Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? (4278 Views)

9th NASS: APC Chiefs In Game Of Wits / Buhari To Decide Next Senate President For Us - Omo-agege / Oshiomohole Anoints Akume, Next Senate President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Jentle244: 7:14am On Feb 28, 2019
With the conduct of last Saturday’s Presidential and National Assembly elections and the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the next stage of battle would be who becomes number three citizen of the country.

Senate
In the next couple of weeks and months, the nation would be saturated with stories and permutations as to who emerges the President of the Senate of the 9th National Assembly come June 8th, 2019.

Following the results released by INEC after the National Assembly election, the ruling party, the All Progressives Congress, APC has the highest number of both new and old senators, with a total number of sixty-four Senators.

The opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP has a total of forty Senators, the Young Progressive Party, YPP has one Senator, bringing that to a total of one hundred and five Senators, with four yet to be declared in Imo, Taraba and Plateau States.

In determining who becomes the Presiding officers, this brings us to the factor that the Senate Rule allows only a ranking senator to be selected for this purpose and being that the APC has the majority, the candidate may come from within its caucus.

Another determining factor for clinching the position of Senate President is that out of 109 Senators, the person who has the highest number of votes becomes Senate President.

Top of the list of those believed to be in the contest is the present Senate leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan, APC, Yobe North who was picked for the position by the APC caucus prior to the emergence of the Present Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki in 2015.

Senator Lawan who is loved by his colleagues, is seen as one who is well prepared for the position against the backdrop that in 2015, the North West Senators had adopted him as their preferred candidate for the position and the former Senate President, Senator David Mark had preferred him to Senator George Akume who was also interested then.

He is about the highest-ranking legislator in the Senate having been elected to the House of Representatives in 1999.

Another thing that would work in his favour is that in Yobe State where he comes from, other Senators are coming as fresh ones and age is also on his side, and he has the energy, vigour, and experience, just as a former contender for the position, Senator Akume has been kicked out of the Senate and will not be at the 9th Senate.

Another Senator who has been interested and still very much interested is former governor of Nasarawa State, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, Nasarawa West, and age may not be on his side as he is now seventy-two years and came to the Senate in 2011. What may work for him is that in his state, other Senators – elect are new especially with the coming of the present governor, Tanko Almakura.

The former Senate leader, Senator Ali Ndume, Borno South is also said to be eying the position.

It was gathered that the South-South would produce the Deputy Senate President and with the calculations, the present deputy Chief Whip, Senator Francis Alimikhena, APC, Edo North is most suitable for the position following his experience, age and having served as a principal officer, he is already equipped for the position.

Though from the South-South, Senator Ovie Omo- Agege, Delta Central was reelected, he would be adequately compensated for being a very loyal supporter of President Muhammadu Buhari with a very juicy committee to chair.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 28, 2019
Senator Francis Alimikhena.
Francis Asekhame Alimikhena (born 18 October 1947) is a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from Edo State. He represents Edo North in the current 8th National Assembly. Senator Alimikhena is the Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Housing and also a member of the Senate committee on Constitutional Review.

Personal details

Born
Francis Asekhame Alimikhena
18 October 1947 (age 71)
Etsako East, Edo, Nigeria

Political party
All Progressives Congress
Residence
Abuja (official)
Auchi, Edo (private)

Alma mater
University of Buckingham, United Kingdom (L.L.B.)
Nigerian Law School (B.L)

Profession
Businessman
Politician
Retired military officer

Awards
Forces Service Star (FSS)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Jentle244: 7:21am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:
Someone from south south.

Edo man precisely

What about the south east? Since our man no go as in Peter obi
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Samirana360(m): 7:23am On Feb 28, 2019
since akpabio did not return, give it to okorocha
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Ijeshaooduaman: 7:26am On Feb 28, 2019
Omo-agege or any south south man.

My opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 7:27am On Feb 28, 2019
Samirana360:
Okorocha cannot be trusted, he already betrayed his party

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by BuhariAdvocate: 7:38am On Feb 28, 2019
Without any argument and for peace to reign in 9th assembly, they should nominate senate President from northwest. They should also give omoagege deputy senate. Edo don't deserve anything from this government even if buhari will chose his minister,he should give minister of state to Edo.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Gforce2019: 7:42am On Feb 28, 2019
Samirana360:

I will prefer omo-agege than okorohausa....
The mandate okorohausa got wasn't his own mandate...
He might even be ask to return all the money collected to the government...

Ovie omo-agege is who you should look out for...
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by adem30: 7:48am On Feb 28, 2019
Omo Agege Senate President.

Ahmed Lawal Deputy Senate Resident

Remi Tinubu Majority Leader

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by seunfly: 8:03am On Feb 28, 2019
What about orji uzor Kalu?
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by HimName: 8:37am On Feb 28, 2019
APC should give it to Dino Melaye. grin

Oshomole would rather sell off his properties and commit suicide than to live and see it happen.

The guy show am pepper grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by 2dillu2(m): 8:37am On Feb 28, 2019
Senator Danjuma Goje representing Gombe Central and current Chairman house committee on appropriations. He is a former minister of state for Power, a two time governor of Gombe and has been in the senate since 2011.
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Afamed: 8:39am On Feb 28, 2019
Omo Agege or Lawan
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 28, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Without any argument and for peace to reign in 9th assembly, they should nominate senate President from northwest. They should also give omoagege deputy senate. Edo don't deserve anything from this government even if buhari will chose his minister,he should give minister of state to Edo.
I swear your eyes will clear very soon.

