Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll (3114 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / APC Sets Up Committee To Monitor Buhari’s Compliance With Manifesto / Thread To Monitor 6-Week War To Crush Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2010
LAGOS (Reuters) - Tech-savvy young Nigerians are gearing up to use BlackBerries, mobile phones and social networking services such as Twitter and Facebook to monitor polls in January, in an effort to stamp out electoral fraud.

Previous polls in Africa's most populous nation have been so marred by ballot-stuffing and voter intimidation that election observers deemed them not to be credible. This time around, new technology could make some forms of rigging more difficult.

President Goodluck Jonathan, who has yet to declare whether he will stand in the polls, has said organising a credible vote is a top priority, although there is little time left for a badly-needed overhaul of the electoral register.

One group of developers called Wangonet -- an acronym for West African Non-Government Organisation Network -- is working on an application that records information sent by SMS, email or via Internet from mobile phones to plot a map of problem areas.

The Nigerian project was inspired by Ushahidi, a website first developed in Kenya to map post-electoral violence in 2008, and later used around the world including to help emergency teams after the Chile earthquake and floods in Pakistan.

The platform uses "crowdsourcing" -- pulling together and organising data from public users.

"We believe by arming a new generation of Nigerians with social media and networking tools , the 105 million Nigerians under the age of 35 might be motivated to directly engage and interrogate the system," said Wangonet founder Tunji Lardner.

Election rigging has been so widespread in Nigeria that many disillusioned younger voters do not bother going to the polls
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by 0Edward0(m): 1:18pm On Sep 08, 2010
More info please
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2010
Do you think technology can stand in the way of Politicians rigging in Naija, facebook ko, facefraudni,
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
Methinks this is laudable and should be encouraged. Even if they plan to rig or rig, there will be overwhelming electronic evidence for courts to admit
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Jean2(m): 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2010
A very good thing to do. We should use such technology to our (Nigerian citizen's) advantage. Also we should stop cowering, let us speak out online, offline, in public, everywhere against selection process that has been going on for too long.
People with very good, tangible track record should be supported fully and voted for without party affiliation considerations, like we did in the 2003 presidential election. We voted for the person of our choice and the whole world can testify to that.
I will like to add that those who scuttled the election (the active person(s), figure head and other players) should eternally regret and serve as an example to present and future leaders that the evil they do in office will continue to haunt them through all of eternity.
God will hear our words in heaven and will guide the stone that will hit every one of the Goliath and Philistine among our politicians. We must however act as David did, not cower like every other Israelite of that time.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Jean2(m): 1:46pm On Sep 08, 2010
@ Dappssee. God bless you that is the point!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 08, 2010
@Jean!: That's the way to go. Nothing would have happened to Rear Admiral Arogundade if there was no video evidence of his men's molestation of Uzoma Okere.

We need to make the best use of our camera phones and smart phones.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Jcob(m): 2:47pm On Sep 08, 2010
This is really a good one, it's a pity these bastards will still go ahead with their evil plans. Though Social Media has been used in other 3rd world and European Countries to protest against the ill attitude of the government and ended up on positive notes. . . . . but in Nigeria, our leaders will just laugh it off and continue their game. I think the best thing we need is 1 million Nigerians on the street, no revolution, just peaceful demonstration to monitor our votes. Staying indoor on the system won't help us. . . . the way to it is to get together on the social media sites, and come eye to eye during election.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Vavavoom(m): 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2010
It may appear insignificant against the might of would-be riggers of (s)election but let history record your part that in such a moment you stood up, did something against oppression and sided with positive change. This should be the spirit and the attitude we take to the polls.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by gReenmAn(m): 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2010
Jcob:

This is really a good one, it's a pity these bastards will still go ahead with their evil plans. Though Social Media has been used in other 3rd world and European Countries to protest against the ill attitude of the government and ended up on positive notes. . . . . but in Nigeria, our leaders will just laugh it off and continue their game. I think the best thing we need is 1 million Nigerians on the street, no revolution, just peaceful demonstration to monitor our votes. Staying indoor on the system won't help us. . . . the way to it is to get together on the social media sites, and come eye to eye during election.

Word.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by JimmyBoy1: 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2010
This is a glimmer of hope, even though the politicians will still go ahead with their evil acts there is surely no point in making the Job easier for them.

Wait a minute, hope nobody go charge N100 per SMS o ? grin

Enjoy your holidays folks!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 08, 2010
Hopefully the govt on that election day would not order MTN, GLO, Visafone and the rest to switch off all network connections like they did in 2003. But the good news is that videos on cameras can be uploaded anytime to youtube.

