Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,844 members, 7,828,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. (36110 Views)

Is This My CGPA Useless As A Pharmacy Student? / See My CGPA For This Semester, Is It Necessary At All? / See My Cgpa For Level 200 First Semester, Can I still make first class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Toay(m): 11:59am On Mar 13, 2019
ClintonNzedimma:
Is it that Nigerians don't understand common statistics or what, we just like to encourage mediocrity?
The reason you don't see first class graduates at the top echelon of life is because in the bigger scale of things they are the minority. At most 6-9% of Nigerian graduates yearly are first class, 20% are 2.1, The rest are 2.2 and 3rd class. That is to say you are more likely to see a successful 2.2 graduate than a first class because at the top echelon, the first class graduates are still the minority. Do not listen to anyone here telling you bullcrap. Aim higher and succeed. When you graduate you can use 12-16 months to build a sound portfolio before you start working. If you want to be the best ,be the best. I have told you. PS: I am not a first class graduate but a spade is a spade

While I agree with your submission, I think you forgot to encourage the guy on the need to development himself professionally and excert too much energy wanting to graduate top of his class when his first class is almost certain.

1 Like

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by tunize(m): 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2019
Live all this first class thing go get ICAN. An accountant without an ican is not a complete accountant jst a book keeper.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by cnonyechi(f): 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2019
QUESTION
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:01pm On Mar 13, 2019
Toay:

While I agree with your submission, I think you forgot to encourage the guy on the need to development himself professionally and excert too much energy wanting to graduate top of his class when his first class is almost certain.
You clearly saw where I said he can use 12-16 months to build himself in the comment. What do I know, I still live with my parents

1 Like

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:16pm On Mar 13, 2019
DeckXavier:
when you see an intelligent person, you just know.. Nice submission.
Thank you very much
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 13, 2019
xammax:
So am in level 2 going to level 3 and i just saw my cgpa, it's 4.73 and the guy leading my dpartment has 4.84. My dream is to graduate as the best student in my department. So how do i overtake. Am studying accounting.

Rubbish. How do you get your acclaimed 4.73 in the first place. I doubt someone with 4.73 will be asking such senseless questions.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Olumyyde(m): 12:21pm On Mar 13, 2019
Valleys:
@op you don't need first class or to be the best in that your class for you to be relevant in the industry. Just go and register for ICAN and pursue it with your 2/1 then you are good to go. Don't be deceived with first class in accounting.
Why u dey help d guy compute his final result na? OP wan graduate as best student, Na 1st class be dat na, u come dey say 2.1, lol. We all wish u d best OP.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2019
joshuaidibia:
You dey mad ni. 4.73 and you dey complain. I graduated with a third class now I'm working in Total. Grace overtakes a Cgpa of 5.0. You better be grateful my friend. See this man. No just make me find u come school o.

thanks for the advice.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
tunize:
Live all this first class thing go get ICAN. An accountant without an ican is not a complete accountant jst a book keeper.
thanks.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
ericmor:

My first advice for you is to work on maintaining your CGPA and also register for ICAN to make yourself more relevant in the accounting system.

It doesn’t matter if u are a friend to the other person even getting close to the other person to know how he score higher grades than u could distract u and make u drop points self.

Check the courses u are not doing well and try improve on it and if it is courses that are not calculation then improve your words and handwriting and make them more clearly to your lecturers.

Lastly pray to God for more wisdom and understanding and success in life.
Goodluck
thanks for advice.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by safetyzone(m): 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
xammax:
So am in level 2 going to level 3 and i just saw my cgpa, it's 4.73 and the guy leading my dpartment has 4.84. My dream is to graduate as the best student in my department. So how do i overtake. Am studying accounting.
Ha you want to over take him abi? Okay shoot him dead and you will find your self in first position. On ra nu. No go read your book.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:27pm On Mar 13, 2019
hilario12:

Rubbish. How do you get your acclaimed 4.73 in the first place. I doubt someone with 4.73 will be asking such senseless questions.

thanks.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:27pm On Mar 13, 2019
Olumyyde:

Why u dey help d guy compute his final result na? OP wan graduate as best student, Na 1st class be dat na, u come dey say 2.1, lol. We all wish u d best OP.

thanks boss.

