Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Yorubas Back Uncle Joe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Back Uncle Joe (5445 Views)

How Uncle Joe Celebrated His Birthday / Dear Uncle Joe, An Open Letter To President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. / North Gives Uncle Joe The Greenlight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:22am On Aug 25, 2010
Afenifere leader, South West PDP back Jonathan

By Gbenga Olarinoye, Dayo Johnson, Ola  Ajayi &  Dapo Akinrefon
IBADAN—AHEAD of Saturday’s meeting of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the South West, to take a common position on whether to support President Goodluck Jonathan in 2011, some leaders of the zone, yesterday, threw their weight behind the President’s ambition.
Former Governor of the old Oyo State, Dr Omololu Olunloyo, and Afenifere leader, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, endorsed the President’s ambition while founder of Odua Peoples Congress, OPC, Dr. Fredrick Faseun, however, urged Jonathan to look before he leaps.
PDP National Vice Chairman, South West, Alhaji Tajudeen Oladipo, said the zone would formally take a position on the issue, weekend.
Olunloyo told Vanguard that the best way to compensate the shortchanged people of Niger Delta was to allow President Goodluck Jonathan to contest and win 2011 election.
He said it would be quite unfair to deny Jonathan who is the representative of the people of the South-South to rule this country in 2011 after ruining their land through exploration of oil.
Olunloyo added: “A lot of people who are making hullabaloo about zoning are rich people whose riches cannot be traced to groundnut but oil which they got from the region. And for these  people to come round now and say no, would spell doom for the country.”
He reminded them not to forget the insurgence that the country witnessed in the past, stressing that it would be more disastrous to deprive them of their rights as Nigerians.
The former governor said: “Jonathan is a Nigerian and he is entitled to contest the election. He is already a substantive President, not by election, but through a joint ticket. If he now wants to come in through election, it is absolutely normal. Before now, three zones have been producing presidents and heads of state. And a zone believes it is always entitled to the throne.
“Somebody comes from the Niger Delta which you people have ravaged. You ruined their land by burning gases, and everything becomes poisoned. In the name of God, Ken Saro Wiwa, Asari Dokubo, let power shift to the Niger Delta. Power has even shifted and let it remain like that.

“Out of the three zones, a zone has produced President, Head of State who had spent nine and 11 years. They cannot be saying it is their turn again. Let us leave the zone which had not been there before. Jonathan is not representing himself but the people from the South South. Anybody who has conscience should know that power should shift to the Niger Delta.”
Also speaking, Chief Fasoranti, said that nobody should prevent President Jonathan from contesting the election as it was his right to complete the terms of the late President Umar Yar’ Adua.
He said: “President Jonathan is entitled to contest. I do not believe in this zoning arrangement it would not produce the best for the country. President Jonathan is entitled to his ambition. He is a citizen of this country and nobody should deprive him of his right to contest.
“Nigerians should support him so that he completes the terms of the late President. If we say zoning, this would shut out the best candidate and would not produce the best for the country. Other presidential candidates also have the right to contest against him. But nobody should say he should not contest. It is his right, and all these controversies are distractions.”
Asked if the socio-political group he leads supported his stand, Chief Fasoranti said he was speaking for himself but that the opinion of the group was not different from his.
Founder of Odua Peoples Congress, OPC, Dr. Fredrick Faseun urged Jonathan to look before he leaps
Fasoranti who said that the issue of zoning was the internal arrangement of the PDP, however, explained that the party should not make its internal problem that of the entire country.
On the ambition of the likes of Ibrahim Babangida, Atiku Abubakar and Muhammadu Buhari, the Afenifere leader said that he had nothing against them but that IBB and Atiku should forget their ambitions.
He said he was wondering what IBB was still looking for after leading the country for two terms adding that age was not on his side.

