Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security (8755 Views)

Adeleke Moves Into Osun Government House 16 Months After Swearing-In / Ibadan Explosion: Foreign Illegal Miners Ran Out Of The House Before Explosion — / Expelled Herdsmen From Kwara Sneaking Into Osun – Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Blue3k(m): 12:17am On Apr 19, 2019
Reported criminal activities of bandits in some states in the North West geopolitical zone, especially Zamfara, Sokoto, and Katsina states, where scores had been killed and several kidnapped for ransom came to public glare with attendant public apprehension and concern.

Banditry, a new pronounced phenomenon in the security architecture of Nigeria in the recent time became a source of worry for discerning Nigerians and herculean task for security agencies.

The threatening degree of insurgency in the North East of the region to a very large extent heightened the level of phobia elicited by Northwest banditry. Many believe what is being described as banditry could be a prelude to another dimension of bloody insurgency.

However, torrents of emerging revelations, which linked the menace of banditry in the North West to illegal mining in Zamfara and other affected states gave another narratives to the whole drama.

It was alleged that some powerful Northern elite, mostly traditional rulers, were behind series of illegal mining business going on in those states, which brought about bloody rivalry amongst ‘powerful merchants’, who employed services of hoodlums in the fight for dicey economic struggle.

Consequently, this group of hoodlums around illegal mining sites constitute scary armed bandit gangs, which continued to unleash terror on innocent residents rather unabatedly.

Perhaps, the proceeds from illegal exploration of National resource became insufficient to meet their illicit lifestyle, or desperation to get more money must have pushed these criminal elements to diversify and ventured into robbery and kidnapping, and made lives terribly miserable for people of the states.

Regrettably, despite coordinated security arrangement and increased deployment of security operatives to those areas, the tempo of criminality went on perpetually and became an embarrassing National security burden to the Federal government.

At the peak of this menace, therefore, the Federal government, acting on the advice of the Ministry of Defence gave an order to suspend all mining activities in Zamfara and all other states in the North West where illegal mining activities were going on, following intelligence report that suggest close collaboration between the activities of the bandits and illegal miners.

Also, the Nigerian Army established 8 Division with headquarters in Sokoto to cover Kebbi, Sokoto, Katsina and Zamfara states while the Headquarters of 1 Brigade was relocated from Sokoto to Gusau.

In addition to that, the tactical headquarters of 8 Division has since located to Gusau. Similarly, the Nigerian Air Force also established Quick Response Force in Gusau and landing areas in Gusau and Birnin Magaji respectively.

Meanwhile, as laudable and plausible as those interventions appear, which have continued to yield positive results in those places, there is a damning consequence of that action in some parts of Nigeria, especially Osun State.

Investigation by our Correspondent revealed that, as soon as illegal miners started feeling the heat of security operations in the North West, their attention began to shift to other areas where those nefarious activities are going on, and Ijesha land, in the Osun East senatorial district of the state became considered alternative.

It was gathered that there are large deposit of 99.5 per cent pure gold in Ilesha, an ancient town occupied by a distinct Yoruba race known as Ijesha, and adjoining towns and villages.

A community leader in one of the towns with gold deposit, Chief Bisi Alabi said there are more than 100 illegal mining sites around Ilesha and it’s environs, making the areas seriously volatile.

“We are handicapped my brother, this illegal mining business has been going on here for more than a decade. We couldn’t challenge these people (Northerners) who are working on the sites because the thing belongs to Federal government.

“Also, many of them were just working for their big boss in the North, who we heard got license from the Federal Government to operate freely”.

Also speaking, the State Coordinator of Advocacy for Advancement of Peace and Harmony in Africa Initiative (ADAPHAI) in Osun State, Comrade Sola Lanrewaju decried the impunity in which illegal mining was being carried out in the areas, and attendants criminal activities around Ijesha Land.

Lanrewaju stressed that the economy and security of people in the areas are in serious jeopardy, as mining activities continue to drive farmers from the farms and threaten the ecology of the area.

He also expressed concern on the recent influx of illegal miners of Northern extractions into the areas, following stoppage of illegal mining in the North West recently.

” There is dangerous danger looming in Osun State, the suspension of illegal mining in Zamfara and other states in the North West is having a multiplier effect here in Osun State, as we observed serious influx of illegal Northern miners into the state.

