathy but your presentation and the effectiveness of your counsel. .don't be surprised if the policeman regain his freedom provided his lawyer could outsmart the plaintiff's lawyer.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 9:05pm On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Winning a case has nothing to do with sympathy but your presentation and the effectiveness of your counsel. .don't be surprised if the policeman regain his freedom provided his lawyer could outsmart the plaintiff's lawyer.

It shouldn't but it can work, especially if the child is young and cute enough. Besides, the officer that killed the boy's father: wasn't he out of his jurisdiction or do state police in Nigeria cross state lines with impunity?
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

It shouldn't but it can work, especially if the child is young and cute enough. Besides, the officer that killed the boy's father: wasn't he out of his jurisdiction or do state police in Nigeria cross state lines with impunity?
They have a good case already but the modalities they employ would actually determine the success of the case anyways i can't to see the policeman to be executed by firing squad.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by IVORY2009(m): 9:21pm On Aug 19, 2010
This is Ridiculous grin
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by EzeUche22(m): 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2010
In the U.S., a mother would never put her child on the stand in a suit like this!

You think some of these people are above going after children? What was she thinking? She should of put her own name on the suit, instead of using her child. Point blank!
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

They have a good case already but the modalities they employ would actually determine the success of the case anyways i can't to see the policeman to be executed by firing squad.

Execution? Wait, is there also a criminal case going on?
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by AloyEmeka5: 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2010
EzeUche22:

In the U.S., a mother would never put her child on the stand in a suit like this!

You think some of these people are above going after children? What was she thinking? She should of put her own name on the suit, instead of using her child. Point blank!

We are in Nigeria and not the US. There is a big difference in their legal systems.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2010
Travelista:

Execution? Wait, is there also a criminal case going on?
This is a murder case in which the police ought to charge the policeman involved to court but since they wanted to die off the case,the woman had no other alternative than to see justice from the court of law.I think a murder case would be established but don't know if they would get compensation in the end.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by smile4kenn(m): 10:11pm On Aug 19, 2010
This is child abuse!
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by Travelista(f): 10:20pm On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

This is a murder case in which the police ought to charge the policeman involved to court but since they wanted to die off the case,the woman had no other alternative than to see justice from the court of law.I think a murder case would be established but don't know if they would get compensation in the end.

I'm more surprised that the police officer hasn't been criminally charged. The civil suit was bound to happen either way but the officer was out of his legal jurisdiction; he should be held on that at the very least. One good thing that can come out of this is legal precedence will have been set regarding holding officers (and their superiors) financially responsible when they gun down civilians.
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by AloyEmeka5: 11:34pm On Aug 19, 2010
smile4kenn:

This is child abuse!
Ahoi perema. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 4-yr Old Boy Sues Police IG by seyibrown(f): 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2010
That the case is in his name does not mean he has to testify! How much has a four year old got to say?

(1) (Reply)

Nafdac Dg Failed Assassination Attempt / A New Nigeria Is Possible! By Team Ribadu National Coordinator, Sunday Ogidigbo / Us Awards $130m Medical Education Grant To Five Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.