Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? (1967 Views)

Fire At Filling Station Within The Sokoto State Government House (photos) / The Map Of The Sokoto Caliphate / The Hausa Fulani Yoruba And The Sokoto Caliphate Who Rule Nigeria Have Never; (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by PHIPEX(m): 11:27pm On Apr 30, 2012
While in Secondary school, we were taught that the Sokoto Caliphate is the highest spiritual head of Moslems in Nigeria. This Boko haram terrorism has however made me to question the relevance of this institution. I want to know why the Sultan of Sokoto who is also the President-General, Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs has not been able to call his subjects to order. How come the Imams that teach these deadly doctrines of Jihad have not been contained by the Caliphate? Has the Caliphate lost its relevance to the point where fellow moslems (Boko Haram) will even threaten to bomb it?

I can't imagine a situation where a radical Rev Father will threaten to bomb the Vatican city in an attempt to protect the Catholic Faith or a situation where Pastor Adeboye or Chris will become handicapped in calling their congregations to order. All we keep hearing from such a supposed authority is a reactionary statements such as "We condemn this act of violence and pray God to give the victims' families the fortitude to bear this great loss".

I ask again, has the Sokoto Caliphate lost the control over Nigerian Moslems?
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by belovedaja(m): 8:34am On May 01, 2012
They are representation of federal govt
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by PHIPEX(m): 8:36am On May 01, 2012
Most of us may find this topic sensitive but I hold the opinion that BH may remain with us as long as this institution remains silent
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 9:02am On May 01, 2012
@PIPEX,
Your question prompted a review of the 'West African Senior School Certification Examination History Syllabus' (http://toscanyacademy.com/download-center.php?page=15) and here is what I found.

SECTION B: NIGERIA IN THE 19TH CENTURY
7. The Sokoto Caliphate: its establishment, administration, relations with its neighbours and impact of the Sokoto jihad on Nigeria.
8. Borno under the Shehu: the emergence of El-Kanemi, developments under El-Kanemi and Shehu Umar, developments under later Shehu, the Fall of Borno.
9. European relations with Nigeria: the suppression of the trans-Atlantic slave trade; activities of European explorers; Christian Missionary activities and their impact; consular and company activities and their impact on coastal states and the hinterland

Is the Caliphate still as relevant as it once was? The short answer is 'no'.
Successive military regimes left their imprint on every institution in Nigeria, and the Sokoto Caliphate got emasculated along the way like so many others.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by PHIPEX(m): 11:30am On May 01, 2012
eGuerrilla: @PIPEX,
Your question prompted a review of the 'West African Senior School Certification Examination History Syllabus' (http://toscanyacademy.com/download-center.php?page=15) and here is what I found.

Is the Caliphate still as relevant as it once was? The short answer is 'no'.
Successive military regimes left their imprint on every institution in Nigeria, and the Sokoto Caliphate got emasculated along the way like so many others.

Does it make my conjectures right? Because if it does then it means that the Caliphate institution has become a mere figurehead.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Alumnus: 1:16pm On May 01, 2012
We all know that the Caliphate is culpable even though those in authority wouldn't want to say it in order to avoid the usual protest associated with religious intolerance in the North.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 01, 2012
Alumnus: We all know that the Caliphate is culpable even though those in authority wouldn't want to say it in order to avoid the usual protest associated with religious intolerance in the North.
GBAM!
Remember some few years back (2008-2009) when northern islamic leaders, led by thr sultan himself, held a series of meetings on how they can checkmate the spread of christianity in the north?
I think what we are experiencing now is the 'solution' they profered then.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Alumnus: 2:22pm On May 01, 2012
@Careytommy, How I wish they know that since the days of John the Baptist until now, Christianity has suffered violence and in those instances violence always got subdued
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Kilode1: 2:40pm On May 01, 2012
The Only Caliphate in Nigeria right now is the Crude Oil Caliphate.

Nigeria will not change until the Crude Oil Caliphate changes it or is forced to change it.

Sokoto or whatever Caliphate or empire is played out. Access to crude Oil money is the true Source of Power and influence here.

