Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? (13298 Views)

The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" / 8 Biggest Career Mistakes That People Make In Their 20s / What Has Been Your Greatest Challenge In Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by naijasmost: 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2010
What's up, Landers.

I'm new to the forum oh, so pardon me if this question has already been asked elsewhere.

What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

For students, it might be getting that coveted internship.
For those who are unemployed, it might be getting interviews at good companies, or performing well when one does get called for an interview.
For those already working, it may be getting promoted, moving to a better company, earning more, gettign better working condition, etc.

I'm trying to get a sense of where people's struggles really are.

Thanks in advance!
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by AjanleKoko: 6:19pm On Sep 16, 2010
My biggest career challenge was deciding what I really wanted to do.
I finished NYSC then with practically no clue. Eventually, I decided I would look for no breaks, and start at the very bottom, just learning and enjoying what I decided to do. That changed the game entirely.

Most people do stuff for all the wrong reasons. Money dey there, it sounds prestigious, etc.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Odunnu: 8:02pm On Sep 16, 2010
I thnk its leaving my present job and starting up on my own.
I'm so attached to ths org that i'm afraid of leaving.I servd with them and evn b4 I concluded service I was convertd to a full staff,had a driver and lived in the MD's bq without paying rent.
Dnt knw how long I shd stay to show appreciation evn though I love the job I stil want to go solo
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Aluframes: 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2010
Landers, I am new on the forum, hows everybody out there? To answer your question, I am an engineer, my biggest challenge has been how to market myself and my products. as we speak, I have fabricated cassava processing machines from start to finish, they lie idle in my factory, how do i get a market for my industry. I need people who can come and process their cassava into garri in my factory which is located at Egbeda. I also do all kinds of aluminum and metal works you can think of, how do i get customers to patronize me?
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by dandollar1: 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2010
My greatest challenge is to get a job in my desired field-oil and gas.i did engineering,but have been wasting my life in banking for the past 5yrs.i feel very unfullfield. cry

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by dandollar1: 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2010
My greatest challenge is to get a job in my desired field-oil and gas.i did engineering,but have been wasting my life in banking for the past 5yrs.i feel very unfullfield.any hope? cry
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 28, 2010
i have to leave to the rig 2morrow morning,
the pay is sweet as a mechanical engineer and the responsiblties
are hard,risky and challenging,
i need a higher profile job in town or overseas,
am sick of this field operations,
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by zilosxp(m): 1:47am On Sep 30, 2010
I like computers and all but i am not yet so sure of going into the telecoms sector cos of the physics and maths requirements. In fact am just so confused, as for the banking sector or the oil and gas, i don't even know what to do to get in there ! Please i really need help from everyone especially Sir Ajanlekoko,
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by naijasmost: 2:00am On Sep 30, 2010
zilosxp:

My biggest career challenge is that i don't even know which career path to go into yet! I read animal and environmental biology in school and should be going in for NYSC by the end of October but till now i am just so confused.

zilo,

Let's forget what you studied for a moment.
And let's forget what industries are hot, or are hiring, for a moment.

What makes you tick?
What makes you feel powerful, successful, and energized when you do it?
What do you want them to write on your tombstone, after you've moved on?
You can thrive and be successful in very many fields, even fields that are less popular.
Of course, that success never happens overnight. It may not even happen in 2 years, or 3, or 5.

By the time you give your area of focus 10 years, of real effort, perseverance, networking, and providing value, I can guarantee that you will be a highly regarded authority in that field, and making a very good living.

That time line can and should be shorter - depending on how well you network, provide value, and build your brand.
But if you do none of those 3 things well, by 10 years you should still be an authority.
If you do those 3 things well - who knows? 1 year? 2? You could be an authority.

Even if this is an impractical exercise for you right now (maybe because of short-term financial needs), it is a worthwhile exercise.
Know thyself.

Me - while I studied computer science, and then Marketing, I realized that my passion was storytelling, motivating kids, self development, and coaching.

Not very computer sciency stuff, is it?

But its what makes me tick.
After several years of doing the "right career" according to the expectations of those around me, I've finally switched to doing the "right career" for me.
And it's been a fantastic decision.

Best of luck!

Let us know how we can help,
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by DisGuy: 12:12am On Oct 01, 2010
The perfect time- Moving up or Moving sideways

18months after graduation is enough experience at entry level, the next four to six months will be very
challenging no thanks to the recession

On the other hand; I've got NYSC(minor priority) and Masters(major priority) to think about for 2011
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by dharmie(f): 11:41pm On Oct 03, 2010
My challenge is the age factor. I'm 25 and i'm still an undergraduate. Honestly, wish i have a part-time job. Unfortunately i am a full time student and i attend a state university with an unstable academic calender.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by naijasmost: 3:53am On Oct 04, 2010
dharmie:

My challenge is the age factor. I'm 25 and i'm still an undergraduate. Honestly, wish i have a part-time job. Unfortunately i am a full time student and i attend a state university with an unstable academic calender.
dharmie, you can make lemonade out of those lemons.

