Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria (9320 Views)

Abacha Loot Spent On Roads, Electricity, Others, Okonjo- Iweala Tells World Bank / Unfair Treatment And Injustice Against Alhaji Suleiman Kabir / Enough Of This Oppression And Injustice Against Igbo Traders In Lagos State! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Mobinga: 7:17pm On Sep 01, 2010
It is a long journey from the Niger Delta to the concert halls of the United States, but it is one that Nneka is taking in her stride.
Nneka is a Nigerian singer songwriter who is making her name on the world stage and earlier this year released her debut album and tour in the U.S.

At 28, Nneka is a relative newcomer to music. She has only been singing for around five years, but has wasted no time in winning over both fans and critics.

Last year, she won a prestigious MOBO (Music of Black Origin) Award in the UK for Best African Act.

Her work combines soul, hip hop, reggae and African music, but the lyrics have an unashamedly Nigerian tone, covering -- among her themes -- injustice in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

If you speak about corruption or hypocrisy of religious leaders, people don't want to hear that.

"My music is very versatile, very mixed. I have different influences: afro beats, hip hop, reggae, raga, soul, hip hop, a little bit of rock, and of course the indigenous African or Nigerian influence," she told CNN.

Nneka grew up in the city of Warri in the Niger Delta with a Nigerian father and German mother. She went to university in the German city of Hamburg and it was there that her singing career took off.

She told CNN, "When I went to Germany and being in a place where you have no connection, you are confronted in a totally different culture, tradition, mentality.

"You're here on your own, you need to function and that's where music came in," she continued.

It didn't take long for her voice to make an impression in Germany, and she began touring Europe and releasing albums while still at university.
In an interview with the Sunday Times newspaper last year, Nneka said: "In Nigeria, if you say you're a singer, people say, 'So what? Everyone sings.' In Germany, my voice stood out more."

This year, Nneka is touring the United States for the first time, playing venues such as the Los Angeles Troubadour, a West Hollywood club played by Elton John and James Taylor early in their careers.

She has been chosen by American rapper Nas and Jamaican reggae star Damian Marley to join them on their Distant Relatives tour.

"It's not just a tour about entertainment or music alone but about connecting people around the world and making us understand that we're all part of that one entity, which is love," Nneka told CNN. "And I'm happy that I'm the person they chose to represent Africa, which is a big opportunity."

While Nneka is captivating audiences around the world, it is playing in her native Nigeria which is most rewarding -- but also risky -- for her because of the political content of her lyrics.

She said: "I must say I feel responsible for my people. People who might not have the courage to stand up or the opportunity to stand up and speak about things that are very delicate and that people do not want to hear.

"People can identify," she explained, "But at the same time, there are a lot of people, especially the government, who have problems with my speaking my mind or the mind of many.

"If you speak about the exploitation in the Delta, nobody wants to hear that," she continued. "If you speak about corruption or hypocrisy of religious leaders, people don't want to hear those things."

Nneka gives some hint of the background to her passionate lyrics when she describes her upbringing in Warri.

"You can imagine what kind of condition that may be, growing up around pipelines, growing up around people who are very agitated and fighting for their rights, human and civil rights," she told CNN.

"But you know, despite that chaos and the agitation, people still are able to feel comfort and peace within the madness," she continued. "That is actually what has triggered me into going into music and doing music the way I do it."

She does, however, feel hope for the future in her country.

"I noticed that many people are becoming more conscious of their surroundings and more conscious of investing their money in proper institutions and infrastructure," she said.

"So it's like we're getting there, but it's taking time. It will take generations to make the people of Nigeria also understand that it is not just the leaders alone that have to take responsibility, but we ourselves."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/31/nigerian.singer.nneka/

I like this chick  grin
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 7:18pm On Sep 01, 2010
Not the same Nneka who defrauded Inspired?
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Mobinga: 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2010
4 Play:

Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2010
4 Play:

not again
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

not again

Not again. Why are you a tribalist.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by timmy2409(m): 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2010
4 Play:

wtf is 'Inspired'?
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by OboBoco(f): 1:54pm On Sep 02, 2010
4 Play:

no she is not the same one.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 1:55pm On Sep 02, 2010
Obo Boco:

no she is not the same one.

I heard she used Inspired's money to launch her music career. How are you sure it's not the same person?
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 02, 2010
4 Play:

I heard she used Inspired's money to launch her music career. How are you sure it's not the same person?

Chai!, you guyz will soil a new thread with all your uninformed ranting,

Must you always post? angry angry angry

@TOpic

Good for her , atleast we got some  positive rep. on CNN not the usual politicians.

