Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,166 members, 7,835,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections (35884 Views)

‘BVAS Hitches, Missing Voter Names’ — Yiaga Africa Releases Findings On Mock Acc / Arotile: We Will Release Findings On Sunday, Says NAF / Ekiti Election: Coalition Of Observers Reject Results, To Release Findings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by BrandSpurNG: 8:39am On Feb 27, 2019
The Commonwealth Group observing Nigeria’s general election has concluded that despite difficulties faced during the vote, “for the most part, Nigerians had the opportunity to express their will and exercise their franchise.”

In its Interim Statement released, the Group called on political parties to reject violence, while also commending the people of Nigeria for their commitment to democracy, including positive steps taken for women and youth participation in politics.

“Election-related violence and loss of life, which occurred in a number of places, is deeply troubling. Nigeria can do better. Violence has no place in a modern democracy,” stated Chairperson Jakaya Kikwete, former President of Tanzania, noting that several reports of violence were received by the Group. “Those responsible should be held accountable. We encourage all political parties to honour their commitments in the National Peace Accord and reject violence.”

The Group welcomed the signing of the National Peace Accord, and noted that while the campaign environment was tense and divisive, overall, “fundamental freedoms of association, expression, assembly and movement were generally respected”.

On polling day, Commonwealth observes witnessed a number of key challenges, including delays in the distribution of election materials, late opening of polling units, technical problems with Smart Card Readers, and inconsistency in polling procedures.

The Group also noted that 11.2 million Permanent Voter Cards (required for voting) out of 84 million were not collected. Consequently, more than 13 percent of all registered voters could not vote. 

Notwithstanding the challenges, Commonwealth observers were impressed by the hard work and dedication of polling staff. They commended the youth of Nigeria, especially the National Youth Service Corps, for their invaluable contribution to the electoral process. They welcomed the passing of the Not Too Young To Run Act in 2018, as a significant first step to enable youth participation, and noted some progress in the number of female political candidates. The Group encouraged stronger action to promote genuine inclusion.

“We trust that the final stages of collation and announcement of results will be handled in a transparent and credible manner,” said Dr. Kikwete. “The people of Nigeria have demonstrated patience and commitment to their democracy. We appeal to them to maintain the same commitment in the post-election period.”

The Commonwealth Group observed followed the pre-election campaign, voting, counting and collation processes. The Group’s full assessment on the electoral process as a whole, setting out its recommendations in greater detail, will be submitted to the Commonwealth Secretary-General at a later stage.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/02/26/commonwealth-observers-share-initial-findings-on-nigeria-elections/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by KINGwax007(m): 9:03am On Feb 27, 2019
Firstus dos commentus

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by davillian(m): 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
grin
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by useed(m): 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Kyase(m): 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
grin
Like for atiku
Share for Buhari grin
That nonsense go end for ever

254 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by ihioma561: 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
alright
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Rollercoasta: 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
shocked
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by thunder74(m): 9:04am On Feb 27, 2019
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Investmentfreak: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
A
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by jesus247alive(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
IF YOU ASK ME ...
NO WHO I GO ASK,
THE MATTER WEY YOU SEE SOO E TEY WEY E START,
NO BE ME GO TALK AM E HEAVY MOUTH

FINALLY AFRICA IS A SCAM,

I WONT EVEN MAKE SUCH MISTAKE COMING FROM AFRICA NEXT WORLD.

THEY ALL SHUT THEIR EYES AND MOUTH TO THE MAIN THING

ANYWAYS THEY SAY THE SUFFERING CONTINUES, AS FOR ME AND MY FAMILY GOD IS OUR LEADER SO WE CANT SUFFER.

MY FELLOW NIGERIANS GOD IS NOT SLEEPING OK HE KNOWS WHATSUP. WHEN ITS TIME HE WILL SHOW

18 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Bizmagnet: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
Observologist, well done!

Election is gone guys but your business and ideas are more inportant to me. Get your website/blog/software today. Check my signature for my contacts.

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by kasheemawo(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
IPOB online poll
Here we go...........

Like for Babã Buhari
Share for Atiku

5 Likes 52 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by aleeyus(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
hmmm

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by SouthSouth1914: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
Mr integrity the greatest election rigger of our modern history as a country. Buhari well done.

26 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by yetundeflexxy: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
ok ooooo
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
........for the most part, Nigerians had the opportunity to express their will and exercise their franchise.”
This is the truth and nothing but the absolute TRUTH.
To all LOVERS of Sai Baba, this is the continuation to a New Nigeria.
To the NEXT LEVEL we go.
A land flowing with milk and honey.

God bless our President MUHAMMADU BUHARI and his amiable Vice president Prof Yemi OSIBANJO.
God bless Nigeria.
Celebration times....

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by yetundeflexxy: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
alright
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Ilekeh(f): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
 “The people of Nigeria have demonstrated patience and commitment to their democracy. We appeal to them to maintain the same commitment in the post-election period.”

kiss

The children of hate are waiting for Trump (who is currently preparing to lose in 2020) and Nnamdi Kanu (Who is cowardly hiding oversea) to deliver Biafra.

They'll switch from "I've zombily articulated" to "Biafra or death" in a couple of weeks. Awon original Fulani slaves. grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by maberry(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
After all the troubles, the election has come & gone
All I know is that for the sake of those my broke ass friends that were screaming Next Level... The next level better not be downwards because I am out for all of them

4 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by helinues: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
Atikwayet Obediently supporters waiting for all the prophets that prophesied , international groups that predicted Atiku of winning

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by tommykiwi(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
APChit party have given you guys ur own share, so what did you guys come to Nigeria to do at first, because even with what you guys saw during the election you guys were impressed with the RIGGiNG!
NONSENSE!

5 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by harley88(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
FG should as a matter of urgency ban the sales of Sniper insecticide and ropes, block third mainland bridge and bring down all masts. Wailers would be very suicidal this next few months

3 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by psychologist(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
These ones to have collected their share from from tinubu's/ buhari bullion van....and dey are here yanning dust, dey cant say it as it is that Apc raped nigerians

7 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Connoisseur(m): 9:05am On Feb 27, 2019
Atkins is alone.
Indeed failure has no friends

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by skulgen: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2019
I weep for this country.
Surely, theres no hope.
Impunity is being celebrated in the open.

Tht nonsense of leaders of tmrw being taught in sch should just stop.

Not my president.

5 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Lordofthewest(m): 9:06am On Feb 27, 2019
We told these useless southerners to go out and vote they were on nairaland ranting like idiots, some of them even boycotted the process..We dey here together una go hear am this remaining four years of buhari.
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by MobilityExpress: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2019
Re: Commonwealth Observers Share Initial Findings On Nigeria Elections by Waakanda: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2019
Painful cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks Military Convoy At Azare-Kamuya, Carts Away Cash, Equipment / Buhari's Government May Not Be Rosy For Governors / INEC Releases Final List Of Candidates For Edo Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.