What are your goals in life?

What are you most passionate about, and who do you want to leave your mark on the world?

There are probably businesses you can volunteer for, that will get you closer to those goals, if you're willing to work for no money. This work could be done whenever school closes. Because you'll be providing free labor, you may be able to find a business in your desired field that will be flexible about giving you work. This kind of arrangement will build your experience and your network quickly.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by naijasmost: 3:55am On Oct 04, 2010
Dis Guy:

The perfect time- Moving up or Moving sideways

18months after graduation is enough experience at entry level, the next four to six months will be very
challenging no thanks to the recession

On the other hand; I've got NYSC(minor priority) and Masters(major priority) to think about for 2011
Dis Guy - recessions are when most of the world's millionaires and billionaires get their big break.
This is because most people too busy seeing misfortune, feeling the pain, and feeling helpless, to see the opportunity.

You may have the chance to find problems that are currently being overlooked, which may be in your capacity to solve.

Keep your head up and your eyes open - opportunity is just over the horizon. Or closer. shocked
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Nobody: 4:06am On Oct 04, 2010
Interesting topic. I on the other hand love my job, its challenging and a relatively new experience but i'm relishing the opportunity to think, explore and possibly bring up some new ideas. However the goal is to move into management within the next 5 yrs . . . so i'm looking to taking an MBA sometime soon. Problem is the cost, time and when to start! Argh!
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by dharmie(f): 11:08am On Oct 04, 2010
@naijasmost. Thank you.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by naijasmost: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2010
davidylan:

Interesting topic. I on the other hand love my job, its challenging and a relatively new experience but i'm relishing the opportunity to think, explore and possibly bring up some new ideas. However the goal is to move into management within the next 5 yrs . . . so i'm looking to taking an MBA sometime soon. Problem is the cost, time and when to start! Argh!
@Davidylan: Why do you need an MBA to move into Management?
Let me tell you - it is true that having MBA behind your name will probably increase your value in people's eyes, when you walk in the door.
BUT!
It will not necessarily increase the ACTUAL VALUE you are able to contribute to your organization.
This is why most (if not all) of the world's billionaires DO NOT HAVE MBAs!!!
The school of hard knocks is BY FAR more valuable than any "pali" (certificate /degree) a school can give you.
The fact of the matter is that most educational programs teach you how to memorize. They teach you how to color between the lines. They teach you how to follow rules.

And most organization leaders do THE OPPOSITE of those things mentioned above.

If your goal is to make it into middle management, and then just coast while you collect your nice paycheck, an MBA will probably be a good thing to do. I have an MBA. I know.

If your goal on the other hand is to build the kind of wealth that can change your family tree, if your goal is to actually leave a legacy behind worth talking about, if your goal is to actually give something to help Naija (especially the less fortunate), an MBA isn't your only option. An MBA may even slow you down. An MBA is not a negative thing AT ALL, but it's also not as important or relevant as people make it out to be.

EDUCATION IS GOOD. KNOWLEDGE IS GOOD.

But Wisdom is better. Providing REAL VALUE is better.
And those come from experience, building relationships (networking), getting a mentor, trying things outside your comfort zone that move you closer to your goals, failing, learning, growing, rinse and repeat.

Don't wait on that MBA program - get a mentor this month. Someone who is where you would like to be.
The reason that they will be willing to mentor you, is that you will demonstrate that you work hard, you're in it for something more than just money, you have long-term vision, and that they will actually be proud to call you a mentee! DON'T WORK FOR MONEY AT THIS STAGE IN YOUR CAREER.

WORK FOR KNOWLEDGE. Then apply that knowledge, to gain WISDOM.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, @Davidylan!
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by AjanleKoko: 3:14pm On Oct 04, 2010
^^
Actually I think going to school is good. davidylan is an academic sort of guy, so getting an MBA may just serve him the type of challenge he is looking for.
We Nigerians seem to cling to this school-is-not-required logic, which i think is just laziness. We need to be better educated, in order to move the society forward. More education means more ideas, more mind training, in my view.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 04, 2010
naijasmost . . . i agree with your point but a few points for clarity's sake:

1. I'm only considering the part time MBA (i intend to remain in my current job) . . . so i dont think it will slow me down in that sense.

2. Its true you can climb into management without taking an MBA, my bosses are presently doing the same but it is going to be a LONG PROCESS. I dont want to be 49 by the time i get to the top. I definitely dont see my bosses going anywhere so that means i will have to WAIT as all of them are relatively young. Besides having that extra experience makes you more valuable in the market.