And the truth is that , our problems is not only about leadership but the followership also,
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2010
mdsocks:

Are you one of Nneka's agents? Please tell her to pay back the money and end this her rubbish music career, she can't even sing.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 02, 2010
4 Play:

Are you one of Nneka's agents? Please tell her to pay back the money and end this her rubbish music career, she can't even sing.

If you are so dumb not to understand that not just one person bears Nneka then i will leave you to continue languishing in your self impose stupidity,   

Or maybe i should help a poor fella who has reading problems,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nneka_(singer)

http://www.nnekaworld.com/
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 02, 2010
4play, craze dey do you grin grin
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by AloyEmeka8: 2:15pm On Sep 02, 2010
mdsocks:

If you are so dumb not to understand that not just one person bears Nneka then i will leave you to continue languishing in your self impose stupidity,   

You guys need to chill and have a little sense of humor. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by sbeezy8: 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2010
I think nneka is kinda lame not my type of music.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 2:17pm On Sep 02, 2010
mdsocks:

It's a shame they let you escape from a mental hospital. Why is this Nneka singing when she should be paying back the money she stole from Inspired?

Nnekaworld my as-s. Maybe she wants to pay back the money from her album sales. . . I doubt it.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

You guys need to chill and have a little sense of humor. undecided undecided undecided undecided

I do understand 4 Play, i understand he knows who this Nneka is,,, but to feign ignorance is such a disgusting thing for me,

A beautiful thread such like this and adults playing pranks dosent make sense at all,

If he needs to make some noise, the games and jokes board are full of this , grin
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 02, 2010
Who is taking 4play serious here grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 02, 2010
jennykadry:

Who is taking 4play serious here grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am , someone has to give that ass of his some terrible online spanking cheesy
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 2:24pm On Sep 02, 2010
I swear, you lot are crazy. Instead of encouraging this girl to return the money, you are encouraging her rubbish music career. Tufiakwa!  angry
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2010
LOL
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by gestapo(f): 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2010
mdsocks:

mdsocks:

I do understand 4 Play, i understand he knows who this Nneka is,,, but to feign[b] ignorance is such a disgusting [/b] thing for me,

A beautiful thread such like this and adults playing pranks dosent make sense at all,

If he needs to make some noise, the games and jokes board are full of this , grin

defending an unrepentant thief by deeming Inspired-men the victim's story as uninformed ranting, yet is disgusted and bursting a vein over 4play's ignorance By the words of their mouth and their utterances, ye shall know them cool beautiful thread my lard a.r.s.e undecided    undecided
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 2:47pm On Sep 02, 2010
Mobinga:

"I noticed that many people are becoming more conscious of their surroundings and more conscious of investing their money in proper institutions and infrastructure," she said.

"So it's like we're getting there, but it's taking time. It will take generations to make the people of Nigeria also understand that it is not just the leaders alone that have to take responsibility, but we ourselves."

Nice one
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 02, 2010
gestapo:

defending an unrepentant thief by deeming Inspired-men the victim's story as uninformed ranting, yet is disgusted and bursting a vein over 4play's

ignorance By the words of their mouth and their utterances, ye shall know them cool beautiful thread my lard a.r.s.e undecided    undecided

hmmm, ah!

Miss Crusader, you might wish to apply as inspired's new P.A. , okay?

Next time, dont bring grudges from other thread into a new one,

You owe the forumites the responsibility of discussing issues without ambiguity, if you have issues with me please feel free to open a new thread!

Stop Whinnying in here, wink
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by darqly(m): 2:54pm On Sep 02, 2010
Truth is i never even heard of her till CNN featured her on African Voices. Don't think i'll go outta my way to get her music though.
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Ajike: 3:08pm On Sep 02, 2010
4 Play Are you one of Nneka's agents? Please tell her to pay back the money and end this her rubbish music career, she can't even sing.

she has said it before, Nigerians will never appreciate musician like that. thank God she did not started her career her
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2010
Can you people please respect the girl being discussed here?
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 3:26pm On Sep 02, 2010
It is painful that a thread about the giant strides of Nneka Egbuna, the first Nigerian artist to collaborate with American Rapper, Nas, has been turned into an avenue to display ignorance and crass jealousy. This is not about the Nneka that defrauded a nairalander. Nneka Egbuna is getting popular everyday. Her music is great and she is a good example of what an average Nigerian youth should be. I have written some stories about Nneka on my blog and have taken the time to conduct a proper research on her. Nneka Egbuna keeps her website and Myspace page updated daily. This is what many Nigerian artists fail to do.  It is not important that you should like her music, but it is very difficult no to smiley smiley. The reason why I like Nneka Egbuna is because she chose to identify with Nigeria when she had 1000 reasons to stay away from the country. This is a mixed race lady who has chosen to highlight the problems of the Niger Delta through her music. How many musicians with Nigerian heritage are doing this? We have the likes of Sade Adu, Tunde Baiyewu, Seal, Lemar Obika etc who are not doing much to identify with Nigeria. Yet a lady who has a lot of opportunities in Germany comes along to inspire us to be concerned about our country's destiny and we laugh at her sad sad sad

