Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,769 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! (40001 Views)

My Phone Was Stolen And Money Withdrawn From My Bank Account / Pepper In Vagina Saga: No Phone Was Missing, Police CP / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Speedyconnect15: 9:09am On Feb 28, 2019
Dingbang

Rush here now!

How did this happen?

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Leun: 9:10am On Feb 28, 2019
thereturnoflucy:
All this banks ehn....just yesterday I noticed a huge loophole in my Access account...I was like woah shocked shocked shocked

Pls explain as I use access to. Tell me more. Thank you.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by jhenie(f): 9:10am On Feb 28, 2019
Having a password on a phone isn't enough security, the bank's USSD code was probably used for the transaction. I advise everyone to have a sim lock code as well, if he had, the thief wouldn't have succeeded. Meanwhile @poster if the bank refuses to trace the thief go to CBN complaint panel and report the case with all evidence that you already reported to the bank. Regulatory bodies loves to get such information for easy fining. Or complain on twitter and tag FBN and CBN.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Greenbullet(m): 9:12am On Feb 28, 2019
Oswardee:
Hello, its not possible to transfer money off your account using your phone via mobile app or the USSD platform without your pin. Probably he stored his pin in his phone. Report the matter to the police.
his phone was passworded !

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by femi4: 9:13am On Feb 28, 2019
chikeze:
You are at fault.why wait for close to 9hrs before u were debited? The minute u noticed your phone missing u should have gone to the nearest first bank to block the account.
Exactly, why wait that long. When you can retreive the sim or block the account in less than two hrs
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by adisabarber(m): 9:14am On Feb 28, 2019
chloride6:
Your friend was careless, not to have reported to the bank once the phone was stolen..#

To use the *894# ussd interface..

You need to know the mobile pin...

It is possible yout friends uses a simple PIN.]

In that case how is it FBN's fault...

Without knowledge of the pin, he couldnt have transferred funds through ussd.

Your friend might have saved his mobile pin on his sim card too, as some careless people do...

They can at least tell him the account the money went to
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by jaxxy(m): 9:14am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
Good day people , I want to report a case of theft and bad security , my friends phone was stolen in a bus ,take note, this phone was passworded , so he felt SAFE ! , ONLY TO RECEIVE THE SHOCK OF HIS LIFE, his FIRST BANK ACCOUNT HAD BEEN DEBITED , IN LESS THAN 9 HOURS , how could this be , a bank that parades itself as one of the best , be so easily breached ! , That means , the only thing protecting any customers account is their phone and not the bank ! , I was annoyed when he told me this , a certain HARRISON ONYEKACHI IS THE SUSPECT , we went to the bank for help and they told us they can't do anything but block the account , is this fair ? They have refused to help us , FIRST BANK has refused to help us track down the suspect , please moderators , help this reach the front page , many other individuals should know the level of protection that FIRST BANK provides them , I attached a screenshot and a PDF of the fraud .

The trick is Ur fone is passworded bt u sim isn’t unless u use a puk password. The sim can be taken out and placed in another Fone and reconfigured. When u loose ur Fone/sim connected to ur account I need to block either the sim or account immediately. Call ur bank or network and block it within mins.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by femi4: 9:14am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
that can be easily remove
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by banio: 9:15am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
Good day people , I want to report a case of theft and bad security , my friends phone was stolen in a bus ,take note, this phone was passworded , so he felt SAFE ! , ONLY TO RECEIVE THE SHOCK OF HIS LIFE, his FIRST BANK ACCOUNT HAD BEEN DEBITED , IN LESS THAN 9 HOURS , how could this be , a bank that parades itself as one of the best , be so easily breached ! , That means , the only thing protecting any customers account is their phone and not the bank ! , I was annoyed when he told me this , a certain HARRISON ONYEKACHI IS THE SUSPECT , we went to the bank for help and they told us they can't do anything but block the account , is this fair ? They have refused to help us , FIRST BANK has refused to help us track down the suspect , please moderators , help this reach the front page , many other individuals should know the level of protection that FIRST BANK provides them , I attached a screenshot and a PDF of the fraud .

There are several gateways via which money can leave your account. But the bank should be able to help, so that You know the exact gateway via which U were defrauded. U can inform CBN and the police for further investigation
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by mfm04622: 9:15am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:
It is high time First Bank did something about this! A hundred and Eight Thousand Naira (108,000) was withdrawn from my First Bank account in September. The account in question had an expired card and a new one had not been collected in its stead. When I complained at a branch closest to me, I was told it was impossible to withdraw without my consent.

First Bank staff are fraud!

