Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,723 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

How To Get Home Safely After Drinking - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Get Home Safely After Drinking (17013 Views)

Tips To Safely Sell A Car And Buses Online On Free Advert Site / Don't Drink And Drive, Drive Safely / How To Safely Drive In Windy Weather (2) (3) (4)

How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by autojosh: 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2019
Each year, thousands of car accidents involving drunk drivers are recorded.

In 2007 alone, about 13,000 careless deaths from fatal car accidents involving drunk drivers were recorded.

This makes drunk driving one of the top causes of automobile accidents.

Alcohol and other drugs slow your reflexes, reduce coordination and increase risk-taking behaviour, etc. Each of these makes a car-crash more likely.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights account for more than one-third of fatal drink driving car accidents. And they usually happen between the hours of 9 pm and 3 am.

Within that social period, chances of an alcohol-related auto crash are much higher than any other time of the week.

After a drinking spree, or an indulgence in recreational drugs, how does one prevent an auto-mishap?

Autojosh.com highlights some strategies that one can apply in order to arrive home safe and avoid alcohol-related car accidents.

1. Leave your car at home

Take a mode of public transport to the venue of the happy hour. Leaving your car behind is a guarantee that you will not be in a car crash. Well, that is except you did not opt for an equally inebriated driver to take you home.

2. Walk home

If your home is within a walkable distance, then walk home. One benefit of this is that, walking tends to help wear out the alcohol in your system. However, be wary of some risk that comes with a drunk pedestrian.

Walking home with a friend or two is also a great idea. Besides, it is a way to get some exercise and possibly sober up a little to reduce the next day headache.

3. Plan ahead

Before heading out for a drinking session, make plans ahead, on how you intend to come back home. Think of safe alternatives to you driving home. Then opt for any of them.

4. Get A Ride-Share App (Uber, Taxify, Oga Taxi, etc)

Use a ride-share app to request a ride to the venue and back. Apart from the convenience, this is a safer option for driving home yourself. Requesting for a ride on any of these platforms minimizes the risk of being taken advantage of, cheated on the fare, or even getting robbed by the driver.

5. Go with a sober driver

If you are sure that you will be too drunk to drive home, then take along a sober driver that will drive you back home.

6. Get a lift with someone who has not been drinking or using drugs

Ask for a lift from someone at the venue who did not participate in the drinking or indulgence in recreational drugs.

7. Avoid crossing major expressways

Never cross a major expressway, especially the ones that are unsafe or illegal to do so. If there is a pedestrian bridge around you, use it. Take extra caution on roads with a speed limit higher than 30 mph.

8. Leave Your car behind at the bar or drinking venue

If it an unplanned visit to a bar, lounge or other drinking places, especially one that you are very familiar with, you can leave your car there, if you feel too tipsy to drive.

9. Wear a Reflective or bright-coloured clothe

If you intend to walk back home, wear a bright-coloured cloth or keep a reflective gear in your bag just in case. This is to minimize getting knocked down by a car that wasn’t able to pick you out on time in the dark.

10. Stay at a friend’s house

If you are feeling to inebriated to drive home, then stay over at a friend’s house that is not too far from the venue of the rendezvous.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/how-to-get-home-safely-after-drinking/

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by autojosh: 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2019
Also from Autojosh, Read about:

10 Cars That Are More Expensive Than A Jet, click HERE

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:04pm On Mar 18, 2019
Drunkards be like.....

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by chidi2pus(m): 2:04pm On Mar 18, 2019
Wear a reflective vest so they can pick you up

LOL grin

Meaning, police, Sars, armed robbers or kidnappers can pick you up like beans

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:04pm On Mar 18, 2019
If you are sure that you will be too drunk to drive home, then take along a sober driver that will drive you back home.
Sober driver : someone that will sit down and look at you while you are drinking and chopping Nkwobi all night.
That must be a very hard and sad occupation!
That must be the most difficult job in the world!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by slawomir: 2:05pm On Mar 18, 2019
Alcohol !!!

Wetin alcohol don do me ehnnnnnn

You don ever drink and high to the extent that when the beer begin use you ehnnnnn you go dey pray say if God rescue you from that inebriated state that particular moment that you promise you will never go back to alcohol again
But last last after your eye don clear that night you go still high beer again anytime you see am.
Wetin alcohol dey do us for Benin city. Because na that one we dey use our money do.
I don high ehnnnnnn. Only to wake up for bath room the next day morning and water don finish for tank. Na them my sister begin tell me say as i enter house that night i nor greet anybody i just go bath room go dey vomit then on shower put for body na so day take break

Abi na the one when I for pay for keke napep!
Remember one evening when me and my cousin don high finish. We begin drive dey come house. Dey cruise dey come house with my uncle new lexus 350 And sapele road for Benin city dey always sweet to drive once you don high. Infact drinking and driving dey somehow sweet ehnnnnn.
As we reach pz junction na gboooooooo. O boy wetin i see I don jam one keke napep plus one small girl when dey inside. Them rush the girl go hospital. Area boys be don use blow finish us o
At last the keke napep say me must pay for he keke napep
I ask how much he say na six hundred thousand
Heeeeeeeeeeeee! Na im i hold head. Na that day i know say keke napep dey cost
Like play like play the man nor green make i repair am. He say I must buy new one
At last I pay the idiot the full cash for new keke napep
I regret that night sha

The thing be say something must kill a man and man nor dey rest for boozing matter

16 Likes

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by ElFabchuks(m): 2:05pm On Mar 18, 2019
Great tips. Stay safe out there
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Kingpee2(m): 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2019
Really?how do you remember when to keep these commandments when you are totally high ?