Rigging and electoral malpractices would be exposed even more this time around.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2010
warrabout kidnappers!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by papssy(m): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2010
hope tis our 2011 elections be just and fair now the whole world is looking at us sad[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by EvilBrain1(m): 9:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
Vavavoom:

It may appear insignificant against the might of would-be riggers of (s)election but let history record your part that in such a moment you stood up, did something against oppression and sided with positive change. This should be the spirit and the attitude we take to the polls.

Seconded!!!
In 2003, myself and a few others stopped an INEC official from doing some minor magomago at my polling booth. It made very little difference and the PDP f&%kers still won but I still feel proud that I did something. I'd like to see them try that nonsense this time when we all have camera phones and internet access.

If everybody puts in their 2 kobo, it adds up to a lot. After all the people who filmed the police executing civilians in Bauchi were ordinary people like you.

I say that everybody should hang around the polling booths and film anything suspicious. Film them counting the votes. Take pictures of result sheets and post them online. Tweet the results from your polling booth and compare them with what INEC announces later. Let the INEC people know that they are under scrutiny.Gather evidence and share it with the world. They can't rig unless we allow them.

Let's not allow them!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by oladayo042: 9:46pm On Sep 08, 2010
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Redman44(m): 10:56pm On Sep 08, 2010
This seems to be a very good antidote to the widespread rigging and thuggish behaviour that we witness during elections in Nigeria. I believe the game is up for selfish politicians who will do anything to get to power. I have always believed the future of Nigeria lies with the youths. If we channel all the anger we vent on Nairaland, Facebook and Bebo into ensuring that credible polls are held in the country next year, we will achieve something together. Change will come to Nigeria if we believe in ourselves that we can be the change we want to see. I have noticed that a lot of socio-economic organisations in Nigeria are interested in the 2011 elections. The youths are also planning and testing out a lot of strategies to stop corrupt rulers from holding on to power in the country. Videos of electoral rigging and violence [ Snatching of ballot boxes, beating up agents of rival parties, harassing voters etc ] can be uploaded on Facebook immediately with international news organizations picking them up for their news stories.

We've already seen the Judiciary restoring stolen mandates to their rightful owners [ Oshiomhole in Edo State and Mimiko in Ondo State ] and I believe things will get better if the youths stand up against corrupt leaders at all levels. For once, let all the bad boys on our campuses take the 2011 elections seriously. If the Gangs on our campuses stand up to the thugs of the politicians [ Both sides will be evenly matched. Political thugs will be afraid to cause trouble when they see young men who can stand up to them ], ballot boxes will not be snatched cheesy cheesy. I just believe we are not a wasted generation. God bless Nigeria.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 8:27am On Sep 09, 2010
Technology is the way to go to get credible election in Nigeria.

Our leaders will not like it because they want to rig and take leadership positions through the back door.

Technology is not well-developed in Nigeria because our leaders are afraid of the capabilities and possibilities available.

Nigerian youths must stand up and say 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH'.

All Nigerians must be ready to monitor elections in their immediate locality using camera and video phones to gather evidence.

Without good evidence, no hope of success in court. Good evidence will compel any judge to act correctly in court.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 8:29am On Sep 09, 2010
The future of Nigeria is dependent on technology and the capability of the Nigerian youths to use technology to the best advantage.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by usbcable(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2010
What about those villages that dont have internet or mobile comm. Or mms enabled systems working? This is one area that can be exploited and not the cities that are recipes for trouble for the riggers.
in the villages they always have a filled day rigging with no fear.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by chelseabmw(m): 12:30pm On Sep 09, 2010
Nonsense. . . .This wouldn't work
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Jcob(m): 12:37pm On Sep 09, 2010
Must the politicians come outside to rig ? Please let's sharp up. They can do it in their room.

Even the so called youths that want to watch our for rigging can be bought at a cheapey.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2010
There is nothing like '' OPTION A4 '' since it's the biggest anti-dote to Rigging. .
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by philip0906(m): 1:03pm On Sep 09, 2010
dappssee:

Methinks this is laudable and should be encouraged. Even if they plan to rig or rig, there will be overwhelming electronic evidence for courts to admit
Hope u ain't mistaking Naija with d yankees
@op
If they like they should count it with their own hands,it will still be rigged and nothing will happen.Who wants a bet?
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2010
It is very unfortunate that some people in this forum do not know the capabilities of technology. That shows the extent of ignorance in Nigeria today.

Note:
- A digital camera will work anywhere in Nigeria, including villages.
- Camera phones (for taking photos) will work anywhere in Nigeria, including villages.

usbcable:

What about those villages that dont have internet or mobile comm. Or mms enabled systems working? This is one area that can be exploited and not the cities that are recipes for trouble for the riggers.
in the villages they always have a filled day rigging with no fear.

People do not need internet or mobile comm to be able to take simple photographs with their camera phone.

philip0906:

Hope u ain't mistaking Naija with d yankees
@op
If they like they should count it with their own hands,it will still be rigged and nothing will happen.Who wants a bet?