They told you that and you left it? Did you write them a letter? Did you fill any form? If the branch did not respond, did you write to Head Office? What means was the money withdrawn with? ATM? Transfer? It is high time Nigerians know their rights and demand it

6 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Oswardee: 9:18am On Feb 28, 2019
Nnamekus1:
You passworded your phone but didn't password your SIM. Hence your SIM is linked to your account anybody that has it can easily remove it from your phone, put in another phone and gain access to your account.
Do not blame your bank because it's still the same SIM that will receive the alert and OTP if needed and the criminal has it in his possession.
What they usually do is to purchase airtime from the account using the *904# ussd code. It works for all banks if I'm not mistaken.

Next time try and activate pin code or sim lock on your SIM.

Not just this. Every transfer off your account to another account requires you input your pin. The fraudster couldn’t just have gotten the pin right within 3 trials expect the victim used a weak pin or stored same in his phone.

I have an account with Firstbank and i use their app and USSD code. A pin is always required and where the amount is over a certain limit you will need to provide a token or OTP as the case may be. But for every sinle transaction you will need to input your pin.

So let him come open with what really happened and then goto the police and file a complaint against the fraudster.....thats the nest he can do.

4 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by don4real18(m): 9:18am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:
It is high time First Bank did something about this! A hundred and Eight Thousand Naira (108,000) was withdrawn from my First Bank account in September. The account in question had an expired card and a new one had not been collected in its stead. When I complained at a branch closest to me, I was told it was impossible to withdraw without my consent.

You no sabi para... Come and rent me. Even first bank will think that I own the account

3 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Greenbullet(m): 9:18am On Feb 28, 2019
femi4:
that can be easily remove
he told me his password is 15 letters and symbols , so he basically uses the fingerprint instead
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by ajayiopy: 9:19am On Feb 28, 2019
THERE IS A WAY OUT. LODGE YOUR COMPLAIN WITH CIVIL DEFENCE ,THEY HAVE A UNIT THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by femi4: 9:20am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:
he told me his password is 15 letters and symbols , so he basically uses the fingerprint instead
can be bypass with gateway software
Sim password is more reliable
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Deltatoto: 9:20am On Feb 28, 2019
chloride6:
Your friend was careless, not to have reported to the bank once the phone was stolen..#

To use the *894# ussd interface..

You need to know the mobile pin...

It is possible yout friends uses a simple PIN.]

In that case how is it FBN's fault...

Without knowledge of the pin, he couldnt have transferred funds through ussd.

Your friend might have saved his mobile pin on his sim card too, as some careless people do...

say what u no and don’t just type nonsense I’m on a fraud case too my fidelity account was debitted 20k twice with a ussd code funny thg I don’t use ussd code only the mobile app.this happened just on Tuesday I have complained to my bank they have promised to help me the money was transferred to first bank.the thief even bought recharge card online.the case I have with my bank is ussd code can’t do more than 20k a day but the money was 40k under few minutes.the truth is no fraud happens without an insider in the bank.im going back to fidelity bank on Friday and God knows hell will be let loose.

3 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by ipobarethieves: 9:22am On Feb 28, 2019
Sicilyjoe:

Do u know if bank is open at that time
Some branch open on weekend/ beta still call firstcontact
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by FantasticJ: 9:24am On Feb 28, 2019
HimName:
I was about opening an account with First bank.

I had a rethink after my very close friend experienced just exactly what the OP went through.

No PIN, no Password but funds were moved after his phone was stolen.

First bank? A big No!

Oga, It's not the bank, It's the Op friend.
There must have been a saved PIN on his phone or SIM. There's no way funds will move without passwords.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by ksly24(m): 9:25am On Feb 28, 2019
Homeboiy:
Oh doh
That's how my Facebook account was hacked yesterday night
I retrieved it within 10mins

. I hate using bank apps on my phone
how did you retrieve it?
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by DP84: 9:27am On Feb 28, 2019
mfm04622:

They told you that and you left it? Did you write them a letter? Did you fill any form? If the branch did not respond, did you write to Head Office? What means was the money withdrawn with? ATM? Transfer? It is high time Nigerians know their rights and demand it
Nah... Issue is quite complicated. I was indisposed at the time it all went down. Yes, I filled a form and traveled out of town shortly afterwards. It was transfer. There was no way it would have been via ATM because the card expired in July and I didn't get another because the account is barely used.

In all honesty, First Bank's staff are fraud. A friend called my attention to a similar case as mine just some weeks after my unfolded. Nothing was done still. The modus operandi of First Bank as regards to handling customer's funds is disturbing.

2 Likes

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by DP84: 9:27am On Feb 28, 2019
don4real18:

You no sabi para... Come and rent me. Even first bank will think that I own the account
LMAO!
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Darlenelove: 9:28am On Feb 28, 2019
Report to Police first
Call your lawyer and obtain an exper te motion to freeze the customer's account and issue arrest.

