Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,221 members, 7,811,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy (19389 Views)

Tinubu Dynasty Of Thieves: They Want To Buy A Yacht For N5b - Sowore / 2023: Plot To ‘uproot’ Tinubu’s Dynasty Thickens In Lagos / Gamble On The End Of Tinubu Dynasty In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by seguntijan(m): 7:31am On Apr 06, 2019
By Abdullah Abdulganiy

Loathe him or like him, Dr Saraki was – and probably still is – a phenomenon in Nigerian politics. It is no mean feat for one to be a force to reckon with in Nigerian politics for so long as in his case. Some have not spent up to a tenure before meeting their waterloo in the political space of Nigeria. Roughly, Saraki’s sojourn through the political terrain of Nigeria dates back to some 20 years ago or beyond. Somebody is asking how the fuss about Saraki really connects with the above headline. There we go!

I had on an occasion written a piece juxtaposing the personality of Chief Bola Tinubu with that of Dr Bukola Saraki. (See Aledeh: “Jagaban: What Our Saraki Must Learn From This Rare Gem). There I argued that there are seemingly a lot of connections between both political figures. I do not want to rehash that here again. The eventful collapse (fall, if you like) of the Saraki dynasty has however brought to the fore for the umpteenth time the long abandoned issue of comparing the Lagos feudal lord with the Governor-general of Kwara.

It is no more news that the Saraki dynasty has been cast into the dustbin of history. What is responsible for this? A mass hysteria (some will say revolution) supported by a catchphrase of “o to ge” which translates roughly to enough is enough. In other words, enough of holding Kwara hostage. It is believed that the Saraki dynasty had held sway in Kwara State for about 40 years or thereabouts. The dynasty was founded by the patriarch Saraki (Dr Olushola Saraki, a one-time majority leader in the parliament, that is).
In his days, the elder Saraki was solely responsible for who gets what, when and how in Kwara State. Baba played his politics very well. He must have read Niccolo Machiavelli. It is only a disciple of Machiavelli that could corral the people for “puff-puff” in the afternoon as he did, snatching their destiny in the night. I beg your pardon if that is too blunt anyway. I don’t know of other way to present it. So, advise not abuse me.

After his demise – an account has it that it was before – the younger Saraki also became the all-in-all of Kwara politics. He imposes and deposes at will as though he was a tin-god. Anyways, he was in the actual sense. Only a tin-god can slap a sitting governor and go scot-free. The story is becoming long and readers may become weary. After about 16 years, Saraki also lost what he met on a platter of gold (apologies to Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi). Some attributed his fall to the curse his father laid on him. Others said it was due to his arrogance. Yet some others are of the view that his greed and over-ambitiousness led to his defeat. Choose any of the above and you will not be incorrect.

I knew all was done for Saraki when he started undermining federal might. In my own opinion, federal might plus the masses’ hysteria gave the collapse of the Saraki dynasty. The Sarakis have never won a free and fair election in Kwara. Somebody is saying that is not correct. You need not be an Aristotle to know the above. It’s no rocket science. What the Sarakis rely upon pre-2015 used to be federal might and politics of violence. In the 2015 general election, the popularity of the APC presidential flagbearer, Muhammadu Buhari, was the saving grace of the Sarakis. The results of the 2019 elections are testaments.

Things soon fell apart (apologies to Baba Chinua Achebe) in the 2019 general election. The first error Saraki committed was leaving the ruling party. By that, he made himself porous. All his “good boys” were apprehended and all eyes were on him. The massive security deployed to Kwara State, the change of INEC officials that will man Kwara elections on the eve of the gubernatorial election could adduce to this. So, the masses’ revolution also formed a synergy with the above. In no time therefore, Saraki was ousted.
I knew the chicken had come home to roost for the Sarakis when the APC presidential candidate, Buhari was billed to visit Kwara for his routine campaign. Despite the chicanery deployed by the original houseboy, Dr Ahmed Fatai that is, Saraki was still disappointed by the massive turnout of Kwarans to welcome Buhari.

What Ahmed did was to corral all the commercial motorcycle operators (popularly known as taxi drivers) in the government house in a bid to discourage the people from welcoming the President. To their utmost discomfiture, most people walked to the venue from far and near, notwithstanding the support offered by some APC members who had vehicles. At this juncture, the Sarakis had given up on the people of Kwara.

No election had witnessed the shrinking of Saraki in weight than this. He toiled and toiled to no avail. His hegemony would later fall. It is within the context of Saraki’s fall that some political observers have been speculating that Tinubu’s is next. But I beg to disagree. While it is true that no empire or dynasty lasts forever, all things being equal the lion of Bourdillon’s stranglehold of Lagos may not crash in 2023 and for a longer time.

It is true that no dynasty can last forever. In the long run, it will crash for a reason or the other. It may be as a result of the death of the face of the dynasty or the consciousness of the people. A man or a family cannot continue to lord it over the people till eternity. Power is transient. Even the Zhou dynasty that held sway in China for 790 years crashed on a particular day. Libya’s Gaddafi was also sacked not because he was a bad leader, but for the fact that the people wanted a change in government. The fall of political dynasties is therefore a natural law.

However, as against the speculations of many that the Tinubu dynasty will follow suit in no time after Saraki’s, I can argue that, barring any unforeseen development, the dynasty is destined to live longer in Lagos beyond 2023. For the moralists, I am not here to say Tinubu is a saint. In fact, I have reservations for his brand of politics. But you cannot shy away from the fact that Tinubu is a blessing when placed side by side other Nigerian politicians of his ilk.

In the previous series, I chronicled those factors that led to the fall of the Saraki dynasty. All those factors culminated in the rise of the masses’ consciousness in Kwara State. In the case of Lagos however, those factors that can degenerate in the collapse of the Tinubu hegemony have been relatively non-existent. An average Lagosian is still pleased with the Tinubu dynasty. Developmental strides are on-going in the nooks and crannies of Lagos. Though more efforts can still be made. Nevertheless, when Lagos is placed side by side some other states on development basis, it will continue to be a champion (local champion if you like).
Tinubu, the face of the Tinubu dynasty, is in many ways the opposite of Saraki. Ace columnist Segun Adeniyi narrated how Saraki continued to look down on everyone in Kwara State until he met his waterloo. He added that Saraki was said to have been calling those old enough to father him by their names. He disdains everyone in the state. Not even the governor was exempted. Rumor has it that he once slapped the governor of Kwara State. Tinubu, on the other hand, is humble and never undermines the might of anyone --- not even the rank and file.

I was in the company of an elderly to the house of a grassroots politician in Ilasamaja, Lagos during the Ambode-APC tango. While discussing the factors that led to the fall of Ambode, governor of Lagos State, the man underscored that the prime factor was his arrogance and in-your-face demeanor for old party men. He added that not even Tinubu could disdain those elders Ambode scorned. He then emphasized that a factor that had been lifting Tinubu higher was his humility. He relayed how some party members had gone to the national leader of the APC to solicit his support to get a new transformer in their community. Tinubu was said to have not even dressed up properly before running down to welcome them. He assured them that their desire would be granted. In less than three days, a brand new transformer landed in that community. This is humility if you ask me.

Tinubu, as opposed to Saraki, engages technocrats and advisors. He also listens to their advices which translates to the array of developmental strides in Lagos. Saraki, on the other hand, doesn’t listen to advices. He is full of himself. The fact that he engages the least qualified people to handle certain political offices added salt to his injury. All these paved ways for the loopholes in his government and that of his successor which was exploited by the opposition to drive him out of power. The Tinubu dynasty has a roadmap it follows in governing Lagos as opposed to the visionless Saraki dynasty.

In addition, Tinubu is a man of his people. He doesn’t move far away from them. He is always at home to listen to their grudges. In contrast, Saraki is not that kind of politician that moves closer to the people. An account has it that he spent most of his time in Lagos while he was governor of Kwara State. Ditto he spends most of his days in Abuja as senator than in Kwara. How does he know the grudges of his people then? All politics is local.

In addition, Saraki is an over-ambitious politician. He wants everything to come his way. This is why he is the “governor” of Kwara State, and at the same time the PDP state leader, the PDP national leader, the senate president, a presidential aspirant under the platform of the PDP, a senatorial aspirant in the same vein… You can add to the list. Saraki simply follows the philosophy of what I cannot get with my hand, I will rather use magnet to attract it. His ascension to the office of the president of the senate has been his bane. You should learn how to quit when the ovation is loud.
Tinubu, on the other hand, also has ambitions, but was not as ambitious as Saraki. An account has it that he eyed the presidency seat in 2015. But he would later quit when he was told that his ambition may forestall the party’s victory. The Saraki I know will never do that. If he gets his way, he can choose to be the president, senate president, governor of Kwara State, chief judge at a go.

Tinubu creates wealth where Saraki lavishes it. For the whole of 20 years Saraki spent in politics, no company or business organization is under his control in Kwara State --- not a single one. His media company has been operating epileptically in recent times. This is not Tinubu. If you like say he steals, he has, to the best of my knowledge, about 5 business organizations in Lagos State that several Lagosians and non-Lagosians are benefitting enormously from. Tell me how such a person will fall in no distant time. Add all these plus the fact that his has the backing of federal might; what you get is that the Tinubu dynasty has come to stay beyond 2023.

Comparing Saraki to Tinubu is analogous to comparing death to life. There is a wide range differences between the two political actors. While one is greedy, the other is benevolent. While one is pompous and full of himself, the other is humble and respectful. While one creates wealth, the other destroys it. While one builds friendship, the other ruins it. Thus, predicting the fall of Tinubu using the Saraki parable is unfounded and a hasty generalization. If you ask me, Tinubu’s dynasty, barring any unforeseen development, has come to stay in 2023 and beyond.

Abdullah is a public affairs analyst. Reach him via 08090637356 or olamilekanhalarho@gmail.com.

https://ikengachronicles.com/why-tinubus-dynasty-may-not-crash-in-2023-and-beyond-ii/

42 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by celeiyke: 8:06am On Apr 06, 2019
Oya go and collect ur own brown envelope at Bourdillion

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by KwoiZabo(m): 9:12am On Apr 06, 2019
I don't blame Tinubu, I blame people like the writer (who are so many with us here in Lagos) for making Tinubu Powerful. Another thing that makes tinubu powerful is that many Yorubas think/know that if Tinubu's dynasty fails, it will open Lagos political space and allow "non-indigenes" to have a greater say in Lagos politics, so Tinubu is a rallying point.
Talking about, IGR and development, Lagos has performed averagely. I can count 10 states that has performed better than Lagos since the return to democracy. Lagos is the dirtiest state, has the worst roads etc the only thing that works for lagos and makes its IGR high is (1) Its location, (2) its the defunct capital of the country - FG left massive infrastructure like Ports (Sea & Air), Bridges (3rd Mainland etc), Stadiums, National theatre, Housing Estates, Buildings (braod street) etc. No state can boast of all these. (3) Security - I must give this to the yorubas, they are Peaceful unlike the North and NigerDelta.

modified

States that have done better than Lagos
Kano
Gombe
Kwara
Edo
Rivers
AkwaIbom
Anambra
Enugu

maybe
Ebonyi & Ogun

Tinubu's Dynasty will end very soon - latest2027

30 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by obinoral1179(m): 9:34am On Apr 06, 2019
KwoiZabo:
I don't blame Tinubu, I blame people like the writer (who are so many with us here in Lagos) for making Tinubu Powerful. Another thing that makes tinubu powerful is that many Yorubas think/know that if Tinubu's dynasty fails, it will open Lagos political space and allow "non-indigenes" to have a greater say in Lagos politics, so Tinubu is a rallying point.
Talking about, IGR and development, Lagos has performed averagely. I can count 10 stets that has performed better than Lagos since the return to democracy. Lagos is the dirtiest state, has the worst roads etc the only thing that works for lagos and makes its IGR high is (1) Its location, (2) its the defunct capital of the country - FG left massive infrastructure like Ports (Sea & Air), Bridges (3rd Mainland etc), Stadiums, National theatre, Housing Estates, Buildings (braod street) etc. No state can boast of all these. (3) Security - I must give this to the yorubas, they are Peaceful unlike the North and NigerDelta.

you just brought tribalism to this topics again must everything centre around hate....

Just as the op said that Tinubu is not a saint but he has work hard to get to where he is. Having influence in South west and beyond is no mean feat, it takes doggedness and determination to get it... One day the dynasty will end but for now let's wait and see what sanwo olu will deliver to Lagos.....

92 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by forgiveness: 9:49am On Apr 06, 2019
KwoiZabo:
Talking about, IGR and development, Lagos has performed averagely. I can count 10 stets that has performed better than Lagos since the return to democracy. Lagos is the dirtiest state, has the worst roads etc the only thing that works for lagos and makes its IGR high is (1) Its location, (2) its the defunct capital of the country - FG left massive infrastructure like Ports (Sea & Air), Bridges (3rd Mainland etc), Stadiums, National theatre, Housing Estates, Buildings (braod street) etc. No state can boast of all these. (3) Security - I must give this to the yorubas, they are Peaceful unlike the North and NigerDelta.

Which states are doing better than Lagos? grin

83 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Mace0lane: 9:54am On Apr 06, 2019
This is not surprising their lives n entire existence is predicated on hate, that is what PDP tot them.
obinoral1179:
you just brought tribalism to this topics again must everything centre around hate....
KwoiZabo post=77306871:

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Mace0lane: 9:56am On Apr 06, 2019
If the bigoted dullard mentioned any state genuinely doing beta make I die.
forgiveness:

Which states are doing better than Lagos? grin

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Peacecore: 10:17am On Apr 06, 2019
KwoiZabo:

ppl like u are d reason y ppl don't join pdp. Y won't u b truthful for once.

54 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by forgiveness: 11:14am On Apr 06, 2019
Mace0lane:
If the bigoted dullard mentioned any state genuinely doing beta make I die.

Hahahaha! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Auxtin85(m): 11:52am On Apr 06, 2019
Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by NinjaMetahuman: 11:53am On Apr 06, 2019
[s]
KwoiZabo:

[/s]pile of crap as usual from our hate filled, dung slinging flat head from bifla cheesy

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by chiedu7: 11:54am On Apr 06, 2019
I hope they don't dribble Tinubu as they did 2015.

