Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages (16243 Views)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 7:00am On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

@ chyz

itsekiri are not yoruba. Stop spreading misinformation.

The other day you also said akoko edo is yoruba.

They're not.

Are you yourself yoruba? and if you are then why are you yoruba? Yes i did say my friend is from akoko edo and he's yoruba so what? prove me wrong! if you think yoruba only extends from Ogun,Oyo, Ondo,Ekiti, Lagos, Osun,and Kwara u are the biggest fool alive.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 7:07am On Sep 12, 2010
and why are you busting your knickers over who is or isnt yoruba?

akoko edo is not yoruba. END OF.

They are Edo, you this clown.

tell your friend that's what they told you on nairaland.

hiss.

if your friend has a yoruba father from somewhere outside akoko edo then he can say he's yoruba.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 7:09am On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

and why are you busting your knickers over who is or isnt yoruba?

akoko edo is not yoruba. END OF.

They are Edo, you this clown.

tell your friend that's what they told you on nairaland.

hiss.

Are you yoruba?
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 7:10am On Sep 12, 2010
ask me one more time and you'll get an answer.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 7:11am On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

ask me one more time and you'll get an answer.

Yes or no?
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 7:16am On Sep 12, 2010
I am akoko edo.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 7:17am On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

I am akoko edo.

Good. nuff sed.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by AndreUweh(m): 11:39am On Sep 12, 2010
@Chyz: There is Akoko in Ondo state. They are Yorubas.
Do not mistake it for Akoko Edo in Edo state.
Have a nice Sunday.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by Obiagu1(m): 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2010
Is ezeagu not the same guy that was arguing that Nigeria has 250+ languagues and Isoko is not Urhobo. You must be clueless.

ezeagu:
Ishan is a major ethnic group and it is missing from this list, which means there are other ethnic groups missing from this list. Ethnic groups in Nigeria may actually be 250+

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by AndreUweh(m): 3:18pm On Sep 12, 2010
Egun language is not in that list.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by ChinenyeN(m): 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2010
Obiagu1, that quote is about ethnicity, and so was the topic you derived the quote from. It wasn't about mode of speech.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by ezeagu(m): 4:44pm On Sep 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Legbo is a language of spoken in Cross River state not Afikpo. The Legbo people bear Igbo names that are common in Afikpo eg Kanu Agabi. This former minister is Legbo and not Igbo.
My coursemate during my undergraduate days shared a common surname (Agbi) with a lecturer from Cross River state. Yet one is Igbo and the other is not.

The website I got the information from says that it is spoken in Afikpo LGA and they got their sources from published books on Nigerian languages.

ChinenyeN:

Ethno-linguistic groups is a better expression for that list, in my opinion.

I agree, but if you want to talk about distinct languages then the list plus any smaller ones missing is the count of distinct Nigerian languages.

Obiagu1:

Is ezeagu not the same guy that was arguing that Nigeria has 250+ languagues and Isoko is not Urhobo. You must be clueless.

Ethnicity isn't the same as language, which is why a Jamaican isn't considered English and the Nigerian groups abandoning their languages for Hausa aren't considered Hausa.

I even said:

"I was thinking of grouping Isekiri with Yoruba, if not for ethnic politics."

Doe anyone know if there is an actual Igbonna dialect of Yoruba, or maybe it's a misspelling of Igbo mina?
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by excanny: 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2010
Urhobo and Isoko are mutually unintelligible, but have similar sound patterns and shared words. I have 2 colleagues at work who are fluent speakers of Isoko and Urhobo respectively, i asked them and they said they cannot understand each other. They only communicate in English.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by excanny: 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

I am akoko edo.

Then why are you always on Yoruba matters as if it were your ethnicity. Or are you also having an identity crisis?
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by EzeUche22(m): 6:45pm On Sep 12, 2010
I love cultural threads! So much to learn. I am busy reading through all these threads.

