Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (26479 Views)

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Father Mbaka Invokes God's Judgement On Those Who Speak Evil Against Him / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 10, 2019
AllenSpencer:
I speak in tongues when am drunk.

Homeboys always believe am communicating with the brewery
Hahahahaha
NEW GENERATION PENTECOSTALS have succeeded in destroying Christianity.
They have rendered people thinking about the existence of God.
They have become MERCHANTS with Business Associated Everywhere.

Anyway, the BIBLE predicted them, but my concern is “why is NIGERIA now the HEADQUARTERS of FAKE and PONZI PASTORS”..??
I think GOD shouldn’t extend Rapture beyond NIGERIA and SOUTH AFRICA
What do you think....??
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by groovie(m): 11:17am On Feb 10, 2019
apelike1:
THERE ARE TWO TYPE OF TONGUES!
1. SPEAKING IN TONGUE (LANGUAGE OUTTA THIS EARTH. AND

2. SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES (LIKE SPEAKING IN CHINESE I UNDERSTAND NOT BUT MAYBE THE PEOPLE AROUND ME IN THE CHURCH CAN UNDERSTAND CHINESE MIGHT INTERPRET IT)

YOUR BRAIN IS IN CAP LOCKS MODE SO YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND THE THINGS OF THE SPIRIT

Good one. Please no insults
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by dguyindcorner(m): 11:19am On Feb 10, 2019
princetom1:

U can do better, support ur arguments with Bible verses... Because he has made the most valid point which can be found in the Bible so far...

Don't forget, God allowed the Bible to be the most circulated, most read and most translated into other languages, why then will u say u are speaking a language with God that no one understands? Wen in reality, U can pray in ur own language and God understands and not for once did anyone in the Bible speak any language nobody else understands

If you're a good Bible student, you will have found more than 3 verses in my comment.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by groovie(m): 11:19am On Feb 10, 2019
15ssDRIVE:
No one was more charismatic than Paul, yet the Lord revealed to him that those sign gifts were going to cease:

“whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away” (1 Cor. 13:cool. 1

Here Paul writes of the gift of tongues, the gift of prophecy and the gift of knowledge (see 1 Cor. 13:1-2) and states that the Lord Jesus had revealed to him (1 Cor. 11:23; 15:3; Gal. 1:11,12) that a time was coming when these sign gifts were going to cease to operate.

Friend, you have quoted the bible out of context. Please get the book; tongues beyond the upper room by Kenneth Hagin. It will educate you better
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by ObaKlaz: 11:21am On Feb 10, 2019
REREBOSKHALIDZAMORASIKIRATUSINDODO! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by nkemjacob2(m): 11:23am On Feb 10, 2019
90% of people who speaks in tongues this days fake it
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by apelike1: 11:23am On Feb 10, 2019
DipoAy:
This is actually one topic that I have always wanted closure on but nobody has been able to provide for me.. When I am in church and I happen to be beside someone that 'speaks in tongues' it makes me feel inferior. Like I am a sinner. I am a cherubim and seraphim member. In my church, worship must have gone deep before people start going into trance, Buh when I am in my fellowship in school, just a simple let close ours and ask God for ....... I would have started hearing all manners of tongues. And worship hasn't even started yet. I am not attacking anything or anybody. Just saying what has been on my mind. Whoever is more knowledgeable should please provide better answers
you shouldn't be wary! Tongues is for the edification of the members for who can interpret it but if no one can interpret it, is as good as talking nonsense!

Many Nigeria Churches got it wrong and misleading others!

Prayer is not about speaking in tongues or hitting your head in the ground for answer, prayer is about communication with God or rather your personal daily life with God!

Tongues is of little significance
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by mamotalk: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2019
Bible validates it

But too much of adulteration in Nigeria
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by budusky05(m): 11:25am On Feb 10, 2019
Fake it
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Muna1991(f): 11:25am On Feb 10, 2019
The Bible was not written by men but by de holy spirit and many them were not born in de same century...some were born centuries apart but still de Bible corresponds
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by dguyindcorner(m): 11:27am On Feb 10, 2019
BluntBoy:

Provide the whole verse.

Misconceptions like yours are what you get when you read the Bible selectively.

You already think that it is a good thing to edify oneself at the expense of the church abi? grin

New International Version
Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.

New Living Translation
A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.

English Standard Version
The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.

Berean Study Bible
The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.

So what's your point or you just want to argue for nothing?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 11:27am On Feb 10, 2019
dguyindcorner:
You neither fake it nor understand it. You're speaking to God, only him understands.
Good morning, it's not only God who understands speaking in tongues. In the bible when the disciples were speaking in tongues, some people understands because it was their language. When you speak in tongue, you speak others' language, might be French, Spanish, Hangul or anything. You don't understand simply because it's not your language but theirs. If those people are opportune to be present then, they would understand because it's their language.

The same way someone over there might speak our language(Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo or the minor ones) when speaking in tongue and won't understand because it's not their language and we would understand if we are opportune to be there because it's our language. So speaking in tongue isn't gibberish

And the funniest thing about speaking in tongue is when you speak in tongue, you might not be praying for yourself, you might be praying for someone out there in the world who needs the prayer at that moment. That's why most times you would be like I don't know how this problem got solved, it might be someone somewhere who doesn't even know you that prayed for you without even knowing he or she did.
So speaking in tongue is an indirect way of being a blessing to others

5 Likes

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by dguyindcorner(m): 11:28am On Feb 10, 2019
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by wiseman1494(m): 11:28am On Feb 10, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU CAN'T TELL IF IT'S REAL OR FAKE, BUT YET, "YOU BELIEVE"??
WHAT DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE?

WHY THE MEN WHO SPOKE IN TONGUES IN THE BIBLE SPOKE DIFFERENT "TONGUES" UNDERSTOOD BY HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, WHILE TODAY, THE EXCUSE FOR PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING YOUR GIBBERISH SPEAKING IN TONGUE IS THAT ONLY GOD UNDERSTANDS IT? HAHAHA.. grin
There's a difference between 'speaking in tongues' and speaking in 'others tongues'
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by GenSpecifics: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2019
[s]
dguyindcorner:
You neither fake it nor understand it. You're speaking to God, only him understands.
[/s]

The apostles who spoke in tongues prophesised in foreign tongues or languages.

The city of Antioch was a highly cosmopolitan city with different Nationals.

The apostles preached in the tongue of the Greek, Assyrian, Arab, etc.

The nonsense gibberish these fake pastors are fond of spewing is not the same as that recorded in the Bible

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by apelike1: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2019
Muna1991:
The Bible was not written by men but by de holy spirit and many them were not born in de same century...some were born centuries apart but still de Bible corresponds
stop misleading!

The Bible was written by men but with the holy Spirit inspiration

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by akdjr(m): 11:30am On Feb 10, 2019
Pure rubbish!. If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.” 1 Corinthians 14:26-27. Have you ever seen any church where speaking in tongue is interpreted?

6 Likes

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 10, 2019
They mostly don't understand it but some may be faking it if not most.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by franklingud(m): 11:32am On Feb 10, 2019
Fakeness everywhere

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Originalsly: 11:34am On Feb 10, 2019
Tundexxy:

Through speaking in tongues, you can pray out the plan of God for your life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Be saved

Some speak in tongues....now this one decides to write in tongues. Abeg.... explain the above.... I just need evidence to show people who speak or write in tongues don't know what they are saying or writing...let alone others who are listening or reading.
Feel free to pretend you didn't read this.

@ topic. To those defending speaking in tongues..... two simple questions....
1. Did the Bible say if one speaks in tongues and there is no interpreter he should be quiet/stop? (Yes/No)

2. When speaking in tongues while praying in church.... does anyone interpret? (Yes/No)
Tongue speakers can also feel free to pretend not to read this.

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Truefaith: 11:38am On Feb 10, 2019
A N50,000 CHALLENGE

Here is a N50,000 challenge: send to me the names and addresses of any 5 people that you know that speak in 'Tongues' recognized by the Bible.

Your submissions MUST be native Yoruba, Igbo, Effik, Nupe, Hausa, Chinese, English, French, Spanish (any language) speakers who, suddenly, without any schooling, start speaking fluently any other language as a result of any church activity.

There are basically only two groups that deceive themselves on speaking in tongues: (1) the totally fake; and, (2) the demonically possessed.

Read Acts 2:5-11

PENTECOSTALISM WAS SET UP BY PSYCHICS AND PEOPLE WHO TALKED WITH THE DEAD: OCCULT PEOPLE. That is where they get their fake 'tongues' and other doctrines from.

THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/2016/10/12/tongues-and-snake-oil-salesmen/
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 11:40am On Feb 10, 2019
ElsonMorali:
It is always faked. They believe that when you speak in tongues (read gibberish) that you are advancing spiritually.

That's utterly laughable.

The disciples of Christ according to the bible spoke in tongues. I.e, they spoke their own language and others who didn't understand Aramaic (the language Jesus spoke when he was on earth) heard them in their own different tongues.
It is not always fake, but yes speaking in tongue can be faked.

Speaking in tongue is a gift of the spirit, so is interpretation. Some people receive the gift of speaking in tongue, some interpretation, some teaching, some discerning spirit. So because you don't speak in tongue doesn't mean you won't make heaven, it doesn't make you a sinner and it doesn't mean God loves you less. Different gifts for different people.

But some people fake it, yes because they feel not speaking in tongue makes them inferior, so they fake it or learn it. But there's always a different. Cos people who learn it actually when speaking it, would keep repeating the same word and won't flow like those who do not.

Again, it can't be controlled when you are in the spirit because it's not you who is speaking but the holy spirit is the one giving you utterances.

