Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,965 members, 7,852,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:45 PM

Our Polity....government By The Minority - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Polity....government By The Minority (254 Views)

Cut All The Expenses Of Every Aspect Of The Government By 60% – Obi Tells FG / Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board / Stop Heating Up The Polity, Okowa Tells Oshiomole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Polity....government By The Minority by citizenY(m): 2:37pm On Mar 11, 2019
After the series of elections, the euphoria and disappointments, it ia time for sober reflection.

Will it be correct to say that the majority did not have a say in the elections?

Think about the following:--

- Our population, total number of voters, accredited voters, votes for or against, valid votes, invalid votes, all reflect that we have a government elected by a minority to govern the majority. Just check the figures, no need to quote them here and I refuse to be joined in divisive issues like spread, religion, party and religion. Let the figures speak.This is the bane of our society and unless we wake up, we shall continue to have a society that goes experiences earth tremors, literally, every four years.

For whatever reason,possibly personal interest our politicians { both professional and those in transit} have not imbibed that ethos that puts the country first in national affairs. We , as citizens have allowed them to set the agenda , to our detriment and in the absence of nothing to offer, they have succeeded in exploiting the cleavages in the polity. In my opinion, the elections were conducted devoid of any agenda. I want to posit that there is a world of difference between and agenda and a manifesto. An agenda should be a permanent set of issues/actions that form the short and long term goals and objectives of our society. A manifesto should be the ways and means to achieve that agenda,together with milestones for good effect. I did not see this in the campaigns.

All I saw was people shouting and wailing like a kangaroo parliament. The inner soul of the Nigerian was absent and that innermost feeling of what we want our country to be, all that you hear i pedestrian stuff.

What is the way forward?

For me.....
1} Sanitize the voters register/ fine tune electoral laws
2} Reduce the number of political parties , , , Moghalu,Ezekwesili et al should be in the Senate , not those jaded governors
3} Each legislative tenure must have an agenda and first on the list must be their allowances, it gives no confidence to me
4} Executive/ legislature must develop and bring back our 5/10 year development plans
5} etc

This discussion piece is just to attract discussion. The blame game should stop now. Please lets have a dispassionate dialogue.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Supplementary Election: CUPP Accuses Kano Of Allocating N223m To Councils / BREAKING: Pdp’s Tambuwal Leads In Sokoto Gov Poll / Aisha Buhari Appeals For Media Support To Eradicate TB From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.