Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,417 members, 7,830,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (3015 Views)

How Are People That Fall In This Category Able To Travel Abroad? / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 18, 2019
embarassed

When they are in their shit holes, they pray day and night, make vows, pay tithes, visit aladuras but as soon as they travel abroad, they hardly go to church or places of worship.

What could be the cause

lalasticlacla, dominique, ishilove, justwise, DisGuy

1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by OyinbowithaTan(m): 10:41pm On Mar 18, 2019
Maybe their home church denomination is not located where they travel to, tight travel schedule?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:02pm On Mar 18, 2019
when people get to the real world. they understand that hard work is the only salvation....and they dont need to bribe some fraudster in robe for hopes of success.

20 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by sharpman1(m): 11:12pm On Mar 18, 2019
The reasons are as follows:

1. A lot of Nigerians are religious because of the material benefit they hope to get as a result.

2. In Nigeria, these benefits are difficult to obtain so they seem to need additional spiritual power to obtain these benefits. E.g. One needs to pray before they get a job, buy a car, pass an exam, get married, etc.

3. It is believed that some negative supernatural forces will attempt to stop you from achieving these objectives.

4. Once they travel, they find out that some of these benefits can be easily gotten with a little dedication and hard work.

5. Since the only motivation to them for being religious is the material benefits.....their TRUE color shows and we then see their real face.

19 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by GOFRONT(m): 11:13pm On Mar 18, 2019
Religion and poverty are dating.......Daddy Frz

Besides, the invasion and manifestation of village peoples' ( Enemies of progress) is minimal overseas....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Larryfest(m): 11:13pm On Mar 18, 2019
A guy was always having horrible nightmares so he told his pastor about it and each time he does the pastor will pray for him yet the nightmares didn't stop and this made the pastor more confused so on a particular day the guy came to pastor again for pray but this time all the pastor did was to ask him this questions...
1. Do you have a TV set or any entertainment gadget in your room? he replied No
2. Do you even have a fan or an AC? he replied NO
3. Do you even eat well at night before sleeping? he replied saying NOT really
After this the pastor gave him some money to arrange his room which he did and after a week the pastor asked him if he is still having those horrible nightmares he replied NO...
Can we now see how the nightmares came about
The basic essentials of life is very difficult to acquire in this country compared to the Western world...
The only thing free and easy in this country is fasting and prayer.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 18, 2019
Its simple. Most of the things we fast and pray to get here are easily provided over there without stress. You go to work and return home , still meet your things the way you left it. The 3 basic needs of life namely, clothing, food and shelter are easily catered for. You hardly fall sick because your environment is clean. You set time to get to your destination and you are there quite on time. Nobody cares how you live your life, no witches no wizard and nobody cares how you live your life.

Whereas, the reverse is the case back home.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 11:27pm On Mar 18, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
when people get to the real world. they understand that hard work is the only salvation....and they dont need to bribe some fraudster in robe for hopes of success.
In as much as everyone is entitled to their view, stop generalizing principles!!!
If hardwork was the "only" way to Success many people around you would have become millionaires!!
Hardwoek works, but you can't claim that it's all people need to succeed!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:41pm On Mar 18, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

In as much as everyone is entitled to their view, stop generalizing principles!!!
If hardwork was the "only" way to Success many people around you would have become millionaires!!
Hardwoek works, but you can't claim that it's all people need to succeed!!

sadly, the problem with people like yourself is that you solely view "success" as being a millionaire... while to most in the real world, having a home you can call your own AND a well-paying job so that you can take care of yourself and needs, is all that is needed.
many people, living real lives, aint millionaires yet are happy and content with their lives and family's. stop trying to live the BS lives of the rich and famous yeyebrities you see on TV!

btw pls do show me where it says in your holy book that "being a millionaire" is the only way to live life?!?!?!?! you people are the reason these fraudsters in robe can defraud you....keep hoping for success (or gullible riches) without hardwork!

16 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by overseasnbeyond: 1:26am On Mar 19, 2019
OkaNaUbe:
embarassed

When they are in their shit holes, they pray day and night, make vows, pay tithes, visit aladuras but as soon as they travel abroad, they hardly go to church or places of worship.

What could be the cause

lalasticlacla, mynd44, dominique, ishilove, justwise, DisGuy
Sometimes you want to go to church on Sunday but when you remember your bills and and quick transformation to the street with no roof on top of your head! you will prefer to put in the hour and pray in your room. My pastor's work not relying on my tithe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by calculator123(m): 1:40am On Mar 19, 2019
They simply realize prayer changes nothing but hard work and sheer determination to succeed does

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by peacengine(m): 5:55am On Mar 19, 2019
OkaNaUbe:
embarassed

What could be the cos

Guy go sleep angry
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jesmond3945: 7:38am On Mar 19, 2019
I agree with people on this thread but there is another demon overseas callled depression which is caused by a lot of things especially if you are a black man in a white space. In Nigeria our issue is frustration caused by lack of basic things of living while in abroad their issue is depression caused by loneliness, social exclusion and racial discrimination. So no matter where you are, you still need your maker. If not why are there so many churches in America. In Nigeria people need church for material things while in America people and europe people need church for comfort and emotional wellbeing. The common thing ib both is the pursuit of happiness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 19, 2019
When you travel abroad, you'll know that time is everything. You don't pay bills with favour or grace as Nigerian pastors tell you but with money from hardwork.
You'll begin to see things as they are and not as pastors tell you. One of my aunties was complaining to my mother not to allow me migrate to the US years ago and her reason was that they would give me the mark of 666. Last year, that my aunt was very sick, I brought her here for a surgery and today, she is thanking God that I live abroad. She has suddenly forgotten 666. I reminded her of the 666 and she simply said, nwam rapu (my son, forget) and I laughed.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Twizzy30(m): 9:07am On Mar 19, 2019
Because that's a place where things work.
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by otipoju(m): 10:48am On Mar 19, 2019
sharpman1:
The reasons are as follows:

1. A lot of Nigerians are religious because of the material benefit they hope to get as a result.

2. In Nigeria, these benefits are difficult to obtain so they seem to need additional spiritual power to obtain these benefits. E.g. One needs to pray before they get a job, buy a car, pass an exam, get married, etc.

3. It is believed that some negative supernatural forces will attempt to stop you from achieving these objectives.

4. Once they travel, they find out that some of these benefits can be easily gotten with a little dedication and hard work.

5. Since the only motivation to them for being religious is the material benefits.....their TRUE color shows and we then see their real face.

You could not have said it better. I once trying to prove the existence of God to my white housemates by saying he answered my prayers when i fasted for a visa.

Na that day i know say US passport does not need visa to enter many countries....she said it might just be probability.

I think it is a universal trait and at the core of the issue is comfort...hardship makes people run to God for help. There are many church attendees but not many disciples.

Even in the bible its recorded that when Israel ate and were satisfied..they forgot God. Hosea 13 verse 6.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by queengift(f): 11:19am On Mar 19, 2019
Environmental factors, Africans are religious in nature, if you don't attend church or mosque services, they see the individual as a witch or being evil, unlike in developed countries.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by sharpman1(m): 12:35pm On Mar 19, 2019
otipoju:

You could not have said it better. I once trying to prove the existence of God to my white housemates by saying he answered my prayers when i fasted for a visa.

Na that day i know say US passport does not need visa to enter many countries....she said it might just be probability.

I think it is a universal trait and at the core of the issue is comfort...hardship makes people run to God for help. There are many church attendees but not many disciples.

Even in the bible its recorded that when Israel ate and were satisfied..they forgot God. Hosea 13 verse 6.

True.

A typical Nigerian is religious because he/she wants to get blessed and protected.

A religious American (for instance), is religious because he/she seeks knowledge or 'just because'.
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 1:56pm On Mar 19, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

sadly, the problem with people like yourself is that you solely view "success" as being a millionaire... while to most in the real world, having a home you can call your own AND a well-paying job so that you can take care of yourself and needs, is all that is needed.
many people, living real lives, aint millionaires yet are happy and content with their lives and family's. stop trying to live the BS lives of the rich and famous yeyebrities you see on TV!

btw pls do show me where it says in your holy book that "being a millionaire" is the only way to live life?!?!?!?! you people are the reason these fraudsters in robe can defraud you....keep hoping for success (or gullible riches) without hardwork!
As much as I mentioned being a Millionaire doesn't mean I believe only financially buoyant people are successful.
Many have worked hard, yet lack Insight, foresight,A sense of purpose or direction and due to such have made wrong decisions in their life and career, lived with regrets and the likes.
God doesn't encourage laziness!!
As much as your hands work your brain should also work...
Many have achieved feats courtesy of a little guidance from God.
Insight and foresight can be God inspired or natural.
Either ways hardwork without optimizing your brains potential can be wasteful!!
Peace.
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:53pm On Mar 19, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

As much as I mentioned being a Millionaire doesn't mean I believe only financially buoyant people are successful.
Many have worked hard, yet lack Insight, foresight,A sense of purpose or direction and due to such have made wrong decisions in their life and career, lived with regrets and the likes.
God doesn't encourage laziness!!
As much as your hands work your brain should also work...
Many have achieved feats courtesy of a little guidance from God.
Insight and foresight can be God inspired or natural.
Either ways hardwork without optimizing your brains potential can be wasteful!!
Peace.

what has the above gibberish NONSENSE got to do with anything we are talking about?!?!?!?!?!?!? or maybe you have English comprehension issues?!?!?!?!?!? bro, if you have absolutely nothing to say on this issue then best to not say anything than to write the above garbage.

ok since you have nothing to say, let me rephrase what i wrote, as if i was talking to a 5yr old...

- is it difficult for a hardworking man to get any job abroad?
- can that hardworking man provide for all his family's needs (aka shelter/food/education/clothing etc) thanks to that said job?
- if ANY man can provide for the wellbeing of his family (aka shelter/food/education/clothing etc), isnt that man a successful man?
- now tell us all how the above 3 points have anything remotely to do with the gibberish nonsense you wrote above?

so as i said earlier, i will say it again: hardwork is the only salvation abroad AND the only way to succeed... and going to church every sunday has nothing to do with it!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Joyboy1(m): 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
Because there PROBLEMS are over

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2019
Joyboy1:
Because there PROBLEMS are over
Seriously?
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 10:47pm On Mar 20, 2019
jesmond3945:
I agree with people on this thread but there is another demon overseas callled depression which is caused by a lot of things especially if you are a black man in a white space. In Nigeria our issue is frustration caused by lack of basic things of living while in abroad their issue is depression caused by loneliness, social exclusion and racial discrimination. So no matter where you are, you still need your maker. If not why are there so many churches in America. In Nigeria people need church for material things while in America people and europe people need church for comfort and emotional wellbeing. The common thing ib both is the pursuit of happiness.

that's another interesting angle to this

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 10:48pm On Mar 20, 2019
sharpman1:

True.

A typical Nigerian is religious because he/she wants to get blessed and protected.

A religious American (for instance), is religious because he/she seeks knowledge or 'just because'.

that's true

But there are still religious pple who are wel off in Nigeria tho
Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Clefayomide: 9:29am On Mar 25, 2019
This is so true!!!
I remember during last year's cross over night in one of the living faith church branch. As it's always a tradition in living faith churches to display a live TV showing people from other parts of the world observing the cross over too. It showed people in the USA, Canada and other parts and I was shocked at the tiny number of people present in those churches. It display a particular branch in the US (Georgia I think), I just opened my mouth in shock, and i start to ask myself, do this people even believe in God? Like how can a church be this empty, not on a normal Sunday service ooo, but on a Cross over night. Seats were all empty, and the tiny people that were even present were all Blacks(i guess the ones that still believes there are village people in obodo oyibo lol). And when the TV displayed some part of Africa like South Africa, Tanzania and the likes, lmao you need to see the crowd (you might think it's Lagos carnival going on there).

Pls nairalanders abroad, how is the religious life like in your various locations?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Lexusgs430: 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2019
They become more enlightened, and see religion in the true light it is...........

One big fraud.......

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Kunleayo: 10:06pm On Mar 26, 2019
Hello Guys,

I will like to add some simple facts, based on my personal experience.

I migrated to Canada Mid-2018, before then I won't deny it, I attend church service 2ice a week (Wednesday & Sunday) and still the special service on 1st Saturday of the month. Some people will know the church I attend by now.

I understand God first before anything, Yes God First. When you have prayed to God, you also have to put in effort (work) in order for the answered prayers to manifest. Which is very normal. Some people get carried away with the amount of money they are able to gather within the shortest period and these in turn will tell, when they have worked all through the week and they are too tired to go to church on Sunday. Hence, the frequency in church service starts to reduce. BOOM.

Personal, my attendance in church has reduced and seeing this thread actually touched me. How this all happened, I don't know but the truth is, expect you are a pastor/imam and a strong devoted Christian/Muslim, you will surely fall into the same situation.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by oluayebenz: 2:27pm On Mar 27, 2019
The truth of the matter is Africans are lazy.
We only believe in miracle.

Developed countries believed in hard work and smartness.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by amdman: 4:24am On Mar 28, 2019
Kunleayo:
Hello Guys,

I will like to add some simple facts, based on my personal experience.

I migrated to Canada Mid-2018, before then I won't deny it, I attend church service 2ice a week (Wednesday & Sunday) and still the special service on 1st Saturday of the month. Some people will know the church I attend by now.

I understand God first before anything, Yes God First. When you have prayed to God, you also have to put in effort (work) in order for the answered prayers to manifest. Which is very normal. Some people get carried away with the amount of money they are able to gather within the shortest period and these in turn will tell, when they have worked all through the week and they are too tired to go to church on Sunday. Hence, the frequency in church service starts to reduce. BOOM.

Personal, my attendance in church has reduced and seeing this thread actually touched me. How this all happened, I don't know but the truth is, expect you are a pastor/imam and a strong devoted Christian/Muslim, you will surely fall into the same situation.

As someone that also moved to Canada recently, I understand how maintaining the consistency of your faith as it was can be a challenge. I must however encourage you to fight for your faith and refuse to let the comfort of our land of sojourn become a challenge to your faith. In truth, there is a lot we can achieve via hardwork, but there is a higher purpose for our lives. There is a difference that we have been called to make that transcends dollars and naira, and if we do not stand guard, our faith would gradually grow cold.

As a child, I wondered why the children of Israel would suddenly turn their backs on God when they began to live in some measure of comfort, and then turn back in repentance whenever calamity strikes. However, that is exactly what plays out when you move to a place with a system that works. You find that as an ex-lagosian, you no longer have to pray for the roads to be traffic-free, the dangers of danfo are now history, you sleep and wake in peace and security, you don't pray for power supply and swear at mosquitoes... even 'village people' appear to be on leave... but our faith in God is not about these things. Our faith is based on this relationship wherein we can call Him 'Father', and the witness in our spirit that we are the sons of God. So I commend you not to forsake the assembly of the righteous, but to stand fast in the liberty in which Christ has made you free.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by amdman: 4:33am On Mar 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:
They become more enlightened, and see religion in the true light it is...........

One big fraud.......

Yet when that same 'enlightened' soul loses everything or is struck by some incurable disease, he finds that all the things he had replaced God with are vain and empty. In the privacy of his heart, he feels this void and emptiness, and the meaninglessness of all his struggles. He screams there is no God, he insists that if there is one, He must be sadistic, wicked and humourless. Yet lying on his death bed, he realizes that the one thing he is not sure of is WHAT NEXT! At that point, many cry out to God. What a life of missed opportunities.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Lexusgs430: 7:23am On Mar 28, 2019
amdman:

Yet when that same 'enlightened' soul loses everything or is struck by some incurable disease, he finds that all the things he had replaced God with are vain and empty. In the privacy of his heart, he feels this void and emptiness, and the meaninglessness of all his struggles. He screams there is no God, he insists that if there is one, He must be sadistic, wicked and humourless. Yet lying on his death bed, he realizes that the one thing he is not sure of is WHAT NEXT! At that point, many cry out to God. What a life of missed opportunities.

You say?.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by EMEKUSBOY9(m): 8:05am On Mar 28, 2019
People should also know that hardwork does not stop death, the air u breath is not made by white men or "American dollars" is made by God... What am trying to say is that material things are not the only reason you go to church, and they are things prayer will do for you that money will not do. have you asked yourself why this "white people " come to worship in Nigeria and Africa ? . Am not pastor or a saith but just to let you people know that everything is not about money and material things.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Virgin Nigeria Online Booking Gotchas (read The Small Print) / See The Beautiful Female Pilot Killed In The Fatal Brazillian Plane Crash(photo) / Please Help Me I Am Feeling Depressed, Frustrated And Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.