@philip0906
Why are some Nigerians too negative? There is no need to be negative. It is possible to take photos anywhere in Nigeria using mobile camera phones or digital camera. You will be surprised what technology can do to help Nigeria in the next election.

All responsible Nigerians should get camera phones now because the election of January 2011 is too close to delay. No need to wait for the Police or Army to do the job of monitoring our local polling station.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by pheesayor(m): 4:14pm On Sep 09, 2010
beknown:

It is very unfortunate that some people in this forum do not know the capabilities of technology. That shows the extent of ignorance in Nigeria today.

Note:
- Camera phones (for taking photos) will work anywhere in Nigeria, including villages.

People do not need internet or mobile comm to be able to take simple photographs with their camera phone.

@philip0906
Why are some Nigerians too negative? There is no need to be negative. It is possible to take photos anywhere in Nigeria using mobile camera phones or digital camera. You will be surprised what technology can do to help Nigeria in the next election.

All responsible Nigerians should get camera phones now because the election of January 2011 is too close to delay. No need to wait for the Police or Army to do the job of monitoring our local polling station.

the best response so far, if Nigerians utilise these things we will get somewhere and I bet you, this will scare riggers. I'm getting a camera asap alongside my nokia n95. I WILL BE ACTIVELY INVOLVED!!!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2010
beknown:

Note:

@philip0906

pheesayor:

the best response so far, if Nigerians utilise these things we will get somewhere and I bet you, this will scare riggers. I'm getting a camera asap alongside my nokia n95. I WILL BE ACTIVELY INVOLVED!!!
You guys talk as if all those things that worked somewhere will definitely work in nigeria.In case you people may have forgotten,one punch newspaper journalist was mobbed by pdp thugs in a senator's house in Ekiti state during the re-run election last year.the publication made headlines and was used as an evidence at the tribunal by AC ;that the journalist tried to uncover an allegation of vote-rigging in his house,yet,the pdp governor retained in seat.
In osun state,Rauf Aregbesola used some video technology during the 2007 election and which was verified by the forensic expert he used as a witness at the tribunal,yet,the case has no head till date even when the evidence were staring at us.
so you guys should just forget about this technology stuff,Open-ballot box is what Pdp don't want and that is what we should canvass for.in the end,the expert died mysteriously
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by anonimi: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2010
RSPV

R[/b]egister
[b]S[/b]elect (your candidates)
[b]P[/b]articpate (in their campaign)
[b]V[/b]ote

Let this be our motto for this election period.
[b]Copy and text the motto
to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by pheesayor(m): 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You guys talk as if all those things that worked somewhere will definitely work in nigeria.In case you people may have forgotten,one punch newspaper journalist was mobbed by pdp thugs in a senator's house in Ekiti state during the re-run election last year.the publication made headlines and was used as an evidence at the tribunal by AC ;that the journalist tried to uncover an allegation of vote-rigging in his house,yet,the pdp governor retained in seat.
In osun state,Rauf Aregbesola used some video technology during the 2007 election and which was verified by the forensic expert he used as a witness at the tribunal,yet,the case has no head till date even when the evidence were staring at us.
so you guys should just forget about this technology stuff,Open-ballot box is what Pdp don't want and that is what we should canvass for.in the end,the expert died mysteriously

I understand you very well but in the case where open ballot is not possible, more people can be involved in capturing pictures, videos, even anonymous voice recordings. The more the better, I feel
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
pheesayor:

I understand you very well but in the case where open ballot is not possible, more people can be involved in capturing pictures, videos, even anonymous voice recordings. The more the better, I feel
of what point will it serve,if it's not going to be accepted as an evidence during the tribunal.Other countries doing all these things do it as a normal thing but we are intending to do it to settle court cases,so you see the difference in ideologies.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by anonimi: 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

of what point will it serve,if it's not going to be accepted as an evidence during the tribunal.Other countries doing all these things do it as a normal thing but we are intending to do it to settle court cases,so you see the difference in ideologies.

gradually, little-by-little, one step at a time, we will get there. And we can only get there by continuous pressure such as what is being advocated here.
That, precisely is how those obodo oyibo countries got there a few hundred years ago.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by pheesayor(m): 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I as a person won't do it to settle court cases. It just to show to the world how it all went down. That's my own opinion though but I think if there more of such kind of evidence from different sources might convinces the judges - this is for those who want to use it as evidence in court.

About 60% of phones have cameras, if more than half of that % make good use of it, riggers will have alternative ways which might not be convenient for them. The upcoming polls have generated so much buzz that almost everyone will be interested in the process and the outcome

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-militants Barricade Warri-benin Highway Over Allowance / Hypocrisy Exposed: Disgraced---- Naira Lander exposed in damning fashion / Fayose Won Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.