Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. (5117 Views)

Pretty Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Goes Viral (Photos) / What's Your View On Inter-religion Marriage? / Importance Of Tribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 4:37pm On Apr 16, 2019
I'm a product of one (North and south,edo to be precise) and i think i may also marry from the South. Do nigerians still shy away from intertribal marriage?
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Sukakma(m): 4:55pm On Apr 16, 2019
It's all about mentality..a friend of mine is in love with a girl..they love each other to a fault..he's North (Muslim) she's Yoruba (Muslim) his parents are okay with that (quite surprising) but lie lie, her parents won't agree..they insist she must marry from their tribe..is believe when you're exposed to the world, such things matters a little..and we live in a situation where no one trusts his neighbour talk less of other tribe..

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 10:37pm On Apr 16, 2019
Sukakma:
It's all about mentality..a friend of mine is in love with a girl..they love each other to a fault..he's North (Muslim) she's Yoruba (Muslim) his parents are okay with that (quite surprising) but lie lie, her parents won't agree..they insist she must marry from their tribe..is believe when you're exposed to the world, such things matters a little..and we live in a situation where no one trusts his neighbour talk less of other tribe..
I've noticed most times its the family that always makes a fuss out of the whole thing. The actual couple don't often care

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Dacronym(m): 10:57pm On Apr 16, 2019
ERORR404:
I'm a product of one (North and south,edo to be precise) and i think i may also marry from the South. Do nigerians still shy away from intertribal marriage?
I am A Product of One Too
Yoruba (SW) and Niger Delta (kwale)

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by anthonyuncle(m): 11:18pm On Apr 16, 2019
ERORR404:

some still forbid it.
but I see such persons as educated illiterates

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by JERRY1925(m): 6:23am On Apr 17, 2019
Well in same situation.. Her parents have refused..
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by anochuko01(m): 6:54am On Apr 17, 2019
i'm particular about the family than the tribe....

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by teacherbim(f): 6:59am On Apr 17, 2019
Nothing wrong with inter tribal marriage, am from Ogun a daughter of an Alhaji, I married an Urhobo man which is a pastor. 13 good years and still counting.

18 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 7:11am On Apr 17, 2019
teacherbim:
Nothing wrong with inter tribal marriage, am from Ogun a daughter of an Alhaji, I married an Urhobo man which is a pastor. 13 good years and still counting.
Wow congrats, I think yorubas are more liberal about it than any other in nigeria

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 7:12am On Apr 17, 2019
JERRY1925:
Well in same situation.. Her parents have refused..
See, this is what i was saying, it's usually the family that make all the fuss about it
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:12am On Apr 17, 2019
Run from it. My humble advice from experience.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 7:21am On Apr 17, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Run from it. My humble advice from experience.
Can you elaborate? cause I'm a product of one and I didn't see anything that could have made my dad to "Run"
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Tharaja(m): 8:34am On Apr 17, 2019
We are only good at Inter tribal relationship/co-operation when it has to do with SHARING/LOOTING PUBLIC FUNDS at the helms of political power.....

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:37am On Apr 17, 2019
Tharaja:
We are only good at Inter tribal relationship/co-operation when it has to do with SHARING/LOOTING PUBLIC FUNDS at the helms of political power.....

True.
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:39am On Apr 17, 2019
ERORR404:

Can you elaborate? cause I'm a product of one and I didn't see anything that could have made my dad to "Run"

Marry from the East, and see them try to wisely drain u and exclude ur family. All the problem of her siblings u must solve, but she'll never ask u of ur own siblings of if u have a plan for them. They come to ur house and make it an Igbo affair, speaking their language to each other while u as the man become the stranger. The list is endless.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by vibbb: 9:15am On Apr 17, 2019
Tribal marriage is never an issue but background and home training matters must.

When couple have issues: parents play a very vital roles in settling and resolving them.

Some tribe see this as abnormal and prefer their daughter to return back home with them.

No matter how educated and enlighten they are, it's just their ways of life, i have seen a mother telling her daughter to live her marriage (a marriage that is not abusive and violent o) and her brother also encouraged her to live too, so when we look @ this tribe one may want to say they don't stay in marriage but then i knw of ppl from the same tribe who make sure that their marriage works against all odd.