On Atiku, Fasoranti said he was surrounded by an hazy circumstances following his jumping from one party to the other in recent times. He advised Atiku to stay away from the race and allow others.
He advised Buhari to “try his luck.”
Fasoranti said the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, should be given a chance and allowed to carry out it duties as specified by the law and that they should given all it needed to conduct a free and fair elections next year.
On his part, Fasheun advised President Jonathan to assess his chances before declaring his interest, adding: “Jonathan has to study the ground before he puts out his neck. I think that is what he’s doing. He has to get the opinion of Nigerian leaders from all political zones and if the coast is clear, he will declare and if the coast is not clear, I think he will just serve and say thank you. The decision is entirely his, it’s not an advisory thing, nobody can advise him to contest and nobody can advise him not to contest.”
Meanwhile, the South West zone of PDP has said it would meet to take official stand on the contending issue relating to zoning arrangement of the party ahead of the 2011 general elections.
National Vice Chairman, South West, of the party, Alhaji Tajudeen Oladipo in a telephone interview with Vanguard in Osogbo said the zone would come out with its position on the issue.
He said it took the zone long time before it could make its position known on the issue because it had all this while been consulting with stakeholders in the party and eminent personalities in Yoruba land.
Oladipo said the zone did not make known its position on the issue because it would not like to rush into taking or making any pronouncement on the zoning arrangement of the party, despite the fact that some zones in the country have taken position on the issue.
He said: “The party in the South West would, on Saturday, make known our position on President Jonathan as regards the 2011 presidential election. Our position is coming after due consultations with the leadership and followership of the party in the six states of the zone as well as opinion leaders.
“All stakeholders in the South West geo-political zone were consulted where we deliberated on whether or not the zoning arrangement should stand. The wish of our members will prevail at the end of the day.”
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:25am On Aug 25, 2010
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 25, 2010
As long as he has our vote, ko si wahala. tongue baba ti wole tan ni yen

YORUBA; Wonderful people, Great nation.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by EzeUche22(m): 5:35am On Aug 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Nobody: 5:36am On Aug 25, 2010
There will never be another chance for IBB ,Its pay back time.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by EzeUche22(m): 5:37am On Aug 25, 2010
olas2u:

Not yet.

Goodluck has to get support from the Igbo and the North. Well we know the north is not supporting him so it is up to the Igbo.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 25, 2010
EzeUche22:

If you need to get tribal, don't quote. I don't hve the time of day for that.

Anywaz, goodluck ride o sweety. My God, eledumare mi, eleda mii, a sin e leyin. Ashe!!!!!!
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by EzeUche22(m): 5:41am On Aug 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

If you need to get tribal, don't quote. I don't hve the time of day for that.

When did mean to get tribal?
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:43am On Aug 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

As long as he has our vote, ko si wahala.  tongue baba ti wole tan ni yen

Good Talk Ileke-Idi, one good thing about Yoruba Nation is that they always tread on the path of justice, truth and equity.  Their conscience always guide them not Ghana must go.   A tribe in Nigeria like ghana must go .Other tribes should start emulating that.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by EzeUche22(m): 5:45am On Aug 25, 2010
No one wants to emulate you Yoruba.

Truth and justice my arse! angry

Backstabbing & Betrayal is the accurate words to describe the Yoruba nation.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Nobody: 5:47am On Aug 25, 2010
supereagle:

Good Talk Ileke-Idi, one good thing about Yoruba Nation is that they always tread on the path of justice, truth and equity.  Their conscience always guide them not Ghana must go.   A tribe in Nigeria like ghana must go .Other tribes should start emulating that.
Otito lo so jare. Sugbon sweety, let's try to take it slow. Sensitive ppl dey on nl o.
IBB must not win. He will not lead my people. Ashe!!!!

EzeUche22:

When did   mean to get tribal?
Lol okay o.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:50am On Aug 25, 2010
Eze Uche22, please help tell Ohaneze Ndi Igbo to follow the path of Yoruba. ojukwu is the arrow head of IBB in the south east now.
God has zoned the power to the South south, let it remain there.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:55am On Aug 25, 2010
EzeUche22:

No one wants to emulate you Yoruba.

Truth and justice my arse! angry

Backstabbing & Betrayal is the accurate words to describe the Yoruba nation.

Yoruba always stand by what they say, you will never see them make hasty decisions and when they talk , they stand by it. They will not turn after "Ghana Must Go" aka" Ego "
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by chyz(m): 6:48am On Aug 25, 2010
supereagle:

Eze Uche22, please help tell Ohaneze Ndi Igbo to follow the path of Yoruba. ojukwu is the arrow head of IBB in the south east now.
God has zoned the power to the South south, let it remain there.

Ojukwu will be present at the next ohanaeze meeting for the true announcing of who the Igbos will support. It may be IBB, it may be GEJ. True God has zone power to south south but God also appoints terms as he does everyones life meaning come 2011 GEJ's term may be up.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by kettykings: 7:13am On Aug 25, 2010
My candid advice to GEJ " be very careful" remember the words " if the east is allowed to seccede by ommission or commission the west will seccede"

What happened to the support that the yorubas gave to Abiola , where is Abiola today, what of the support yorubas gave to Awolowo , did it amount to anything, Awolowo would have still being in prison today if Nzeogwu didn't strike.

What happened to charles taylor that was given amnesty by OBJ.
Remember Adaka boro' death, Saro Wiwa's death and the betrayal of the civil war by Banjo at Ore.

GEJ , support from yorubas or no support be careful of this backstabbers , betrayal runs deep in their blood.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by excanny: 8:24am On Aug 25, 2010
When OBJ ruled undisturbed for 8 years there was nothing like 'Yoruba stands for justice' crap.

I dont get it. You know it's a northern tenure. Why do you people want to thwart justice.

Honestly, i dont understand Yoruba's system of politics.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 8:49am On Aug 25, 2010
excanny:

When OBJ ruled undisturbed for 8 years there was nothing like 'Yoruba stands for justice' crap.

I dont get it. You know it's a northern tenure. Why do you people want to thwart justice.

Honestly, i dont understand Yoruba's system of politics.

Correction; it is a Northern tenure for the PDP Party . That arrangement is not binding on the entire Yoruba ethnic group. Don't start insulting Yoruba people because of some article written on fraudulent premises that speaks falsely on behalf of Yoruba people. All these stories of the "backing" Jonathan enjoys are based on the supports of State Governors . With 4 PDP Governors in the SW , all controlled more or less by OBJ , it would seem as if "Yorubas back Uncle Joe" but we will see what will happen when the candidates declare and start campaigning.  Don't forget that the Yoruba people unanimously rejected OBJ in 1999 !!! We remain his biggest ctirc today. He is no hero in our region. How can he be when , with all he has done in the past , he used his last Presidency to leave a legacy of imposing ruinous criminals everywhere?

I believe the Yorubas are ready to defend their votes because the region has particularly suffered from the impositions of OBJ. Jonathan wants to be a PDP President.  The PDP has done nada in the SW in terms of Governance. All PDP Governors in the region are extremely poor. How can the Yorubas back Jonathan when all candidates have not declared their intentions and campaigning has not even started? It is articles like these that make me realise that the political establishment in Nigeria is entirely comfortable with rigging. In free and fair elections, PDP Governors in the SW cannot deliver their State for Jonathan especially because those Governors are the epitome of corruption, indolence and misrule.

A popular Nigerian Presidential candidate , planning to depose the PDP, will find it easy to get the region behind him because of how , coupled with a fair degree of political awareness, the Yoruba people are totally fed up of the PDP. It is commonsense that they will listen to voices like those of Governor Fashola and other respected Yoruba leaders. It is only Ekiti-style rigging that will 'win' the SW States for Jonathan.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by naso2(m): 9:13am On Aug 25, 2010
Gbawe:

Correction; it is a Northern tenure for the PDP Party . That arrangement is not binding on the entire Yoruba ethnic group. Don't start insulting Yoruba people because of some article written on fraudulent premises that speaks falsely on behalf of Yoruba people. All these stories of the "backing" Jonathan enjoys are based on the supports of State Governors . With 4 PDP Governors in the SW , all controlled more or less by OBJ , it would seem as if "Yorubas back Uncle Joe" but we will see what will happen when the candidates declare and start campaigning. Don't forget that the Yoruba people [b]unanimously rejected OBJ in 1999 !!! [/b] We remain his biggest ctirc today. He is no hero in our region. How can he be when , with all he has done in the past , he used his last Presidency to leave a legacy of imposing ruinous criminals everywhere?

