Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice (32178 Views)

Poll: social works a known profession in nigeria

yes: 32% (10 votes)
no: 67% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Federal University Lafia is Paying Half Salary for January 2016!!! / What Is The Salary Structure Of A Personal Assistant To A CEO? / Massive Protest Ongoing By Eko Atlantic Workers In Victoria Island, Lagos. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by zionsown: 11:49am On Sep 16, 2010
why wont some people just simply shut their stinky mouth if they dont know what to say or contribute to issues instead of waiting for some one that matters to contribute and then all they do is pick on what others says and then try to run them down. please you know yourself try and respect your self and the opinions of others as every one is entiltle to is own opinion.
you display of ignorants only goes to show that you dont have a brain of your own, if not you wont want to play on peoples intelligent. be warned.
Aunty Aisha please dont listen to these guys let them continue to run themselves down. i bet you dont know how many lives you have touched and save. God bless you and the works of your hand. if them nor like ur contribution make dem go hug transformer,
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by whiteroses(f): 4:54pm On Sep 16, 2010
this thread is a troll stop feeding the troll and be at peace with each other i'm sure that the poster knows there aint such thing as social worker in nigeria even my 12 year old sis born in uk knows no such thing as a social worker talkless of a whole adult with a degree, but the thread is still disscusable so no need to fight each other
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by zionsown: 5:52pm On Sep 16, 2010
@whiterose how was i to know there was no social worker in nigeria, i never knew there was until i spoke with some of them and i have also communicated with some qualified social worker who is proud to be and the fact that you and your 12 years are not aware of the fact that social workers are not in nigeria only mean that you have to do your findings and correct your 12 years old sister's concept of no social workers in nigeria.
and if you say there is no social worker in nigeria then i am asking you now, should there not be a social worker in nigeria. we've got to think before we think

1 Like

Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by DisGuy: 1:46am On Sep 17, 2010
Aisha2 you are doing a fantastic job as a social worker

But I still stand by my assertions, the evidence is on the streets and prisons of Lagos, Abuja, Akwa Ibom

grrrrrr

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-194854.0.html

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5608093-147/free_at_last___.csp
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by whatawhat: 4:53am On Sep 17, 2010
ZIONSOWN-as long as you are exceptional in what you're doing, you will suceed in nigeria-its just a matter of excellence/rarity-anybody
with such can be sucessful anywhere in the world, you see that's the mistake nigerians make by subjecting ppl to science/medicine when
that is one of the reasons why nigeria/africa as a whole has not gotten to south amerian level why i quoted south america is to be realistic
b/c they live above subsistence level-that is the poorest of the poor can survive on cheap food and has hope
if you are determined to be a social worker in nig, go ahead as long as you know what you're doing and also you're focused-let me
tell you-you will prove many mouths wrong
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by zionsown: 12:48pm On Sep 17, 2010
@whatawhat, thanks for your kind words of encouragement. God bless
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 17, 2010
@posta
there is social work in nigeria n there r social workers in nigeria.i am a social worker in the making in university of nigeria nsukka.i am in my 3rd year.it is a new course n the first sch dat is givin a Bsc in it.it hz nt gained so much ground nw but it will.the governmt is aware of it and hz been supportin.we were accredited as d 1st n best swk dept in nigeria.pls,dnt listen to some of the unenlighten naija pple at dis forum.nigeria is badly in need of swkers n i plan on remainin n practicin swk in nigeria.join the very few swkers in naija.thru dat, nigerians wil b enlightened and d children esp wil b helped n secured.there r so many swker there so pls come back and help ur pple.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 17, 2010
@posta
there is social work in nigeria n there r social workers in nigeria.i am a social worker in the making in university of nigeria nsukka.i am in my 3rd year.it is a new course n the first sch dat is givin a Bsc in it.it hz nt gained so much ground nw but it will.the governmt is aware of it and hz been supportin.we were accredited as d 1st n best swk dept in nigeria.pls,dnt listen to some of the unenlighten naija pple at dis forum.nigeria is badly in need of swkers n i plan on remainin n practicin swk in nigeria.join the very few swkers in naija.thru dat, nigerians wil b enlightened and d children esp wil b helped n secured.there r so many swker there so pls come back and help ur pple.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 17, 2010
@posta
there is social work in nigeria n there r social workers in nigeria.i am a social worker in the making in university of nigeria nsukka.i am in my 3rd year.it is a new course n the first sch dat is givin a Bsc in it.it hz nt gained so much ground nw but it will.the governmt is aware of it and hz been supportin.we were accredited as d 1st n best swk dept in nigeria.pls,dnt listen to some of the unenlighten naija pple at dis forum.nigeria is badly in need of swkers n i plan on remainin n practicin swk in nigeria.join the very few swkers in naija.thru dat, nigerians wil b enlightened and d children esp wil b helped n secured.there r so many swker there so pls come back and help ur pple.[color=#550000][/color]
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by zionsown: 7:37pm On Sep 17, 2010
@ NKJAY God bless you for your info, my mind is at rest having people like you around and i will definitely come home do practice and there is no holding back. just waiting to put on or two things together, please join me to thank aisha she is indeed a material and nigeria will succeed with people like her around. i wish you success in all your aspirations. we will definitely join hands together some days and move our great country forward.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by kingvictor(m): 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2010
Nkjay:

