Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,833 members, 7,831,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? (10737 Views)

7 Reasons To Return Home To Nigeria / FG Orders Airport Remodelling Contractors To Return N17.6bn / Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
wow godwinkn very convenient for you to suggest all that before you return. I guess you want others to get through the hard work of building and fully developing a nation so you can come and enjoy it.

Thinking about it, isn't that what you're doing abroad, it could be said that you are enjoying the fruit of labour of others who worked towards it millions of years ago; and we wonder why some countries detest foreigners.

If only the Malaysians, Indians and Chinese thought the same way, wonder if they would have had such rapid developments in their countries.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Yinkaboy: 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2010
Salsman -I agree

Your right about the british class system. The admission for universities just happened thursday, 1/4 student did not get a place, only 30% blacks get an education in the UK, and despite Obama we all know that blacks in the US are poorly educated.

They told these folks who could not get nto university to go and volunteer with homeless people embarassed Education for Nigerian children brought up overseas is not easy at all.

Time and time again, I have family friends in the UK who have sons, who get into trouble, they send them back to Nigeria for schooling at a private school, the boys need discipline.

At the moment because of the government cuts in the UK,  fewer number of university spots are allocated to UK/EU students, you have better shot being from outside the UK, yes having a nigerian passport and applying. Although you will pay higher fees.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by suedoh2006(m): 10:32pm On Aug 23, 2010
Look no matter what you do, is only God that can change the situation of Nigeria. Look we are in the last dayz and no one can change prophecy. I left Nigeria with nothing and now people are saying invest in home when i did not gain nothing from. I'm been real, most people left Nigeria because of the lack of opportunity and if there has been opportunity i don't think i will be here today. But so far, i'm here and decide to give back to where i reap from. let those who stole our money start by been a good example then the rest will follow suit. No offence, life is the same everywhere, you can live better that those of us here but the fact is people from the west can complain about tax but they don't beg for food. There's always food and if not the gov't have programme for that.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by WAVixen: 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
ok, we're progressing quite expediently. But let's not forget its NIGERIA we're talking about. It's not an onslaught against our Motherland, but the odds are heavily stacked against anything perceived as the norm. How/ Why would someone like IBB come out to contest elections? (This is digressing) but at the end of the day it boils down to how the Country will eventually be run. There are millions of Nigerians who want things done the right way, the 'establishment' is dead set against it. People talk about the citizens not playing their own parts, I beg to disagree. NEPA/PHCN bills get paid and no light. Is it the responsibility of the consumer to ensure power is routed to his/her house?

Take Lagos state for example, BRF ( Babatuunde Raji Fashola) has done quite a bit for his state, yes, sure why should he be praised it was what he was elected to do in the first place, but lets not forget it's NIGERIA we are talking about. It takes a certain level of moral conscience to step up to the plate and say no to the Nigerian norm. Going round other States of the federation, you'll see that other Governors are now forced to sit up and at 'least' do what is meant to be done.

Accountability? Who is accountable to whom in the system that is run in Nigeria? All this said and done, we come back to adopted Countries of those in Diaspora, people made sacrifices and LAWS that are obeyed to get to where they are today. The race card, should't be used all the time about people not progressing over a certain level because they are green, red or blue. And even if this play (s) (ed) out, na their Country.

There are two sides to a coin, there are pros and cons to situations, so whichever pays one is quite ok.

P.s the comments on Rwanda, mali, etc perceived as lesser than Nigeria is questionable. Been to some African Countries and believe me, you'd cry for our Country. Good roads, law and order, bribe ke? no way. Some will postulate our population, but what's that got to do with it? Has it really got to do with the entity called Nigeria itself or WE the Nigerians??
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by OvieE: 10:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
suedoh2006:

Look no matter what you do, is only God that can change the situation of Nigeria. Look we are in the last dayz and no one can change prophecy. I left Nigeria with nothing and now people are saying invest in home when i did not gain nothing from. I'm been real, most people left Nigeria because of the lack of opportunity and if there has been opportunity i don't think i will be here today. But so far, i'm here and decide to give back to where i reap from. let those who stole our money start by been a good example then the rest will follow suit. No offence, life is the same everywhere, you can live better that those of us here but the fact is people from the west can complain about tax but they don't beg for food. There's always food and if not the gov't have programme for that.