“This is indeed a signal of impeding serious security breach in the state. Before now, we have raised serious concern about the volatility of Ijesha land, where there are illegal mining sites, this recent development would definitely worsen the situation”, Lanrewaju lamented.

Investigation further revealed that there are over 5000 illegal miners from the North, in over 10 villages and towns in the state, including: Ijana Wasare in Atakumosa LGA, Igun- Ijesa, Gona, Ajewanwa, Atepe-Akire, Igbadare among others.

It was also discovered that over 6000 illegal miners from Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina and some parts of Kaduna States have moved into the areas between Sunday, March 31 and Tuesday, April 16.

A community teacher in one of the affected villages, who preferred anonymity said, ” Our communities are presently in danger, nobody could predict what will be the security situation of these areas in days to come, with heavy influx of illegal miners into our villages and towns without check.

“We hope the security situations in the North West, which was reportedly linked to illegal mining would not be our portion here”.

Asking whether the police authority in the state is aware of this development through ‘its intelligence mechanism’, the Police Public Relations Officer for Osun command, SP Folashade Odoro reacted this way” I don’t know where you heard that information.

“Are you a DSS, it is only DSS operatives that can talk about intelligence report now. The people of the affected areas should go to the nearest police station and report “.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2019/04/17/investigation-influx-illegal-miners-osun-threatens-security-economy/amp/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Odingo1: 12:46am On Apr 19, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin We couldn’t challenge these people (Northerners) who are working on the sites grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. With all this occupation of SW by the northerners the Yorubas still believe that the north will surrender power to Tinubu in 2023 just like that, Time will tell.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Blue3k(m): 12:50am On Apr 19, 2019
“We are handicapped my brother, this illegal mining business has been going on here for more than a decade. We couldn’t challenge these people (Northerners) who are working on the sites because the thing belongs to Federal government.

Maybe you didnt challenge them because you received your cut. If they have licenses they arent illegal miners. I find it hard to believe its only northerners involved and you'd let them bully you for a decade without action. I wonder if the state and federal government agree with his assessment.

Anyway the government needs to tackle this menace of illegal mining. The state and federal government are losing revenue, illegal miners dont follow environment and they're a security risk. They look inept at tackling issue when theres a hundred of sites in one state. If a reporter can find it police should have an issue. Get tough on the issue like Ghana. You can read about illegal miners getting arrested and deported frequently.

Fun Facts:
•Osun produces the most gold in the country.
•Every other state produces less than a ton.

Front Page: Lalasticlala

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Odingo1: 12:57am On Apr 19, 2019
Blue3k:

Maybe you didnt challenge them because you received your cut. If they have licenses they arent illegal miners. I find it hard to believe its only northerners involved and you'd let them bully for a decade without action. I wonder if the state and federal government agree with his assessment.

Fun Facts:
•Osun produces the most gold in the country.
•Every other state produces less than a ton.

The northerners is enjoying it for decades without any challenge
, no benefit of it for Osun people.

3 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Blue3k(m): 1:22am On Apr 19, 2019
Odingo1:

The northerners is enjoying it for decades without any challenge
, no benefit of it for Osun people.

If you believe its exclusively northerners engaged in illegal mining. Its usually locals that are engaged and help perpetuate crime. I do agree Osun people are losing due to the government's weak and lackadaisical response to issue.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by sammyj: 10:14am On Apr 19, 2019
shocked shocked See the way chest beaters above me are happy despite the fact that Osun people and Davido still voted for their corrupt party in mass!! shocked shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by efeteb: 10:15am On Apr 19, 2019
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Jamesonbrown(m): 10:16am On Apr 19, 2019
wink
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by efeteb: 10:16am On Apr 19, 2019
grin grin
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by olas24u(f): 10:17am On Apr 19, 2019
Resource control is important, restructure the country.

3 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by erifeoluwasimi(f): 10:17am On Apr 19, 2019
The last time we visited the inherited farm at obokun ijesha, this Hausa people were mining on the land. They were even challenging us until we brought in the king's attention. They negotiate to buy but my father in law said no. Those people are thieves

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Jason007: 10:19am On Apr 19, 2019
taking down the bandits and terrorist is one thing , managing it not to spread is another. now that the government of Osun is speaking out, I hope the security agency will look into it for better strategy.