3. Why is an MBA necessarily bad? As much as the school of hard knocks works, only VERY FEW ever graduate from that school successfully.

4. I believe wisdom is good . . . but knowledge with wisdom is far better.

Thanks to you and ajanlekoko! Good luck to you both as well.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by zilosxp(m): 2:00am On Oct 05, 2010
@naijamost,thanks for your motivational speeches but that's all it is,motivational. I dont think you've been in a position where you are very confused about what next to do in life and yet the family is really looking up to you, being first born and all that, worst still you don't have anybody to look to for career advice, anyway thats why i'm here. To explain myself further, i'm this kind of person that does not 100% match the description of a book worm but i read when i have to. Also,some persons may not like to hear it,but i'm motivated by money. Dont know if there are any positives in that.i'm also kind of good in criticsm and tackle challenges head on.lastly,i'm not friends with technological stuff at all, maybe from this,you can give me a little clue on career paths i might start considering, thanks a million!
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Godmother(f): 3:04pm On Oct 05, 2010
I am actually rebranding my company magazine and I am facing lots of challenges. Its also hard breaking out into an already saturated market. pheew
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by oludashmi(f): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2010
Odunnu:

I thnk its leaving my present job and starting up on my own.
I'm so attached to ths org that i'm afraid of leaving.I servd with them and evn b4 I concluded service I was convertd to a full staff,had a driver and lived in the MD's bq without paying rent.
Dnt knw how long I shd stay to show appreciation evn though I love the job I stil want to go solo

Good treatment. But I think you need to start your biz along the way while you continue with the present one and later break away. Dont say cos you are being well taken care of, you forget that you are still a slave in a master's suit.

Aluframes:

Landers, I am new on the forum, hows everybody out there? To answer your question, I am an engineer, my biggest challenge has been how to market myself and my products. as we speak, I have fabricated cassava processing machines from start to finish, they lie idle in my factory, how do i get a market for my industry. I need people who can come and process their cassava into garri in my factory which is located at Egbeda. I also do all kinds of aluminum and metal works you can think of, how do i get customers to patronize me?

good one! can you send me your email pls?
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by AVISENNA: 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2010
To be honest with you guys i really need an additional degree but he my pay isn't much , i've tried to save hard but domestic challenges keep cropping up. The truth is when i have all the money i want i would still want to have an additional degree.
i really desire to have a business of my own but the the trouble is i haven't really figured out what exactly i would like to do. I would would really love to go into consumer goods(soaps , detergent and everything that should make someone and everyone clean but i really need the capital so that's why i'am still hanging unto paid employment.
I really need a break.

I'am in my 30's , i am yet to settle down,, and the world keeps turning.[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by princejp: 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2010
well my bigest career challange now is deciding to live the country where i am now to come back home,so i can start up a new business at home but what business am is to do?that is the challange right now.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by PupetMasta(m): 3:58pm On Oct 05, 2010
My greatest challenge today is finding funds I can use to carry out my business ideas, although I dont mind being mentored but my location is not helping matters. My present job is also very boring and has
therefore has made me very impatient which is not good for my plan
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by seun0622(m): 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2010
I think my biggest challenge was loosing my job at Intercontinental bank , Ten months after , i have a cyber cafe as well as a computer institute where I make more than my monthly salary in the bank , It wasnt easy at all but God saw me through!
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Linguist(f): 4:44pm On Oct 05, 2010
my own challenge is leaving my job to go for a course in which i love the most. looking at the money, am tempted to stay but have made my choice.
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by denony(m): 4:45pm On Oct 05, 2010
for not been able to finish what i was suppose to
i remember it each day and it makes me cry.
wish i could finish it someday
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by iice(f): 4:46pm On Oct 05, 2010
AjanleKoko:

My biggest career challenge was deciding what I really wanted to do.
I finished NYSC then with practically no clue. Eventually, I decided I would look for no breaks, and start at the very bottom, just learning and enjoying what I decided to do. That changed the game entirely.

Most people do stuff for all the wrong reasons. Money dey there, it sounds prestigious, etc.

I feel you.

@Topic. . .biggest challenge? Dealing with people.  But then again, i get to see how far my control can hold.  So it's not such a bad thing, some days grin
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 05, 2010
mine has to be the number of holes riddled in my worn out shoes from walking the entire lenth and breadth of VI looking for a gig embarassed
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by djojo(m): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2010
My greatest challenge for now, the firm am working with made me the Accountant,
while am still studying Industrial Relation and personal manager
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by omega25red(m): 4:51pm On Oct 05, 2010
my biggest challenge right now is making a year in my desired field and getting the raise i think i deserve
Re: What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 05, 2010
my bigest challenge now is to be an economist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sack Fever Grips 350 National Assembly Workers / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Should I Drop Out Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.