Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,695 members, 7,851,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:06 PM

Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration (1971 Views)

How Ojukwu Was Humiliated By The Igbos / Youwin: Dailytrust/actionaid Humiliated By Youwin Winners(pics) / Former President Obasanjo Humiliated By Fayose At Oyinlola's Thanksgiving Event (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by AloyEmeka8: 1:23am On Sep 07, 2010
Obasanjo: I Was Humiliated In Canada

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=obasanjo_426336219.jpg&size=article_small[/img]
Olusegun Obasanjo.
Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo has narrated how he was humiliated in Canada while on a visit.

According to Obasanjo who was speaking at a forum in Ghana at the weekend, he was kept waiting for over three hours by immigration officials.

He said the reason for the delay was that he told the officials, who did not recognise him as former president of Nigeria, that he was a farmer when they asked him to introduce himself.

Obasanjo said because farmers are not held in high esteem in Canada, they asked him to step aside and he was left waiting for over three hours before his friend that he visited came to his rescue.

He said when his friend asked him why he was delayed, he told the man that he had introduced himself as a farmer.

Obasanjo said his friend said he should have said he is an agric businessman instead of farmer because a farmer in Canada suffers worse indignity than a peasant farmer in Africa.

Obasanjo said he wouldn’t have suffered that fate if he didn’t arrive Canada a day earlier than his friend expected him.

He narrated his experience at the forum to underscore the fact that everbody wants to be either president of a country, Secretary-General of the United Nations, or do other white collar jobs rather than go into farming.

The forum was attended by Ghana’s President Attah Mills, former Secretary-General of the United Nations, Koffi Annan and several other dignitaries.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/top-stories/60699-Obasanjo-Was-Humiliated-Canada.html
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by OAM4J: 1:31am On Sep 07, 2010
lol  grin ' farmer ko, agriculturist ni.

So farmer no go fit get go to Canada!
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by AloyEmeka5: 1:53am On Sep 07, 2010
I thought he travels with diplomatic identity?
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by slap1(m): 6:19am On Sep 07, 2010
the officials, who did not recognise him as former president of Nigeria,
OBJ was only joking, I think. Who forgets a face like that? Even if they didn't recognise him as the president of Nigeria, the face must have looked familiar.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by AloyEmeka5: 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2010
slap1:

OBJ was only joking, I think. Who forgets a face like that? Even if they didn't recognise him as the president of Nigeria, the face must have looked familiar.

He is nobody at the international scene trust me although what the Canadian immigration did to him was uncalled for.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by PapaBrowne(m): 12:45pm On Sep 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

He is nobody at the international scene trust me although what the Canadian immigration did to him was uncalled for.

Nonsense. OBJ is one of the most respected people in the world. Trust me on that one! Its only at home he isn't respected.
I have watched him at different international Fora where the best of the world's brains gather and he usually stands high amonsgt them!!
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by Epiphany(m): 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Nonsense. OBJ is one of the most respected people in the world. Trust me on that one! Its only at home he isn't respected.
I have watched him at different international Fora where the best of the world's brains gather and he usually stands high amonsgt them!!

I actually agree with you on this one . . . but only among people of a certain level and above. Obasanjo will not be known to the 'lower' levels of international society, who by the way, do not even know much outside their immediate surroundings. E.g. an American who does not know where Iraq or Afghanistan is even though America has been fighting in those countries for years will not care to know Obasanjo (which may be around the level that the immigration officer is operating on).

Among the top political strata, Yes, Obasanjo is well known and respected.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by AloyEmeka5: 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Then why did the canadian immigration that allowed Becomerich to freely roam Canada in his leprechaun suit humiliate your one of the most respected Obasanjo?
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by Beaf: 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Then why did the canadian immigration that allowed Becomerich to freely roam Canada in his leprechaun suit humiliate your one of the most respected Obasanjo?

shocked
See map! grin

I can't stop laughing, but PapaBrowne is correct. Obj is well respected outside Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by GoldCircle: 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2010
I kinda like this baba's sense of humor!
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by udezue(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2010
Like he really deserves any form of respect? mchew
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by philip0906(m): 3:00pm On Sep 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by orangemen: 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2010
next time, obasanjo shld introduce himself as the biggest looter in africa
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

Na wa o!

