Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year (28327 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Builds Sleep Box For Wife, Priscilla Chan / Mark Zuckerberg And His Family's Halloween Costumes 2018 (Photo) / ₦26 Trillion Net, Mark Zuckerberg And Wife Pictured On The Street Of California (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Aldebaran(m): 9:22pm On Apr 19, 2019
Picture below : Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg runs with bodyguards in Germany in 2016.

Facebook paid its CEO an additional $13 million for his personal security and travel costs in 2018, according to a proxy filing on Friday. That included a new $10 million pre-tax allowance for additional security costs such as security guards, equipment, services and residential improvements.

"He is synonymous with Facebook and, as a result, negative sentiment regarding our company is directly associated with, and often transferred to, Mr. Zuckerberg," said the filing.

Like many wealthy CEOs, Zuckerberg receives an official salary of $1 a year. He also did not receive bonuses or stock awards in 2018. However, Zuckerberg's total compensation jumped from $9.1 million in 2017 to $22.6 million in 2018 in order to cover the increase in security costs for the high-profile CEO.

The increase is partially the result of specific threats against Zuckerberg and Facebook's (FB) high visibility, according to the company.

Facebook pays for Zuckerberg and his family's personal security at his homes and when he travels. Approximately $2.6 million of Zuckerberg's compensation package in 2018 was for private aircraft travel, which the company said was part of the security program.

The company is entering the second year of a seemingly non-stop series of scandals. It has been under fire for everything from personal privacy issues following revelations that data-firm Cambridge Analytica collected information on 87 million Facebook users, to enabling the spread of white supremacy and hate speech on the platform. Those events have drawn a large amount of exposure for the company and its 34-year-old co-founder.

"Mr. Zuckerberg is one of the most-recognized executives in the world, in large part as a result of the size of our user base and our continued exposure to global media, legislative, and regulatory attention," said the filing.

The filing said Facebook also increased the amount of money it put towards COO Sheryl Sandberg's personal security by $1.1 million.
Zuckerberg is one of the richest people in the world and is worth just over $70 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire's index.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/12/tech/mark-zuckerberg-security/index.html

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by BravoDe: 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2019
FTC... Mark mark a wise Harvard drop out

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2019
Meanwhile buhari bodyguards do it voluntary..... i mean

ewure (ram)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Harry00(m): 10:47pm On Apr 19, 2019
shocked
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by anochuko01(m): 6:14am On Apr 20, 2019
Security Budget for the whole nigerianscheesy

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 20, 2019
Shebi the "vanity upon vanity crew" said he doesn't move around with securities grin? That he has a simple lifestyle.
Mad people

233 Likes 22 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Generalwoodz(m): 7:54am On Apr 20, 2019
That year wey him come naija shey una talk say e no dey move with security?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by dkronicle(m): 7:59am On Apr 20, 2019
ClixMaster:
Shebi the "vanity upon vanity crew" said he doesn't move around with securities grin? That he has a simple lifestyle.
Mad people
lleave the vanity crew. Na broke ness go kill dem

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by binary007: 8:00am On Apr 20, 2019
"Vanity of Vanities" said the Preacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 20, 2019
It's actually new because of threats .
ClixMaster:
Mad people

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by kiiingemmy(m): 8:52am On Apr 20, 2019
smiley
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Jamesonbrown(m): 8:52am On Apr 20, 2019
Hmmm
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Tolumiide: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Is he living in Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by tstx(m): 8:53am On Apr 20, 2019
That's Change

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by ricon: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Mark was almost gone last year. He would have been replaced as CEO of Facebook.

It's obvious he's got some friends in high places and even his call to appear before the Congress and Senate wasn't like an attack on what happened under his watch but looks more like a call to explain.

His friends saved him, you can't mess with people's security and privacy especially the Americans and not get hit.

8 Likes

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Some people live to suffer while some live to prosper.
Each person with his own grace, luck and destiny in life.

Some came and left in penury;
Some came in penury and left in wealth;
Some came in wealth and left in penury;
Some came in wealth and left in wealth.

Life was a mystery, is a mystery and will ever be a mystery.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Hypocrites will say vanity upon vanity
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by stanley000: 8:54am On Apr 20, 2019
ClixMaster:
Mad people
my brother these vanity crew are so confused they can't even wipe their own butt grin

5 Likes

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by whytediamond(m): 8:54am On Apr 20, 2019
It's amazing how easy it is to make money in this digital age. From zero dollars to over 70billion dollars in less than 15yrs? That's phenomenal.

Tech has truly made life much easier for the forward thinking minds.

See me coming in grand style.

10 Likes

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by ChristianNorth: 8:54am On Apr 20, 2019
Pointguardusa:
They have started shifting the post.

16 Likes

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by StarUp: 8:55am On Apr 20, 2019
Mark, if you need a female security guard, holla at me so I can link you up with the BEST in the game wink
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by careytommy37(m): 8:55am On Apr 20, 2019
Only?
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by meobizy(f): 8:55am On Apr 20, 2019
If he has it he should flaunt it.
What I’m wondering here is how much a dollar is split into twelve places.
See the swag-less looking dude, sef.
One will never imagine he controls such wealth and power.
I hope one local champion who is afraid to show himself won’t start having ideas.
We all know imitation is the easiest form of flattery.

1 Like

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by shamsin6300(m): 8:55am On Apr 20, 2019
Aw much will it cost to protect him 4rm village people
Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by OlujobaSamuel: 8:56am On Apr 20, 2019
Pointguardusa:
9.1m in 2017, so it's not new.

1 Like

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by naptu2: 8:57am On Apr 20, 2019
Pointguardusa:

It's always been there. Zuckerberg came to Nigeria in 2016 and I had read about the money that Facebook spends on his security even before he came to Nigeria. They only increased the level of security around him because of the threats, but Facebook has been paying for his bodyguards since as far back as 2011.

This is a 2016 article.

Facebook has spent 16 million on Mark Zuckerberg's security since 2011
https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/672323/facebook-has-spent-16-million-on-mark-zuckerbergs-security-since-2011/amp/

8 Likes

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by Jaynom(m): 8:57am On Apr 20, 2019
He may not wear jewelry or expensive clothes but he spends more money than the average RICH MAN grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Cost Facebook $22 Million To Keep Mark Zuckerberg Safe Last Year by dreamwords: 9:03am On Apr 20, 2019
Let me b his security man abeg

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Somtoo Okoye Buys N3m Lexus ES330 For His Mother, Puts Her On Monthly Salary / List Of Top 10 Bloggers In Nigeria 2017, Arrange By Wikinaija / Kemi Filani Weds Adeyemi Emmanuel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.