Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,032 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

Console Or Gaming Pc? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Console Or Gaming Pc? (3606 Views)

Rent A Video Game Console Or Cd / Which Racing Game Are You Playing Now? (console Or PC) / Building A Gaming Pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Console Or Gaming Pc? by haywhy(m): 5:23pm On Sep 09, 2010
Hey guys,
Just wondering about investing on a high end gaming PC or an Xbox/Ps console?
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by cyberpsi(m): 6:31pm On Sep 09, 2010
I think that depends on you personally. I tend to prefer a gaming pc as opposed to a console but to be fair the consoles are much cheaper. Also if you wanna get a high end pc now (a desktop preferably) i'd recommend getting one with an core i7 processor, one that has a DX11 capable graphics card and nothing less that a 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Checkout alienware.com for some samples of high end pcs
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Mobinga: 8:06pm On Sep 09, 2010
A gaming laptop. . . I love portability. . . and being able to play games without NEPA's wahala smiley
cyberpsi:

I think that depends on you personally. I tend to prefer a gaming pc as opposed to a console but to be fair the consoles are much cheaper. Also if you wanna get a high end pc now (a desktop preferably) i'd recommend getting one with an core i7 processor, one that has a DX11 capable graphics card and nothing less that a 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Checkout alienware.com for some samples of high end pcs

shocked shocked We should be looking at 200k
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by ogagusps3: 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2010
Get a ps3 or Xbox 360 and play the real way you're supposed to play cool
60k @ most
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by cyberpsi(m): 10:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
like i said, it's a matter of personal preference

Mobinga:

A gaming laptop. . .  I love portability. . .  and being able to play games without NEPA's wahala  smiley
shocked shocked We should be looking at 200k

There are very few high end gaming laptops and those that are available cost a whole lot more than 200k
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by haywhy(m): 3:41pm On Sep 10, 2010
I agree that alienware make some serious gaming Pc. I was thinking of the M17x laptop or building a desktop one myself since it could also be used for daily computing activities and games can be downloaded for free using torrent sites!
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by cyberpsi(m): 4:34pm On Sep 10, 2010
I wouldn't classify the M17x as a laptop. I'd tag it as a desktop replacement. It's too heavy and too large to be mobile. I'd rather get a desktop preferable the aurora alx. I'd get the same specs and spend less and use the change to get an inverter (against phcn wahala).

Although if you wanna get a desktop, can i recommend the studio xps 9100. You can customize it with an i7 processor and either a HD 5870 or HD5970 graphics card. That's all you need to play the current games (crysis 2 comes to mind) and the cards are dx11 capable so you wont have to worry about future games. plus they come with a 24 inch full HD monitor bundled. Check out dell's us site. i think they have a discount going on currently
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 10, 2010
most of the stuff i've read indicates that you get a better experience with pcs than with consoles, probably because consoles don't come with graphics cards (thats just an assumption)

games experience can be said to scalable on pcs, the better your spec, the better the graphics etal , while its the same on all consoles, since these all have the same specs, so in a way developers have limited options

A gaming laptop. . . I love portability. . . and being able to play games without NEPA's wahala

u will have an awful experience gaming on battery, imho - most laptops default to low power consumption states when power is cut off. your game will draaaaag

in the event that you run at normal power, at best 45 mins gaming time

the new 12 cells may help

as to gaming laptops being difficult to carry around - just get a good backpack

i have an alienware backpack - and that thing is sexy

a desktop is a better option, because its cheaper, and you can upgrade - all depends though.

sadly, a lot of developers seem to be committing to developing games for consoles only - because of piracy

hence no halo3, or gears of war 2 for pc sad

our chook eye has backfired.

they are losing wayy to much money and its true.

bioware released lair of the shadow broker, a mass effect 2 dlc on the 7th, i downloaded it on the 9th. and so did who knows how many others, rather than buy .

another advantage of pc over console - though that can be debated - is that you can customize your keyboard layout.

i for instance, use a logitech mouse which has buttons that can be mapped to the keyboard . beautifies my gaming experience
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Mobinga: 9:00pm On Sep 10, 2010
oyb:

most of the stuff i've read indicates that you get a better experience with pcs than with consoles, probably because consoles don't come with graphics cards (thats just an assumption)

games experience can be said to scalable on pcs, the better your spec, the better the graphics etal , while its the same on all consoles, since these all have the same specs, so in a way developers have limited options

u will have an awful experience gaming on battery, imho - most laptops default to low power consumption states when power is cut off. your game will draaaaag

a desktop is a better option, because its cheaper, and you can upgrade - all depends though.

sadly, a lot of developers seem to be committing to developing games for consoles only - because of piracy

our chook eye has backfired. they are losing wayy to much money and its true.