I believe the Yorubas are ready to defend their votes because the region has particularly suffered from the impositions of OBJ. Jonathan wants to be a PDP President. The PDP has done nada in the SW in terms of Governance. All PDP Governors in the region are extremely poor. How can the Yorubas back Jonathan when all candidates have not declared their intentions and campaigning has not even started? It is articles like these that make me realise that the political establishment in Nigeria is entirely comfortable with rigging. In free and fair elections, PDP Governors in the SW cannot deliver their State for Jonathan especially because those Governors are the epitome of corruption, indolence and misrule.

A popular Nigerian Presidential candidate , planning to depose the PDP, will find it easy to get the region behind him because of how , coupled with a fair degree of political awareness, the Yoruba people are totally fed up of the PDP. It is commonsense that they will listen to voices like those of Governor Fashola and other respected Yoruba leaders. It is only Ekiti-style rigging that will 'win' the SW States for Jonathan.

Gbawe and his bunch of half-truths. Ok tell me what happened in 2003 between OBJ and yorubas?
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 9:38am On Aug 25, 2010
na_so:

Gbawe and his bunch of half-truths. Ok tell me what happened in 2003 between OBJ and yorubas?

Even as he was initially unwanted, OBJ consolidated power enough to gain the support of regressive Yoruba elements. If you are then attempting to state that the Yorubas were unanimously behind him in 2003 then you are wrong. Don't forget that the likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Soyinka et al never became OBJ supporters. It was Gangsters like Adedibu who were solidly behing OBJ. They helped him to rig in ruinous hands everywhere to the chagrin of most Yoruba folks in 2003 ad 2007.

Jonathan will only 'win in the SW region, against better choices , through rigging. When the only Governor performing superlatively in the SW is from the AC Party , while the other Governors are PDP Governors who have run their State into the ground, we are to believe that "Yorubas back Uncle Joe"? Ekiti is a taste of what is to come . The Yorubas are fed up of the PDP period !!! I hope Jonathan does not set Nigeria on fire by letting himself to be used by callous election riggers (OBJ, Anenih, et al) who always 'damn the consequences' of their unjust actions because of the inordinate greed for money and power.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Ofemmanu: 9:47am On Aug 25, 2010
This is a barefaced grand deceit being propagated by GEJ's camp. . . . Even a lay man knows that ACN, and not PDP, will sweep the SouthWest in the upcoming general election.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by naso2(m): 9:52am On Aug 25, 2010
Gbawe:

Even as he was initially unwanted, OBJ consolidated power enough to gain the support of regressive Yoruba elements. If you are then attempting to state that the Yorubas were unanimously behind him in 2003 then you are wrong. Don't forget that the likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Soyinka et al never became OBJ supporters. It was Gangsters like Adedibu who were solidly behing OBJ. They helped him to rig in ruinous hands everywhere to the chagrin of most Yoruba folks in 2003 ad 2007.

Jonathan will only 'win in the SW region, against better choices , through rigging. When the only Governor performing superlatively in the SW is from the AC Party , while the other Governors are PDP Governors who have run their State into the ground, we are to believe that "Yorubas back Uncle Joe"? Ekiti is a taste of what is to come . The Yorubas are fed up of the PDP period !!! I hope Jonathan does not set Nigeria on fire by letting himself to be used by callous election riggers (OBJ, Anenih, et al) who always 'damn the consequences' of their unjust actions because of the inordinate greed for money and power.

I think your aversion to GEJ presidency is not enough reason to conjure up tales. You are being too desperate here I must confess.
So when asked to bring up names of yoruba politicians and elders that direct the course of yorubas politically, the names that come to your prejudiced mind are  Falana,soyinka and Gani? grin grin grin

Did tinubu,Abraham adesanya and all other notable Afenifere and YCE leaders that opposed OBJ in 1999 support him in 2003? Just answer abeg
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 10:03am On Aug 25, 2010
Yoruba:

This is a barefaced grand deceit being propagated by GEJ's camp. . . . Even a lay man knows that ACN, and not PDP, will sweep the SouthWest in the upcoming general election.

