Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,090 members, 7,852,692 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:37 AM

B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? (21881 Views)

Can Senior Community Health And Ext Worker (SCHEW) Switch To Bsc. Nursing Vie DE / Can Senior Community Health And Ext Worker (SCHEW) Switch To Bsc. Nursing Vie DE / Your Opinion! Bsc Computer Science Or Bsc Computer Education. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 1:00am On May 18, 2019
Follygunners:
Pharmacy of course!

Here in the U.S. Pharmacists make 6-figure annual income compared to nurses that make a mere paltry figure UNLESS they work overtime.

Go figure... cool

Oga, where in the US?? 6 figure?? Can you please be specific?? If you are really in the US, you'd know about the oversupply of pharmacy graduate, New schools opening, lack of jobs, most graduates working in retail,difficulty in getting into hospital pharmacy, lack of enough training facilities for residency, let's not forget students loans. Pharmacy school in the US is very expensive.

1 Like

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Nobody: 1:05am On May 18, 2019
Enough of all dis talk of advising pipo on d course to study. If at dis stage of ur life u don't know wat to study, go nd learn trade. Nonsense nd buhari undecided
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 1:09am On May 18, 2019
Period007:

Don't mind them,they think a profession been lucrative means earning 50k a month after graduation.Even the US they keep shouting their average annual pay is $73k

NP's in California have been known to cross over $300k/yr. Which pharmacy graduate go get this one?? Check the stats. Pharmacy in the US/Canada is dead.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 1:23am On May 18, 2019
Dear Poster,

I am going to assume that you are a youngster. Like other people said already, Nursing in Nigeria isn't anything to write home about due to several reasons ranging from Selfish Union leaders, few Bachelor's degree holders in the work force (most nurses in our hospitals went to nursing or midwifery schools), Still no internship for nurses, starting level in the civil service is still below that of other allied health sciences such as MLS and Pharmacy, weak union etc

But all this nonsense ends in Nigeria.
Nurses in developed countries are paid well! A graduate Nurse will earn more long term than a pharmacy.

Nursing scope is broad. From Hospitals to birthing centers, to disease control centers to Hospice to home care etc

Nurse Practitioners in the US can do everything a pharmacist want to do but can't, and everything a doctor can do except Surgery.

A pharmacist can never earn more than a CRNA .

Lemme bless you with some links

https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacist/Don-t-become-Pharmacist/t248681/p2

https://woman.thenest.com/pharmacists-vs-crnas-9074.html

https://woman.thenest.com/crna-vs-physician-3066.html

https://www.drugtopics.com/pharmacy/are-there-too-many-pharmacists

https://www.nursepractitionerschools.com/faq/can-np-prescribe-medication/

https://www.mcknights.com/blogs/guest-columns/pharmacist-provider-status-what-would-it-mean/

4 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by diamendiaz: 2:19am On May 18, 2019
Is he normal?
capitalzero:

lab science over pharmacy?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Tantolu: 2:44am On May 18, 2019
tetralogyfallot:
Pharmacy any day, anytime, anywhere bro. The reasons are as follows.
1. With just a pharmacy licence you can be smiling to the bank yearly when u stand as a surety to big pharmacy shops.
2. Pharmacy earns more money than every other medical profession in developed countries.
3. Its funny to call a guy a nurse cos it sounds feminine while pharmacist sounds more unisex.
4. Its easier to start a small pharmacy shop with a pharmacy degree than nursing center with a nursing degree.
5. Nurses are mostly treated with disdain by doctors while pharmacist are kings in their own fields.
6. Pharmacist have good working environment unlike nurses that see dirty things on a daily basis

Chai..This is Archaic!!
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Follygunners: 3:01am On May 18, 2019
BarristerAlarig:

Oga, where in the US?? 6 figure?? Can you please be specific?? If you are really in the US, you'd know about the oversupply of pharmacy graduate, New schools opening, lack of jobs, most graduates working in retail,difficulty in getting into hospital pharmacy, lack of enough training facilities for residency, let's not forget students loans. Pharmacy school in the US is very expensive.