It is so much we do not know about African languages.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by Pukkah: 8:07pm On Sep 12, 2010
ezeagu:

The website I got the information from says that it is spoken in Afikpo LGA and they got their sources from published books on Nigerian languages.

I agree, but if you want to talk about distinct languages then the list plus any smaller ones missing is the count of distinct Nigerian languages.

Ethnicity isn't the same as language, which is why a Jamaican isn't considered English and the Nigerian groups abandoning their languages for Hausa aren't considered Hausa.

I even said:

"I was thinking of grouping Isekiri with Yoruba, if not for ethnic politics."

Doe anyone know if there is an actual Igbonna dialect of Yoruba, or maybe it's a misspelling of Igbo mina?

Igbomina (or Igbonna) is a Yoruba dialect. Its speakers are indigenous to the present Kwara State (e.g. Oro, Arandun, Esie, etc) and parts of Osun state (Ila). The dialect is understood across Yorubaland.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by Pukkah: 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Sometime after the Nigerian crises, The Nigerian govt hired a Linguist to classify Nigerian languages. I can't remember that lady's name now. This lady was the one who came up Ekpeye, Ika, Ikwerre and so on as separate languages from Igbo.
Yet that linguist did not classify Owoh, Ekiti, Ijebu as separate languages from Yoruba.
Since then, some of this Igbo groups has been having identity crises.
That woman is an enemy of Ndigbo.

Oyo, Ekiti ,Ijesa, Ijebu, Egba, Igbomina dialects, though different, are mutually intelligible and the speakers, especially when they speak slowly, can understand themselves. However, there are instances when they use different words or terms for the same thing. The one I am not sure of is Owo dialect because it is not understood across Yorubaland.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 9:06pm On Sep 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Chyz: There is Akoko in Ondo state. They are Yorubas.
Do not mistake it for Akoko Edo in Edo state.
Have a nice Sunday.

Im talking about Akoko Edo. There are people there called the Igarras, they are close proximity to the yorubas. They are a small tribe that most likely be consumed by the yoruba. The speak yoruba, name their children yoruba names, even the culture is so interwined with yoruba. Alot of them are of yoruba stock apart from the Igarra tribe. I know people who are Igarra.Go to a Igarra house hold during a gathering and u will hear nothing but yoruba being spoken with a few igarra words here and there.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 11:15pm On Sep 12, 2010
^^ you no dey hear word?

Igarra - The History of the Name

Igarra derives from IGALA, the original ancestors who inhabited the union of IGALA/OKPOTO and eventually migrated to the present KOGI State between the 13th and 16th centuries.

Igarra is situated in the outskirts of Edo State, surrounded by hills called the KUKURUKU HILLS (also known as the Hills of Destiny). This area is governed by AKOKO-EDO. The distance from Igarra to Benin City is approximately 160 km.

Migration

The Igarra people migrated from the KWARARAFA confederacy of the JUKUN kingdom of WUKARI which was situated in what is presently called the TARABA State in Nigeria in the 13th century. 

Once the Igarra people succeeded in claiming the land, it was decided this land would be known as ETUNO, Ete meaning land in Igarra dialect and Uno being the name of the leader of the aborigines. Naming a place after the first occupier or a natural feature of the land is common practice.
All Igarra people finally migrated to this land by 1917.

Historically, the land is referred to as ETUNO. Igarra people are known as ANETUNO and they speak Igarra dialect. The inhabiting tribe is officially recorded as Igarra.

http://www.igarra.com/

which yoruba were they speaking? Shows you yourself speak no yoruba at all.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 11:16pm On Sep 12, 2010
excanny:

Then why are you always on Yoruba matters as if it were your ethnicity. Or are you also having an identity crisis?

yes i am.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 11:52pm On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

^^ you no dey hear word?

http://www.igarra.com/

which yoruba were they speaking? Shows you yourself speak no yoruba at all.