bioware released lair of the shadow broker, a mass effect 2 dlc on the 7th, i downloaded it on the 9th. and so did who knows how many others, rather than buy .

another advantage of pc over console - though that can be debated - is that you can customize your keyboard layout.

i for instance, use a logitech mouse which has buttons that can be mapped to the keyboard . beautifies my gaming experience

grin grin grin grin Im getting jealous. . . damn I need a gaming pc . . . by the way check d other thread
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by cyberpsi(m): 9:08pm On Sep 10, 2010
Hey @oyb. Whats your pc setup?
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 10, 2010
thinkpad w700
2.8ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram, 1gb nvidia quadro fx 3700M
17" 1920 x 1200 screen
ssd 80gb, 500gb 7200 rpm hdd

32 bit windows
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Mobinga: 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2010
oyb:

thinkpad w700
2.8ghz core 2 duo
4gb ram, 1gb nvidia quadro fx 3700M
17" 1920 x 1200 screen
ssd 80gb, 500gb 7200 rpm hdd

32 bit windows

DEATH shocked shocked
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by kosovo(m): 3:41pm On Sep 14, 2010
Console gamers have over the years and up till this moment be regarded as the rock of the gaming industry, the same can not be said of PC gamers, sad truth, PC gamers are loosers, they spend more but get less, i use a Sony viao quadcore laptop and have played all my PC games in the highest visuals and resolution possible, but the sad truth, it doest offer up to 40% of what my PS3 can offer, GT5 out in less than 2 months, how do i play that on my laptop?
alot of games comes on console first before it is ported to the PC, by the time the hype for a particular game in dead, the zeal to play that game dies along with it. . .

OFF topic. . .

I once said mass effect 2 was comming to the PS3, but it met alot of brick walls, some even began to question my 11 years of active gaming journalism. . Today, i have been vindicated once more . . . all my predictions are gaining momentum faster than expected, PS3 is 3 million less than the xbox 360, ( ps3 was 10.5 million less than the xbox 360 4 years ago and was  double the price of the xbox 360)  which GT5 could captalize on and hit the final nail on the xbox360.

brb
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 14, 2010
kosovo is out with his bs again

what crap

consoles are the bedrock of the gaming industry cheesy cheesy cheesy

say hello to 8bit graphics

all the great game makers today have their roots in pc games.

gta - what was the first platform it ran on?

doom , which introduced the first person shooter - what platform did it come out on?

the unreal engine, the enine behind so many great games of the day, where was its first version developed on?

and most of the real breakthroughs in gaming physics, AI , NPCs etal have their roots in pc game development

as to that daft blather about your sony viao not matching up to your ps3, if you could reason, you'd realize Sony deliberately made a console that cannot be emulated with today's hardware to protect themselves from piracy

i have emulators for n64, wii, ps2, and just about 90% of the old consoles- and so do a lot of peeps.i can simply download a super mario galaxy iso, buy a wiimote and ha! no need for a wii! thats the idea behind those high ps3 specs
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by obinna5000(m): 11:02pm On Sep 14, 2010
There are more interesting games on the console format than on PC.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 14, 2010
spambot angry

Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by obinna5000(m): 7:10am On Sep 15, 2010
@oyb
Are you sure the user is a spambot?

@topic
I prefer playing games on consoles than on a PC.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 15, 2010
obinna5000:

@oyb
Are you sure the user is a spambot?

@topic
I prefer playing games on consoles than on a PC.

spambot captured my post is what i'm sayin'

don't have a console, but i doubt if i'd prefer a console to a pc - how does one hack a console game/or run mods

is one able to run crysis or half life mods on console versions
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by obinna5000(m): 11:13am On Sep 15, 2010
@oyb
Not all console games has a PC version. While some developers choose to make games only for PC while some choose to make only for consoles. But some games are available on both PC and console formats.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by ugo2u(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
In all honesty, I have played both PC and Console and I will say that PC doesnt match console in anyway, if you want to play then buy a PS3 or XBOX 360, PC has many issues which includes graphic card compatibility, graphic quality, sound quality which varies across games, but console is standard and top quality all the way (no FPS issues), although I majorly play PC but am not a core gamer. Street Fighter 4, Far Cry 2, DMC 4, Halo, Crysis are the ones I play.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by kosovo(m): 5:21pm On Sep 15, 2010
oyb you have not the slighest idea of what you are talking about, You are simply clueless as i suspected earlier but has been confirmed beyound any resonable doubt. I know you love your PC so dearly and will do any thing to over hype it, but the sad truth is that it is no way near the Power of Console gaming. . .  You get everything right in BOX. .