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by babyfaceafrica: 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2019
lpl
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by PassiveNaira: 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2019
Safe journey is not for a drunk driver. If he gets home, he will surely must have caused havoc.
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by hisexcellency34: 2:07pm On Mar 18, 2019
Bad article. Dont ever encourage drink driving

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Namdeenero(m): 2:07pm On Mar 18, 2019
Number 5 no bad.. Go in groups, there must be one person who's not a drunkard among y'all that can easily take y'all drunk ass home safely angry

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by teleemar: 2:07pm On Mar 18, 2019
intresting
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by CreamyBanana(m): 2:08pm On Mar 18, 2019
throughout university, na me dey always be sober driver for my friends. anybody go drive go bar but na always me dey drive us back home. the highest i dey drink na 1 big stout and one small stout. but my friends go don waste crates sotey some of them no go even remember their names. grin

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by saydfact(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2019
Which kind post be this one now

and what is NO6 encouraging?
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by woodrow(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2019
Leave your car behind at the drinking venue
Except the car is not a Toyota corolla.

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Decrypter: 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2019
Or just drive home.

A lot of people don't have issues getting home, they'll get home but them no go fit enter inside house.

It's either you sleep in the car in front of your gate or you sleep in the gutter in front of your gate.

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by iyayip(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2019
you try
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Nonnyflex(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2019
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by seyigiggle: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
funny!
Sure way to know a drunk addict is how often their cars get damaged cheesy
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
After all the Jargons, my own is simple. "No drink pass ur guage" shikina!

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Sunsets: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
We don't have issues with this right now. Please research on "How to Still Have Your Clothes on after Drinking"
autojosh:
Each year, thousands of car accidents involving drunk drivers are recorded.

In 2007 alone, about 13,000 careless deaths from fatal car accidents involving drunk drivers were recorded.

This makes drunk driving one of the top causes of automobile accidents.

Alcohol and other drugs slow your reflexes, reduce coordination and increase risk-taking behaviour, etc. Each of these makes a car-crash more likely.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights account for more than one-third of fatal drink driving car accidents. And they usually happen between the hours of 9 pm and 3 am.

Within that social period, chances of an alcohol-related auto crash are much higher than any other time of the week.

After a drinking spree, or an indulgence in recreational drugs, how does one prevent an auto-mishap?

Autojosh.com highlights some strategies that one can apply in order to arrive home safe and avoid alcohol-related car accidents.

1. Leave your car at home

Take a mode of public transport to the venue of the happy hour. Leaving your car behind is a guarantee that you will not be in a car crash. Well, that is except you did not opt for an equally inebriated driver to take you home.

2. Walk home

If your home is within a walkable distance, then walk home. One benefit of this is that, walking tends to help wear out the alcohol in your system. However, be wary of some risk that comes with a drunk pedestrian.

Walking home with a friend or two is also a great idea. Besides, it is a way to get some exercise and possibly sober up a little to reduce the next day headache.

3. Plan ahead

Before heading out for a drinking session, make plans ahead, on how you intend to come back home. Think of safe alternatives to you driving home. Then opt for any of them.

4. Get A Ride-Share App (Uber, Taxify, Oga Taxi, etc)

Use a ride-share app to request a ride to the venue and back. Apart from the convenience, this is a safer option for driving home yourself. Requesting for a ride on any of these platforms minimizes the risk of being taken advantage of, cheated on the fare, or even getting robbed by the driver.

5. Go with a sober driver

6. Get a lift with someone who has not been drinking or using drugs

Ask for a lift from someone at the venue who did not participate in the drinking or indulgence in recreational drugs.

7. Avoid crossing major expressways

Never cross a major expressway, especially the ones that are unsafe or illegal to do so. If there is a pedestrian bridge around you, use it. Take extra caution on roads with a speed limit higher than 30 mph.

8. Leave Your car behind at the bar or drinking venue

If it an unplanned visit to a bar, lounge or other drinking places, especially one that you are very familiar with, you can leave your car there, if you feel too tipsy to drive.

9. Wear a Reflective or bright-coloured clothe

If you intend to walk back home, wear a bright-coloured cloth or keep a reflective gear in your bag just in case. This is to minimize getting knocked down by a car that wasn’t able to pick you out on time in the dark.

10. Stay at a friend’s house

If you are feeling to inebriated to drive home, then stay over at a friend’s house that is not too far from the venue of the rendezvous.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/how-to-get-home-safely-after-drinking/

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by themosthigh: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
Don’t drink.

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Herbephe1(m): 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
some write-ups are not worth reading,...
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by helinues: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by brendan007: 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2019
Too much work after getting drunk. Not worth the trouble. Stay sober guys.

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by chrisxxx(m): 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2019
werr
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by theoldpretender(m): 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2019
post=76765136:
Drunkards be like.....

Seeing that picture reminds me of many patients I helped treat...drank lots of alcohol, ended up in hospital with livers on their last legs. Some passed on, of course.

Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by JayNeyoMottos: 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2019
Re: How To Get Home Safely After Drinking by Uyi168: 2:16pm On Mar 18, 2019
post=76765136:
Drunkards be like.....
.. shocked

Honda Confirms It’s Dropping The Accord Coupe / Hyundai And Kia To Recall 240,000 Cars Over Whistleblower Complaint / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles