Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud (420 Views)

39 Trafficked Nigerians In Spain Rescued From Sex Slave Trade (Video) / Libya Slave Trade: Market Booms As Footage Sparks Global Fury / Photos Of Libya Slave Trade, Torture & Killings Surface (Viewer's Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by HeyCorleone(m): 11:44am On Apr 23, 2019
I don't know if this is the appropriate section for this, so please, Mods, bear with me.

Although it is quite lengthy, still take your time to go through it.

For the past few weeks, there has been a surge of topics on front page highlighting internet fraud. There's nothing extraordinary about that. Such acts exist in every continent and is a practice among every race on the planet, bad as it may be.

The major thing that has always sparked my interest in the matter is the way some Nigerians have tried to rationalize the act and give it some sort of moral ground, like saying it is as a result of the government's inability to address issues of socioeconomic concerns.

But, perhaps, the most funny reason I've seen as to why internet fraud persists in our society, is that the people involved in it are trying to pay back or get back at the whites because of what they did during the Transatlantic slave trade. In fact, on this forum, it's typical to see people erroneously use the "400 years of slavery" rhetoric, which is very funny, because the slave trade began in 1619, so if it lasted for 400 years, it means it ends in 2019. Isn't it bemusing?

Now, its pertinent to understand how the Transatlantic slave trade worked, so you can see just how wrong people who use it as a means to justify internet fraud.

The Transatlantic slave trade was just slavery that took place across the Atlantic ocean, because slaves were shipped from Africa to the Americas. It was just like every other slave trade that was happening or that has happened in the world before. Nothing so special about it, except that it was recorded and the it created a number of issues as regards relation with the black race. The Arabs bought slaves from Africa. Africans bought their fellow Africans. When do we start scamming the Arabs? When do we start scamming Senegalese or other Africans who may have "bought our ancestors?" Or is it only blacks that have a monopoly on slavery?

The next point is that Slave Trade was like every other trade, meaning that for it to have happened, there had to be a buyer and a seller. The buyer were the Europeans and Americans. But the sellers were good old Africans. Which is more absurd? That white people but blacks or that blacks were willing to sell fellow blacks for a meagre fee? There are records of black chiefs and kings who sold their brothers into slavery for very petty things. All the white man did was buy. If the black man had refused to sell, the white man couldn't have had anything to buy. In fact, I see the Transatlantic slave trade as black man's inhumanity to fellow Black man. I mean, why sell people of your race to other people because of some small promise? You can't tell me the black chiefs were cajoled. Didn't they have an army? Didn't we have juju priests? Why didn't we employ their services to wade the whites if they persisted to pick slaves illegally? So there's no justification for blacks selling their own kind. And it's because so many black rulers were in good cooperation with the whites that they, the whites, had the effrontery, to arrest Jaja of Opobo for refusing to sell his people. So when do we start scamming black rulers (most of which theur descendants are ruling today) for selling our ancestors?

What ancestors are we even talking about? If your ancestors were taken, you wouldn't be here now. So what kind of justice are you trying to serve? What if someone were to find you guilty of a crime your ancestors committed in the 17th century, wouldn't you find it absurd?

So I don't understand what kind of reparation you people are looking for that would make you clear the bank accounts of poor widows and unsuspecting men. If anything, African-Americans enjoy a standard of living far better than continental Africans. That's enough reparation.

Internet fraud is just like ritual killing - both are born out of greed, no justification whatsoever. I don't mean to be a social justice warrior, and not that I'm so holy, but if you're into it, you shouldn't think there's any moral or brave reason for doing such.

Lalasticlala, Dominique, Mynd44 please let's educate some minds.

1 Like

Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by kajoula(m): 12:01pm On Apr 23, 2019
D
Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by Sydney17(m): 12:08pm On Apr 23, 2019
grin
Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by tck2000(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2019
I salute you for this.i am also against scamming.There are lot of them in my Area,One of them said that God would help the person he'scam trying to scam to recover her money back(wickedness).If there were any way to report them,i would have been a whistle blower for long.To all Scammer's:If you feel bad when someone scam you,why would you think about doing same to another person

1 Like

Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by HeyCorleone(m): 12:39pm On Apr 23, 2019
Mynd44, please. Front page.
Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by tck2000(m): 5:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
-
Re: Misconception About The Transatlantic Slave Trade And Modern Day Internet Fraud by Restroom: 9:39pm On Nov 17, 2019
What you call slave trade, is not a slave trade.
It was human trafficking at it roots

If yahoo internet fraudsters keep saying it is payback
Well
Take it the way you see
Y
Because no amount of talking or preaching can change their mind
It is criminality at it peak
The same way the human trafficking racket of over 400 called translantic slave trade was criminality at it peak

What goes around
Comes around
That's life for
The most important thing is this

Don't get involved
They all both demon in their nature the
So called slave trade and internet fraud

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Cries Out Over Alleged Suicidal Level Racism In Canada / Police Arrest Lady Who Lured Man She Met On Fb And Arranged For Him To Be Robbed / Shocking! Former RCCG Gospel Artiste Commits Suicide Due To Sexual Immorality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.