He has a face only a mother could love.
And what is that supposed to mean ?
udezue:

Like he really deserves any form of respect? mchew
he's respected home and way. . .
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 07, 2010
Please let us not confuse the ignorance of an immigration officer to mean an indication of OBJ's international profile.

OBJ is a former Head of State of the most populous Black Nation on earth and is still a consultant to the United Nations on Conflict Resolution in Congo.

The suggestion that he is a nobody in international circles is a stretch.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by denitro(m): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2010
Was that humiliation?
Being told to wait for 3 hours is not humiliation. Dumb
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by seyibrown(f): 9:58pm On Sep 07, 2010
Could his 'body lanuguage' have made the officials suspect he was a 'Cannabis Farmer'? grin Immigration officials blame everything on foreign-looking people's body language these days! grin
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by okunoba(m): 3:14am On Sep 08, 2010
The man was just joking when he mentioned being stopped by Immigration officials.
Obansanjo travels on a VIP diplomatic visa meaning he doesn`t go through immigration like the rest of us. straight from plane to VIP rm, one of his staff will take his diplomatic passport to officials that deal with VIP`s who will check it and hand it back to the staff, he will then be picked up by a driver and driven out of the airport. All of this usually takes only about 15/20 mins. I know this from my experience of catching the same flight with him and ending up in the VIP section of gatwick airport. I was with a Nigerian Monarch.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by tpiah: 5:08am On Sep 08, 2010
as long as his millions are still intact, does it matter?

just a little inconvenience that could happen to any rich man anywhere.

blame it on a glitch or something.

if it happened to someone like me wey be nobody, then we have a story perhaps.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by AloyEmeka5: 7:39am On Sep 08, 2010
tpiah:

as long as his millions are still intact, does it matter?

just a little inconvenience that could happen to any rich man anywhere.

blame it on a glitch or something.

if it happened to someone like me wey be nobody, then we have a story perhaps.

Yes, our money he stole.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by safariman(m): 5:11pm On Sep 08, 2010
I find the story hard to believe. Most ex Nigerian politician usually call and let the respective embassies know when they are arriving. I was in Brazil when Iweala (at that time no longer a minster) called to report when she was arriving and they asked if she wanted an embassy pick up, which she refused. Let alone OBJ
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by playmode(m): 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
PapaBrowne:

OBJ respected all over world  undecided  That is bull bro ,even in South Africa he was searched by custom officers .Have you forgotten that in district 9 they use his name to represent the cannibalistic Nigerian gang leader. OBJ is respected all over world as much as a c ow's fart. He is a nobody because he was corrupt and he did not to improve Nigeria’s image overseas.

The fact is Nigerians these days are treated like HIV victims all over the world ,we are stigmatized everywhere we go. The earlier we realize that the better for us!
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by oderemo(m): 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2010
The man was just joking when he mentioned being stopped by Immigration officials.
Obansanjo travels on a VIP diplomatic visa meaning he doesn`t go through immigration like the rest of us. straight from plane to VIP rm, one of his staff will take his diplomatic passport to officials that deal with VIP`s who will check it and hand it back to the staff, he will then be picked up by a driver and driven out of the airport. All of this usually takes only about 15/20 mins. I know this from my experience of catching the same flight with him and ending up in the VIP section of gatwick airport. I was with a Nigerian Monarch.
story story.
gone are those days we have monarch,
its now 3 for 10 pence.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by Becomrich0: 4:04am On Sep 09, 2010
aloy, you make me laugh. you see when it comes to this place they call canada.  i dont need a visa to enter canada   by he needs one.

Because i joke with you people online. i can get the congressional black Caucus in the US to endorse a nigeria government. I can get US or canada senators to endorse a nigeria govt.
Re: Obasanjo Humiliated By Canadian Immigration by slap1(m): 4:38am On Sep 09, 2010
Becomrich0:

aloy, you make me laugh. you see when it comes to this place they call canada.  i dont need a visa to enter canada   by he needs one.

Because i joke with you people online. i can get the congressional black Caucus in the US to endorse a nigeria government. I can get US or canada senators to endorse a nigeria govt.
You must be a ghost, then.

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Bans All Protesting - Say's Protesting Is A Violation Of Sharia Law / $1bn Abuja World Trade Centre / Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.