We'll either take senate President or deputy.

That your osinbanjo he will never be president, don't ever trust or underestimate oshiomole.
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Afamed: 8:43am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:

That your osinbanjo he will never be president, don't ever trust or underestimate oshiomole.

We have heard you.
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 28, 2019
Afamed:

We have heard you. It's better to resume your Biafra or death National Anthem protest than dishing out advise for APC
smh I'm an Edo man not Igbo.

APC will favour the Edo people more even though I wanted Atiku to win.

So I lost absolutely nothing.

We won two senate seats and our representatives houses so I'm good
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by zlantanfan: 8:45am On Feb 28, 2019
yemaldo:

Okorocha cannot be trusted, he already betrayed his party
I don't think he realises its a party decision with oshomole and tinubu influencing outcome.

It should go to south especially ss. But I really wanted orji kalu

1 Like

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by zlantanfan: 8:48am On Feb 28, 2019
adem30:
Omo Agege Senate President.

Ahmed Lawal Deputy Senate Resident

Remi Tinubu Majority Leader
The combo is good, but orji kalu should get something.

Lol, I imagine agege as sp (rugged man)
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by aljharem(m): 8:48am On Feb 28, 2019
Omo Agege

No SE deserve it. Okorocha should go and sit down
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by T051N(m): 8:48am On Feb 28, 2019
First timers can't hold that position. ITT was supposed to be akpabio, but....you know the rest
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by BuhariAdvocate: 8:49am On Feb 28, 2019
cry keep quiet Edo have benefited so much from APC. Despite this fact your people hate the party so much. Oshiomole is a good man but when you guys hate him for nothing what do you expect?
Donmedra:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Sanchez01: 8:50am On Feb 28, 2019
APC has 64 Senators this time. They only need to woo 6 opposition senators to defect to enjoy a complete 2/3 of the Senate.

Akpabio would have been the best option but as it stands, Omo-Agege will likely take charge.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Afamed: 8:50am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:

You know Apc will favour Edo more but you still wanted Atiku to win. Don't you think you are one of the problems in the society?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by aljharem(m): 8:52am On Feb 28, 2019
Afamed:

You know Apc will favour Edo more but you still wanted Atiku to win. Don't you think you are one of the problems in the society?

Don't mind people like that. Abeg just give omo agege
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by zlantanfan: 8:52am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:

No urhoghide won for PDP with ordia.

I really don't feel alimenkena he is not solid, I don't think he would have made it to senate if not oshomole stake in Edo north.

I prefer omo agege if it must be south south, that guy is a one man squad still surviving in the midst of difficult PDP terrain (even akpabio couldn't do it).

1 Like

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 28, 2019
zlantanfan:
No urhoghide won for PDP with ordia.

I really don't feel alimenkena he is not solid, I don't think he would have made it to senate if not oshomole stake in Edo north.

I prefer omo agege if it must be south south, that guy is a one man squad still surviving in the midst of difficult PDP terrain (even akpabio couldn't do it).
that's what I'm saying, we deliver two senate seats for PDP and we are likely to get the minority whip too.

If APC is smart,they should give the deputy senate seats to Edo people
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Afamed: 9:06am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:
that's what I'm saying, we deliver two senate seats for PDP and we are likely to get the minority whip too.

If APC is smart,they should give the deputy senate seats to Edo people
You want to eat your cake and have it? Is that your definition of smartness

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 28, 2019
Afamed:

You want to eat your cake and have it? Is that your definition of smartness
your eyes will soon clear.

Edo might take the senate or deputy senate.

PDP minority whip in either senate or reps.

APC national chairman.

2023, it's either obaseki or osinbanjo.

Tinubu vs oshiomole.

#onlyedocsndefeatedo
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by zlantanfan: 9:10am On Feb 28, 2019
Donmedra:

lol, you know nothing about politics, I am Edo, APC existed on 3 groups (CPC, acn, npdp) Npdp weren't given stake so they left, its always been controlled by CPC and acn groups.

Buhari has enjoyed his CPC stake and they allow him his time, buhari also doesn't involve much in party decision which ACN group largely dictates.

Oshomole is a founder with tinubu from acn stalk and tinubu controls party decision (even appointment of oshomole as chairman ).

After buhari finishes 2023 he would back up osinbajo in the north while he appoints a vice for yemi.

Their is a reason tinubu co-chairs buhari campaign and was allowed to pick the vice president.

Oshomole would take make party decision from acn block, buhari block was only concerned about presidency

1 Like

Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 28, 2019
Let's see who the northerners will Trust.

Tinubu that hardly delivers in region relying on rigging to help him and osinbanjo that couldn't deliver in polling unit.

Or oshiomole that retired.

Obasanjo
Saraki
Kwankwanson
Danjuma
Ibb

And many others
Re: Who Is Next Senate President As Battle Of Wits Begins? by DrBrainstorm(m): 9:12am On Feb 28, 2019
HimName:
APC should give it to Dino Melaye. grin

Oshomole would rather sell of his properties and commit suicide than to live and see it happen.

The guy show am pepper grin
grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exposing Kanu And His Fake ESN/UGM / US vice President hosts Ghana,Zambia presidents in white house. Buhari Snubbed / President Tinubu Promises To Address Farmer/Herders Conflict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.