Don't come on here and spill balderdash! See link below.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/alex-barker-pharmd/2016/04/2016-pharmacist-salary-guide

You're probably talking abt Pharmacy Technicians.

Like you mentioned, it's expensive to go thru Pharmacy school just like medical school and you expect to make less after such rigorous journey? Dude, think intuitively, abeg. My wife is a Pharmacist with Walgreens and I know what I'm saying.. OK? angry

In some states like California, Pharmacists can prescribe meds unlike RNs UNLESS the RN has a masters and not even in all cases sef.

No qualified Pharmacists in 2019 makes less than 6-figurative income.

6 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by tetralogyfallot(m): 4:29am On May 18, 2019
Tantolu:

Chai..This is Archaic!!
give us d latest trend.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by trustworthy1(f): 7:25am On May 18, 2019
calebify1:
All I see is people who know nothing about pharmacy or nursing making comments based on their personal experience or assumption.
Imagine someone saying pharmacy is overrated.
Another saying pharmacist don't get jobs in Nigeria or Abroad.
Ignorance is a big disease.
Op pls read this comment. Most people advising here knows nothing about pharmacy and nursing or they are advising you based on sentiment.
My dear if you want to know which one is more lucrative meet pharmacists and nurses in real life to explain to you then you can now compare.
My own opinion is that pharmacy is far much lucrative esp in Nigeria.They can work in so many places such as research institute,NAFDAC, hospitals,industries,customs, academics, community pharmacy, medical Representatives etc....

2 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by judeokwor16(m): 7:39am On May 18, 2019
my dear, you may not get the best advice you want here. Here some people behave like kids. Most people here are not health inclined. Just know that every profession has benefits and challenges. Sample your opinions from a Practising PHARMACISTS and NURSES. For me, both are lucrative, but Pharmacy profession has prospects.

2 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Period007(m): 7:41am On May 18, 2019
BarristerAlarig:

NP's in California have been known to cross over $300k/yr. Which pharmacy graduate go get this one?? Check the stats. Pharmacy in the US/Canada is dead.
Oga nurses averages 102k per year in California, while pharmacist averages 152k per year.
This is Forbes highest paid professionals in the USA

1 Like

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 3:28pm On May 18, 2019
Follygunners:

Don't come on here and spill balderdash! See link below.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/alex-barker-pharmd/2016/04/2016-pharmacist-salary-guide

You're probably talking abt Pharmacy Technicians.

Like you mentioned, it's expensive to go thru Pharmacy school just like medical school and you expect to make less after such rigorous journey? Dude, think intuitively, abeg. My wife is a Pharmacist with Walgreens and I know what I'm saying.. OK? angry

In some states like California, Pharmacists can prescribe meds unlike RNs UNLESS the RN has a masters and not even in all cases sef.

No qualified Pharmacists in 2019 makes less than 6-figurative income.

Did you read that article? We are in 2019 and you are quoting a 2016 article. Sad!

Is it even remotely possible for a pharmacy Technician to earn that much??

Do Pharmacists in California have prescription right? You call handling birth control pills prescription? Something even CHEWS in Nigeria can do? Do you know that in that same California Nurses can prescribe all kinds of drugs including Narcotics and other controlled substances??

See my point?? Your wife is in retail!! And she doesn't cross $100k a year. Most pharmacists end up in retail after dreaming of Hospital Pharmacy while in pharmacy school.

Pharmacy school is very expensive, unlike MD or DO schools,it just doesn't pay. An average American student uses student loans to finance their undergraduate studies. Undergraduate Student Loan for Pre Med/Pre-Dental/Pre-Pharm students can cross $100k. Pharmacy school Student Loan are usually between $200k-$400k. From this analysis, the average US trained pharmacist would be indebted to the tune of $400k excluding interest as the loans aren't interest free. Technically, if you own alot, you have to pay alot. Whatever you get after paying of your loans will be less than an NP's salary.

Stop comparing Pharmacy which is an 8year +3years residency course to RN. Try comparing it with DNS/DNP.

Nursing school is cheap. You can get an AS degree from a community college, get your bachelor's online while still earning, your masters online too also while working.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/08/the-are-the-25-best-paying-jobs-in-america-in-2019-according-to-us-news--world-report--.html
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Follygunners: 6:58pm On May 18, 2019
BarristerAlarig:

Did you read that article? We are in 2019 and you are quoting a 2016 article. Sad!