@posta
there is social work in nigeria n there r social workers in nigeria.i am a social worker in the making in university of nigeria nsukka.i am in my 3rd year.it is a new course n the first sch dat is givin a Bsc in it.it hz nt gained so much ground nw but it will.the governmt is aware of it and hz been supportin.we were accredited as d 1st n best swk dept in nigeria.pls,dnt listen to some of the unenlighten naija pple at dis forum.nigeria is badly in need of swkers n i plan on remainin n practicin swk in nigeria.join the very few swkers in naija.thru dat, nigerians wil b enlightened and d children esp wil b helped n secured.there r so many swker there so pls come back and help your pple.[color=#550000][/color]

good to have people like you around,i like the profession
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by ibkaa: 9:53am On Sep 20, 2010
Hi, I used to be a social worker before I joined the oil and gas sector. A career in social worker is still relatively new in Nigeria. Most people own NGOs because of their desire to give back to the society or to make money - the era of HIV and AIDS, where loads of money was being pumped into it.

I worked for an international NGO and I can tell you I was being paid more than 150,000 a month as a temporary staff. This excludes all the other opportunities such as international travels and massive exposure you'd get within and outside the country.

Do not let comments on this post deter you. I will suggest you apply to the international organisations, who pay you a reasonable salary, there are loads of small international organisations that even pay more than the 150,000 I was earning at the time. The local Ngos do not pay well and I hear they even owe their staff whenever they have funding issues.

I hope you find this useful.

Take care and all the best.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by readymade: 6:39pm On Oct 13, 2010
Hello,
I am a Social worker. I have my MSW (Masters)  from the UK. I work in North America now as a child protection worker with children services. I agree with Dis guy, there is a big difference btwn Social Worker and Charity worker. The difference is Social Work (er) are regulated and there are ethics, values that embodies the profession. Here in North America and Europe, you cannot call yourself a Social Worker unless you actually studied BSW OR MSW and you are registered with the body of  the jurisdiction. No one is trying to be little the good work of NGOs or others but without the degree, its just  charity work.
Its a shame that in Nigeria at present , theres a lot of work to be done. There are no system in place and that is why NGO's will come and go, Well meaning charity workers/social workers will burn out quickly and will either relocate or change profession.  My suggestion is all qualified Social workers should form a body and become one voice to challenge the lack of infrastructures for the vulnerable group which includes persons with disability ( learning, physical), elderly, abused children (physical, sexual, emotional and neglect). Abandoned children, mental health issues etc.
There are mainstream schools with no resources for children with learning disabilities, no curriculum that targets their needs and supports , I can go on and on, its a big shame.