Nneka speaks intelligently and she has made good use of the opportunities she came across in Europe to launch her career. Let us learn from her to start doing positive things wherever we are located. Nneka Egbuna is on the way to greater things and she might just get that Grammy Award in the near future. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by AloyEmeka8: 3:32pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ajike:

4 Play      Are you one of Nneka's agents? Please tell her to pay back the money and end this her rubbish music career, she can't even sing.

she has said it before, Nigerians will never appreciate musician like that. thank God she did not started her career her

I also believe you should announce to Nigerians that you cannot write English because they may not appreciate your command of the English language. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 3:49pm On Sep 02, 2010
mdsocks:

I do understand 4 Play, i understand he knows who this Nneka is,,, but to feign ignorance is such a disgusting thing for me,

You really need to grow a sense of humour ASAP!

Redman44:

It is painful that a thread about the giant strides of Nneka Egbuna, the first Nigerian artist to collaborate with American Rapper, Nas, has been turned into an avenue to display ignorance and crass jealousy. This is not about the Nneka that defrauded a nairalander. Nneka Egbuna is getting popular everyday. Her music is great and she is a good example of what an average Nigerian youth should be. I have written some stories about Nneka on my blog and have taken the time to conduct a proper research on her. Nneka Egbuna keeps her website and Myspace page updated daily. This is what many Nigerian artists fail to do.  It is not important that you should like her music, but it is very difficult no to smiley smiley. The reason why I like Nneka Egbuna is because she chose to identify with Nigeria when she had 1000 reasons to stay away from the country. This is a mixed race lady who has chosen to highlight the problems of the Niger Delta through her music. How many musicians with Nigerian heritage are doing this? We have the likes of Sade Adu, Tunde Baiyewu, Seal, Lemar Obika etc who are not doing much to identify with Nigeria. Yet a lady who has a lot of opportunities in Germany comes along to inspire us to be concerned about our country's destiny and we laugh at her sad sad sad

Nneka speaks intelligently and she has made good use of the opportunities she came across in Europe to launch her career. Let us learn from her to start doing positive things wherever we are located. Nneka Egbuna is on the way to greater things and she might just get that Grammy Award in the near future. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com

Since when did collaborating with Nas become 'giant strides'?
The same CNN did a piece on Child torture in Nigeria. How many of you even bothered to respond. Only three! And this is for people who are suffering and dying in your own country.
Now that someone collaborates with Nas, you pop out of the woodwork. Nigerians and their misplaced priorities!
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 02, 2010
see as thief don spoil show for nnekas and thick chicks everywhere sad sad sad
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by ada24: 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2010
Redman44:

www.vibes-extra..com

don't really like her music and that has nothing to do with not appreciating different genres just a personal choice - the reason I highlghted those names is cos u made a valid point but need to remember it is much easier for someone that grew up in Nigeria to identify with Nigeria like Nneka. Lemar did not grow up in Nigeria and although he will probably never deny his heritage it is a lot easier to identify with where u grew up. Just thought I would add that.

as for the ignoramuses that continue to hijack this thread with their nonsensical rant about another Nneka (oh yes there is more than 1 Nneka in this world!!!!!!!!) abeg move ur 4-1-9 gist to the appropriate topic in the crime section.

Not in the mood for this today abeg!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: CNN: Singer Nneka Tells World Of Love And Injustice In Nigeria by ada24: 3:56pm On Sep 02, 2010
texazzpete:

You really need to grow a sense of humour ASAP!

Since when did collaborating with Nas become 'giant strides'?
The same CNN did a piece on Child torture in Nigeria. How many of you even bothered to respond. Only three! And this is for people who are suffering and dying in your own country.
Now that someone collaborates with Nas, you pop out of the woodwork. Nigerians and their misplaced priorities!

post the link on child witches abeg - i read that this morning and was disgusted on what the governer of akwa ibom came out and said. i wish to comment on this topic.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Grills Five Ex-nnpc Bosses Over $153m Transfer / 2019:Atiku Consults Afenifere And Pa Ayo Adebanjo(photos) / We Are Not Tapping Telephone Lines Of Nigerian Citizens - DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.