1 Like

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Hahjascho(m): 12:31pm On Mar 13, 2019
xammax:
Thanks for the good and bad comments. The said guy is my friend and am not jealous of him, i just want to know how it feels to be leading your department. I know having a high gp doesn't mean anything and does not guarantee you a job after graduation but that doesn't mean i should not read to pass my exams. Am already thinking of life after school.
And please am a small boy(would turn 19 by july), some of your words are too harsh but thanks for your comments anyways.
If you wouldn't mind, that's really an overview of contents of hearts of many NAIRALANDERS and their own side of view borne out of their personal experiences. YOU CAN'T GIVE WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE OR HAVE EXPERIENCED! So, you will have to be selective in the type of comments you take to HEART to avoid loss of motivation and risk of facing depression....I WAS ONCE IN SIMILAR SITUATION YOU ARE NOW, BUT NATURE WORKED IT OUT FOR ME WITHOUT BEING COMPETITIVELY DESPERATE!

Now listen and listen good, let your competition be a healthy one...never ever be desperate.... (grin you hear me so?) because if you do, you will fall deep down in getting motivation beyond where you were ....when a particular goal is not met..... because you have rigidly and realistically believed you goals can't be met......when others who couldn't achieve half of what you've got are all full of sparkling motivations to continue, set higher goals and aim for new but higher target.

Take your eyes away from being the best for now , try engaging him in constructive discussions on your past exams and results. Make yourself someone he can confine trust in and do retrospective studies on each of your past records ask him how he used to write specific answers to each of questions he had answered in previous Exams.

Then, aim at scoring A,s in each of the remaining courses you will be taking..... THAT'S YOUR MAIN GOAL AND BET.....it automatically translates to higher CGPA......and higher chance of not only becoming the best but OVERALL BEST.

But as you maintain a spirited passion coupled with motivation to making higher grades out from school, start drawing out your plans after school.....like SKILLS you will be acquiring, professional certification you will be taking, be humble and good to those those who do not even deserve it in your department and environs.

NEVER EVER BE DISCOURAGED, LIFE IS IN PHASES , YOU CAN ALWAYS ACQUIRE OR LEARN ANY PROFESSIONAL ENTREPRENEURIAL SKILL ANYTIME AND EVEN AFTER SCHOOL, BUT CGPA IS FOREVER AND YOU WILL EVER BE GRATEFUL YOU NEVER GAVE UP.

#Be selective in the type of comments you take to heart.

My 2%

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by ZhugeLiang(m): 12:32pm On Mar 13, 2019
xammax:

Las Las school na scam
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:33pm On Mar 13, 2019
Gbengee:
Please be selective when meeting people for advice, to say the truth first class is somehow overrated in this country. But the fact still remains that first class put you among the most favoured in the job market(check NNPC newly job recruitment criteria), it also open doors of opportunities.

Three of my friends that graduated with sound cgpa (either by cramming or by anything) are enjoying full scholarship in America University (up to PhD level) now with pay of about 850k monthly. So keep it up, don't enter competition with anyone make each semester your best, most importantly along with your stellar performance acquire valuable skill that will make you invaluable graduate. Best of luck

Thank you
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:34pm On Mar 13, 2019
Icon4s:

Son, I like ur competitive spirit and would really be proud of you if you are my biological son.

Don't let anyone deceive you that a good result doesn't mean anything. It means a lot! That is the major essence of you studying hard in school. A good or excellent result is a major first step in life!

Don't worry about the rumors of first class graduates roaming about the streets because there are also a large number who are very successful in life.

I love your spirit. Stay competitive and always strive to be the best in EVERYTHING and at EVERY LEVEL you find yourself. That is how Succesful people are made.

Thank you sir
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Hahjascho(m): 12:34pm On Mar 13, 2019
ZhugeLiang:

Las Las school na scam
No bro......it's based on the type of definition you give "" SCHOOLING "" to be.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:37pm On Mar 13, 2019
Hahjascho:
If you wouldn't mind, that's really an overview of contents of hearts of many NAIRALANDERS and their own side of view borne out of their personal experiences. YOU CAN'T GIVE WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE OR HAVE EXPERIENCED! So, you will have to be selective in the type of comments you take to HEARTS to avoid loss of motivation and risk of facing depression....I WAS ONCE IN SIMILAR SITUATION YOU ARE NOW, BUT NATURE WORKED IT OUT FOR ME WITHOUT BEING COMPETITIVELY DESPERATE!

Now listen and listen good, let your competition be a healthy one...never ever be desperate.... (grin you hear me so?) because if you do, you will fall deep down in getting motivation beyond where you were ....when a particular goal is not met..... because you have rigidly and realistically believed you goals can't be met......when others who couldn't achieve half of what you've got are all full of sparkling motivations to continue, set higher goals and aim for new but higher target.

Take your eyes away from being the best for now , try engaging him in constructive discussions on your past exams and results. Make yourself someone he can confine trust in and do retrospective studies on each of your past records ask him how used to write specific answers to each of questions he had answered in previous Exams.