Good thought. If we have the opportunity as we have where we are now, no-one will live Nigeria except to go to overseas for vacations. I am one hundred support you the place I bold. Let those who ruin the country take a step first.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 10:50pm On Aug 23, 2010
WAVixen:

ok, we're progressing quite expediently. But let's not forget its NIGERIA we're talking about. It's not an onslaught against our Motherland, but the odds are heavily stacked against anything perceived as the norm. How/ Why would someone like IBB come out to contest elections? (This is digressing) but at the end of the day it boils down to how the Country will eventually be run. There are millions of Nigerians who want things done the right way, the 'establishment' is dead set against it. People talk about the citizens not playing their own parts, I beg to disagree. NEPA/PHCN bills get paid and no light. Is it the responsibility of the consumer to ensure power is routed to his/her house?

Take Lagos state for example, BRF ( Babatuunde Raji Fashola) has done quite a bit for his state, yes, sure why should he be praised it was what he was elected to do in the first place, but lets not forget it's NIGERIA we are talking about. It takes a certain level of moral conscience to step up to the plate and say no to the Nigerian norm. Going round other States of the federation, you'll see that other Governors are now forced to sit up and at 'least' do what is meant to be done.

Accountability? Who is accountable to whom in the sysytem that is run in Nigeria? All this said and done, we come back to adopted Countries of those in Diaspora, people made sacrifices and LAWS that are obeyed to get to where they are today. The race card, should't be used all the time about people not progressing over a certain level because they are green, red or blue. And even if this play (s) (ed) out, na their Country.

There are two sides to a coin, there are pros and cons to situations, so whichever pays one is quite ok.

P.s the comments on Rwanda, mali, etc perceived as lesser than Nigeria is questionable. Been to some African Countries and believe me, you'd cry for our Country. Good roads, law and order, bribe ke? no way. Some will postulate our population, but what's that got to do with it? Has it really got to do with the entity called Nigeria itself or WE the Nigerians??
strong points.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by ikeyman00(m): 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@

suedo
But so far, i'm here and decide to give back to where i reap from. let those who stole our money start by been a good example then the rest will follow suit.

this is what i hold against IBB

this man u go and drink a tea cup of cement!!!!
period!!
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by suedoh2006(m): 12:48am On Aug 24, 2010
I don pass that level i no longer drink cup of cement i will rather drink a shot of whisky and ice. Don't be mad my guy. tongue
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by tpiah: 3:17am On Aug 24, 2010
At the moment because of the government cuts in the UK, fewer number of university spots are allocated to UK/EU students, you have better shot being from outside the UK, yes having a nigerian passport and applying

you mean the nigerian passport is good for something?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by IykeD1(m): 4:13am On Aug 24, 2010

let me put it to you like this. if you offered every nigerian in britain 2 million pounds in cash, i can bet my last penny that 99.999999999 percent of nigerians will be on the next thing smoking out of england back to nigeria. all that nepa, bad roads, bad schools etc etc na just convenient excuse. the real issue is HEAVY CASH FLOW

Conversely, if you give every Nigerian in Nigeria today a US or UK visa, I can guarantee that you will see the biggest exodus
of mankind! At the end of the day, you will be lucky to find up to 1 million people left in Nigeria.

You are right about the HEAVY CASH FLOW. After all what do you expect from a country where a senator earns about 3 times
the salary of a US President or 5 times the salary of a US senator. Nevertheless, its a safe bet that the world knows the value
of a US President or senator versus that of a Nigerian senator.

Back to the actual topic, its hard for me to see myself returning home when people that I know to be doing well are so eager
to get out if they could - that is live in America why maintaining the same level of their Nigerian CASH FLOW, which may almost
be impossible. Its a sign to me that all is not well in-spite of the HEAVY CASH FLOW. Having said that, Nigeria is not all bad.

Generally, people don't return because they either have young families, or are very uncertain about their jobs or income prospects,
lack of security, non-existent infrastructure, family pressure, fear of failure, etc. To some extent these same reasons apply to those
living in Nigeria today who may be doing well, but who simply want a better living conditions for their families.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 4:48am On Aug 24, 2010
another diaspora bashing
not suffering in oyinbo land,living real good and come home every 8 months
know some nigerians who do too
not into drugs and not into washing dead body
have my own biz and no one dey envy me

