Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,707 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC (21674 Views)

Obi Cubana Visits UNN, Meets VC, Management Team (Photos, Video) / UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC / UNN Rejects Jamb's 120 Cut-off Mark, Fixes Post-utme Dates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by edunwablog: 4:47pm On May 17, 2019
Prof. Benjamin Ozumba, Vice-Chancellor, University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), on Friday said that the 100 KVA Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF) gas plant recently installed in the university would meet the institution’s energy need.

Ozumba said this in Nsukka during a special convocation of the university in which 614 postgraduates were awarded doctorate degrees while Mr Godwin Emefiele, Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, was awarded honorary doctorate degree.

He said the university’s present energy need was 3 megawatts of electricity and with 12 RDF gas plant of 250 KVA, the university would enjoy 24-hour steady power supply.

“The project is to enable UNN to generate its own electricity with organic waste.

“It has been estimated that 3 megawatts is the energy need of UNN; so, with 12 250kva of RDF gas plant, the university will enjoy 24 hours electricity supply.

“This record-breaking innovation will not only transform UNN, but the country in general,” he said.

Ozumba noted that the special convocation was part of activities to end his tenure which would terminate on June 14.

He said that the CBN governor was awarded honorary doctorate degree because of his outstanding performance in the recovery of Nigeria’s economy from economic recession.

“The topic of the CBN lecture today is: “From Recession to Growth, the Story of Nigeria’s Economic Recovery.”

The vice-chancellor described Emefiele as a consummate banker and global player in the world of banking.

“Emefiele is chosen as lecturer for this topic because he is the best to tell the story of Nigeria’s economic recovery, after excruciating experience of recession,” he said.

Ozumba said that his administration had moved the university forward, adding that the institution had been listed by Google Scholar citation as the best in the country as well as one of the best in the world.

Chief Mike Olorunfemi, UNN’s Governing Council Chairman, said at the occasion that the choice of Emefiele for the honorary degree award was on merit, based on his avalanche of contributions to human development, research and knowledge, especially in banking industry.

“UNN welcomes the CBN governor home as a worthy ambassador of the university, who have contributed nationally as well as in the world economy.”

Olorunfemi commended the outgoing vice-chancellor for numerous achievements of his administration, hoping that Ozumba’s successor would consolidate and improve on his achievements.

Responding shortly after being conferred with honorary doctorate degree of Business Administration, Emefiele urged Nigerians to patronise made in Nigeria goods to create more employment as well as increase the country’s foreign exchange.

The CBN governor expressed appreciation to UNN for finding him worthy of the award.

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/05/unn-meets-its-24-hour-electricity-need.html

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by TheLogicalMind(m): 4:49pm On May 17, 2019
I can only imagine what an independent Republic of Biafra would be like. A University has managed to achieve what the bastard fake "giant" of Africa has never been able to accomplish.

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Pusyiter(m): 5:02pm On May 17, 2019
This is not new neither is it rocket science
Nigeria can dwell on Solar energy like China or any other alternative power sources
but saboteurs in the form of generator importers and their likes will not make it work
In 1999, Tinubu had almost finalize discussion with Enron but OBJ govt. of saboteurs bungled the initiative
20 yrs later, we are worse off.....

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by iammo(m): 5:04pm On May 17, 2019
smiley

good one, isnt it wonderful how a VC is very proud of building a generating set in 2019, when other colleges are partnering with NASA to conquer the Galaxy..... well never late than never

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Roof: 5:11pm On May 17, 2019
That's a good Development, imagine if the VC is a Governor of a state in Nigeria or Nigeria President.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by celeiyke: 6:30pm On May 17, 2019
Pusyiter:
Nigeria can dwell on Solar energy like China or any other alternative power sources
but saboteurs in the form of generator importers and their likes will not make it work
In 1999, Tinubu had almost finalize discussion with Enron but OBJ govt. of saboteurs bungled the initiative

Stop lying

17 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Pusyiter(m): 8:22pm On May 18, 2019
celeiyke:

Stop lying
Since am lying, tell us the truth else you are the greatest fool

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Elemosho478: 8:42pm On May 18, 2019
This is not rocket science and a big deal

1 Like

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by celeiyke: 8:44pm On May 18, 2019
Pusyiter:

Since am lying, tell us the truth else you are the greatest fool

Yabaleft patient who gave u a phone

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Pusyiter(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2019
celeiyke:

Yabaleft patient who gave u a phone
If you can't tell us the truth then you are a garbage. Learn how to Shut up when men are talking piece of trash. I didn't invite you to my mention

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by celeiyke: 10:48pm On May 18, 2019
Pusyiter:

If you can't tell us the truth then you are a garbage. Learn how to Shut up when men are talking piece of trash. I didn't invite you to my mention

Zombie. It seems ur mental state is totally imbalanced

16 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 19, 2019
cc:lalasticlala please move this to front page as it is informative
Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by CodeTemplar: 10:14pm On May 19, 2019
iammo:
smiley

good one, isnt it wonderful how a VC is very proud of building a generating set in 2019, when other colleges are partnering with NASA to conquer the Galaxy..... well never late than never
While I don't celebrate the feat of a bio fuel generation by UNN, people equally don't go to the moon with epileptic power supply and next to zero funding.
The gen set clearly isn't worth any hype. If done by student as project then I would have taken them seriously.