Then, aim at scoring A,s in each of the remaining courses you will be taking..... THAT'S YOUR MAIN GOAL AND BET.....it automatically translates to higher CGPA......and higher chance of not only becoming the best but OVERALL BEST.

But as you maintain a spirited passion coupled with motivation to making higher grades out from school, start drawing out your plans after school.....like SKILLS you will be acquiring, professional certification you will be taking, be humble and good to those those who do not even deserve it in your department and environs.

NEVER EVER BE DISCOURAGED, LIFE IS IN PHASES , YOU CAN ALWAYS ACQUIRE OR LEARN ANY PROFESSIONAL ENTREPRENEURIAL SKILL ANYTIME AND EVEN AFTER SCHOOL, BUT CGPA IS FOREVER AND YOU WILL EVER BE GRATEFUL YOU NEVER GAVE UP.

#Be selective in the type of comments you take to heart.

My 2%

Thank you very much sir.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 13, 2019
xammax:

thanks.
You are welcome.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:42pm On Mar 13, 2019
kulex2k1:

Thank you, a very sensible person here.. Some are talking out of fraustration, naija has done alot to them so i really dont blame them. But they should give their children those silly advices.. stick to the quoted post above and you will be good.

Thank you, really appreciate.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Gerrard59(m): 12:44pm On Mar 13, 2019
Lots of inane comments and ridiculous posts aimed at discouraging the lad.

True though that the job market is highly competitive and is survival of the fittest, but these factors don't mean individuals in tertiary institutions should be complacent towards their studies. Rather, they should strive to achieve the best. Xammax, my advice is:

- Ensure you get As till you graduate

- Don't envy your competitor (the lads I competed with were my best friends in school and till now)

- Don't bother to know his grades. Your focus should be to finish excellently every semester ditto session. Don't be like Liverpool that hopes for Manchester City to fail so they can win the EPL.

- Attend EVERY class unless for unforeseen circumstances and keep good relationships with your lecturers and everyone in class.

- Eat nutritiously and exercise periodically. Also, keep abreast with the latest developments in the industry.

- To achieve this aim, don't attempt ICAN presently (I don't know your capacity but it will be stressful running both concurrently). Rather apply for a scholarship afterwards and get exempted for the Foundation Level.

- Don't mind folks who yap about third class graduates "working in oil firms" or "managing big enterprises (yet to see one)" or "employing first class graduates (why did they not employ their fellow third class fellows?)". There is nothing wrong in competing with anyone, it brings out the best in you.

- After your program, you can take aim at different professional certifications depending on your financial capability (ICAN, ACCA, CFA, CIS etc). Better still, you can combine the CFA Foundation Program (this is easier to combine than ICAN) as you progress.

Regarding job search, prepare for Workforce, Dragnet, SHL and GMAT. Be informed of openings and tricks involved (there are lots of them these days). Apply to audit/financial services/corporate firms and prep very well for their test 'cos some allow candidates to write it once as an entry level individual. Additionally, you have age on your side, so you are not only opportuned to apply to ANY opening (ask TGI and Dufil Prima Foods) but lucky to be on the right side regarding the age cap during entry level applications (average of 26).

True story: I know a lad who is a first class grad of Economics from UNN and got a job in one of the big 4 before he finished NYSC. Dude also got sponsored by ICAN authorities to write the diets. And trust me, there are many of such folks. Just finish well, prep for aptitude tests and the sky is your starting point.

Best wishes!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by xammax(m): 12:52pm On Mar 13, 2019
jaybanky:

Good is d greatest enemy of best... Take away d fact that u want to overtake me.. Do well in ur CA, Attendance and final Get d Needed scores in ur Exams dat will give u A's after d total summation of scores from Attendance+CA+Exam

Thanks boss. I don't know why people are taking this out of context. Hope i didn't offend you.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by adanny01(m): 1:02pm On Mar 13, 2019
Dvd4:
Congrats! It's not C.G.P.A yet, it's G.P. By the way, which school?

By the Nigerian curriculum someone going to 300l you are talking of GPA is not appropriate at all. Did he tell you he saw his 1st semester 100l results?

If he is going to 300l that means he has written 4 exams. The results cumulatively is called CGPA. There is no point op can be comparing himself with another with just a GPA after 2 sessions.

Back to op, after 4 of 8 results and have a 4.78 CGPA, you should only concern yourself on graduating with first class unless the other guy drops by some unforeseen reasons.
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Admitwithschola: 1:05pm On Mar 13, 2019
OneCorner:
Go and learn trade

Lol - you are just funny

OP, don't learn any trade if you're not cut out for it. Don't. With your academic excellence, you can be financially successful - if that's what you want..But you have to be smart about your decisions. I like your ambition...Think less of the other guy, try to. Instead, focus on getting a 5/5 in the rest semester. You have no business with people; your business is with the grade scale 0-5, and you want to be as close to 5 as possible.

