Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,056 members, 7,953,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:03 PM

Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! (6068 Views)

Obama's Entourage Stuck In Traffic On His Way Back To Washington / Man Who Has Been Sleeping With Best Friend's Skeleton For 13 Years / Incredible! American Senator Debates For 13 Hours! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 4:27am On Aug 27, 2010
[center]China traffic jam: 100 km long, 13 days old[/center]

BEIJING – China has just been declared the world's second biggest economy, and now it has a monster traffic jam to match.
Triggered by road construction, the snarl-up began August 14th and was 100 kilometers (60 miles) long at one point. Reaching almost to the outskirts of Beijing, traffic still creeps along in fits and starts, and the crisis could last for another three weeks, authorities say.
In the worst-hit stretches of the road in northern China, drivers pass the time sitting in the shade of their immobilized trucks, playing cards, sleeping on the asphalt or bargaining with price-gouging food vendors. Many of the trucks that carry fruit and vegetables are unrefrigerated, and the cargoes are assumed to be rotting.
On Sunday, the eighth day of the near-standstill, trucks moved just over a kilometer (less than a mile) on the worst section, said Zhang Minghai, a traffic director in Zhangjiakou, a city about 150 kilometers (90 miles) northwest of Beijing. China Central Television reported Tuesday that some vehicles had been stuck for five days.
No portable toilets were set up along the highway, leaving only two apparent options — hike to a service area or into the fields.
But there were no reports of violent road rage, and the main complaint heard from drivers was about villagers on bicycles making a killing selling boxed lunches, bottled water to drink and heated water for noodles.
A bottle of water was selling for 10 yuan ($1.50), 10 times the normal price, Chinese media reports said.
The traffic jam built up on the Beijing-Tibet highway, on a section that links the capital to the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia. The main reason traffic has increased on this partially four-lane highway is the opening of coal mines in the northwest, vital for the booming economy that this month surpassed Japan's in size and is now second only to America's.
Although wages remain generally low, auto ownership and gridlock have grown so commonplace that Inner Mongolia authorities restrict cars' movement to alternate days, based on odd or even numbers in their license plates.
The immediate cause of the traffic jam that began Aug. 14 is construction on one of three southbound highways feeding into Beijing.
Authorities are trying to ease the snarl-up by letting more trucks into the capital, especially at night, said Zhang, the traffic director. They also asked trucking companies to suspend operations and advised drivers to take the few alternate routes available.
"Things are getting better and better," he said, but he added that the construction would go on until Sept. 17.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 4:30am On Aug 27, 2010
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 4:46am On Aug 27, 2010
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 4:48am On Aug 27, 2010

Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 4:50am On Aug 27, 2010

Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by kobikwelu(m): 11:50am On Aug 27, 2010
************shivers**********

my worst nightmare ,

stuck in traffic
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by dustydee: 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2010
wow! shocked
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by geogentle: 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is seriously serious
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Akuviv: 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2010
Seriously serious indeed! If this happens in Lagos, we too dey copy oyinbo sef, I hope we no go aspire to break this record
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by fizzybaba(m): 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2010
i hate traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafic
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is fcking hysteric. . .100 km hold-up,that is like almost lagos to ibadan.wtf
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Raimond(m): 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2010
And i thot Lagos was bad! lipsrsealed
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Blazing99: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2010
Now I'll stop dissing the traffic situation in Lagos. The world's most populated country has finally made the incredible record.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by toluxa1(m): 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is a pitiable disma-bisma. It is regrettably lugubrious that the country with the second largest economy . . . . .  grin

Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Ranoscky(m): 2:33pm On Aug 27, 2010
OP, on d day i saw dat news, it was on d 9th day of d traffic. N d next day, i heard dat it has started movin again so i don't know how it got to 13days, buh anyways sha, traffic is traffic!
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by kokoye(m): 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
the benefits of a booming economy!

be careful what you pray for . . cheesy
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Dirichi: 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2010
Na waoooo, this kind thing bad oooo and the worst thing be say dey no even get okada!!! wink wink
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by eros(m): 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2010
If i was stuck in such traffic, I will calmly look for a very safe spot on the road, park my car and board a bike home and if there is no bike, i will walk home. wink wink wink wink

Before man ever invented the automobile, men use their legs-mobile. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by slimes(m): 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is not good for china and the global weather. I hear they are approaching the 5 million mark of number of cars driven in a country. Their own disasters are just too much for a single inhabited country-Floods, earthquakes and landslides in less than a decade.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by wales(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
Na God go help them ooooooooooooooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blacksta(m): 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2010
For God sake - why make a fuss out of a one off event - It is not like it is a daily occurrence similar to what we get in Lagos - Abeg the amount of time i have spent in Lagos traffic totaled together pass 1 year and that record can never be broken by any country.

1 Like

Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by safariman(m): 4:22pm On Aug 27, 2010
And the air pollution is just as bad
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by oladayo042: 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2010
kokoye:

the benefits of a booming economy!

be careful what you pray for . . cheesy

Booming economy or Overpopulation?
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by kokoye(m): 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2010
I remember getting stuck on the 3rd mainland bridge in the yr 2000 - a truck fell on its side.

I got out of the car . . looked for pebbles and started throwing them into the water below. Got bored goin that so I walked back to the cars behind me and started chatting the drivers up.  Other drivers got out of their cars and looked for ways to entertain themselves.  cheesy

Hurricane Rita, took me 16 hours to get to dallas from Houston - a drive that would normally take less than 4hours.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by kokoye(m): 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2010
oladayo042:

Booming economy or Overpopulation?

booming economy ----> overpopulation ----> congestion -----> 16days in traffic wink
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by blank(f): 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2010
I remember when i just finished from NYSC camp.
It was in 2007.
I entered a small bus from Port-Harcourt to Abuja.
Just after Lokoja, we met a very terrible traffic jam.
I left the bus and walked forward for almost an hour before i got to the scene of the first accident (a tanker and a small car).
I started gisting with other corpers for about 45mins more before my bus caught up with me.
Then we moved forward small and met the second accident.
I got to Abuja by almost 3 in the morning.
There was no signal there so my parents were so worried that something had happened.

I also remember from my childhood when we spent Christmas eve on top of Onitcha bridge.
Na Christmas day when we land for village and na sleep we do throughout.
Thank God things are not as bad as 13 days in the same traffic.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by montelik(m): 6:37pm On Aug 27, 2010
For what? I would have waited and parked the car as well as possible and then proceed home to sleep, then come back to check on it later.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 27, 2010
have it on good authority(chinese friend told me lol) that the traffic jam was planned so they could get in GBR
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by tlops(m): 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2010
I heard it had a speed of 100 or 500 meters/day
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by Beync(f): 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2010
kokoye:

booming economy ----> overpopulation ---->

China is seriosly working on her population,they have a population policy now which says a family shud not give birth to not more than 2, wit time this tends to curb their pop problem.
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by holotee(m): 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
My thoughts exactly

eros:

If i was stuck in such traffic, I will calmly look for a very safe spot on the road, park my car and board a bike home and if there is no bike, i will walk home. wink wink wink wink

Before man ever invented the automobile, men use their legs-mobile. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Imagine Being In Traffic For 13 Days! by suxes2005(m): 8:59pm On Aug 27, 2010
This is serious.

if labour cash person nko?
how dem go take rush am go
hospital?

SHALOM

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sa Ready To Join Nigeria To Fight BH / Nigerian Nurse Says The Bible Forbids Women From Wearing Trousers / Obama Signs The Healthcare Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.