Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,344 members, 7,860,883 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:01 PM

Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB (538 Views)

CCT Trial: APC Leaders Divided Over Saraki / Obiano Sacks Aide Over Jonathan’s Re-Election Jingle / President Jonathan, IBB & Atiku Begs Obasanjo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB by Onlytruth(m): 3:24am On Sep 15, 2010
•[size=16pt]Militants divided over Jonathan, IBB [/size]

Meanwhile, all may not be well on the home front of President Jonathan, as he gets set to declare his intention for the 2011 presidential race this weekend.

Apart from the rumoured division among the South-South governors over his ambition, Nigerian Tribune learnt from authoritative sources that top militant groups in the region may have joined forces with his rivals.

It was gathered that groups such as Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) and the Joint Revolutionary Council (JRC), are currently divided over Jonathan’s candidacy and the option of former military ruler, General  Ibrahim Babangida (IBB).

It was learnt on Tuesday that some IBB allies had made contact with some former senior commanders of the MEND, who despite repenting from their former ways, still have a formidable voice in the politics of the Niger Delta.

The IBB associates were said to have made overtures to the ex-militants for their support.

Among promises by the General, Nigerian Tribune gathered, is the creation of new states in the region, massive infrastructural development and greater participation of communities in the share of oil revenue.

But Nigerian Tribune source, who was briefed on the development, said the militants promised to remain neutral, at least for now.

“From what I was told, they have chosen to remain neutral despite the temptation of dumping their own brother, Goodluck Jonathan.   Given the fact that the race for the PDP ticket has become intense, it is better that they are playing safe, so as not to be seen as sell-outs in some quarters,” our source said.

The apparent crack within the ranks of top militants was also noticed on Monday as MEND, through its spokesman, Jomo Gbomo, severed links with a pro-Jonathan militant body, Joint Revolutionary Council.

More stunning to political watchers is the statement by MEND that it did not know JRC, with which it had jointly issued statements on issues of mutual concern, especially the crisis in the Niger Delta in the past.

The MEND’s reaction further confirmed insinuations that it was undecided about the fate of Jonathan and had decided in the best of interests, to remain apolitical to the events leading to the 2011 presidential elections.

The JRC had, in an attempt to express solidarity with President Jonathan, taken a hard stance on the Director-General of Ibrahim Babangida Campaign Organisation, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, declaring him a persona non grata in the Niger Delta.

Claiming that some persons were being bought over into the IBB camp, the JRC urged those who had chosen Jonathan to remain resolute in spite of these temptations.

“Let us commend all those who have chosen to remain resolute and fight the Jonathan cause, even in the face of grim persecution and great financial and social temptations

“We commend the likes of Chief Dumo Lulu Briggs, Professor Kimse Okoko, Chief Edwin Clark and all the governors of the various Bantustan states across the Nigerian State even though we are aware that certain governors in the Niger Delta secretly do not wish Jonathan well. Their time will come,” the militants stated through their spokesperson, Cynthia Whyte.

MEND said “for the record, there has never been a statement from MEND directed at Chief Dokpesi or anyone involved in the 2011 presidential race.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/11092-2011-war-in-social-media-jonathan-woos-nigerians-through-sms-atiku-takes-campaign-to-facebook-twitter-militants-divided-over-jonathan-ibb
Re: Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB by Onlytruth(m): 3:26am On Sep 15, 2010
Not that I'm surprised about this, but, the story throws more light on the permutations against next year.
If south south can't even unite behind Jonathan, why should Ndigbo even look his direction?

As the primaries approach, more interesting things are happening.
Re: Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB by TewMuch: 3:28am On Sep 15, 2010
ahh, your still around. Opening new threads more to your taste i see. grin cheesy
Re: Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB by Onlytruth(m): 3:32am On Sep 15, 2010
TewMuch:

ahh, your still around. Opening new threads more to your taste i see. grin cheesy

If you have something intelligent to say, I'm always here to listen. I don't want to support the wrong candidate in the coming elections. That remains my goal.
Re: Militants Divided Over Jonathan, IBB by Onlytruth(m): 3:34am On Sep 15, 2010
^^

When the rumours of a Jonathan presidential run started, I was supportive of him. A part of me is still supportive of him, but I need to know that at least I supported the right guy for me. If he cannot enjoy at least 90% of support in south south, Ndigbo should not support him.

(1) (Reply)

Independence Tower - Naija @ 50 / Dokpesi Realesed After The Inhuman Treatment By Order Of Jonathan / Video Of Mend 48 Hrs Before The Bomb Is Abuja .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.