Read my post here - https://www.nairaland.com/5071892/freelance-writers-wanted

When you're in year 4 and have anything 4.7 and above, contact me again...We make dreams come true - free of charge of course. But you must meet our requirements

Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Admitwithschola: 1:08pm On Mar 13, 2019
Gerrard59:
Lots of inane comments and ridiculous posts aimed at discouraging the lad.

True though that the job market is highly competitive and is survival of the fittest, but these factors don't mean individuals in tertiary institutions should be complacent towards their studies. Rather, they should strive to achieve the best. Xammax, my advice is:

- Ensure you get As till you graduate

- Don't envy your competitor (the lads I competed with were my best friends in school and till now)

- Don't bother to know his grades. Your focus should be to finish excellently every semester ditto session. Don't be like Liverpool that hopes for Manchester City to fail so they can win the EPL.

- Attend EVERY class unless for unforeseen circumstances and keep good relationships with your lecturers and everyone in class.

- Eat nutritiously and exercise periodically. Also, keep abreast with the latest developments in the industry.

- To achieve this aim, don't attempt ICAN presently (I don't know your capacity but it will be stressful running both concurrently). Rather apply for a scholarship afterwards and get exempted for the Foundation Level.

- Don't mind folks who yap about third class graduates "working in oil firms" or "managing big enterprises (yet to see one)" or "employing first class graduates (why did they not employ their fellow third class fellows?)". There is nothing wrong in competing with anyone, it brings out the best in you.

- After your program, you can take aim at different professional certifications depending on your financial capability (ICAN, ACCA, CFA, CIS etc). Better still, you can combine the CFA Foundation Program (this is easier to combine than ICAN) as you progress.

Regarding job search, prepare for Workforce, Dragnet, SHL and GMAT. Be informed of openings and tricks involved (there are lots of them these days). Apply to audit/financial services/corporate firms and prep very well for their test 'cos some allow candidates to write it once as an entry level individual. Additionally, you have age on your side, so you are not only opportuned to apply to ANY opening (ask TGI and Dufil Prima Foods) but lucky to be on the right side regarding the age cap during entry level applications (average of 26).

True story: I know a lad who is a first class grad of Economics from UNN and got a job in one of the big 4 before he finished NYSC. Dude also got sponsored by ICAN authorities to write the diets. And trust me, there are many of such folks. Just finish well, prep for aptitude tests and the sky is your starting point.

Best wishes!

I like your post..Didn't see this before posting mine.

Indeed, the competition is with the GPA scale, really. Not with somebody. If it becomes with somebody, then it would become someone is trying to wish another person bad luck because of some short term competition..OP, don't fall into this unhealthy web
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Teddiie(f): 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
[quote author=sexymoma post=76612500][b]So nobody fit tell this guy true talk
Mr Man the cloud is big enough for birds to fly
Where is that headboy in your secondary school
Where is your class captain sef
you better start praying to see favor after graduating.... you re here typing payan
you just dey envy the guy ni.. Nothing more
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by breakeven: 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2019
OneCorner:
It’s people like u dat normally end up as lesson teacher or graduate selling puff puff
And people will now be saying, and he knows book oo
Lol!!! So it has become a crime to know book in Nigeria. Ofone. grin angry grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by LucemFerre: 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2019
OneCorner:
Go and learn trade

You first me talk am cheesy

This is the best advice anyone can give you in Nigeria

Smfh... Kids these days sef
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Tobyno44(m): 2:53pm On Mar 13, 2019
Merits no longer pays in Nigeria my broda better double your hustle
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Baselm: 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2019
bettercreature:
Yes most student read to pass not to understand what they are studying.If you are brilliant its 100% certain you will find a job in this Nigeria as bad as its today

It is not 100% certain,in fact it is not 50% certain you will get a dream job
Re: Just Saw My Cgpa, What Are My Chances. by Timisamd(m): 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2019
Pruwa:
Study hard!!!
And try and be friends with him to teach how he does it
But hope u have a side hustle too
[s]Because there is no assurance of a job after school these days[/s]
That not what he asked ... He want to be the BGS ..not asking you about job...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Check Out This Number Five Question From UNIUYO Philosophy Exam / OAU NASU Celebrates Omole's Exit From Office Today / Zambian School Boy Trapped In A Tree Cleft While Playing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.