Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State (1084 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by qwenu: 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2019
Apart from politics, the Yoruba and Igbo share a mutual relationship. This relationship is visible in marriage, trade, and religion. More than 90% of the Igbo are Christians while a good number of the Yoruba also pray through Jesus to God. Their mutual belief in the same God further strengthens their relationship.

And over the years, especially since Lagos was opened up and integrated into the global economy, the Igbo have trooped in massively to trade. The Yoruba, unlike some other tribes, welcomed them with a friendly gesture, which is why Lagos has become a safe haven for Igbo traders to do businesses.

Some Igbos have even gone beyond trading to buying landed property and making Lagos their permanent homes. Hence it will not be out of place to say that Igbos have billions of property in Lagos than anywhere else in the Southwest.

Again, the Igbo are very enterprising and innovative even though there are some dishonest and bad eggs amongst them that want to tarnish the general image of the tribe. And because of this, the economy of Lagos is in their hands. I say this without any apology to anyone, if the Igbo are chased from Lagos as some lazy hoodlums and mischief-makers are suggesting through their violent body language, her economy will collapse in 30 minutes.

Recently, in the just concluded presidential and National Assembly elections in Lagos state, there was a terrible report of how some rogues and public nuisances went to disrupt the elections in Igbo dominated areas. It was gathered that the hoodlums intended to stop them from voting for PDP, being that Lagos is an APC state. More so, another report emerged on Monday that the Igbo were not allowed to open their shops in Oshodi.

On a very serious note, the attack on the Igbo does not make any sense. Even if it is political manipulation, it is evil and can strain the relationship both tribes worked hard and took years to build.

A good student of history will realize that the Igbo and Yoruba have a bad political relationship, which started from the days of rivalry between Obafemi Awolowo and Nnamdi Azikwe in the western region. Till date, the role Awolowo played in the civil war is still fresh in the memory of some Igbos. And with the recent attack, there is a possibility that old wounds can be opened if the harassment of the Igbo in Lagos state continued unabated.
Read full article: https://qwenu.com/2019/02/27/the-attack-on-the-igbo-in-lagos-state/

Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by geosegun(m): 1:30pm On Feb 27, 2019
qwenu:
Apart from politics, the Yoruba and Igbo share a mutual relationship. This relationship is visible in marriage, trade, and religion. More than 90% of the Igbo are Christians while a good number of the Yoruba also pray through Jesus to God. Their mutual belief in the same God further strengthens their relationship.

And over the years, especially since Lagos was opened up and integrated into the global economy, the Igbo have trooped in massively to trade. The Yoruba, unlike some other tribes, welcomed them with a friendly gesture, which is why Lagos has become a safe haven for Igbo traders to do businesses.

Some Igbos have even gone beyond trading to buying landed property and making Lagos their permanent homes. Hence it will not be out of place to say that Igbos have billions of property in Lagos than anywhere else in the Southwest.

Again, the Igbo are very enterprising and innovative even though there are some dishonest and bad eggs amongst them that want to tarnish the general image of the tribe. And because of this, the economy of Lagos is in their hands. I say this without any apology to anyone, if the Igbo are chased from Lagos as some lazy hoodlums and mischief-makers are suggesting through their violent body language, her economy will collapse in 30 minutes.

Recently, in the just concluded presidential and National Assembly elections in Lagos state, there was a terrible report of how some rogues and public nuisances went to disrupt the elections in Igbo dominated areas. It was gathered that the hoodlums intended to stop them from voting for PDP, being that Lagos is an APC state. More so, another report emerged on Monday that the Igbo were not allowed to open their shops in Oshodi.

On a very serious note, the attack on the Igbo does not make any sense. Even if it is political manipulation, it is evil and can strain the relationship both tribes worked hard and took years to build.

A good student of history will realize that the Igbo and Yoruba have a bad political relationship, which started from the days of rivalry between Obafemi Awolowo and Nnamdi Azikwe in the western region. Till date, the role Awolowo played in the civil war is still fresh in the memory of some Igbos. And with the recent attack, there is a possibility that old wounds can be opened if the harassment of the Igbo in Lagos state continued unabated.
Read full article: https://qwenu.com/2019/02/27/the-attack-on-the-igbo-in-lagos-state/

Did you know you just messed everything up by your bias reporting.

While the Yorubas did not support an act of a miscreant, snatching and burning ballot boxes, and hence their keeping mum on the animistic attack on a Yoruba man by some selected Igbos in OKota area of Lagos state. Did you know why I am disappointed at your tribes men reactions? I have never seen enough reasonable reactions from Igbo people condemning such an act of hatred and animosity. The man was beating blue and black, fine, then he was struggling for his life, (instead of handing him over to the police), Hell no! one animal from Igbo stock, carried a heavy boulder aiming at his head with the aim to Kill him totally? and out of 100s of Igbo people around? non, I meant non, could caution him/them. It means all around are in support of this dastard act to the extent that they have the gut to film this barbaric act and still upload the video on the social media. What a shame.

The bigotry of this report, as you can see up there, omitted this wrong deed. A typical Igbo man, rather than condemning this evil will rather keep-mum, because, it is their tribesmen that did the evil. If this were to be meted out to an Igbo man by a Yoruba or an Hausa man, will the report have kept quiet on this evil? Can you see how bias and tribal centrist, the write up is?

Typical Yoruba people will not do this nor support this animistic behavior. If the Yorubas decided to treat this fu)k-up and mete out such an hatred as been done by Igbos in Lagos, you guys would have been shouting murder, hatred, marginalization etc... The Igbos need to learn form the Yorubas how to be civil and liberal in their actions, then we can continue to live, grow together and develop together. if not, this would not pay the Igbos in all ramifications.

NB: I have the video on my Phone if you care for one. I am happy to send it across so you can analyse the situation yourself and tell me if the IGBO's actions at Okota are completely right in a civilized society

4 Likes

Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by duruZed(m): 6:13pm On Feb 27, 2019
No law abiding citizen and God person will agree to the unlawful waste of human life, but we should understand that those thugs purposely came to an area they know that the Igbos are dominant and are ready to defend themselves against any foe or enemy. Did those men forget that the president gave order to shot down any ballot box snatcher? Maybe they have already made up their mind to face any danger they might meet in the course of their action. And i think it is high time other nigerian start claiming the rights and privilages of where they resides just as the indigenes of that state. You came to kill and destroy but it became back to sender and you start complianing so you want others death while you live.
Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by geosegun(m): 7:45pm On Feb 27, 2019
duruZed:
No law abiding citizen and God person will agree to the unlawful waste of human life, but we should understand that those thugs purposely came to an area they know that the Igbos are dominant and are ready to defend themselves against any foe or enemy. Did those men forget that the president gave order to shot down any ballot box snatcher? Maybe they have already made up their mind to face any danger they might meet in the course of their action. And i think it is high time other nigerian start claiming the rights and privilages of where they resides just as the indigenes of that state. You came to kill and destroy but it became back to sender and you start complianing so you want others death while you live.

So, is you and your uncivilized kinsman are the ones the the President gave the order to? He gave the order to law enforcement agents and not animals in human skin. Just, go through your comment again up there. It shows you lack understanding. Instead of you to be remorseful and apologise you are here claiming macho. When they decide to treat your Kinsman fukkck up, you will be one of the first people to gnash their teeth to claim blue murder. So you think in that small Okota, they can outnumber or overpower the Indigent? You must be wallowing in self aggrandizement and that's the beginning of self destruction.

What is bad is bad, stop supporting the wrong thing even if they are your Kinsman because when it happened your people will bear the brunt of it, 1966 comes to mind. I am positive you don't want a repeat of such, do you? Please stop any hatred henceforth or unneccessary envy that could spiral into civil unrest.

We know what your ilks want is to bring war to Yoruba land so they can be like your ancestral land? but you know what? the Yorubas are wiser than that...They won't allow such to happen. So carry your hatred and envy go somewhere else. Kkkkkk

From your comment above it shows you can never make a good leader. It doesn't cost anything to realize your mistakes and apologise. This is why it difficult to allow strangers to claim any right in another man's land especially in Nigeria because of issues like this...home training, family, cultural and societal values are quiet different and miles apart.

People like you will make another man's peaceful abode a no go area. That's why some of you are running away from your ancestral land as there is no peace there? Your women are the best thing that God gave you, aside that... I don't see any tribe envying yours?

2 Likes

Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by Afflalo(m): 10:25am On Feb 28, 2019
Flat head Jews are wicked people,they ave no human feelings
Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by duruZed(m): 7:31pm On Feb 28, 2019
Because we stay in your area to live and do business then we must be your slaves, you want to treat our Bleep up then be ready for whatever you get in return, a tribalistic fool like you. Even when checked properly you are not a real yoruba, you are a foolish bastard for insulting me because i spoke my mind. @geoshegun
Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by geosegun(m): 10:16pm On Feb 28, 2019
duruZed:
Because we stay in your area to live and do business then we must be your slaves, you want to treat our Bleep up then be ready for whatever you get in return, a tribalistic fool like you. Even when checked properly you are not a real yoruba, you are a foolish bastard for insulting me because i spoke my mind. @geoshegun

Young man, If you could please point to just one sentence up there where I abuse you?

By mentioning uncivilized kinsman, I was referring to those that took laws into their hands at Okota or are you an accomplice?

Every of your assertion concerning me was wrong and so, I'll forgive you for directly insulting me. Can you see how you just exposed your lack of maturity? I repeat, such character can not make a good leader, unless you change.

I don't have time for such uncivilize behaviour. For the records, it's geosegun and not geoshegun, I'm out.

2 Likes

Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by duruZed(m): 11:31am On Mar 01, 2019
geosegun:

Young man, If you could please point to just one sentence up there where I abuse you?

By mentioning uncivilized kinsman, I was referring to those that took laws into their hands at Okota or are you an accomplice?

Every of your assertion concerning me was wrong and so, I'll forgive you for directly insulting me. Can you see how you just exposed your lack of maturity? I repeat, such character can not make a good leader, unless you change.

I don't have time for such uncivilize behaviour. For the records, it's geosegun and not geoshegun, I'm out.
you can call yourself whatever you like i don't care you just can't insult a whole tribe just for your selfish interest, and you expect them to keep quite. Just note that actions and it's reactions are ALWAYS equal and opposite.
Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by jyz200(m): 9:18pm On Mar 02, 2019
Igbos dy do pass themselves
Re: The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State by FisifunKododada: 1:23am On Mar 03, 2019
omo ibo why u dey do pass urself...?...make u no do pass urself... cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Ladi Kwali: Everything You Need To Know / A South African Lady Dancing Nakedly For Nigerian Yahoo Boys / Raising Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.