Next time learn how to read first then talk. Also you are not Igarra neither do you have personal links to them as i do so shut your mouth.

Background of Town
      Resources:
      1. A Brief History of Igarra (ABHOI)
      2. Local Language (LL)

“Igarra (Etuno) is the headquarters of Akoko-Edo local government area of Bendel State of Nigeria. It lies on the latitude 7.04N and longitude 6.12E. It occupies a unique position in Akoko-Edo local government area. Apart from being the headquarters of the local government it is the most populous town in the area. It is almost entirely surrounded by hills. Igarra has no serious linguistic affinity with any other ethnic group in Bendel State. Those with whom she shares the same language affinity are to be found in Kwara, Benue, Plateau and Gongola States of Nigeria. They (Igarra – Etuno) were the first settlers in the present Akoko-Edo local government area. Apart from the Etuno lanuage which they speak, they also speak some Yoruba because of the geographical proximity to the Yoruba – speaking area of the former Western State. This is also true of some other towns and villages in the same local government area of Bendel State.” ABHOI page 7

“The word ‘Igarra’ was derived from ‘Igala’ which is a living testimony that the ancestors of the present Igarra in Akoko-Edo local government area of Edo State might have migrated from Idah, the capital of the ancient Igala kingdom which oral traditions of Igarra people narrate from one generation to another. The name Igarra is therefore a lasting souvenir of the ancestors’ sojourn in Igala land before their migration to the new found land of independence; because while there, they were not Igala-speaking people rather than Ebira-speaking people under Igala hegemony.” LL page 1

“How did we come about the name ‘Igarra’? Many have asked this question and no satisfactory answer has been rendered. As will be seen later in the book, Igarras traced their origin to Igala/Okpoto tribes. This means that these people traced their origin to Igala/Okpoto tribes and are hence descendants of Igala/Okpoto tribes. The name Igala was corrupted as ‘Igarra’ as the letter ‘L’ was pronounced ‘R’. This is very common with the people of Igarra. The letter ‘L’ is usually pronounced as ‘R’, e.g. Ibillo is pronounced ‘Iviro’. The letter ‘L’ seem to be missing from the Igarra alphabets. Sometimes the letter ‘L’ is pronounced ‘N’, letter ‘B’ as ‘V’.” ABHOI page 8

“The language was also called Etuno. The pronunciation and intonation of Etuno (Igarra) differ it in meaning from ‘Land of cows’ (Etuno) or from ‘Land of abomination’ (Etuno). Although the three names have the same words in spelling, they differ in pronunciation, intonation and meaning. Etuno (Igarra) has the same end intonation with ‘Ano’ (salt) which reveals its meaning as ‘sweetness’, that is, ‘land of sweetness, flowing with all happiness’.” LL page 1

“Igarra covers an area of about fifteen square kilometers with a population of about 100,000 inhabitants. The main occupation of the inhabitants is farming for men and weaving for women. This is gradually giving way to white collar jobs and peti-trading. About a third of the population live abroad because of lack of industries in the area. Among the crops grown by the men are yams, maize, cassava, plantain/banana. Cocoa is their major cash crop.” ABHOI page 7

“Igarra is bounded in the North by Ugboshi and Uneme Nekhwa, in the south, she is bounded by Sasaro – a small group of people believed to be hill dwellers. They (Sassaro) came down from the hills less than 50 years ago. In the east, Igarra is bounded by Somorika (Anavo).” ABHOI page 8

http://igarratown.com/background.htm
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by excanny: 12:29am On Sep 13, 2010
^^^^
Interesting! i use to think that Igalas were found only in kogi state.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 3:36am On Sep 13, 2010
chyz:

Next time learn how to read first then talk. Also you are not Igarra neither do you have personal links to them as i do so shut your mouth.

http://igarratown.com/background.htm

abegi!!!

many languages share some similarities with yoruba- that doesnt make them yoruba.