Indeed - if elections will be free and fair . The Yorubas are totally fed up of the PDP. It is total regression in every PDP controlled State !!! The animosity towards the Party in the SW region is such that a half decent candidate may not even need to campaign to defeat Jonathan if elections will be free and fair !!!! We saw this in the last high profile election in the SW region i.e the Ekiti Guber. Even GEJ played a 'prominent' role to ensure Ekiti was won at all cost because of the PDP's desperation not to concede more ground in a region that hates it passionately !!! Jonathan will only "sweep" the SW with massive rigging . This time rigging will lead to violence in the SW region. I am personally asking Jonathan to thread carefully.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by MRMoneyE(m): 10:04am On Aug 25, 2010
olas2u:

Yes we are for Jonathan oooooo, OLE IBB, OLE IBB, THIEF IBB, THIEF  IBB, Baba Jonathan Jeun Soke Joooo, Chop up!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 10:18am On Aug 25, 2010
na_so:

I think your aversion to GEJ presidency is not enough reason to conjure up tales. You are being too desperate here I must confess.
So when asked to bring up names of yoruba politicians and elders that direct the course of yorubas politically, the names that come to your prejudiced mind are  Falana,soyinka and Gani? grin grin grin

Did tinubu,Abraham adesanya and all other notable Afenifere and YCE leaders that opposed OBJ in 1999 support him in 2003? Just answer abeg

Tinubu that OBJ had been fighting from , more or less , day one? Any support OBJ enjoyed in 2003 was out of the consideration that the Presidency was zoned to the SW and that OBJ , with the power of incumbency being all powerful back then, would retain the Presidency anyway. Some Yoruba leaders , even if they detested OBJ, contended that it was best to support him with the proviso that OBJ rewarded their backing with certain actions of 'good faith' . As usual , and in line with OBJ's dishonourable character, he never delivered on anything. The region has learnt its lesson now. This is why the SW region , if elections are free and fair , will not be accepting any 'son' of OBJ in 2011.

http://www.ngex.com/news/public/article.php?ArticleID=620

At the beginning of January 2000, the new millenium, Obasanjo, worried and restless, had to write Tinubu a personal note regarding the "rapidly deteriorating security situation" in Lagos State where he (Tinubu) is the governor, and that Tinubu could not afford to let the entire state be overrun by hoodlums led by Adams' OPC faction which is being seen as a threat to the state and national security.

Adams' deadly gang had turned "hubs" like Ketu, Ajegunle, Mushin, Lagos Island and its environs with what one Tunde A. Olowu in a Tell magazine advertorial had called "theatres of war."

Obasanjo, in his threat to use executive powers with "due consultation" of the National Assembly to shut Lagos State's democratic fabric down by declaring an emergency rule, had no idea what was about to happen. He had presumed his threat would move Tinubu to swiftly act.

Tinubu threw back, though, warning OBJ to stop playing nasty politics with OPC, that OPC was not the problem of political instability in the state, and that he should shut up and "get real" with politics of the day. It was a brutal "power show" which eventually had Tinubu smoking with in-your-face attitude to OBJ, that the Yoruba nation would stand behind Adams deadly squad, no matter what.

Before any form of political tussle could erupt, OBJ had already been concerned about what was unfolding and in the event his presidency declares a state of emergency in Lagos or anywhere in the West, that the Yoruba nation would rise to the occasion and bid goodbye to the entrapment called Nigeria.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by naso2(m): 11:47am On Aug 25, 2010
^^^^^^^^
Story, story. I am asking you about 2003 and you are posting a 2000 report. Did lagos vote for OBJ in 2003? or was it just rigged in his favour? if so who did lagosians vote for in the presidential elections of 2003? why did AD not field a presidential candidate in 2003?

U DON DEY MAKE ME VEX SMALL, SMALL
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sjeezy8: 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2010
lol this thread is funny see igbo people and hatorade- they want to support Jonathan now that Afenifere/SW is supporting him.  before they were doing all this kind of shakara AND BEING IBB/ATIKUS BOY BOY- LOL

I have no doubt in my mind people in the SW will vote for Jonathan in 2011- as well as PDP rigging just to make sure that Jonathan wins.