Like Jesus said that in the last days, many would perform wonders in his name but won't be recognised by him because they didn't get their power from him, so also is speaking in tongue, many would speak in tongue and won't be recognised by God because the spirit didn't give th utterances.

We only need to pray for the gift of discerning spirit so as to be able to tell the fake from the real

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by vivienD: 11:40am On Feb 10, 2019
I have been trying to speak in tongues,my pastor prays for me and I also do my own personal prayer.. recently i have this feeling inside of me to say something in another language but when i say it the words that comes out looks like am saying rubbish..i am beginning to feel it's not for everyone including me.. Pls i want a strong believer of the gospel to answer this question:is speaking in tongues for everyone?

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by donkossy(m): 11:40am On Feb 10, 2019
Like, if you are here to read comments

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Ayatullah(m): 11:40am On Feb 10, 2019
akdjr:
Pure rubbish!. If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.” 1 Corinthians 14:26-27. Have you ever seen any church where speaking in tongue is interpreted?

Thank you so much for your sincere and excellent contribution to this topic. It baffles me a lot when adults and highly educated Nigerians gather in a church and meaningless words are spoken without them remembering Corinthians14:26-27

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by firstolalekan(m): 11:42am On Feb 10, 2019
dguyindcorner:
Keep fooling yourself
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Itzurboi(m): 11:43am On Feb 10, 2019
dirtydiva:
speaking in tongue is a spiritual language, but our people now use it to do ojoro just to deceive gullible church members. You must attain spiritual perfection first before indulging in such language, as one of the prayer warriors in my church(charismatic) once told me that how you prepare your spirit will determine your communication with spirit (God). Remember you can only communicate with your God through thy spirit and that is their only language sister.
So i can't communicate God again except through speaking in tongue.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 11:45am On Feb 10, 2019
Originalsly:

Some speak in tongues....now this one decides to write in tongues. Abeg.... explain the above.... I just need evidence to show people who speak or write in tongues don't know what they are saying or writing...let alone others who are listening or reading.
Feel free to pretend you didn't read this.

@ topic. To those defending speaking in tongues..... two simple questions....
1. Did the Bible say if one speaks in tongues and there is no interpreter he should be quiet/stop? (Yes/No)

2. When speaking in tongues while praying in church.... does anyone interpret? (Yes/No)
Tongue speakers can also feel free to pretend not to read this.

To your first question, "NO"

I quote someone up there, speaking in tongue doesn't necessarily mean you are praying for yourself, you might be praying for someone out there in the world who needs that prayer at that particular moment, praying I'm some. people's language which if those people are present, they would understand just like in the bible.

Your second question. "YES"

It might not be always, but yes there are interpreters and again the person who speaks in tongue might interprets the message him or herself, it depends on how the spirit is working

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by ObaKlaz: 11:46am On Feb 10, 2019
Truefaith:
[b]A N50,000 CHALLENGE

Here is a N50,000 challenge: send to me the names and addresses of any 5 people that you know that speak in 'Tongues' recognized by the Bible.

Your submissions MUST be native Yoruba, Igbo, Effik, Nupe, Hausa, Chinese, English, French, Spanish (any language) speakers who, suddenly, without any schooling, start speaking fluently any other language as a result of any church activity.
They are busy, 'edifying themselves' with 'unknown tongues'. Your 50 Grand is safe, bro.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by uboma(m): 11:48am On Feb 10, 2019
dguyindcorner:

Why have you chosen to be led astray?

When the apostles of Jesus Christ spoke in tongues after his ascension to heaven, were there not people from other nations and tribes other than Israel, who understood the sermons of God in their various dialects?

So why is it that during our time, it is only God who understands the gibberish uttered all in the name of speaking in tongues?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 11:48am On Feb 10, 2019
vivienD:
I have been trying to speak in tongues,my pastor prays for me and I also do my own personal prayer.. recently i have this feeling inside of me to say something in another language but when i say it the words that comes out looks like am saying rubbish..i am beginning to feel it's not for everyone including me.. Pls i want a strong believer of the gospel to answer this question:is speaking in tongues for everyone?

Yes, if you thirst for it, you will have it. But you must have the thirst for it, the reason you need it. No because you feel inferior to those speaking it, not because you want to show off

And when you feel the urge to speak another language, do so. It's not rubbish, it's another language entirely. You might not understand but someone in the world does. Just as you are connecting with heaven, you are also touching someone's life out there in the world.

Do not kill the gift in you, build it

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by goodnewscliff(m): 11:51am On Feb 10, 2019
SmithRussell:
Interesting talk. . I believe in speaking in tongues; whether people fake it or not is what I can't tell
no sense angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Malawi President Joyce Banda In Tb Joshua's Church Now... / No PVC, No Mass: Catholic Priest Denies Members Without PVCs Entry To Church / Christian Music And Gospel Music: Understanding The Difference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.