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by davidif: 5:36am On Aug 24, 2010
@poster,
Because there is nothing to return home to.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by AngieFan(f): 6:37am On Aug 24, 2010
Nigerians and their 'HEAVY CASH FLOW'! Please tell me what use is a heavy cash flow when the quality of life is dire? The stress of sorting out and paying for every single basic amenity yourself from books for your child because there are no libraries available and making sure the generator is adequately filled with petrol because NEPA will inevitably take the light. . .The list is endless. Yes with a 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' one can buy a decent car but are there decent roads to drive on? And what if one doesn't feel like driving? Is there decent safe public transport to go on? And don't get me started on the amount of time it takes one to travel to work. . .getting up at 4 in the morning to beat the traffic and returning home at 11pm only to repeat the process again the next day. What quality of life is that with your 'HEAVY CASH FLOW?' Then after you live like that you eventually die and are buried without the 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' that you value above all things, BULLSHYT!

I would rather pay my monthly stipend, that is TAXES and enjoy the benefits of a decent stress free life. If my kids need books they can borrow them at the local libraries, if they want to do swim, play tennis or kick a football in a real park there are local amenities provided. They will not have the stress of thinking of if there will be light when they get home. They won't suffer the stress of traveling on potholed roads. If I don't feel like driving to another city because I have work to catch up on do I can easily to get a train equipped with wireless so I can connect and do my work, no stress. I easily go to the Supermarket at 1am in the morning if need be without checki g my back for armed robbers. Yes at the end of the month I may not have as much disposable income but I will have piece of mind and when I eventually die my life would not have been unnecessarily stressful had it been if I lived in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 24, 2010
^^^ Lol @ Angie! cheesy

How're you doing? Still here to ruffle a few feathers, I see. cool
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by symbian03(m): 11:30am On Aug 24, 2010
Nice thread! Think i've read something like this previously on same #land. Nice topic, some people were very polite and sincere at brushing out their feelings. No doubt Nigeria is great but it hurts me to see that things aren't going well. See the most hard working people can't afford 3 good meals per day. The police men are full of shit, a country where you'd be afraid to take out your electronics for repair. I was once stopped by a police officer, showed him my receipt and he still wanna get me to give bribe. Had to laugh couldn't help it, a police officer who was on service and yet his mouth smelt of alcohol ain't that a disgrace?? A country where a police officer says he would worsen case if you don't give him money. A country where people starve for food, no masses welfarism. Our leaders now drives a bullet proof cars coz of being shot. We celebrate 'phcn' as soon as they on the candle light. Major streets roads have turned to lagoon. Now tell me what is good about nigeria? If not for BRF, only God knows what Oshodi would've been like. Those of you who got positive lifestyle in 9ja are only being fortunate. I rest ma case, God bless 9ja
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Vavavoom(m): 2:01pm On Aug 24, 2010
Good debating spirit. subconscioulsy we are at that crossroads when something must give as a people.
Naturally the right to survive and instinctively well takes preceedence with every racenot a black or nigerian thingand people tend towards comfort if available even if expensive. But there's a truth to the other side of the story albeit a Nigerian one, that our land of birth will never be developed by another but us. While we've gone out and progressed our brilliance in hinterlands can only mask our ability to reproduce same success back home for so long. There's a part of every diasporan that seek that change which brings success but the price is steep and wrapped in the fear of the unknown. Like I said we are at that crossraods where we'll have sacrifice to effect change or continue in comfort and our land remain desolate and in the grip of a thieving few. Make we think.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by realnaija(m): 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2010
I would go back to Naija in a shot, but for me and for most of us it's just to expensive.
Forget about Lagos and Abuja which is just way too expensive to rent or buy a house.

Even if you go back to your home state, in my instance Delta, prices are way through the roof, and what business activity can you do to sustain yourself and family? As guaranteed there is Little or no jobs on the ground
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 24, 2010
It's easy to find excuses but a lot of people have made it big in Nigeria and it's not down to luck or connections. It's about having the will power, patience, being hard working and also with the help of God.

People will continue to make it in Nigeria despite all it's problems, same goes for any country in the world.

Maybe some will rather move to Mexico or Colombia where you are likely to get shot by some drug barons.

For people that went abroad, how did they get the money to sponsor them selves in the first place from Nigeria?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by dTouch: 4:49pm On Aug 24, 2010
I believe that at least 95% of Nigerians abroad are incompetent and unskilled folks. They stand for nothing and will fall for anything. They are not employable even at home. That's why they will cite NEPA, Health care and basic amenities as reasons for staying out. Are they better than those in Nigeria. We see them and how they miserably eke out a living abroad. Most can't even afford the fare home. Disgusting. They give us all a bad name.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 24, 2010
Well I won't go as far as saying "95% of Nigerians abroad are incompetent and unskilled folks". However, i do believe that a considerable number of them are as you have described.

