Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,072 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime (1963 Views)

Why Do People Get Married Especially Men Knowing Fully Well They Can't Cater For / Help Anytime I Get Angry I Destroy Things / I Easily Get Angry And Keep Malice A Lot, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2019
Good evening folks I really want to know why do people get angry when they are given anything with the left hand especially from the southern part of Nigeria. They just look at you with evil eyes like lack home training. Is it actually. A crime. Obama uses the left hand osinbajo uses his left hand too. And we got lots of left-handed persons. Please I want people to coment on this

Lalastic lala
Seun
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2019
I think the Yoruba people see it as disrespectful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by blackpanthar: 6:09pm On Mar 30, 2019
well I guess your older folks didnt explain this to you but here we go....

LONG TIME AGO IN NIGERIA... It was very rare to find people who were solely LEFT-HANDED.
So, the left hand was seen as a WEAK hand, and most people consider the fact that since it is a weak hand, we use it to hold things that are NOT important or of value to us.
IDIOMS were even constructed around the importance of the right hand.

Hence, giving anyone something with your Left Hand, began to feel disrespectful because If you are holding it with your weakest then you certainly do not value it enough and you do not value whomever you are giving it to. THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL.

However, it began to fade as more people got enlightened about left handed people in the world and our society.

ability19:
Good evening folks I really want to know why do people get angry when they are given anything with the left hand especially from the southern part of Nigeria. They just look at you with evil eyes like lack home training. Is it actually. A crime. Obama uses the left hand osinbajo uses his left hand too. And we got lots of left-handed persons. Please I want people to coment on this

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Shelumiel: 6:09pm On Mar 30, 2019
Superstition is the reason

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Lloydthesaint: 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2019
Some say it’s a sign of disregard

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 6:13pm On Mar 30, 2019
Shelumiel:
Superstition is the reason

Why did u say so sir who believe I. That presently?
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 6:14pm On Mar 30, 2019
Lloydthesaint:
Some say it’s a sign of disregard

My brother how is it disregard. Do they know if am a left handed person?
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2019
blackpanthar:
well I guess your older folks didnt explain this to you but here we go....

LONG TIME AGO IN NIGERIA... It was very rare to find people who were solely LEFT-HANDED.
So, the left hand was seen as a WEAK hand, and most people consider the fact that since it is a weak hand, we use it to hold things that are NOT important or of value to us.
IDIOMS were even constructed around the importance of the right hand.

Hence, giving anyone something with your Left Hand, began to feel disrespectful because If you are holding it with your weakest then you certainly do not value it enough and you do not value whomever you are giving it to. THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL.

However, it began to fade as more people got enlightened about left handed people in the world and our society.

First time am actually getting to know this. But my question remains do they know if that's my strongest hand as in the left hand and not the right. Am left-handed my dad is left-handed 2 of my siblings same. We get this bad look.when we give things with our dominant hand which is the left. Like my friend what at u doing. To avoid issues I actually just say sorry immediately.
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by SOFTENGR: 6:21pm On Mar 30, 2019
Give me US$ with left hand. I will not reject it.
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 6:23pm On Mar 30, 2019
SOFTENGR:
Give me US$ with left hand. I will not reject it.

Hahahahhaha very true a lot of them will.not reject. But rationale behind is wat I want to know.
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Oshin56(m): 6:38pm On Mar 30, 2019
That's black man black mentality especially Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 7:24pm On Mar 30, 2019
Oshin56:
That's black man black mentality especially Nigeria

My brother me tire oooh its not good ooo
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by dollytino4real(f): 8:24pm On Mar 30, 2019
it is a crime punishable by flogging senses into the offender
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Richy4(m): 8:59pm On Mar 30, 2019
It's just a cultural thing...

It's just like how people feel addressing someone by their first in name Nigeria... it's seen as one being disrespectful. .. you have to call the older person uncle, aunt etc..

That was one of the challenges I went through way back when I travelled out of the country....

I couldn't just figure out how to call my boss then (two decades my senior ) by his first name..... I recalled then that it sounds pretty weird to me.. call him sir, he felt I was insulting him by making him old... but when I became familiar with him, I began to address him as sir just to annoy him..

Nowadays it comes natural as if I was born to call people by their name.. though a little challenging when in Nigeria association.. u don't know which of the elderly ones that might like it or not...
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 10:43pm On Mar 30, 2019
dollytino4real:
it is a crime punishable by flogging senses into the offender

Is it in our constitution?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2019
Richy4:

It's just like how people feel addressing someone by their first in name Nigeria... it's seen as one being disrespectful. .. you have to call the older person uncle, aunt etc..

That was one of the challenges I went through way back when I travelled out of the country....

I couldn't just figure out how to call my boss then (two decades my senior ) by his first name..... I recalled then that it sounds pretty weird to me.. call him sir, he felt I was insulting him by making him old... but when I became familiar with him, I began to address him as sir just to annoy him..

Nowadays it comes natural as if I was born to call people by their name.. though a little challenging when in Nigeria association.. u don't know which of the elderly ones that might like it or not...

