Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:22 PM

‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor (911 Views)

Petrol Tanker Caught Fire In Osun / Photos : Thugs Who Tried To Snatch Ballot Boxes At Amuwo Odofin Arrested / Femi Akinsanya Walked-out Of Wrecked Plane Before It Caught Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor by oludashmi(f): 10:17am On Aug 23, 2010
Swathe in bandage, one of the survivors of the Shangisha Bridge, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway accident in which scores died, relives her ordeal on her hospital bed, reports Wale Adepoju

The lay on her bed writhing in pains. Her moans drew sympathy from other patients and visitors in her ward. She was heavily bandaged. Only her head and face were not bandaged. What happened to her? First time visitors to the ward, asked in whispers.

Mrs Folake Yahaya, however, seemed oblivious of what was going on around her. She never knew she would end up in an hospital when she set out for Lagos from Ondo penultimate week.

Her mission to Lagos was simple: to buy aso ebi (uniform attire) for the funeral of her late father. Everything went well up till last Sunday morning when she boarded a vehicle at Ojota Motor Park for the return trip to Ondo, her base where she sells clothing materials. Few minutes after the vehicle took off, it was involved in an accident in which over 40 persons were reported to have died. The scene was Shangisha Bridge on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. But for luck, Mrs. Yahaya, mother of two, would have joined her late father.

The fair-skinned woman is at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi Araba, where she relived her ordeal to The Nation.

Mrs Yahaya said: "The lorry climbed over our bus and a man who sat beside the driver jumped out through the window. I tried to do the same through the door but it was difficult. So, I threw myself down through the widow but the ‘weave on’ I attached to my hair caught fire.

"I had to jump over another car with fire all over me, until Mr. Lukman, a Good Samaritan, came to my rescue. I was taken to Sky High, a hospital at Magodo not far from the scene of the accident where I was given first aid before I was transferred to LUTH. I have been here since Sunday night. I gave my mother’s cell phone number to Mr. Lukman, who called her".

In her condition, she cut a pitiable sight. Mrs Yahaya is unable to change her position or move her body. She could neither feed nor urinate on her own. She lamented: "Look at me, I have to rely on people before I could even urinate. It is really a shame but it is nobody’s fault."

Her brother, Mr. Bankole Ogunode, who saw her off to the motor park, was still in shock. He said: "When I got the distress call, it knocked me off balance. I couldn’t believe my ears. The only thing I did was to pray and wait on God for a miracle. Thank God she is still alive though in serious pains as she lies on her bed in the same position since Monday. "

Though Mrs Yahaya is alive, her condition has dug a big hole in the family’s finance. "When they took my sister to the hospital at Magodo, the only thing they gave her was first aid treatment. "We paid N10, 000 because it was an emergency situation. Life is worth more than money. We have spent over N200, 000 for her treatment here in LUTH. Now we have just been told to go and have her blood samples tested. The doctor attending to her said it must be done today. What happens if we can not get the money?" Ogunode asked.

To worsen matters, the survivor is the bread winner of her family. "My sister is the bread winner of her family. She is currently sponsoring the education of her children-Biola and Bose. Biola is a pupil of the Nigerian Military School, Zaria, Kaduna State; Bose is in primary five. She is schooling in Ondo State."

Doctors said his condition is stable.

Mrs Yahaya is appealing to the Federal and state governments to assist her financially. "My family and me cannot bear the financial burden. We have spent much and we are still spending daily. They (Federal and state governments should please come to my aid", Mrs Yahaya pleaded.

Meanwhile, a 26- year-old student lawyer, Mr. Adebayo Ologunti, who was believed to be in one of the vehicles that caught fire, has been declared missing by his family.

Ologunti, who is currently in the Nigerian Law School, Abuja, was reported to have attended a church programme at the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

He left the event to visit his younger sister in Lagos. But since he left his younger sister on Sunday morning for Ondo, his mobile phone has remained switched off.

His name was found on a bus manifest in Ojota motor park by his family, fuelling suspicion that he might have been a victim of the accident.

Ologunti’s elder sister, Moji is terrified that something might have happened to her brother, who she described as the pride of the family.
http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/10660.html
Re: ‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor by oludashmi(f): 10:45am On Aug 23, 2010
Very pathetic embarassed but I think the state government should have supported this people financially. I am sure those ones missing are among the burnt beyond recognition embarassed embarassed
Many women would have lost their lives too as a result of their weave-on notwithstanding even a cloth will catch fire not until you wear weave-on.

May God give their families the heart to bear it just as God will not fail to punish all the policemen involved from generation to generation afterall Frank Mba is always covering them.
Re: ‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor by wales(m): 10:49am On Aug 23, 2010
May the good Lord be with us all. Amen.
Re: ‘i Tried To Jump: But My Weave-on Caught Fire’ - Survivor by philip0906(m): 11:10am On Aug 23, 2010
So, I threw myself down through the widow but the ‘weave on’ I attached to my hair caught fire.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Fayemi Declare As The Governor Elect In Ekiti / What Is Good About Nigeria? / Fox News Exposes Obama As Indian Not Kenyan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.