I just feel that some want an easy life without having to put in any effort. Truth be told, not all Nigerians abroad are working hard and earning a decent living. [b]Some [/b]talk about whats wrong with Nigeria, yet, I do believe that they are over there illegally and involved in scams as well as all kind of ills.

A lot of people have gone abroad for work experiences and been back to Nigeria. They are not any different, they are neither blind to what's going on in the country. It's all about personal preference as I have earlier stated.

However! Trying to justify you reason by totally disparaging Nigeria ,to me is foolhardy.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by omofat: 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2010
slowly slowly, we're getting to the diaspora bashing side of things. Taking longer than I expected but we'll get there eventually.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by JesusloveU: 5:47pm On Aug 24, 2010
Dtouch,you are completely wrong for saying most of the people abroad are incompetent ,umemployed and can't afford the fare ticket home.Most of us abroad are doing well more than you home based.I think you got no point in your post rather you are being jealous of those abroad.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by omofat: 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2010
^^^ My di.ck is bigger than yours / My daddy is bigger than your daddy !

Anyone still think there's any point to this thread beyond this mutual self loathing ?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 24, 2010
JesusloveU yes he was out of line, but you are totally wrong to suggest that "Most of us abroad are doing well more than you home based"

Comments like that make me cringe. Some people abroad are doing good but not most.

Let's look at the stats, what's the population of Nigeria? What percentage of Nigerians are doing ok in Nigeria? How many Nigerians abroad can honestly say they are doing real good?

In places like Lagos and Abuja you have a lot of people doing better than people in other countries. Are you gonna tell me that all these people are corrupt? What about Dangote? If he had decided to go abroad, will he had made it? I very much doubt that.

I know a family friend in Nigeria whose job involves traveling to countries around the world, he would have decided to stay in the UK and be stuck doing a job which will keep him grounded, but believe me he is doing much much better than most people abroad? I respect him because he has been to many a country, but despite all that and knowing the problems in Nigeria. He tells me that he won't trade it all just to go and live abroad. There are many more like him so it's a bit ignorant of you to make such a baseless comment.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by AngieFan(f): 6:37pm On Aug 24, 2010
Hi Siena! I am well thanks. I trust all is well with you and yours. smiley
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 24, 2010
dTouch:

I believe that at least 95% of Nigerians abroad are incompetent and unskilled folks. They stand for nothing and will fall for anything. They are not employable even at home. That's why they will cite NEPA, Health care and basic amenities as reasons for staying out. Are they better than those in Nigeria. We see them and how they miserably eke out a living abroad. Most can't even afford the fare home. Disgusting. They give us all a bad name.
wow! so much vernom from you makes me wonder how much jealousy is involved.
all my nigerian friends here are doing quite good,own bizs and are not bothered wqith thriffling vibes from people like you
wow! so much vernom
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 24, 2010
AngieFan:

Hi Siena! I am well thanks. I trust all is well with you and yours. smiley

Aye, all good here.  cool

This happened:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-478591.0.html
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 9:20pm On Aug 24, 2010
Iyke-D:

Conversely, if you give every Nigerian in Nigeria today a US or UK visa, I can guarantee that you will see the biggest exodus
of mankind!  At the end of the day, you will be lucky to find up to 1 million people left in Nigeria.

You are right about the HEAVY CASH FLOW. After all what do you expect from a country where a senator earns about 3 times
the salary of a US President or 5 times the salary of a US senator. Nevertheless, its a safe bet that the world knows the value
of a US President or senator versus that of a Nigerian senator.

Back to the actual topic, its hard for me to see myself returning home when people that I know to be doing well are so eager
to get out if they could - that is live in America why maintaining the same level of their Nigerian CASH FLOW, which may almost
be impossible. Its a sign to me that all is not well in-spite of the HEAVY CASH FLOW. Having said that, Nigeria is not all bad. 

