Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,569 members, 7,837,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll (3120 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / APC Sets Up Committee To Monitor Buhari’s Compliance With Manifesto / Thread To Monitor 6-Week War To Crush Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by pheesayor(m): 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2010
anonimi:

RSPV

R[/b]egister
[b]S[/b]elect (your candidates)
[b]P[/b]articpate (in their campaign)
[b]V[/b]ote

Let this be our motto for this election period.
[b]Copy and text the motto
to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!

Register, Select, Vote, Protect (your vote)
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 09, 2010
anonimi:

gradually, little-by-little, one step at a time, we will get there. And we can only get there by continuous pressure such as what is being advocated here.
That, precisely is how those obodo oyibo countries got there a few hundred years ago.
I'm not saying it's not good at an individual level but more need to be done if the system is to adopted as part of our electoral process.I almost cried when a poor man brought his chopped leg to the court as an evidence against the pdp but that didn't change the course of the judgement even when everybody knew that segun oni didn't win the main election nor the controversial rerun,yet the the court went ahead and declared him winner.
pheesayor:

I as a person won't do it to settle court cases. It just to show to the world how it all went down. That's my own opinion though but I think if there more of such kind of evidence from different sources might convinces the judges -  this is for those who want to use it as evidence in court.

About 60% of phones have cameras, if more than half of that % make good use of it, riggers will have alternative ways which might not be convenient for them. The upcoming polls have generated so much buzz that almost everyone will be interested in the process and the outcome
Election in nigeria has always been like this. . .the hullaballo has always been the same only if we intend to creat an invisible expression of doubt.What would you say about the International observers NGO's and civil groups that covered nigeria's election,got both still image and video evidences,made the necessary condemnation about the elections,yet nothing happened.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 9:54am On Sep 10, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I'm not saying it's not good at an individual level but more need to be done if the system is to adopted as part of our electoral process.I almost cried when a poor man brought his chopped leg to the court as an evidence against the pdp but that didn't change the course of the judgement even when everybody knew that segun oni didn't win the main election nor the controversial rerun,yet the the court went ahead and declared him winner.Election in nigeria has always been like this. . .the hullaballo has always been the same only if we intend to creat an invisible expression of doubt.What would you say about the International observers NGO's and civil groups that covered nigeria's election,got both still image and video evidences,made the necessary condemnation about the elections,yet nothing happened.

Read about the trial of Uzoma Okere and Naval Rating Officer including appeal:

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/49173/1/Uzoma-Okere-Court-orders-Navy-Rear-Admiral-to-pay-N100m-/Page1.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-468031.0.html

The summary is that good photographs and video evidence including good legal representation can compel any judge to act rightly.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 10, 2010
beknown:

Read about the trial of Uzoma Okere and Naval Rating Officer including appeal:

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/49173/1/Uzoma-Okere-Court-orders-Navy-Rear-Admiral-to-pay-N100m-/Page1.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-468031.0.html

The summary is that good photographs and video evidence including good legal representation can compel any judge to act rightly.
I'm talking about electronic gadgets not being accepted during election tribunal and you are showing me Arogundade's trial. . .Anyways from the ones i know of in Ekiti and Osun including the evidences from international observers,i don't think it would make any difference.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2010
@~Bluetooth

I see you do not think anything good can come out of the effort of people at eradicating or, at least, reducing the menace of corruption in our electoral process. That is a very negative view and unreflective of the situation on the ground.

International observers and NGO's cannot replace true local Nigerians in monitoring election process in Nigeria.

I will like you to suggest the way forward because you seem to have criticism against every suggestion of other people.

If you have no suggestion, well, I rest my case.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2010
beknown:

@~Bluetooth

I see you do not think anything good can come out of the effort of people at eradicating or, at least, reducing the menace of corruption in our electoral process. That is a very negative view and unreflective of the situation on the ground.

International observers and NGO's cannot replace true local Nigerians in monitoring election process in Nigeria.

I will like you to suggest the way forward because you seem to have criticism against every suggestion of other people.