Well, until we get frustrated enough to correct that

3 Likes

Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by DisGuy: 2:58pm On May 01, 2012
was it ever relevant? especially after the 90s

IMO, these are just figure heads that attend ceremonies with govt officials and big wigs
same as the so calles Obas, Chiefs, Emirs etc people dont actually know these people just names they read about
in the papers usually associated with opening 'ultra modern' buildings, and PR stunts for politicians
i always laugh when people say things like the Emir/sultan/obas should come out and denounce/condemen something
-
like who really cares about them

spiritual muslim leaders yea right

who takes CAN president serious in real life apart from politicians
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by supremebeing09: 3:14pm On May 01, 2012
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by supremebeing09: 3:29pm On May 01, 2012
Kilode?!:
The Only Caliphate in Nigeria right now is the Crude Oil Caliphate.

Nigeria will not change until the Crude Oil Caliphate changes it or is forced to change it.

Sokoto or whatever Caliphate or empire is played out. Access to crude Oil money is the true Source of Power and influence here.

Well, until we get frustrated enough to correct that

Well said. Gone are the days of the Caliphate having an influence on the Northern people in general. Let's not forget how old these Caliphates are and their history. They have always maintained peace and order, or at least tried to. They always had responsibilities. But with the military interventions and the relocation of the nation's vast resources to other parts of the country (the Crude Oil Caliphate indeed), coupled with what we call "dem-all-crazy" in Nigeria today, the Caliphates' responsibilities have continued to diminish by the day since time. The marginalisation of the North from the nation's wealth does not make issues any better either. So everything feels like a food chain at the moment. It's a "man vs. man" world we live in today.

The issue of power and influence continues to destabilize Nigeria. Sometimes I listen to Fela Kuti and his political messages and he couldn't have been any more precise - except things are happening from a different direction but with striking similarities.

I sometimes feel very restricted talking on Nairaland. I know a few who would pick on my references when I mention places. I just thought I should mention I studied in Zaria for 6 years and even then the Caliphates (The Emirs and the traditional rulers) had a massive influence on the Northern citizens. Even, there were elements of corporation between the military rulers and the Caliphates because of their shared norms and values and also the concentration of power in the North. Christians were also well-respected, having lived in the North as a Christian. The local economies were doing very well, Zaria being a city of local entreprenuers and traders (both Ibos and Hausas). I must say Zaria/Kaduna was beautiful then. Bring on 10 years later and everything is a mess. Scary how things change in so little time, considering how young Nigeria still is since gaining independence.

The demise of the Caliphates lies in the mismanagement of both governance and the economy. I believe the move from military dictatorship to democracy happened in such a way we Nigerians could not have anticipated the aftermath of seeking democracy. Not that I'm anti-democratic. All I'm saying is the transition phase may have happened too fast without much analysis given to the consequences ahead. We just wanted DEMOCRACY! It's a shame the notion of democracy continues to divide the country even further. This in turn has led to conflicts of interest and I'm sure the Caliphates were not above that. Therefore, the Caliphates' responsibilities as a body are things of the past. Unless we seek to address the issues in the North, the Caliphates will continue to fade into the background.

The main issue will continue to be Boko Haram. If the Caliphates were in a position to dialogue with Boko Haram, I'm sure they would have done so. But BH does not recognise any sort of authority and even do no recognise some, if not most, of the caliphates. God knows what they think of the President! I believe some sort of dialogue is necessary. It does not matter how is it brought about. But then, what do we REALLY know about BH? Surely, this is more complicated than a man trying to replicate his mum's Sunday recipe! TOUGH! With the mismanagement of government, we will continue to wait and see what will be unveiled to the nation. Perhaps they may just make the North an entirely different nation. But even so, there still will be a massive power struggle - That depends on BH laying down their arms. If not, there could be CHAOS!!! The fact that we allowed the Shari'a law in some state gives BH the scope they could impose Islamic laws on the nation. In order words, we are paying for perhaps some of the inappropriate decisions ever made in Nigeria (my opinion). Furthermore, the marginalisation of the North presents more problems because of the economic consequences we have inherited. I guess you could relate this to the Oil Caliphate!

The Caliphates have been failed by the nation. They still continue to fail each other, thus failing the nation. But the issue will always lie with the mismanagement of the country. Sometimes I wish I could turn back the hands of time... Boy! We would have been able to see a lot! But better late than never, they say. So it's never too late to fix the issues we face in Nigeria. The Presidents should put politicking aside and restore the integrity of the nation. The sooner the better.

1 Like

Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by PHIPEX(m): 3:44pm On May 01, 2012
supremebeing09:

Well said. Gone are the days of the Caliphate having an influence on the Northern people in general. Let's not forget how old these Caliphates are and their history. They have always maintained peace and order, or at least tried to. They always had responsibilities. But with the military interventions and the relocation of the nation's vast resources to other parts of the country (the Crude Oil Caliphate indeed), coupled with what we call "dem-all-crazy" in Nigeria today, the Caliphates' responsibilities have continued to diminish by the day since time. The marginalisation of the North from the nation's wealth does not make issues any better either. So everything feels like a food chain at the moment. It's a "man vs. man" world we live in today.

The issue of power and influence continues to destabilize Nigeria. Sometimes I listen to Fela Kuti and his political messages and he couldn't have been any more precise - except things are happening from a different direction but with striking similarities.

I sometimes feel very restricted talking on Nairaland. I know a few who would pick on my references when I mention places. I just thought I should mention I studied in Zaria for 6 years and even then the Caliphates (The Emirs and the traditional rulers) had a massive influence on the Northern citizens. Even, there were elements of corporation between the military rulers and the Caliphates because of their shared norms and values and also the concentration of power in the North. Christians were also well-respected, having lived in the North as a Christian. The local economies were doing very well, Zaria being a city of local entreprenuers and traders (both Ibos and Hausas). I must say Zaria/Kaduna was beautiful then. Bring on 10 years later and everything is a mess. Scary how things change in so little time, considering how young Nigeria still is since gaining independence.

The demise of the Caliphates lies in the mismanagement of both governance and the economy. I believe the move from military dictatorship to democracy happened in such a way we Nigerians could not have anticipated the aftermath of seeking democracy. Not that I'm anti-democratic. All I'm saying is the transition phase may have happened too fast without much analysis given to the consequences ahead. We just wanted DEMOCRACY! It's a shame the notion of democracy continues to divide the country even further. This in turn has led to conflicts of interest and I'm sure the Caliphates were not above that. Therefore, the Caliphates' responsibilities as a body are things of the past. Unless we seek to address the issues in the North, the Caliphates will continue to fade into the background.

The main issue will continue to be Boko Haram. If the Caliphates were in a position to dialogue with Boko Haram, I'm sure they would have done so. But BH does not recognise any sort of authority and even do no recognise some, if not most, of the caliphates. God knows what they think of the President! I believe some sort of dialogue is necessary. It does not matter how is it brought about. But then, what do we REALLY know about BH? Surely, this is more complicated than a man trying to replicate his mum's Sunday recipe! TOUGH! With the mismanagement of government, we will continue to wait and see what will be unveiled to the nation. Perhaps they may just make the North an entirely different nation. But even so, there still will be a massive power struggle - That depends on BH laying down their arms. If not, there could be CHAOS!!! The fact that we allowed the Shari'a law in some state gives BH the scope they could impose Islamic laws on the nation. In order words, we are paying for perhaps some of the inappropriate decisions ever made in Nigeria (my opinion). Furthermore, the marginalisation of the North presents more problems because of the economic consequences we have inherited. I guess you could relate this to the Oil Caliphate!

The Caliphates have been failed by the nation. They still continue to fail each other, thus failing the nation. But the issue will always lie with the mismanagement of the country. Sometimes I wish I could turn back the hands of time... Boy! We would have been able to see a lot! But better late than never, they say. So it's never too late to fix the issues we face in Nigeria. The Presidents should put politicking aside and restore the integrity of the nation. The sooner the better.
Waw, this ur article is very insightful, I'v learnt a lot. Another ancient institution and tradition has collapsed. The question then is who leads Nigerian Moslems? Am sure there must be a leader somewhere whose voice is respected by all this is because a religion without a leader is worse than a time bomb. The blame for inactivity should not be that of GEJ alone but also of whoever Leads the Moslem community in this country who has failed to exercise his moral responsibility to the nation in times like this.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by supremebeing09: 6:41pm On May 01, 2012
PHIPEX: Waw, this ur article is very insightful, I'v learnt a lot. Another ancient institution and tradition has collapsed. The question then is who leads Nigerian Moslems? Am sure there must be a leader somewhere whose voice is respected by all this is because a religion without a leader is worse than a time bomb. The blame for inactivity should not be that of GEJ alone but also of whoever Leads the Moslem community in this country who has failed to exercise his moral responsibility to the nation in times like this.