Generally, people don't return because they either have young families, or are very uncertain about their jobs or income prospects,
lack of security, non-existent infrastructure, family pressure, fear of failure, etc. To some extent these same reasons apply to those
living in Nigeria today who may be doing well, but who simply want a better living conditions for their families. 
AHHH my brother very unfair and nonparallel comparison  grin the suitable comparison will be if you gave every nigerian 2 million pounds will they still want to go abroad ? i suspect a resounding 'NO' will be the answer.
and with respect to your friends who you say are doing good in nigeria but still want to check out, they fall into 2 categories

1, they are not doing as good as you think they are doing. i know plenty people who are doing well in nigeria. they come to london and america for 3 weeks holiday to chill and shop. they dont nurse aspirations to leave their good life and run abroad to start all over. i think your friends are misrepresenting their situation to you.

2, your friend is still  'starstruck' by america and britain. this is an unfortunate mindset to have because until you realise that dream of living in america, you will never be happy in your life in nigeria no matter how good you are doing. this mindset used to happen alot in the eighties and nineties prior to the proliferation of the internet, youtube, facebook etc. reason being that all your illusions about america are imagined in your head. the fact that you dont see it but imagine it even makes the illusion more enticing. everybody wanted to go to london or america back then. we were all 'starstruck' by america and britain. BUT TO HAVE THAT MINDSET IN 2010 is very pathetic. with youtube and facebook and the internet you can beam yourself into any part of america and see how they actually live. see all the crime, the homelessness, racism, black suffering, black struggle, police brutality, trailer parkliving etc. you can imagine you are in america and just watch it all day. i think your friend is childish if he has it made in naija but still nurses the ambition to travel to america. he is still starstruck.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 9:39pm On Aug 24, 2010
AngieFan:

Nigerians and their 'HEAVY CASH FLOW'! Please tell me what use is a heavy cash flow when the quality of life is dire? The stress of sorting out and paying for every single basic amenity yourself from books for your child because there are no libraries available and making sure the generator is adequately filled with petrol because NEPA will inevitably take the light.  .   .The list is endless. Yes with a 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' one can buy a decent car but are there decent roads to drive on? And what if one doesn't feel like driving? Is there decent safe public transport to go on? And don't get me started on the amount of time it takes one to travel to work.  .  .getting up at 4 in the morning to beat the traffic and returning home at 11pm only to repeat the process again the next day. What quality of life is that with your 'HEAVY CASH FLOW?' Then after you live like that you eventually die and are buried without the 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' that you value above all things, BULLSHYT!

I would rather pay my monthly stipend, that is TAXES and enjoy the benefits of a decent stress free life. If my kids need books they can borrow them at the local libraries, if they want to do swim, play tennis or kick a football in a real park  there are local amenities provided. They will not have the stress of thinking of if there will be light when they get home. They won't suffer the stress of traveling on potholed roads. If I don't feel like driving to another city because I have work to catch up on do I can easily to get a train equipped with wireless so I can connect and do my work, no stress. I easily go to the Supermarket at 1am in the morning if need be without checki g my back for armed robbers. Yes at the end of the month I may not have as much disposable income but I will have piece of mind and when I eventually die my life would not have been unnecessarily stressful had it been if I lived in Nigeria.
all this one you are yarning is bollocks. is it better to be comfortable amongst your people where you are a first class citizen or is it better to be even more comfortable amongst strangers where you are looked down upon ? let your soul be the judge of that not your mouth.

if your kids want to swim ? is it not the same swimming pool in america where when black kids go in, all the white people will run out of it ? abeggggiii
kick a football in the park ?? no be there where stray bullets dey fell many kids wey dey play ?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by dTouch: 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2010
@salamsm, well you got a point about sounding dismissive and i apologize. i must have also touched some raw nerves with some 'expatriate' folks. but do i sound jealous of some of these 'patriotic expatriates'? i have been around, believe me and i know what i'm talking about. i can easily relocate to the uk, us or even dubai but i won't. nigeria is a great country even the way it is. i believe i have a place here and i will raise my kids to have that faith in this great country. every time i see negative stuff from from nigerians about nigeria it riles me. it upsets me. now that you guys understand please bear with my pain.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2010
no probs dTouch, some good points you have highlighted.

Got a buddy who went abroad to study and as soon as he got there, he kept saying the he will never return to Nigeria. A few months down the line, he was looking forward to coming back for the holidays. Now he's eager to get his studies out of the way so he can return to Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Nairalander Needs Advice On Which Country To Relocate To. / Abuja To Reorganize Taxi Ranks, Introduce CNG Buses For Mass Transit / True Cost Of Living In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.