Is it even remotely possible for a pharmacy Technician to earn that much??

Do Pharmacists in California have prescription right? You call handling birth control pills prescription? Something even CHEWS in Nigeria can do? Do you know that in that same California Nurses can prescribe all kinds of drugs including Narcotics and other controlled substances??

See my point?? Your wife is in retail!! And she doesn't cross $100k a year. Most pharmacists end up in retail after dreaming of Hospital Pharmacy while in pharmacy school.

Pharmacy school is very expensive, unlike MD or DO schools,it just doesn't pay. An average American student uses student loans to finance their undergraduate studies. Undergraduate Student Loan for Pre Med/Pre-Dental/Pre-Pharm students can cross $100k. Pharmacy school Student Loan are usually between $200k-$400k. From this analysis, the average US trained pharmacist would be indebted to the tune of $400k excluding interest as the loans aren't interest free. Technically, if you own alot, you have to pay alot. Whatever you get after paying of your loans will be less than an NP's salary.

Stop comparing Pharmacy which is an 8year +3years residency course to RN. Try comparing it with DNS/DNP.

Nursing school is cheap. You can get an AS degree from a community college, get your bachelor's online while still earning, your masters online too also while working.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/08/the-are-the-25-best-paying-jobs-in-america-in-2019-according-to-us-news--world-report--.html

Dude, you're just moving everywhere... what's the basis of ur argument? That Pharmacists don't make >$100K. I just proved to you they do with a 2016 data meaning 2019 would have increased given inflation rates and stuff. You said my wife doesn't make 6-figure a year? So you know my lady's salary better than I do, I guess.

Anyway, it's no longer making sense arguing with you.. Peace out!

2 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by Follygunners: 7:02pm On May 18, 2019
BarristerAlarig:

You're sure a novice... Do you realize the cost of living in Cali is just 2X or even 3X as compared to most states. $300K in Cali is equivalent to $120K in Chicago. Go figure.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 9:54pm On May 18, 2019
Follygunners:

You're sure a novice... Do you realize the cost of living in Cali is just 2X or even 3X as compared to most states. $300K in Cali is equivalent to $120K in Chicago. Go figure.

Cost of living doesn't affect Nurses alone, or does it? Your point there is flawed!
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BarristerAlarig: 9:58pm On May 18, 2019
By
Follygunners:

Dude, you're just moving everywhere... what's the basis of ur argument? That Pharmacists don't make >$100K. I just proved to you they do with a 2016 data meaning 2019 would have increased given inflation rates and stuff. You said my wife doesn't make 6-figure a year? So you know my lady's salary better than I do, I guess.

Anyway, it's no longer making sense arguing with you.. Peace out!

Sir, that's my point. The good old days of pharmacy is long gone.Pharmacy was everything during the early 2000. And inflation rate isn't affecting Pharmacy salaries.

I still maintain my stance. Your wife as a retail pharmacy doesn't earn up-to $100k/yr. And I am also sure she would trade the job for anything worthwhile.

Retail Pharmacy?? Lol.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by encryptjay(m): 12:00am On May 19, 2019
Exempted:

Bros it's a BIG lie.....

Vet Med roaming the streets? Nawa 4u ooo

UNN produces not more than 50 Vet Doctors yearly just so the market wont be saturated. And we have ONLY 4 Universities offering that cource in the whole of Nigeria so Vet Doctors are very rare and don't lack jobs.....

Your friends dont know what they studied..... They should check their Certificate well maybe it's Botany they studied and not VET MEDICINE.....

Pharmacy cannot be compared to Nursing anyday, anytime. Pharmacy is far better course than Nursing....
Vet Meds are balling, even in the MSc class of a close relative, 85 percent are employed.
You'd see just one Vet. Doc doing shifts in two local government. Whenever I'm in Vet. faculty, all I see are people balling.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by elvhinzey(m): 2:09am On May 19, 2019
I'll focus more deeply on my Forex trading. Shikenan! Earning dollars like dream; yet working for no one.

