Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK (6667 Views)

Emeka Anyaoku Endorses 'Nigeria Youth Decide' As Dr Odims Leads Delegation / Nnamdi Kanu Leads Delegation To US For UN General Assembly / Gov. Elrufai Leads Delegation Of Kaduna Government Officials In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by ijustdey: 6:29am On May 07, 2019
Committed to the restoration of oil polluted sites, the minister of environment, Suleiman Hassan Zarma, has led other senior government officials on a working visit to the United Kingdom for the successful clean-up of Ogoni oil spill.

The trip which was facilitated by the United Nation Environment Programme (UNEP) was to enable the delegates acquire global best practices in the remediation of other sites contaminated by oil pollution across the country. The members of governing council of Hydrocarbon Pollution and Remediation Project (HYPREP) who were part of the tour are expected to visit five sites in the United Kingdom.

These include Biogénie’s Trecatti and Redhill soil treatment facilities in South Wales and South East England respectively, the Coed Darcy regeneration project in South Wales, the former Avenue Coking Works in the East Midlands, and ALS Laboratories in North West England. Biogénie’s Trecatti contaminated soil treatment facility in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales provides clean-up for a variety of contaminants, with special focus on soils impacted by petroleum hydrocarbons.

The facility also operates at a larger scale and could accept a wider range of different types of waste, just as it serves as the main treatment facility for London and the south east. Added to this is that the facility is used for the treatment of soil that would have been disposed as hazardous waste, even as the cleaned-up soil could be re-used for restoration and landscaping. For Redhill, the soil treatment facility revealed how decontamination processes used at other sites could be scaled up.

The Coed Darcy, being one of the largest regeneration project in the United Kingdom was formerly occupied by the BP Llandarcy Oil Refinery until operations ceased in the mid-80s. With the changes, St. Modwen is currently working with Atkins to clean up and redevelop the site in a sustainable way. By 2027, it is expected that the re-developed site would be transformed into a new £1.2 billion urban village that would house around 10,000 people.

With a legacy of coal mining, iron works, and chemical works, Chesterfield’s former Avenue Coking Works in the East Midlands is famous as one of the most heavily contaminated industrial sites in Europe. The site would provide an opportunity for HYPREP’s governing council to witness the redeveloped land. Around three-quarters of the site were restored for open space, community and ecological uses, while the remaining areas were used for residential and commercial purposes.

The visit would also enable the delegates to observe an extensive range of in-situ and ex-situ remediation techniques, such as soil washing, bioremediation, thermal desorption, separating techniques, and among others. It was envisaged that these demonstration and visits would build HYPREP’s capacity to reuse and recycle many site worn out materials, thereby contributing to the sustainability of the clean-up exercise. In addition, the ALS operates as one of the largest laboratories in Europe.

The delegates, expected to visit the Chester laboratory in north- west England would focus on quality, accreditation, sample preparation, analysis of petroleum hydrocarbons, reporting, and interpretation of analysis. During the tour, they are expected to identify the aspects that could be replicated in Nigeria in order to increase the overall quality of indigenous laboratories. UNEP’s 2011 assessment of Ogoniland revealed that bringing back important ecosystems to full productive health could take up to 30 years.

The report had recommended that a $1 billion should be set aside for the first five years of remediation activities. Upon completion, the clean-up of Ogoniland could serve as a model for replication in both Nigeria and the region. Experts had stated that the restoration of Ogoniland initiated by the federal government could prove to be the world’s most complex and longest oil clean-up exercise ever undertaken. This is why UNEP in its 2011 assessment report highlighted the severe and widespread contamination due to oil production spanning several decades.

A statement signed by the director of press in the ministry, Mr Saghir Mohammed, hinted that federal government was determined to implement UNEP recommendations. To this end, President Muhammadu Buhari upon assumption of office in 2015 promised to restore livelihoods in Ogoniland, by establishing HYPREP, an institution under the federal ministry of environment that is tasked with the clean-up process.

Read More at: https://leadership.ng/2019/05/07/ogoni-clean-up-minister-leads-delegation-to-uk
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Chuksmonika(m): 6:31am On May 07, 2019
good one...

Third FTC under 24hrs.
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by BuhariAdvocate: 6:37am On May 07, 2019
God bless president Buhari the best president in the world. The most respected president in the world the most powerful black man in the world. Ogoni people should be worship Buhari. He has done well to them what their son failed to do.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by faithfull18(f): 6:38am On May 07, 2019
They have been on this for years now.

18 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by NotBeenPaid: 7:11am On May 07, 2019

Not until yesterday I got to know that the bet9ja scammer has got the backings of some of the mods on here!

Can you imagine that the said scammer created a thread and it hit the FP?

I called the attention of the mods showing them evidence only for them to hide my thread and comments.

I've done my part!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Hector09(m): 7:13am On May 07, 2019
I thought that by now that this ogoni issue would ve been settle, buhari is playing politics with them

2 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Bizibi(m): 7:13am On May 07, 2019
They've started again.....

3 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Amumaigwe: 7:14am On May 07, 2019
simplyhonest:
meetings upon meetings... yet no visible clean up in Ogoni land

Do you mind them. Is it not the money they are supposed to use and clean Ogoni that they are trooping to UK to embezzle? Check their names they are all Hausa/Fulani, whose western fronts polluted and are still polluting Ogoni land in the first place, now pretending to be rescue agents without the participation of the Ogoni indigenes themselves.

23 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by sobastical: 7:14am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
God bless president Buhari the best president in the world. The most respected president in the world the most powerful black man in the world. Ogoni people should be worship Buhari. He has done well to them what their son failed to do.

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

2 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by sykeng(m): 7:14am On May 07, 2019
Animal talk.

1 Like

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by sobastical: 7:15am On May 07, 2019
Amumaigwe:

Do you mind them. Is it not the money they are supposed to use and clean Ogoni that they are trooping to UK to embezzle? Check their names they are all Hausa/Fulani, whose western fronts polluted and are still polluting Ogoni land in the first place, now pretending to be rescue agents without the participation of the Ogoni indigenes themselves.

The whole ogoniland clean up is just a big scam. year in year out they've been using that scheme to siphon money and nothing has been done.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by okenwa101(m): 7:17am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Your life shall be like Nigeria led by buhari, no insults just wished you what you wished orthers. Accept in good faith.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by etrouble: 7:22am On May 07, 2019
faithfull18:
They have been on this for years now.

PDP was on it for 16 years just as PDP was on 2nd Niger Bridge for 16 years also, if it is eazy PDP would have done it. Buhari did not start Nigeria's problems, so he cannot end it, he can only reduce it. If the next government comes and do its bits, step by step, we will get there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by madridsta007(m): 7:24am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

lol.
The world’s capital of poverty. How did he manage to pull off this great feat?
Ever had the chance to ask him this powerful question?

4 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Quinblis: 7:24am On May 07, 2019
What happened to those of us that were trained OSMERT by Nigeria content development and management board NCDMB in 2016?
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by madridsta007(m): 7:26am On May 07, 2019
Quinblis:
What happened to those of us that were trained OSMERT by Nigeria content development and management board in 2016?

Some people have chopped money from your head. You were the local side of things.
Others have to chop money from the international side. International estacodes are more valuable than local ones.

Nigeria. If you know, you know.

2 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by ibietela2(m): 7:35am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

For the process that has not started
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Guruindahouse(m): 7:37am On May 07, 2019
Thanks!

I say a big Amen to it. No offence, of course.

Do you know that some of these low-lives supporting backwardness can't even bold of 250000 naira in their bank accounts while some millionaires are even among people clamoring for positive change? Dont let us beclouded by ethnic, religious and other irrelevant views. Things are getting worse in the country.

I met a first class graduate recently, this poor guy graduated 3 years ago but he could not get a befitting job than teaching primary school pupils cry . I never thought we will end up like this in Nigeria.

I say it again, no offence, anyone claiming things are better off in Nigeria, I pray that his/her lives will be like Nigeria led by Buhari.
okenwa101:

Your life shall be like Nigeria led by buhari, no insults just wished you what you wished orthers. Accept in good faith.

2 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by ibietela2(m): 7:38am On May 07, 2019
etrouble:

PDP was on it for 16 years just as PDP was on 2nd Niger Bridge for 16 years also, if it is eazy PDP would have done it. Buhari did not start Nigeria's problems, so he cannot end it, he can only reduce it. If the next government comes and do its bits, step by step, we will get there.

Buhari and his friends that took part in a coup? He's one of the problem

3 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by ibietela2(m): 7:38am On May 07, 2019
Quinblis:
What happened to those of us that were trained OSMERT by Nigeria content development and management board NCDMB in 2016?

What's that?
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by fedora04: 7:40am On May 07, 2019
They are going to the UK to see how it's been done. Hmm

Question
Are they the ones to clean it up?
Why don't you just contract the clean up
Which one be all this visit up and down
Approve contract and let the job begin

3 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by enochogaga(m): 7:46am On May 07, 2019
Guruindahouse:
Thanks!

I say a big Amen to it. No offence, of course.

Do you know that some of these low-lives supporting backwardness can't even bold of 250000 naira in their bank accounts while some millionaires are even among people clamoring for positive change? Dont let us beclouded by ethnic, religious and other irrelevant views. Things are getting worse in the country.

I met a first class graduate recently, this poor guy graduated 3 years ago but he could not get a befitting job than teaching primary school pupils cry . I never thought we will end up like this in Nigeria.

I say it again, no offence, anyone claiming things are better off in Nigeria, I pray that his/her lives will be like Nigeria led by Buhari.

Amen
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Forreellinc: 7:52am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
shocked buhari do e job? praaaaaaaaaise the lord
Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by Ray07(m): 7:52am On May 07, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Bros, if them give me gun make i shoot you, i go piece every fucking thing about you.
Such a stupid comment from a demented cow.

2 Likes

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by GeorgeTheCoder: 7:58am On May 07, 2019
These people are mad. Visit the UK for cleanup of a spill that is in Nigeria. Is that really necessary ?

1 Like

Re: Ogoni Clean–up: Minister Leads Delegation To UK by jesmond3945: 8:12am On May 07, 2019
So na UK go tell una how to do clean up for una backyard? Is there anything a black man can even do?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Policies are Paying Off. Naira Continues To Appreciate Gradually. / I'm Right Now In Osun...Are There Any Decent Hotels Here? My Goodness! / Tinubu Vows To End Strike In Varsities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.