Wow. I understand you but from the part of the world u dare not call some one by their name take example at the hospital u continue to hear chief.chief. from junior colleagues down to the head of the department nurse paramedics doctors etc all follow the same pattern my question is it wrong to just address them by their names?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by sisisioge: 5:41am On Mar 31, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

An Hausa maruwa guy once insisted I must give him money with my right hand. Not that I didn't know better or fond of using my left, I was eating suga with the right and didn't want to use same hand to pick money. Had to beg the guy and showed him my situation before he agreed grin

It is a cultural thing in naija. You dare not give your elders anything with your left hand in Edo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Richy4(m): 6:08am On Mar 31, 2019
That's what I was talking about... It is not wrong to address people by their first name... but when they are older, it seems as if u are not their equal.. U have to show some respect ( African origins more especially are always particular about it)

But some how some where around the world, it is just nothing and importance were not attached to it...

Some times, we really need to sit ourselves down and ask/ think logically... who made all this rules.... who said it was morally wrong not to accept gift using left hand...
who really said u can't wear a short as a woman in the church or in an occasion...when you feel like without being judged by people (ie "morality police " ) ...who said as a young boy u can not wear a haircut / style of your choice while in school so that u can appear responsible while somewhere around the world their hair are longer and the appear like that. . .. who defined responsible/ decency in appearance ... smiley
There are lots of things that really needs an answer to in this world
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by mankettle(m): 6:27am On Mar 31, 2019
where I grew up, there was nothing wrong in giving things with the left hand. and till date I don't care what hand you use to give me things so far I collect am. of u wan give me money I go talk say na because na left hand I no go collect am?
I remember once, I went to the bank and gave a teller money with the left hand he refused to collect it, me too I refused to go. a superior officer came and looked at him and collected the money from me. I was like no use left hand loose job.
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 4:06pm On Mar 31, 2019
sisisioge:

An Hausa maruwa guy once insisted I must give him money with my right hand. Not that I didn't know better or fond of using my left, I was eating suga with the right and didn't want to use same hand to pick money. Had to beg the guy and showed him my situation before he agreed grin

It is a cultural thing in naija. You dare not give your elders anything with your left hand in Edo.

Meaning its all tribes now oh even northeners clamour for the right hand too. What is it they know that we don't know
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
Richy4:
That's what I was talking about... It is not wrong to address people by their first name... but when they are older, it seems as if u are not their equal.. U have to show some respect ( African origins more especially are always particular about it)

But some how some where around the world, it is just nothing and importance were not attached to it...

Some times, we really need to sit ourselves down and ask/ think logically... who made all this rules.... who said it was morally wrong not to accept gift using left hand...
who really said u can't wear a short as a woman in the church or in an occasion...when you feel like without being judged by people (ie "morality police " ) ...who said as a young boy u can not wear a haircut / style of your choice while in school so that u can appear responsible while somewhere around the world their hair are longer and the appear like that. . .. who defined responsible/ decency in appearance ... smiley
There are lots of things that really needs an answer to in this world

Very true sir
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
mankettle:
where I grew up, there was nothing wrong in giving things with the left hand. and till date I don't care what hand you use to give me things so far I collect am. of u wan give me money I go talk say na because na left hand I no go collect am?
I remember once, I went to the bank and gave a teller money with the left hand he refused to collect it, me too I refused to go. a superior officer came and looked at him and collected the money from me. I was like no use left hand loose job.

Men so left hand fit make person loose job mogbe o
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Greatzeus(m): 9:35pm On Mar 31, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Also some think it is badluck to receive something or give something with a left hand. It's just custom not real at all. But just don't give elders especially yorubas something with left hand,respect yourself grin unless you want to hear the story of how they followed your father to his in-laws place to marry your mother grin
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 3:14am On Apr 01, 2019
Greatzeus:

Also some think it is badluck to receive something or give something with a left hand. It's just custom not real at all. But just don't give elders especially yorubas something with left hand,respect yourself grin unless you want to hear the story of how they followed your father to his in-laws place to marry your mother grin

Funny stuffs am actually reading here lolxx
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by dollytino4real(f): 7:51pm On Apr 01, 2019
ability19:

Is it in our constitution?
not there but we recreate it 4 dat purpose
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by Uyi168: 7:56pm On Apr 01, 2019
Some see it as a sign of bad luck, especially when it's money..
Blacks and superstition sef..
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ImaIma1(f): 11:18pm On Apr 01, 2019
Richy4:

A lot of people make things complicated. I worked in a bank...here in Nigeria and first name is their policy even if you have white hair. Our regional manager would even scold you for calling him "sir".

A name is the identity we were given when we were born. I don't see why calling it is an insult. You can't even call some women from some tribes "aunty" and attach their names. It is still an insult that you mention their name especially if they have children.

I discourage friends that try to call me mummy this or mama that. The fact that i have a child doesn't erase my own identity. Some people carry respect as a sign post or banner.
Re: Why Do People Get Angry When Given Something With The Left Hand. Is It A Crime by ability19: 7:11pm On Oct 22, 2019
ImaIma1:

A lot of people make things complicated. I worked in a bank...here in Nigeria and first name is their policy even if you have white hair. Our regional manager would even scold you for calling him "sir".

A name is the identity we were given when we were born. I don't see why calling it is an insult. You can't even call some women from some tribes "aunty" and attach their names. It is still an insult that you mention their name especially if they have children.

I discourage friends that try to call me mummy this or mama that. The fact that i have a child doesn't erase my own identity. Some people carry respect as a sign post or banner.

Wow

(1) (Reply)

His Pe**** Is Small But She Loves Him / Baby Uses Joystick As Plaything! / Why Do Men Cheat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.