If you have no suggestion, well, I rest my case.
I'm not against the initiative rather i'm more concerned about its effectiveness in really stamping out what it's being intended for which electoral fraud.
from what i 've learnt about this country,i discovered we have laws but the interpretation of the law only suits a particular caste of the society.the first point is to give this initiative legal backing through the electoral law;by that people would be encourage to come out as witness during the tribunal.let's recognise it as part of the system first.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2010
the way I c it is this. We montior stuff online in the comfort of our homes while the thugs are on the streets stuffing ballot boxes, harassing voters, and transporting bags of money eh? Very effective. cool
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2010
Babzilla:

the way I c it is this. We montior stuff online in the comfort of our homes while the thugs are on the streets stuffing ballot boxes, harassing voters, and transporting bags of money eh? Very effective. cool
It's just like when one police AIG made something similar to this that the Nigeria police would monitor next year election through satellite,i just couldn't stop laughing. . .even when you use the gadget and those thugs get hold of you,i just hope such person's life doesn't end there.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 11, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He he he. very lame
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by member479760: 11:00am On Sep 11, 2010
common electricity we can't with all the professors of electricity we have, na facebook we go take vote.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Vealkyrie(f): 5:11pm On Sep 11, 2010
^^^^This is so funny. How many people use Blackberry phones in the rural areas to stamp out electoral fraud. I have been holidaying in Lagos for the past 5 days and i can say only 1 in 200 people use any form of social networking services. People are struggling to feed themselves. Monitoring elections is the last thing on their mind.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by TmeD0(m): 3:11am On Sep 12, 2010
facebook ko, legbook ni. . . make dem no go face dem book o. 
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by beknown(m): 9:49am On Sep 12, 2010
Vealkyrie:

^^^^This is so funny. How many people use Blackberry phones in the rural areas to stamp out electoral fraud. I have been holidaying in Lagos for the past 5 days and i can say only 1 in 200 people use any form of social networking services. People are struggling to feed themselves. Monitoring elections is the last thing on their mind.

@Vealkyrie,

Everybody may not have the flare to monitor election. Some people will always struggle to feed themselves, that is the reality and that could be their destiny. We are not all struggling to feed ourselves.

One reliable person in 1000 is good enough to monitor an election. In fact, one person in a voting centre is enough, more could be better.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by MrToro: 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2010
Nigerians in facebook wants free and fair elections in 2011
http://www.facebook.com/2011elections
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Ayowumie(m): 11:41am On Sep 13, 2010
Good innovation. Hope this innovation is politically neutral considering this is Nigeria where anything goes while every thing can be bought.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by AMIRACH: 1:46pm On Sep 13, 2010
we might not know maybe that might help to bring in the change we are actually looking for , by the time there is enough evidence to show how fraudulent the whole election went certain actions will be taken to retrace steps.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by lekanbar(m): 11:11am On Sep 14, 2010
Technology can aid in this process no doubt, but there is still an underlying problem that has to be fixed first, it's a welcome development though, let's see how it goes

http://lekanbaruwa./
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2010
What will Nairaland do?
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by netbizzy(m): 12:20am On Sep 15, 2010
So happy other youths in Nigeria are taking responsibility knowing fully well that we can change the tide. I believe so much in technology and have been privileged to use the internet in many projects. Right now I'm working with some groups on making sure we have a credible election. We will be having an online discussion on 1st oct 2010 by 10pm with as many Nigerians as possible to see how we can achieve a free and fair election through technology.

Already we started a website http://www.myvotecounts2011.net since June 2010 and the response on our facebook page as been encouraging facebook.com/nigerianvotes2011.

We intend to work with Nigerians that are not ready to work for any selfish interest of a politician but for the good of this country. We hope to use real live video clips, pictures, opinions recorded  by our field workers that we are recruiting presently. We are hoping that this time around Nigerians shall be concerned about who leads us and will guard their votes jealously till we make sure fairness and justice return to our land.
Re: Facebook Generation Gears Up To Monitor Nigeria Poll by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 15, 2010
nakedall:

common electricity we can't with all the professors of electricity we have, na facebook we go take vote.
T@meD0:

facebook ko, legbook ni. . . make dem no go face dem book o. 
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
babaearly:

What will Nairaland do?
I guess nl will set up its own monitoring team too

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People compare Homophobia To Racism? / 2015: Jonathan Moves To Capture S’west / The Supposed "Party Of Change" Has Been Caught Yet Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.