Its fun to laugh about it right now until someone close to you needs the service and you find out that theres no voice for him/her, no help, no resources, 

My pet project is in  Autism, it is a disability that no one knows the cure, its no respecter of persons, color or finances, it cannot be detected in pregnancy. Its a  disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior,  the prevalence is very high now,  such project cannot be funded individually, infact cannot be done by an organization but a government.

If Social Workers, Charity workers are serious about making a change, we all need to come together and become one voice. It is only by then that Government will take notice of us.

Well done to all Social Workers and Charity workers out  there.

I believe soon, Nigeria will understand that it is important to listen to the voice of the disadvantaged and address their needs. It is in doing that, that we can all say Nigeria we Hail thee!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by goofy(f): 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2010
@aisha2

Really appreciate your enlightenment on here.I`m actually in thesame situation as the poster, as I`m a qualified social worker in the UK as well planning to relocate back to naija.Will really appreciate it if you can mail me with some useful information as to how to go about it.

Thanks in anticipation.

lashizle@gmail.com
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by kels001: 1:11am On Jan 10, 2012
thanks Guys for your information here and i really appreciate you all but most especially Aisha i have been following this subject with keen interest. i am also thinking of relocating to nigeria from the uk can i not earn a living out of my profession as a social worker please advice.
please note every comment here is priceless to me,
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by christemmbassey(m): 5:42pm On Aug 17, 2012
Nkjay: @posta
I graduated Bsc (swk) in 2003 UNICAL, so Nsuka can't b d 1st. @all social work is not only about abandoned babies and the poor, infact these r very smalk arears in swk. Swk as a wholistic profession/practice covers every aspect of our social lives especially as it concerns the ability of individuals to exist and perform as morally responsible ppl who r able to make moral judgements and take ethical decisions and to contribute their quota to the dev of the society. Infact reading tro this thread i v discovered dat many NLders need a swkr @ all d proud swkrs in da house, pls i v just open a thread where we can speak swk. Cheers. u can contact me christsemmbassey2012@gmail.com, 08188294293
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by eninaija(f): 11:28am On Nov 27, 2012
@ZIONSOWN
PLS I NEED TO YOU TO CONTACT YOU ASAP! I AM ABT TO SET UP A SOMETHING TO HANDLE SOCIAL WORK ISSUES. PLS CONTACT ME ON +2348089242110. THANKS
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Mrakinyemi01: 3:08am On Jun 22, 2013
Social work and Social Workers exist in Nigeria, only those of us in the practice knows the indept as well as those who had benefitted one way or the other. We should all be thinking of how to make Nigeria great after all, great countries also started somewhere somehow, be encouraged to come home and start something that touches other peoples life, that is social work in Nigeria and all over the world. Don'tkill your dream, be part of evolution in your own way. God bless you.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by evantical: 11:43am On Aug 11, 2013
plz @isha,@ibkaa plz where can I work as a social worker ?I dont mind the salary,just to want to have the experience.thnks
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by billtommy(m): 11:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
Is ds thread still alive
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by christemmbassey(m): 10:40am On Jan 02, 2015
Yes
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Mcbussy(m): 11:28am On Jul 23, 2015
christemmbassey:
Yes

Is it alive for real?....Psychologist and Social Worker here.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by butterflex: 2:57am On Dec 28, 2015
i love the different views here on social work. i am a proud one and would love to see the Nigeria Government recognise and support this great profession.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by tpiar: 2:49am On Feb 26, 2016
social work is known as social service or welfare office in Nigeria.