most of the languages of old bendel state have heavy derivatives from other groups.

read this and stop claiming allsorts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=c8J95e9DspMC&pg=PA71&dq=akoko+edo&hl=en&ei=W4yNTLyrB8OB8gbK9_WWCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=akoko%20edo&f=false

igarra is an ebiroid language. Ebira is related to igala which itself has similarities with yoruba.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 3:39am On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

abegi!!!

many languages share some similarities with yoruba- that doesnt make them yoruba.

most of the languages of old bendel state have heavy derivatives from other groups.

read this and stop claiming allsorts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=c8J95e9DspMC&pg=PA71&dq=akoko+edo&hl=en&ei=W4yNTLyrB8OB8gbK9_WWCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=akoko%20edo&f=false

igarra is an ebiroid language. Ebira is related to igala which itself has similarities with yoruba.

U are arguing something totally different now.stick to the matter at hand that you tried to argue at first. Ive back up wat i sed and proved you wrong so thats the end of it.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by tpiah: 4:09am On Sep 13, 2010
^^maybe my explanation is too complicated for you.

1. akoko edos say they're edo, not yoruba

yorubas say akoko edo isnt yoruba.

chyz says akoko edo is yoruba because he heard an occasional yoruba word here and there when he visited them.

soooooo. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2. itsekiri say they're not yoruba

yorubas say itsekiri arent yoruba

chyz says itsekiri are yoruba.

**crickets**
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by EzeUche22(m): 5:20am On Sep 13, 2010
Itsekiri are Yoruba. Do not deny them. There language resembles the Yoruba language in many ways. Can it not be said that it is a dialect.

There are dialects of English that cannot be understood you know by other English speakers.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by ChinenyeN(m): 7:05am On Sep 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Itsekiri are Yoruba. Do not deny them. There language resembles the Yoruba language in many ways. Can it not be said that it is a dialect.

There are dialects of English that cannot be understood you know by other English speakers.
That doesn't make the people Yoruba. Mode of speech is not the same thing as ethnicity.

ezeagu:

Oh okay. Well, I understand where you're coming from, and I largely agree. I guess my only concern is just semantics, then.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 7:21am On Sep 13, 2010
ChinenyeN:

That doesn't make the people Yoruba. Mode of speech is not the same thing as ethnicity.

they speak a dialect of the yoruba language.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 8:00am On Sep 13, 2010
Wow so kukele of the "Ukelle people" is a dialect of the igbo language. I learn something new everyday.I just found a recording of the language.The even use the old Aro name for god, "Ukpabi". Check this out:

http://globalrecordings.net/program/C10171

They've really tried hard to separate us cry
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by chyz(m): 8:48am On Sep 13, 2010
Should this be classiffied as Bonny-Ijaw, Bonny-Igbo, neither? All my Igbo and Ijaw speakers,what do u think?

http://globalrecordings.net/program/C07211
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by ChinenyeN(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2010
chyz:

they speak a dialect of the yoruba language.
Doesn't make any difference. Their lect being grouped into a broader linguistic classification says little about the people's ethnicity.

chyz:

Should this be classiffied as Bonny-Ijaw, Bonny-Igbo, neither? All my Igbo and Ijaw speakers,what do u think?

Ijo linguistic classification. No question about that.

chyz:

Wow so kukele of the "Ukelle people" is a dialect of the igbo language. I learn something new everyday.I just found a recording of the language.The even use the old Aro name for god, "Ukpabi". Check this out:

http://globalrecordings.net/program/C10171
Reminds me of the Izii recordings.
Re: The Truth About The Number Of Nigerian Languages by Obiagu1(m): 2:03pm On Sep 13, 2010
chyz:

That should be Ijaw. They don't have recording in Bonny Igbo available at that site yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Cannot Sell National Theatre, Reps Committee Tells FG / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century / All Women Are Good Witches - Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.