Meanwhile Tinubu & Osingbade think the North will hand over to them.

That's if Osingbade won't have my helicopter crashes too.

Meanwhile the North is planning a 2023 replacement.

How Tinubu or Osingbade dey plan become President go dey interesting.

Make Tinubu get ein choice for Senate President & Speaker Of House 1st grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9075974_thesun_jpegc23a3b366f736f00900c537d64a25d1a
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/northll-field-better-candidate-for-2023-presidency-shettima/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Centcanada: 11:54am On Apr 06, 2019
Political forcast. Are you God? You just want to write just to make name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by ClearFlair: 11:54am On Apr 06, 2019
Atiku and Obi and their foolish supporters will continue to fail

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 06, 2019
People hold dynasty where the inhabitants are fools and asslickers. If Tinubu wants to hold perpetual dynasty in the southwest, he is free. It tells alot the type of people in the area. Who talks about dynasty in any liberal developed country. You see dynasty in mumu countries

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Cletus77(m): 11:55am On Apr 06, 2019
So all this note just to give credit to Tinubu..

I won't be surprised if someone wrote this about Saraki in the past.

Let APC become the opposition, and PDP with federal might witchunt APC let's see if Tinubu dynasty will survive.

Someone will just sit at his house and be forming political analyst for the case of someone who has achieved great in politics

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Denikayan: 11:57am On Apr 06, 2019
Tinubu is a grass root politician with structures.

You need to destroy his structures before you can get Tinubu.

Facing him squarely is effort in futility

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Thisis2raw(m): 11:57am On Apr 06, 2019
A man or a family cannot continue to lord it over the people till eternity. Power is transient. Even the Zhou dynasty that held sway in China for 790 years crashed on a particular day. Libya’s Gaddafi was also sacked not because he was a bad leader, but for the fact that the people wanted a change in government. The fall of political dynasties is therefore a natural law.

This all that needs to be said

2 Likes

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by ictjobber: 11:58am On Apr 06, 2019
Time will tell

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Xisnin(m): 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2019
Wrong.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by sacajawea: 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2019
This is a Very Foolish Article, How Can a Person say Tinubu is Humble

5 Likes

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by ArmaniUhuru: 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2019
Op, so you are saying the dynasty will definitely crash but not anytime soon?

Las Las the dynasty go still crash. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2019
do you think saraki is done, he just have to wait for four years again and contest for the senate-house after buhuri finishes his 2nd term to remain relevant.. so i dont think he is done

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by Sanchez01: 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
KwoiZabo:

At the emboldened, kindly mention ONLY THREE STATES and send me a PM. I'll reward you, I swear down. Be sure to back them with stats.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Tinubu’s Dynasty May Not Crash Anytime Soon - By Abdullah Abdulganiy by DonroxyII: 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
The article is topnotch ....

Saraki fought Federal might and that is one mistake his papa never make throughout his life ..... Papa Saraki always concede to federal power and he nurture no federal ambition, all he wanted was Kwara state ..... Abuja always allowed him once he delivered!!

Baba Saraki was also a grassroot politician n a grandmaster and a one minute decision man, he can change a chairman on the morning of election and nothing will happen...... He will just tell the people, Fellow Kwarans , We are now voting for so so so and not so so so anymore .... so be it !!

That was what Bukola met but youthful exuberance and power of money destroyed his 2019 ambitions......

Also, it could be a game towards mega game !!!

I don't believe Power of Bukola has waned, he might be lying low for a powerful resurrection, If PDP should zone President to the north which Bukola will actively support in 2023, He will dine again with northern hegemony and bounce back ..... Fully ...... So, The Federal Might might be coming back to Bukola in 2023 ....... !!!

That guy sabi ooo but he ain't Tinubu....

Tinubu is better for lagosians than Bukola for Kwarans .... ..... Tinubu wants greater Lagos and he atop the greatness .......... Bukola doesn't want greatness for Kwara because Great Kwara and exposed Kwara will never follow Bukola.

You can not fight federal might when you have nothing at home ....if free and Fair election should be casted in Kwara 1million times, Bukola will lose 1million times ..... If Tinubu should war Federal govt, he will calmly recoil back to Lagos (Tinubu has solid Structures in Lagos) as was done during Obj regime and launch a crusade from there across SW ......

But Bukola has no structures in Kwara and He doesn't have ambition of establishing one ..... He just wants to conserve power using his powerful friends (Likemind friends) and his own means !!

If only he really wish well for his people , It would have been better !!!

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Supreme Court Adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s Case To Sept 14 / While The President Was Away / Watch Out! Tinubu Will Be Nigeria's Best President Ever, Says Matawalle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.