http://www.fmwasd.y-host.net/departments/social_units.htm
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Yasf22(m): 10:37am On Sep 25, 2016
My dear Zionsown.
To be sincere and real here, I think what we all need here is the truth and believe that providing different skills is what give a person good standard of living cause if not , no government ,lawyers, and mostly lovely homes will believe Social workers are needed in Nigeria to perform more duties in bettering themselves .. with this economy if Nigeria , if a person thinks going to institution , and waiting to get a job is what is next. he/she is mistaken ,cause we all know how difficult thinks are going on in our respective state in Nigeria... I never understand the meaning of social work until I find out on google.. well I was about filling an institution form which is unilorin but I wasn't giving my choices of course (law), and all I saw was social workers , and some other teaching course with I have no interest! with due respect Zionsown if you a person who believe and think out of working out the best for our so called country (Nigeria). I would respect and believe you someone like me who really want to help this country in reducing crime and corruption with skills and performance , which I rather give out my number in having a strict meeting with with you on socializing work of a social workers both international and local ... I respect and believe nothing is impossible without determination . (09093128294) I'm really mean this and ready at any moment .. am so well sure we will get more people who wants to help and reduce non employment of graduate workers and the best to the high level . I am Yusuf Adegoke Sulaiman . Thanks
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by RGVH: 3:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
Rockgarden Homes is a prestigious elder care home for older adults in Ikorodu, Lagos State. We provide medically-skilled nursing care in a respectful and cozy shelter for geriatric assisted living residents. We are guided by passion and excellence, as we provide quintessential residential care services for the elderly.

www.rockgardenhomes.com

Job Title: Medical Social Worker / Care Worker
Job Summary
o The successful candidate will work as part of a team of professionals and medical staff that includes doctors, physiotherapists and Home Care Assistants providing care to aged adults in a Residential Setting.
o S/He will evaluate clients, and develop as well as coordinate plans of care.
o You will be involved in the social work aspect of healthcare as well as the clinical aspect.
o You will plan, coordinate, manage and implement support packages to help clients deal with difficulties and overcome dependencies.
o You will address each case as a unit, set tailored measurable goals while ensuring our vulnerable clients are protected against all possible harm.
o You will be responsible for case management, psycho-social assessment, development and implementation of intervention strategies.
o You will be expected to execute supervisory and administrative nursing functions, with an aim of ensuring clients' lives are easier and more comfortable.
o You will spend much of the day managing the client’s in the facility and providing needed companionship, in order to guarantee a high level of customer satisfaction.
o Duties include daily tasks such as personal grooming, dressing, feeding, making beds and giving patients their medications.
o You will supervise junior staff to ensure thorough cleaning and sanitizing of clients’ rooms and the work environment with the aim of maintaining excellent standards of cleanliness.
o You must be willing and motivated to work extra hours in order to meet up with responsibilities, and may be assigned other tasks as management decides.
o Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.

Key Responsibilities
o Providing holistic healthcare to elderly clients in a residential setting.
o Fulfilling all reasonable requests from clients, to ensure their comfort, satisfaction and safety.
o You will consult with physicians, establish treatment plans, operate medical equipment and perform diagnostic checks and tests.
o You will efficiently supervise Home Care Assistants and other junior staff.
o Availability and willingness to lift patients into and out of their beds, chairs, or bathtubs.
o Changing patient's bandages, checking vital signs or applying lotion to dry skin areas.
o Helping patients get a bath, get to and from the toilet, and sometimes changing a patient's adult diaper.
o Monitoring and recording patient’s condition and documenting daily care services.
o Educating and supervising junior staff on how to follow their nursing care plans.
o Escorting clients to appointments (doctor, physical therapy, hair salon, etc.) and religious services.
o Maintaining a safe, secure, and healthy patient environment by following aseptic standards and procedures; maintaining security precautions; following prescribed dietary requirements and nutrition standards.
o Respect for patient rights regarding choice of lifestyle, i.e. political, social, religious, sexual and cultural.
o Service marketing and promoting responsibilities.
o Maintaining effective working relationships with all prospective clients and relatives.
o Implements administration strategies, policies and procedures.
o Managing the office environment, including sanitation and maintenance activities.
o Liaises with other staff and conducts checks to ensure the safe keeping and efficient utilization of all facilities and equipment.
o Keeps up to date with trends in the local sheltered healthcare service industry.
o Suggests and oversees improved efficiency in service.
o Ensure property and facilities meet legal, environmental, health, security and safety standards and requirements.
o Produce and distribute correspondence memos, letters, faxes and forms.
o Assist in the preparation of regularly scheduled reports.