I'm a proud trader.

Thanks for the advice though.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by TheRealOwner(m): 3:40am On May 19, 2019
elvhinzey:
I'll focus more deeply on my Forex trading. Shikenan! Earning dollars like dream; yet working for no one.

I'm a proud trader.

Thanks for the advice though.
How long did it take you to learn this. Will you consider yourself a Pro in Forex already
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by BrokenBarbie: 6:14pm On May 19, 2019
sunmarouk:

lol. and you think its that easy to open a pharmacy shop. lets reason like an average nigerian, where will a strugling young man/lady see money to open a pharmacy. To me, nursing is preferable, because there are oportunities available all around for them, even if its a small job, thy can manage, but never run out of jobs options

You don't even need to open a Pharmacy shop. You could be sleeping in your house while someone is paying you jeh-jeh for your license.

2 Likes

Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by calebify1(m): 8:54am On May 20, 2019
trustworthy1:

Op pls read this comment. Most people advising here knows nothing about pharmacy and nursing or they are advising you based on sentiment.
My dear if you want to know which one is more lucrative meet pharmacists and nurses in real life to explain to you then you can now compare.
My own opinion is that pharmacy is far much lucrative esp in Nigeria.They can work in so many places such as research institute,NAFDAC, hospitals,industries,customs, academics, community pharmacy, medical Representatives etc....

God bless you dear.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by trustworthy1(f): 1:29pm On May 20, 2019
calebify1:

God bless you dear.
I tried replying ur pm but it wasn't successful
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by calebify1(m): 3:35pm On May 20, 2019
trustworthy1:

I tried replying ur pm but it wasn't successful
Oops.
I sent something check it out.
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by boiler123boiler: 8:41am On May 21, 2019
ZOZEN is one of the best modern boiler manufacturers in China!
Do you want to know WNS series gas-fired steam boiler or more?
You can refer to this website.
http://upadlosc.org/
http://arquitecologia.org/
http://hwuac.uk
http://bilboplanet.org/
Or you can email me:qianxin@zozen.com
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by elvhinzey(m): 1:03am On May 22, 2019
[ 5 months. Still learning though. I'm a senior for now. Learning at a professional's feet. ]
How long did it take you to learn this. Will you consider yourself a Pro in Forex already[/quote]
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by elvhinzey(m): 1:12am On May 22, 2019
Lols. I'm trading FX. =78484551:
Enough of all dis talk of advising pipo on d course to study. If at dis stage of ur life u don't know wat to study, go nd learn trade. Nonsense nd buhari undecided
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by samtol4(m): 6:13am On May 22, 2019
tetralogyfallot:
veterinary medicine bawo? I have a lot of them as friends still roaming the streets in search of a daily bread.
They should find their way to any country outside Nigeria they will be well paid . Definitely not in Nigeria .
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by vhuqnl(m): 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
HaneefahRN:
I would advice you go for whichever course you are interested in and would truly love to study. Don't mind people saying this or that.

People have made an habit of looking down on Nursing even when they know nothing about how draining the Course can be, considering all I have gone through so far, I feel like slapping them for every stupid word they say. As much as I love Nursing, it can be frustrating sometimes.
why u no dey post on no again
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by TheCork(m): 4:12pm On Sep 14, 2020
HaneefahRN:

And you think the people studying Nursing are dullards?

Yes. Nurses r all ways fat..all ways giving peopleinjection & never lightskin . That's y every body hate them & I hate them. Ok so are u saying u a nurse & u giv injection & u dark skin? angry
Re: B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? by yunqdady: 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2022
HaneefahRN:
I would advice you go for whichever course you are interested in and would truly love to study. Don't mind people saying this or that.

People have made an habit of looking down on Nursing even when they know nothing about how draining the Course can be, considering all I have gone through so far, I feel like slapping them for every stupid word they say. As much as I love Nursing, it can be frustrating sometimes.
Which country are you in now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lecturer Dismissed For Exposing Corruption In Yabatech / Sheila Solarin Of Mayflower School Is Dead (Tai Solarin's Widow) / 4 Things Student Can Do During ASUU Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.