Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,604 members, 7,770,592 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:54 AM

Building A Gaming Pc - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Building A Gaming Pc (6382 Views)

In Need Of A Gaming Laptop Please Suggest / Write your own video game reviews and more on-Doujutsu and join a gaming comm / Will You Play Games In A Gaming Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Gaming Pc by v3: 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
If you've built one or you plan on building one, please share your experience here. Thanks cool
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by EvilBrain1(m): 8:09pm On Nov 02, 2011
Are you in Lagos? I'm also interested in building one and I need to know where to get decent graphics cards for reasonable prices.
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by v3: 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
@Evil Brain
Yes, i'm in Lagos. I'm trying to get a comprehensive list of hardware that's needed. Any ideas?

1 Like

Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 03, 2011
I use Alienware M17x built from the company directly
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by v3: 8:21am On Nov 03, 2011
odiaero:

We're talking about building from scratch sir ( ~._.)~
Whats the hardware config of your machine sir, please share with us.
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Mobinga: 10:22am On Nov 03, 2011
odiaero:

Plus he's talking about a desktop!!! angry

I have no experience in this area of computing grin

Maybe check out http://tomshardware.com and http://newegg.com
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by EvilBrain1(m): 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
v3:

@Evil Brain
Yes, i'm in Lagos. I'm trying to get a comprehensive list of hardware that's needed. Any ideas?

It depends on what you want. The most important component on a gaming PC is the graphics card(s). You'll need to decide whether to go with Nvidia or AMD because that'll determine which motherboard you buy. There's not much difference between the two unless you're planning on booting Linux (AMD linux drivers suck balls) so decide based on price/performance ratio. Your motherboard should support either SLI or Crossfire depending on whether you're using Nvidia or AMD graphics respectively. Get the best graphics card you can afford. You can upgrade later by getting a second one.

You don't really need a top of the line processor as most games these days are limited by the graphics cards not CPU. You can probably get away with a core i5 or a decent AMD Athlon (make sure the motherboard supports this as well!).

Buy as much RAM as possible, at least 8GB. The stuff is cheap nowadays and makes a big difference in performance. Also get a solid state drive in addition to a regular HDD if you can afford it. Put Windows and your game installs on the SSD and everything else on the HDD for additional speed.

Don't forget to get a nice, big case with a fan. And tie all the wires inside together with paper tape to improve airflow. You don't want something to overheat and blow the day after you set it up. Add a decent monitor, mouse and keyboard and you're set.

You're better off getting all this stuff online or abroad if you know anybody that's travelling. Otherwise you'l just have to walk around computer village and hope for the best. I didn't mention any specific models because prices and relatice values change constantly. You should decide what to get just before you buy it.

Good luck and keep me posted.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 04, 2011
@ALL, i have a friend in Nigeria, he wants to build A PC for gaming and FSX, he have 2500 dollars cash, and i cant and dont have time moving around to send stuff back to nigeria to him, he needs High Nvidia graphics Cards because of the Fsx he wants to use in it, any place to get this in nigeria and build up the pc?

Below is what is need of the building

-Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core Processor @ 2.4GHz
-8GB of RAM
-nVidia GTX 460 (1GB)
-Win7 Ultimate x64
-1TB HDD
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Mobinga: 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2011
odiaero:

@ALL, i have a friend in Nigeria, he wants to build A PC for gaming and FSX, he have 2500 dollars cash, and i cant and dont have time moving around to send stuff back to nigeria to him, he needs High Nvidia graphics Cards because of the Fsx he wants to use in it, any place to get this in nigeria and build up the pc?

Below is what is need of the building

-Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core Processor @ 2.4GHz
-8GB of RAM
-nVidia GTX 460 (1GB)
-Win7 Ultimate x64
-1TB HDD

This should cost N150k Maximum. The lack of good hardware vendors in Nigeria is sickening.

1 Like

Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 04, 2011
He dont mind, but where can one get it in Lagos?
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by v3: 4:41pm On Nov 04, 2011
odiaero:

He'd have to sweat it out to get good stuff cause alot of crap will be thrown in his face and if he ain't the careful type, he'll end up buying inferior stuff.

@Mobinga
Which motherboard, power will go with that config?

1 Like

Re: Building A Gaming Pc by EvilBrain1(m): 4:42pm On Nov 04, 2011
odiaero:

You can try ordering them from Amazon.com. A friend of mine just got some stuff from them delivered here in Lagos. Depending on their shipping costs, it's likely to be cheaper than computer village. It'll cost even less if you're willing to trust NIPOST.
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2011
^^ Amazon dont ship those kind stuff to Nigeria
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by EvilBrain1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2011
Actually, they do. It just takes longer and is more expensive. Check their site.
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2011
^^ I buy things from Amazon all the time, and own account there too, they dont ship to Nigeria
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by EvilBrain1(m): 3:06am On Nov 08, 2011
odiaero:

^^ I buy things from Amazon all the time, and own account there too, they dont ship to Nigeria

I went back and double-checked. Amazon recently started shipping to Nigeria and other African countries but for now, they don't ship electronics or other expensive goods. Not sure why, maybe because of the yahoo boys? Anyway, a friend of mine ordered an iPad2 cover and it was delivered to Lagos less than 2 weeks ago.

I guess we're both right.
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by princeuk21(m): 10:13pm On Dec 31, 2012
How much will a 1GB nevidia graphics card cost me in nigeria??
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by 9ineGames: 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2013
9ice to know we now getting really serious on gaming in africa !!

1 Like

Re: Building A Gaming Pc by akemzo007: 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
This is my current config. :

Phenom X4@3.2ghz = ~ 14ghz
Ati 6450hd 720p (1gb)
4gb ram
1.5TB HDD
MSi motherboard(hdmi x2)
msi atx power
tracer black mini tower
crystal sound blaster
logi tech wireless mouse,pad and kb
32' 1080p Westinghouse LED
Spent about 600usd total
Getting very good fps on pc,ps and xbox games
Note:Your graphic card and processor speed are the most important gaming requirements
Re: Building A Gaming Pc by purplekayc(m): 8:31pm On Jul 09, 2018
Dead thread right?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PS4 Gamers Ogun State Chapter / For Candy Crush (saga) Lovers / Sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.