Essential Requirements
o RN, BNSc., BS or Diploma in nursing, a degree in Social Work from a recognised Institution, or a similar relevant qualification.
o Minimum of 2 years experience as a Social worker in the healthcare industry.
o International Experience as a Support Worker in the Care Industry.
o Full registration and affiliation with relevant professional bodies with the knowledge, ability and experience of caring for elders.
o BLS, ACLS will be an added advantage.
o Ability to start-up and run a well funded NGO will be a major advantage.
o A compassionate, caring and patient nature.
o Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks and intense pressure to perform.
o Knowledge of more than one major Nigerian language.
o A flexible and highly adaptable approach to work.
o Proven marketing and client management experience.
o Proven administrative experience.
o Knowledge of the characteristics and social aspects of mental and emotional disturbances and disabilities.
o Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
o Attention to detail and proactive problem solving skills.
o Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
o Pleasant personality, with good customer relationship management skills.
o Project management, analytical and interpersonal skills.
o Creative/Innovative thinker.
o Willingness to relocate as accommodation may be provided.
o Willingness to work on a Shift / Rota basis, including weekends.

Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit:
 An Application letter of no more than 2 pages (2,000 words) explaining how your experience matches the essential criteria and your salary expectations.
 An up - to - date CV. This should include the names, addresses (including email), and phone numbers of two professional referees.
 A recent Passport Photograph.
 Submit documents to: rockgardenhomes.recruitment@gmail.com

DEADLINE: 3RD OF FEBRUARY, 2017

1 Like

Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Coolestheart: 11:29pm On Nov 03, 2018
Guy I'm with you on this, I'm also a social worker.pls carry me along.together we can do this, is high time we do something.
Tanx for this post.

quote author=zionsown post=6753045]i must confess i alot of people here has inspired me greatly i feel like i am just wasting away in a country that is not mine and will never be mine. onye babe the first 2 lines of ur advice was so inspiring and trust me i will never forget that.
i think the fact that it does not exist means that some body has to take the lead for others to follow and i have a strong desire that i can make it happen. we can make it happen. yes we can. ideas please on how to set up an ngo in nigeria. i love you all and i believe that together we can change the way things are run in that great country.[/quote]
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Richdee1(m): 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2020
@ Poster

Please note that there are lots of Social Workers in Nigeria. For the fact that it isn't a well recognised and known profession in Nigeria doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. We've got people who read Social Works just like you did. The problem we have is that most of our NGOs in here do not seem to place much importances on the need to employ them except in Federal and State Social services such as Remand Homes, Hospitals etc. Some weeks back I was opportuned to meet a very passionate Social Worker in Child Life-Line Centre, Owode-Ibeshe in Ikorodu. And, he told me that the professional body of Social Workers are working towards enforcing that most NGOs employ the services of qualified Social Workers.
Can I get ur conctact
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2020
Great thread. I am proud to be a Social worker.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Richdee1(m): 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2020
FunmyKemmy:
Great thread. I am proud to be a Social worker.

Still a Student?? or done with school?
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2020
FunmyKemmy:
Still a Student?? or done with school?

Done with school.
Re: What Is The Salary For Social Workers In Nigeria. Please Advice by Richdee1(m): 3:43pm On Jan 27, 2021
Ayowumie:

@aisha2, if you ever get this, could you kindly get in touch please. I love this post and i definitely agree with your point of views. I am a fresh graduate doing an internship(learning experience) with an NGO while waiting for youth service. I worked partly with some NGOs while in skul. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to contribute some of my xperience to some of your project activities in order to broader my scope. Pls, am not interested in the money, am only interested in the exposure and opportunities such things bring. my email is mailay2day@yahoo.com

please if you see this drop your WhatsApp number

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dispersing The Newly Recruited Nigeria Immigration Officers, Just OR Unjust? / My MD Told Me My Relationship Is Jeopardizing My Job. / Lagos Airport Cleaner Who Returned Cash, Phones, Other Items Promoted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.