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D
Massive Storage
Online Gaming
Online Store
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 15, 2010
kosovo:

oyb you have not the slighest idea of what you are talking about, You are simply clueless as i suspected earlier but has been confirmed beyound any resonable doubt. I know you love your PC so dearly and will do any thing to over hype it, but the sad truth is that it is no way near the Power of Console gaming. . .  You get everything right in BOX. .

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D doom, dukenukem quake
Massive Storage you think those discontinued catridges are media for massage storage
Online Gaming when did LAN games start from
Online Store can someone say steam
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless

and most of those things listed has its origins in games developed on the pc platform

anyway - if you're a cripple who prefers to be confined and tied up, enjoy playing your unconfigurable games on your console

games on the ps3/xbox are not there because they cannot run on a pc, but because the developers chose to make it that way

crytek's ceo originally intended that crysis would run only on console - but for some reason - he changed his mind - probably because he realises that crysis will NEVER REACH ITS FULL POTENTIAL on a console.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by kosovo(m): 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2010
KillZone 3 will Put crysis to shame, Remember the best graphical PS3 game (God of War 3) used only 50% of the Power of the Ps3, Ps3 is just 4 years, wait till we start scraching the iner portion of the Monster manchine, Most developers have over the years confirmed that they were still scratching the surface of the PS3. Remember how God of War 2 on the Ps2 put the biased gaming journalist to shame, 10 years into the PlayStation 2, God of War 2 can still stand tall among some Xbox360 games.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by Mobinga: 7:21pm On Sep 15, 2010
Fanboyism at its best
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 10:15pm On Sep 15, 2010
oyb:

our chook eye has backfired.

they are losing wayy to much money and its true.

Of course console have graphics cards

PS3 an Nvidia card and Xbox360 has one from ATI

kosovo:

Console gamers have over the years and up till this moment be regarded as the rock of the gaming industry, the same can not be said of PC gamers, sad truth, PC gamers are loosers, they spend more but get less, i use a Sony viao quadcore laptop and have played all my PC games in the highest visuals and resolution possible, but the sad truth, it doest offer up to 40% of what my PS3 can offer, GT5 out in less than 2 months, how do i play that on my laptop?
alot of games comes on console first before it is ported to the PC, by the time the hype for a particular game in dead, the zeal to play that game dies along with it. . .

OFF topic. . .

I once said mass effect 2 was comming to the PS3, but it met alot of brick walls, some even began to question my 11 years of active gaming journalism. . Today, i have been vindicated once more . . . all my predictions are gaining momentum faster than expected, PS3 is 3 million less than the xbox 360, ( ps3 was 10.5 million less than the xbox 360 4 years ago and was  double the price of the xbox 360)  which GT5 could captalize on and hit the final nail on the xbox360.

brb

Yes but PC's have more power than consoles and many people prefer the Keyboard and mouse set up for Shooters and Strategy games and the like.

ugo_2u:

In all honesty, I have played both PC and Console and I will say that PC doesnt match console in anyway, if you want to play then buy a PS3 or XBOX 360, PC has many issues which includes graphic card compatibility, graphic quality, sound quality which varies across games, but console is standard and top quality all the way (no FPS issues), although I majorly play PC but am not a core gamer. Street Fighter 4, Far Cry 2, DMC 4, Halo, Crysis are the ones I play.

Yes PC games have compatibility issues but if you have a good powerful PC you can play games with much higher graphics quality that console. That said I personally prefer playing games on consoles. It really all comes down to what you prefer and what lets have more fun. Some prefer consoles and some prefer PC.

kosovo:

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D
Massive Storage
Online Gaming
Online Store
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless

I am pretty sure true HD is on PC. Heck I am pretty sure you get even higher resolutions than on consoles.
Motion control is mainly for consoles true but there aren't that many excellent games for it.
I am pretty sure that NVIDIA had graphics cards that support True 3D. Besides I don't think that there are many 3D games on consoles now if any.
PC have even more storage than Consoles, you noob.
This one made me laugh. PC's have been doing online gaming for much longer than consoles, you noob.
PC's also have an online store. It's called "Steam", you noob.
Home isn't all that great from what I hear. I wouldn't be surprised if you found something like it on PC.
Media hub. What does that even mean?
Wifi exists on PC's too.

kosovo:

KillZone 3 will Put crysis to shame, Remember the best graphical PS3 game (God of War 3) used only 50% of the Power of the Ps3, Ps3 is just 4 years, wait till we start scraching the iner portion of the Monster manchine, Most developers have over the years confirmed that they were still scratching the surface of the PS3. Remember how God of War 2 on the Ps2 put the biased gaming journalist to shame, 10 years into the PlayStation 2, God of War 2 can still stand tall among some Xbox360 games.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2010
kosovo:

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D
Massive Storage
Online Gaming
Online Store
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless

I am pretty sure true HD is on PC. Heck I am pretty sure you get even higher resolutions than on consoles.
Motion control is mainly for consoles true but there aren't that many excellent games for it.
I am pretty sure that NVIDIA had graphics cards that support True 3D. Besides I don't think that there are many 3D games on consoles now if any.
PC have even more storage than Consoles, you noob.
This one made me laugh. PC's have been doing online gaming for much longer than consoles, you noob.
PC's also have an online store. It's called "Steam", you noob.
Home isn't all that great from what I hear. I wouldn't be surprised if you found something like it on PC.
Wifi exists on PC's too.

kosovo:

KillZone 3 will Put crysis to shame,

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is just hilarious.

kosovo:

Remember the best graphical PS3 game (God of War 3) used only 50% of the Power of the Ps3, Ps3 is just 4 years, wait till we start scraching the iner portion of the Monster manchine, Most developers have over the years confirmed that they were still scratching the surface of the PS3. Remember how God of War 2 on the Ps2 put the biased gaming journalist to shame, 10 years into the PlayStation 2, God of War 2 can still stand tall among some Xbox360 games.

I admit GOW3 is impressive, for a console game but it doesn't touch the best on a PC. Same goes for Killzone 3 and any other console game you care to mention. Also if GOW2 can touch some Xbox 360 games it can also touch some PS3 games but I seriously doubt it can do either.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2010
kosovo:

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D
Massive Storage
Online Gaming
Online Store
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless

PC have even more storage than Consoles.
This one made me laugh. PC's have been doing online gaming for much longer than consoles.
PC's also have an online store. It's called "Steam".
Wifi exists on PC's too.

kosovo:

kosovo:

Remember the best graphical PS3 game (God of War 3) used only 50% of the Power of the Ps3, Ps3 is just 4 years, wait till we start scraching the iner portion of the Monster manchine, Most developers have over the years confirmed that they were still scratching the surface of the PS3. Remember how God of War 2 on the Ps2 put the biased gaming journalist to shame, 10 years into the PlayStation 2, God of War 2 can still stand tall among some Xbox360 games.

I admit GOW3 is impressive, for a console game but it doesn't touch the best on a PC. Same goes for Killzone 3 and any other console game you care to mention. Also if GOW2 can touch some Xbox 360 games it can also touch some PS3 games but I seriously doubt it can do either.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 10:38pm On Sep 15, 2010
kosovo:

Full-HD
Motion control
True 3D
Massive Storage
Online Gaming
Online Store
Social hub (eg. Home)
Media Hub
Wifi

The list is endless

This one made me laugh. PC's have been doing online gaming for much longer than consoles.
Wifi exists on PC's too.

kosovo:

kosovo:

Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by kosovo(m): 12:44am On Sep 16, 2010
For people dreaming that alot of Gamers prefere keyboard and mouse for FPS and strategy games, wait till Move and kinect comes out, they will both put the old skool keyboard to shame, m not too sure about Kinect, but Sony's 1:1 lag-free motion sensing device (Move) WILL do some damages . . . Precision at it peak!
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 12:58am On Sep 16, 2010
It's unlikely that Kinect will be more precise than a Mouse and keyboard for those sorts of games. From what I hear it is only a little bit more advanced than the wiimote.

Also, Killzone 3 puting crysis to shame? BWAHAHAHA!!! That is hilarious.

As for other things you have said?

Wifi exists on PC's too.

Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 1:03am On Sep 16, 2010
oyb:

and most of those things listed has its origins in games developed on the pc platform

anyway - if you're a cripple who prefers to be confined and tied up, enjoy playing your unconfigurable games on your console

games on the ps3/xbox are not there because they cannot run on a pc, but because the developers chose to make it that way

crytek's ceo originally intended that crysis would run only on console - but for some reason - he changed his mind - probably because he realises that crysis will NEVER REACH ITS FULL POTENTIAL on a console.

But Crysis 2 is coming consoles isn't it.

While console games lack the flexibility of some PC games they also give you the convenience, assurance and unified structure that you can only find on consoles. The way I see it all comes down to the individual gamer and what they like.
Re: Console Or Gaming Pc? by lumzi23: 1:10am On Sep 16, 2010
Who keeps deleting my posts.

Killzone 3 putting Crysis to shame. Stop that right now.

Wifi exists on PC's too.

Also, Move is only a little more accurate than a Wiimote from what I hear.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Here's What Any Presidential Candidate Need To Do To Win GAMERS Over In 2019 >>> / How To Configure A Fake PS3 Controller Wirelessly On Pc / You Can Now Unban Your Xbox 360 Thanks To Modders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.