SW people dont like PDP BUT there is no other candidate to support,who else would SW people vote for Buhari, IBB or Atiku, shekarau?

I mean thats Common sense in 2003 there was rigging aswell as support for Obj because it was either vote for Obj,Buhari, or ojukwu LOL- OF COURSE THEY WILL VOTE FOR OBJ!!!

But in 2015 or 2019 should a person like Oshiomole, Fashola, Mimiko, Ribadu, Elrufai, maybe even Saraki- Jonathan will freakin lose aint no doubt about that but 2011 is his year

and everyone stop the bull shiot Yoruba people are no different then any other tribe or Race of people around the world- If they have person from their ethnicity who they believe can lead Nigeria the best out the remaining candidates, they will vote for him. Just like the hausas-fulani voting for Northerners, SS/Ijaw voting for Jonathan- even though militants bombed his house in 2007 , and Just like the Igbos wanting an igbo president, JUST LIKE HOW WHITE AMERICANS GENERALLY VOTE FOR WHITE AMERICANS, CHRISTIANS VOTE FOR CHRISTIANS, AND GENERALLY BLACKS VOTE FOR BLACKS
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Beaf: 1:45pm On Aug 25, 2010
MR Money £:

[size=21pt]Yes we are for Jonathan oooooo, OLE IBB, OLE IBB, THIEF IBB, THIEF IBB, Baba Jonathan Jeun Soke Joooo, Chop up!! grin grin grin grin grin[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Yes o!
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sjeezy8: 1:58pm On Aug 25, 2010
Right now Jonathan is the best candidate out of the Lot and PDP is the only party people are looking at.

ACN- arent even prepared they say Ribadu but I dont think hes contesting, Fashola said No to vp, Oshiomole said No to vp.
Labor party- Donald duke winning is unrealsitic.
Anpp- lol that party is in disarray after Buhari left.
Apga theyre never winning an election in Nigeria- all presidential races were Ojukwu was presidential candidate. LOL

The North is totally confused about what candidate to field, The SW parties are not even really contesting, the SE are not saying anything.

Its clear Jonathan is THE ONLY candidate prepared to run for president in 2011 and is better/safer than all the Northerners who want to contest- even at that Jonathan basically has PDP ticket, Northerners dont even know what political party to contest on against Jonathan/pdp in 2011.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2010
na_so:

^^^^^^^^
Story, story. I am asking you about 2003 and you are posting a 2000 report. Did lagos vote for OBJ in 2003? or was it just rigged in his favour? if so who did lagosians vote for in the presidential elections of 2003? why did AD not field a presidential candidate in 2003?

U DON DEY MAKE ME VEX SMALL, SMALL

And so?

You Jonathan fans are failing , out of desperation, to see what you need to see . As things stand today , and with free and fair elections,  Jonathan[b] will struggle [/b] in the SW region. Not many Yoruba leader worked for OBJ in 2003 because of ideology , principle or a fondness of our former President . OBJ begged them to spare him from the shame of rejection he felt in 1999 . Naturally Yoruba leaders made demands in return . Tinubu was one of those who pragmatically worked for OBJ's ambition , even as he was constantly at war with OBJ (hence the 2000 article) , because he thought he would be in a better position to negotiate politically . I used the example of Falana ,Soyinka to show that Yorubas without political clout (which would be most Yorubas) did not back OBJ . That was the general position of the region . The Yoruba leaders with political influence who supported OBJ did so because of what they thought they would gain in return.

Today things are very different . Tinubu and many of those Yoruba leaders who backed OBJ back then are now aware of his treachery and ingratitude. Most Yoruba folks now want the SW region free of the stranglehold the PDP has on  Yorubaland. Tinubu wil now be working against OBJ while many leaders in the region are now under no obligation (as in 2003) to spare their "son" from humiliation . There is ample motivation for the Yorubas to work against OBJ since everyone has learnt from  how they gave him their support very reluctantly only for OBJ to treacherously do what he does best. He can always appeal to his PDP thuggish Governors but that may not be enough this time.