1 Like

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by bossrillboss: 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
Rendent4:
today's winning ticket is ready for pay after winning
chat me up now
090-11-32-58-29
winning is sure
..wer d ticket,am interested.

1 Like

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Chinashopping84: 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
ok...the law makers are as well the law breaker.we sell chinese yuan.ship your goods from China to nigeria.check below for more details..
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by RTSC: 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by whirlwind7(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2019
Huh.

Even though these mining activities have been ongoing for several years, there is a catalyst that seem to make their activities more pronounced and more deadly in recent times.

It cannot be unconnected to the downtown in the economy. No improvement in commerce, finance, ICT, manufacturing and service delivery. Next drive is extracting and mining. Even the FG has been sinking billions of naira into prospecting for crude oil, after the dumb president declared that its government will diversify from oil.
So, there you have it. When the head is rotten, other parts of the body will feel the stench.

Next level is gonna be awesome, I tell ya!

2 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by BlackfireX: 10:23am On Apr 19, 2019
Are they northerners?

If yes....

Shut up
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by OBAGADAFFI: 10:24am On Apr 19, 2019
cheesy
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by debaj10: 10:38am On Apr 19, 2019
most sw states r already overrun.
people are just blissful in their ignorance.
smh

2 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Zombicmodz: 10:39am On Apr 19, 2019
erifeoluwasimi:
The last time we visited the inherited farm at obokun ijesha, this Hausa people were mining on the land. They were even challenging us until we brought in the king's attention. They negotiate to buy but my father in law said no. Those people are thieves

You need to chase them of your land .
If it's your ancestral land they have no right to it.
It's your family gold mine and a deal with the right legal mining coy will net you billions.

Which king ? Was it the Owa ?
Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by SIRTee15: 10:49am On Apr 19, 2019
erifeoluwasimi:

I don't understand....
Why can't the locals mine the land themselves....

1 Like

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by honyham: 10:59am On Apr 19, 2019
The new development in Ijesa land about the Miner can't take place without the knowledge of the traditional rulers either they have licences or not as a young boy in 1988 I traveled to Odo Ijesa with the missionaries and I know the church elders are saying the activities of people locking for valuable stones where affecting their farming activities. But they could not talk because the village head have connection with them. When I move to North I know have a better understanding of what happened then, no one can move to your village without their local collaborators .And people in the business have information more than the villagers and the amount of gold in each location. If care is not taken Osun situation will be so bad than zamfara ,sokoto, katsina. Why we have tick bush in osun not like open land in the north our towns are very close I have given my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Honor10: 11:08am On Apr 19, 2019
Odingo1:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin We couldn’t challenge these people (Northerners) who are working on the sites grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. With all this occupation of SW by the northerners the Yorubas still believe that the north will surrender power to Tinubu in 2023 just like that, Time will tell.

when a Yoruba man become president in 2023, if u don't kill urself den, u are a bastard. Tinubu obsession will kill u. don't worry.

5 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by Quality20(m): 11:10am On Apr 19, 2019
ds is bad. those hausa guys will in d interim also turn local girls and women to ashwos., while young yoba boys will learn hard drugs from d bad hausa guys

2 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by debaj10: 11:14am On Apr 19, 2019
Honor10:

when a Yoruba man become president in 2023, if u don't kill urself den, u are a bastard. Tinubu obsession will kill u. don't worry.
sori
if dt hapns, it'll likely b osinbajo.
they've shown he can be controlled.
but they rather field a northerner from PDP dn d sw.
dts if elections even hold.
we r truly in trouble.

2 Likes

Re: How Influx Of Illegal Miners Into Osun Threatens Security by gbengaolaniyi(m): 11:24am On Apr 19, 2019
[s]Investigation further revealed that there are over 5000 illegal miners from the North, in over 10 villages and towns in the state, including: Ijana Wasare in Atakumosa LGA, Igun- Ijesa, Gona, Ajewanwa, Atepe-Akire, Igbadare among others.
[/s]

And so fucking what Gold in the western region belong to north period angry

Gbenga olaniyi reporting from ogbomosho IDP camp

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Irish Authorities And AIB Drawn Into $9.6bn Nigerian Dispute-Irish Times / South Africans React To Nigeria's Twitter Suspension (TWEETS) / Was Gen. Mamman Vatsa Really Innocent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.