I'm glad you found that insightful. The question is not who leads the Nigerian Muslims but WHO is actually leading Nigeria? We have no leadership. Leadership is not just about having a "leader" or someone who "leads by example". Leadership means the ability to utilise one's authority for the benefit of the people. Once the people benefit from good leadership, they may be able to emulate that aspect of leadership portrayed by the role model. Do we have leaders we can call role models today? They are puppets ("ANIMAL DEY WEAR AGBADA - FELA KUTI). That says it all. There is no charisma or an aura of authority portrayed by our leaders. Even so, many people have failed to benefit from the sociological and psychological benefits of effective leadership. Thus, the issue of leadership remains an issue in Nigeria.

Whether Muslims or Christians or even pagans, we need a central hub of leadership. ONE leader and one style of leadership. Alternatively, we could benefit from different levels of leadership, either traditional, religious or government/legislative leadership. But the benefits of the latter have a big impact on the other two forms of leadership. Unless the government steps up and portrays a sense of leadership, there will be no one other leaders can look up to. Not that they cannot lead their people without the government's portrayal of leadership. Instead, due to a lack of motivation, there will be inefficiencies in the leadership style(s) exhibited by local, traditional and religious leaders. After all, people strive to follow standards set by their leaders. Without this, leadership does not necessarily translate to effective leadership. There is a big difference between the two.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by PHIPEX(m): 9:39pm On May 01, 2012
supremebeing09:

I'm glad you found that insightful. The question is not who leads the Nigerian Muslims but WHO is actually leading Nigeria? We have no leadership. Leadership is not just about having a "leader" or someone who "leads by example". Leadership means the ability to utilise one's authority for the benefit of the people. Once the people benefit from good leadership, they may be able to emulate that aspect of leadership portrayed by the role model. Do we have leaders we can call role models today? They are puppets ("ANIMAL DEY WEAR AGBADA - FELA KUTI). That says it all. There is no charisma or an aura of authority portrayed by our leaders. Even so, many people have failed to benefit from the sociological and psychological benefits of effective leadership. Thus, the issue of leadership remains an issue in Nigeria.

Whether Muslims or Christians or even pagans, we need a central hub of leadership. ONE leader and one style of leadership. Alternatively, we could benefit from different levels of leadership, either traditional, religious or government/legislative leadership. But the benefits of the latter have a big impact on the other two forms of leadership. Unless the government steps up and portrays a sense of leadership, there will be no one other leaders can look up to. Not that they cannot lead their people without the government's portrayal of leadership. Instead, due to a lack of motivation, there will be inefficiencies in the leadership style(s) exhibited by local, traditional and religious leaders. After all, people strive to follow standards set by their leaders. Without this, leadership does not necessarily translate to effective leadership. There is a big difference between the two.

It is an open secret that Nigeria's problem is that of Leadership but it will be very ambiguous if we end it at that, we need to be specific. The implication of that popular statement is that every Nigerian who is in one leadership position or the other is guilty. The failures of the Leaders of the Niger-Deltans for instance to use the oil wealth for the benefit of their own people can not be blamed on the Leaders from the North. It also implies that the inability of the Moslem Clerics and other Northern Leaders to call their Sheep to order can not be blamed completely on the inability of the FG to use its security apparatus to quell this terrorists. Every leader should be answerable for the actions and the inactions of his followers. If we know that our leaders have failed us it will do us much good not to allow our immediate leaders go scot-free while we point an accusing finger at the Leader far away. I believe that regardless of the breakdown in the Caliphate institution, the Northern Moslems will give a much more listening ear to their Moslem leaders than they will to the President especially a President who they see as an infidel. The best the FG can do is to use force and Military might but we know that these leaders have the previlege of dialoguing with their people.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by Pygru: 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
Bump
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by kel4soft: 7:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
supremebeing09:

Well said. I'd every bit of your analysis. How I wish minds like you exist in NL as against these APC and PDP E-warriors. Where they done every article to tribalism and ethnicity.
Re: Has The Sokoto Caliphate Lost Its Relevance? by papparatzzi2013: 8:47pm On Dec 22, 2013
You must be novice. A single pronouncement from the sultan can make this country to burn.

Violence will ensue in the north and reprisal in the south. Even the politicians and the oil caliphate will run for their dear lives.

That is how powerful the seat is. That is he reason why, he is hardly heard or seen.

(1) (Reply)

New Defence Minister: Jonathan Focuses On Ogomudia, Dike / “islam Is The Mother Of Boko Haram” – Dr.doyin Okupe / Rejoinder To The Slanderous Open Letter On Intimate Harassment In Lasu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.