Take it from me that Tinubu , with OBJ no longer possessing supreme executive powers, will probably have more clout than OBJ in the SW region. Not many leaders liked OBJ passionately in the SW region but they wen't along with his plans while he had executive power he could use vindictively. That is not the case today and "closed door meetings with PDP SW Governors" will not be enough to deliver the SW region to Jonathan IMO. Let us see how things go.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/feb/17/426.html

Williams takes on Tinubu over comments on Obasanjo
Kemi Obasola

A former gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in Lagos State, Chief Funso Williams, has taken on Governor Bola Tinubu for describing President Olusegun Obasanjo as an ingrate.

According to Tinubu, “Rather than Obasanjo pay good for good in respect of efforts made by AD governors of the South West, he was now paying good with ingratitude,” by alleging that the AD rigged the 2003 elections in the state.
Williams said Tinubu could not describe Obasanjo as an ingrate under any circumstances.

He described Tinubu as “the worst ingrate having demonstrated that trait to the Afenifere patriarchs who upturned the 1998 AD primaries to his favour and were later paid back with treachery, taking over the party they founded and later factionalising it to the point of destruction occasioning the search for a new party.”

But the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan, said Tinubu was a critical player in the events that shaped the electoral fortunes of Obasanjo.

According to a statement, it was Tinubu who appealed to Lagosians to vote for the President following Obasanjo’s plea to the South-West governors and the entire Yoruba to save him from rejection in the 2003 elections.

The statement said Tinubu appealed to Lagosians to vote for Obasanjo “following the President’s spirited plea to the South-West governors and indeed the entire Yoruba race to save him from another rejection in the 2003 elections?”

“Where was Femi Fani-Kayode when Tinubu promised the President up to five million votes of Lagosians when the Lagos State Government hosted the President to a reception at the National Stadium in December 2002?”
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sjeezy8: 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2010
^^ Im not a Jonathan or PDP supporter, im just realistic

TINUBU is more popular in the SW BUT Tinubu isnt contesting as president and his party doesnt even have a CLEAR flag bearer, if anything this 2011 election is a give away to Jonathan, but I know this wont happen in the future.

I mean- Who is going to be the flag bearer for acn in 2011? and Dont say Ribadu because he hasnt even accepted and if he does who will be his vice? all the people the SW will vote for as Vice- Oshiomole and Fashola said they are not contesting in 2011.

So that Only leaves Jonathan to vote for-
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2010
sjeezy8:

^^ Im not a Jonathan or PDP supporter, im just realistic

TINUBU is more popular in the SW BUT Tinubu isnt contesting as president and his party doesnt even have a CLEAR flag bearer, if anything this 2011 election is a give away to Jonathan, but I know this wont happen in the future.

I mean- Who is going to be the flag bearer for acn in 2011? and Dont say Ribadu because he hasnt even accepted and if he does who will be his vice? all the people the SW will vote for as Vice- Oshiomole and Fashola said they are not contesting in 2011.

So that Only leaves Jonathan to vote for-

My brother, we cannot prejudge events prematurely . Jonathan is yet to declare same as Ribadu so I don't understand how you conclude that we are left with Jonathan alone to vote for. Worrying about Ribadu's VP is also baseless . It could be anyone . It is when the candidates declare officially that Nigerians can get a measure of those who want to be President. Conceding to Jonathan simply because we do not have the 'full count' simply shows the type of mentality that has seen us get to where we are today wherein most Nigerians now feel that the PDP have already won every election instead of us realising that we must move towards becoming a nation that defends its votes against corrupt misrulers who keep getting 're-elected' for doing nada but looting our treasury .
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by OAM4J: 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2010
The real debate will start when all the presidential candidates are known. Till then no one can claim to have Yoruba's backing.

But I wish GEJ declare and contest under PDP in other to reduce IBB and Atiku chances.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing / First Imo Tunnel And Propaganda Surrounding It. Enemies Of Progress. / Breaking News : Buhari Nabbed In Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.