14 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Amuocha: 10:15pm On May 19, 2019
LASU sef sad
Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Lamasta(m): 10:16pm On May 19, 2019
Atimes I wonder what the doctors and professors in our higher institution of learning do if they cannot carryout a research that will better the community and its environs.
Kudos to UNN at least they have solved their power issue. cool

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by LowerPriceData0(m): 10:16pm On May 19, 2019
Bravo...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by chiboy1116: 10:17pm On May 19, 2019
Elemosho478:
This is not rocket science and a big deal
well in Nigeria it's pretty much a big deal.

6 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Obatechit1: 10:17pm On May 19, 2019
We install CCTV Cameras

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by sparog(m): 10:18pm On May 19, 2019
Na so
Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 19, 2019
Nice one from UNN

2 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Krak(m): 10:20pm On May 19, 2019
The headline is very deceptive. They have not yet acheived the feat, the achievement is still pending, just like every other thing in Nigeria.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 19, 2019
Pusyiter:
Now he has power in sw why can't he implement for them

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by 1kingwriter: 10:23pm On May 19, 2019
Pusyiter:

Since Tinubu brought in Buhari why didn't he complete the deal?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Honor10: 10:24pm On May 19, 2019
TheLogicalMind:
I can only imagine what an independent Republic of Biafra would be like. A University has managed to achieve what the bastard fake "giant" of Africa has never been able to accomplish.

independent republic of Biafra will kill herself in 5 years, so much disunity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by bluefilm: 10:26pm On May 19, 2019
Pusyiter:

That's why I like the man tinubu.

I've read how he was able to manage the affairs of Lagos when FG seized the funds for Lagos State.

The man is a master politician.

He will surely continue from where Sai baba stops come 2023.

E go better for we cuntiri.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Princedapace(m): 10:26pm On May 19, 2019
Nice one.

Nairalanders, a very good friend of mine is doing her PhD and she needs our help. She needs us to help answer her survey questions which is part of her course requirements. It is an online survey from university of Florida and it won't take more than five minutes of your time.
Pls, let help a sister to meet part of her course requirements. If you are led and you care to help, simply visit the survey form here:

Hello dear. I am conducting a study to test the role of chemists or road side drug sellers in determining drug competency in Nigeria. Please follow this link and help me take a quick survey https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0jNcmnnAygN1BYx

Thank you so much for your help.

3 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by Fidelismaria: 10:26pm On May 19, 2019
Rubbish

24hrs power supply my foot

Since 3weeks now we never see light for this stupid hilltop

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by otokx(m): 10:29pm On May 19, 2019
The way some Nigerian professors lie is amazing.
Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by iswallker(m): 10:31pm On May 19, 2019
"The university will enjoy...."..

It is not yet in place, they are looking for funding..

I remember they had a 250kva plant a month ago. They need 11 more.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Meets Its 24-hour Electricity Need From Organic Waste — VC by denitro(m): 10:36pm On May 19, 2019
Pusyiter:

Within five weeks of taking over the headship of BPE, I drafted the first of many memos which would be forwarded to the President, drawing attention to surreptitious steps being taken by line ministries to frustrate sector reforms and privatization.

The Lagos State-Enron case was particularly dangerous as it would have bankrupted NEPA almost overnight! The president immediately put the transaction on hold and commended the vice president for briefing him on the implications of the deal.

The VP set up a ministerial committee chaired by Minister of State Danjuma Goje, with BPE, the Federal Ministry of Finance, and Lagos State Government represented as members, to review the agreement.

Enron immediately hired GoodWorks International, the global advisory firm co-founded by former US Ambassador to the UN, Andrew Young, to influence the outcome of the review, while Bola Ige and some sections of the South-West media got busy attacking me, the vice president and the BPE for depriving Lagos and Yoruba people of steady electricity’.

We declined to respond, focusing on fixing what we saw as a potential stumbling block to reforming and privatizing our electricity supply industry.

I am glad we truncated the original deal, but even the better and revised arrangement which reduced tariffs from 8.5 cents per kilowatt – hour to just 1 cent a kilowatt – hour ended up placing huge financial burdens on NEPA years into the future – and the undertaking we extracted from Lagos State to share part of the burden was subsequently challenged in court, and remained in dispute until we left office.

My Enron experience was an education of a sort. I learnt many new lessons that dispelled my naivety. Well-informed and trusted friends put pressure on me to look the other way because they were advisers or consultants to Enron, or were potential; beneficiaries in the transaction.

My explanations and passionate representations that the transaction was inimical to the national interest, negatively impact the long-term viability of NEPA and threatened the reforms of the electricity industry were neither important nor relevant to their position.

I saw starkly how government officials were willing to prevent the interest of the country to impress foreigners or obtain preferences for those they thought were their kinsmen.

It was an early sobering experience and an appreciation of the reigning dictum of every one for himself, and no one for the country.

Mallam Nasir El-Rufai (Governor of Kaduna State and Former Director General, BPE)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? / Nigerian Man Honored In An American University For Graduating Excellently.Photos / ASUU Strike Protest Rocks UNIBEN (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.