I think one shld be wary abt this kind of background and training which has now turn to tradition.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 9:55am On Apr 17, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Marry from the East, and see them try to wisely drain u and exclude ur family. All the problem of her siblings u must solve, but she'll never ask u of ur own siblings of if u have a plan for them. They come to ur house and make it an Igbo affair, speaking their language to each other while u as the man become the stranger. The list is endless.
Ahh.. My current girlfriend is from the east oo grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:57am On Apr 17, 2019
ERORR404:

Ahh.. My current girlfriend is from the east oo grin

Deal with people as individuals though. My case might not be same with yours.

Goodluck

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 10:00am On Apr 17, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Deal with people as individuals though. My case might not be same with yours.

Goodluck
Aye sir, thanks
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by CuddleBunnys(f): 10:11am On Apr 17, 2019
You learn about other cultures, you understand their language too, you make new friends from that region, you also to a large extent begin to understand how to live as a Nigerian because that is the thrust of the Nigerian spirit. That was why the National Youth Service Corp was formed. That was also why the Federal Government Colleges were established; to enable Nigerians from different parts of the country meet under one roof and be able to learn and understand different cultures and values. The demerits might be what I mentioned earlier: language barrier, culinary, etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 10:18am On Apr 17, 2019
CuddleBunnys:
You learn about other cultures, you understand their language too, you make new friends from that region, you also to a large extent begin to understand how to live as a Nigerian because that is the thrust of the Nigerian spirit. That was why the National Youth Service Corp was formed. That was also why the Federal Government Colleges were established; to enable Nigerians from different parts of the country meet under one roof and be able to learn and understand different cultures and values. The demerits might be what I mentioned earlier: language barrier, culinary, etc.
Sadly the older generation (our parents) don't see it this way

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by mcbeat: 10:25am On Apr 17, 2019
Marrying someone outside ur tribe is something every one should encourage,because the advantages out weight its limitations...

Understanding individual differences is the key.... not the tribe.....Read this it 'll help a lot >>https://www.weddingtin.com/2018/12/unique-guide-to-overcoming-individual-cultural-difference-in-relationships.html
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Funaki: 10:32am On Apr 17, 2019
some parents won't want you to marry from another state sef grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by BlackfireX: 10:41am On Apr 17, 2019
Dad was born here in Ibadan 1955 at bode , married a fine woman from lalupon in ibadan grin >: cheesy .

Oh my grand parents are from present day anambra state .

Men the kind of opportunities I have gave me alot of advantages in life.

Is all about the family you are dealing with, not tribe.....

My opinion

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by GreatAchiever1: 10:48am On Apr 17, 2019
U have to know about the other cultures, traditions, language etc.
If u dont know i think its better to just marry from your tribe at least u know about its culture and language and even if you happen not to know, u have relations and siblings u can ask.

But then again. It depends on the individual
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sparkle7: 2:10pm On Apr 17, 2019
I think its kinda cool knowing other tribes apart from yours. It widens your mindset and knowlegde.
Am Igbo and am thinking about finding a Yoruba.
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2019
ERORR404:

Wow congrats, I think yorubas are more liberal about it than any other in nigeria

No, the Niger Deltans are more liberal about it than any other tribe. Take this to the bank.

An average Youruba Muslim for instance who has spent almost all her growing up years in Ogun or Lagos state will be sceptical about marrying to a Rivers guy, but same girl from Edo or Delta or Bayelsa won't find it so difficult

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by ERORR404(m): 2:55pm On Apr 17, 2019
spacofadan:

No, the Niger Deltans are more liberal about it than any other tribe. Take this to the bank.

An average Youruba Muslim for instance who has spent almost all her growing up years in Ogun or Lagos state will be sceptical about marrying to a Rivers guy, but same girl from Edo or Delta or Bayelsa won't find it so difficult
your opinion though, but i think I've heard and seen more of yorubas marrying outside their tribe

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by Emotionss: 3:35pm On Apr 17, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
sgtponzihater1:

Regardless of their political views
Do you know that the Yorubas And the igbos have the highest inter-marriage in Nigeria.?

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:49pm On Apr 17, 2019
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

Regardless of their political views
Do you know that the Yorubas And the igbos have the highest inter-marriage in Nigeria.?

I agree. Just wonder why though.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by austyne22ex(m): 3:49pm On Apr 17, 2019
[quote author=sgtponzihater1 post=77611248]

shocked
Re: What Is Your Take On Inter-tribal Marriage. by logan2(m): 4:00pm On Apr 17, 2019
my mother says she doesnt care where i get my wife,so far shes gna be a good one

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

On The Viral Sex Tape Video / Is This Booty Natural?? / What Ended Your Last Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.