You can block all his accounts through one single account by BVN

Whenever he comes to bank, they will arrest him

Now, bank cannot block his account as you wanted without a valid court order.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Greenbullet(m): 9:28am On Feb 28, 2019
FantasticJ:

There must have been a saved PIN on his phone or SIM. There's no way funds will move without passwords.
that simcard had few contacts, just a minor sim , and he expressely stated that he never saved any information relating to his bank on the sim .

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by DP84: 9:29am On Feb 28, 2019
writeprof:

In a case like this, you get a lawyer to take them to court, their fear of embarrassment will bring out your money.
Yeah, I guess. I'd be checking up on the bank in the coming weeks as I have been out of town for long.

1 Like

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by Oswardee: 9:29am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:

Passworded phone or not, you can’t carry out a USSD transfer off a firstbank account with out a 5 digit pin. Maybe the phone was stolen by his friend or an insider who knows his pin. There is absolutely nothing your bank can do in this case because you compromised your pin. Report the matter to the police and with the help of your bank they can track the fraudster through the beneficiary of the transfer.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by holuphisayor(m): 9:32am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:

Nah... Issue is quite complicated. I was indisposed at the time it all went down. Yes, I filled a form and traveled out of town shortly afterwards. It was transfer. There was no way it would have been via ATM because the card expired in July and I didn't get another because the account is barely used.

In all honesty, First Bank's staff are fraud. A friend called my attention to a similar case as mine just some weeks after my unfolded. Nothing was done still. The modus operandi of First Bank as regards to handling customer's funds is disturbing.
This isnt about first bank staff. The USSD channel is unsafe. Just disable it on your account.

Last time i checked, there is a backdoor to this USSD thing.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by ipobarethieves: 9:33am On Feb 28, 2019
DP84:

undecided
DP84:

How are FBN staff fraud? Try do wuruwuru/magomago with customers money,U'll pay.
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by ejimatic: 9:35am On Feb 28, 2019
Greenbullet:

. Sorry for what happened.When a phone is lost with a mobile bank app on it or is registered with online banking the next thing to do immediately is to go to a nearby bank whose app is on the phone or is used for an online banking and block the account immidiately.No alternative to this.The lazy Nigerians who are fraudsters can use your phone to break into your account. Banks usually don't want to reveal the identity of the the person who illegally withdrew the money unless there is a strong reason for this.1. It is a police case. 2 It is a case of armed robbery. 3 The case affects the bank itself 4. the money is withdrawn through ATM If it is a loss of phone like yours the onus lie on you to report it immediately to show that you have not deliberately compromised your account....It happened to me once and I blocked all my accounts immediately in the nearest branches. Finally if your money is withdrawn through USSD Bank may not be able to help on the identity ..It will be as if you were the person that withdrew it. Finally if you mount pressure on the bank and let the police be involved possibly you may get the identity of the Withdrawer....Please accept my sympathy... God will replenish you .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by chloride6: 9:36am On Feb 28, 2019
Deltatoto:
say what u no and don’t just type nonsense I’m on a fraud case too my fidelity account was debitted 20k twice with a ussd code funny thg I don’t use ussd code only the mobile app.this happened just on Tuesday I have complained to my bank they have promised to help me the money was transferred to first bank.the thief even bought recharge card online.the case I have with my bank is ussd code can’t do more than 20k a day but the money was 40k under few minutes.the truth is no fraud happens without an insider in the bank.im going back to fidelity bank on Friday and God knows hell will be let loose.

I wasnt taking about fidelity bank
Re: My Phone Was Stolen And My Firstbank Account Was Debited Without My Pin ! by dasrackhor(m): 9:39am On Feb 28, 2019
FantasticJ:

Oga there is ooo, last December was withdraw from my account after my phone was stolen.
The trick is they will change your transactions pin by first getting your bvn number via your registered bvn sim and then use it to change your transaction pin via the Ussd platform.
To even make the matter worst I reported the case to the bank(Gtbank in Ogba) they couldn't do anything, I collected statement of account and went straight to the police and after various extortion from the police(from Bank order to various charges and nothing to show for it) I just give up easily.
Nigeria is a messed up Country and please Sim lock for Sim if you don't want someone to transfer your funds after snatching your phone.
You all should stay safe and yes if anybody can still help in apprehending those criminals I wouldn't mind.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prophet Collects N70m, 3 Houses, Cars To Cure Woman’s Fibroids (Photos) / Bus Driver Dresses In Police Uniform Robbed Bank Customers (photo) / Photo Of The Woman Raped And Killed By Herdsmen In Edo As People Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.