Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,359 members, 7,860,959 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:51 PM

Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? (5071 Views)

Trade Minister, Doris Anite Tours Manufacturing Industries In Lagos, Ogun, Kano / Gov Soludo Has Commissioned 5 Indigenous Industries In Anambra In 2023 (Photos) / Ugwuanyi: We Have Appropriated ₦3.4 Billion For SME Industries In 17 LGAs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by duncun: 3:08am On May 19, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by duncun: 3:08am On May 19, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by kernel01: 3:23am On May 19, 2019
hollah123:
is it d abia that a fellow igbo described as d curse of the nation with those damaged roads n no infrastructure? or d overhyped anambra? though chinua Achebe said igbos are boastful n they exaggerate alot, now I believe him. but all d same I need to know your weed supplier

If any of your state has the production capacity of Aba, then you're talking. Can Lagos boost of more Shoes and textiles per day, compared to Aba?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by BrownRoofRep: 3:46am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

The largest market for goods and services in Nigeria is Lagos, hence the economic capital of Nigeria and the 5ht largest economy in Africa.

I know what you meant and why it's always a bragging phrase in that part of Nigeria, but you misused that term because it's not the largest market in West Africa.
Shut up!
The biggest market in West Africa is Onitsha Main Market.
Are you Afonja people naturally dumb or what?

10 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 3:57am On May 19, 2019
Temple1288:

Now kiddo, Economy doesn't just revolve around Markets.. But you need to get back and learn that! I won't be the one to teach cuz you didn't pay me..

I brought out Wikipedia to show you because kids (vibrant ones) use Wikipedia to check records that they don't seem to understand properly..

Now if you know of any Market in and around Lagos that is bigger, larger and busier than Onitsha Main Market, kindly present it with proof... Since you failed to learn it, I had to show you what and how it's stated on Wikipedia.

lol. Is this dude pulling my legs?

This is the cue for me to stop going back and forth with you, this is definitely the most ridiculous and absurd comment on NL in a long time?

The market is the basic foundation of any economy, it is where you go to get compensated for your goods and services from imports to farm produce, livestock, the industrial output from your factories and manufacturing plants and so on.

The market in the foundation and anchor of the economy and it is the one and only major source of municipal income aka IGR.

The fact that you have a huge plot of land where people sell doesn't mean anything in terms of economic gains or an advantage over smaller markets in other regions with different goods and services.

Of what relevance is your huge market with people selling mainly foodstuff and household products when smaller markers with goods and services and 20 million people consumer base, superior purchasing power and disposable income?

Your huge market doesn't translate into IGR and massive economy and Nambra is still one of the poorest states in Nigeria with very low IGR.

Quality is always better than quantity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 4:15am On May 19, 2019
Btw, the Topic is about industries, not market...
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Bighead9: 5:22am On May 19, 2019
Mekuze2:
I recently returned from an interview from Lagos while I reside in the east so my question is...why are there few companies in the east compared to Lagos??

It's because the East is not safe, the do not have the money to patronize the finished products, the East is filled with Kidnappers Ritualist armed robbers, the East is a failed region. That is why the Igbo's can't stay in the East.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by tiwiex(m): 5:28am On May 19, 2019
kettykin:

I don't think there are more than 4 states in Nigeria more industrialized than Anambra and Abia what the east lacks is the infrastructure like Gas and enough electricity to power more industrialization.
Can you imagine the only international airport in the east is about being closed down with out an alternate route.
The gas masterplan excluded the east, the east was also excluded from the rail network. But easterners are not relenting

The main import port is in Lagos. 95% or raw materials come from there so it makes business sense to be based as close to the port as possible. I keep saying Nigerian states as self sustaining units is impossible with Lagos monopolising import. It also explains the congestion and the roads breaking Dow with tankers and containers falling all over the place.
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 5:50am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

Wikipedia is your source of superior education? I'll try not to question your education and mental capacity.

What is the size of the Economy in Anambra since the have the largest market and volume in the whole of West Africa.?

How do you support that claim with the economic facts and realities in the ground on a poor state with meagre IGR.

Largest market with the largest volume means the largest economy which Anambra is not.
Stop being stupid.

German economy is bigger than Nigeria's but Nigeria has a bigger consumer market. Stop using words you don't understand. It makes you look stupid.

I am sure you are not aware that many markets in the North, Middle belt except Kwara and the entire South South except Edo depends on Ariaria and Onitsha for their supplies.

The North trade with the East more than they can imagine with Lagos.

FYI, IGR means tax. SE are not aggressive with taxing her citizens like others do.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 6:05am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

lol. Is this dude pulling my legs?

This is the cue for me to stop going back and forth with you, this is definitely the most ridiculous and absurd comment on NL in a long time?

The market is the basic foundation of any economy, it is where you go to get compensated for your goods and services from imports to farm produce, livestock, the industrial output from your factories and manufacturing plants and so on.

The market in the foundation and anchor of the economy and it is the one and only major source of municipal income aka IGR.

The fact that you have a huge plot of land where people sell doesn't mean anything in terms of economic gains or an advantage over smaller markets in other regions with different goods and services.

Of what relevance is your huge market with people selling mainly foodstuff and household products when smaller markers with goods and services and 20 million people consumer base, superior purchasing power and disposable income?

Your huge market doesn't translate into IGR and massive economy and Nambra is still one of the poorest states in Nigeria with very low IGR.

Quality is always better than quantity.

You keep shouting IGR as if you even understand the meaning. IGR means tax.

SE debt to the rest of the country is 7.8%. So you see why they don't need those aggressive taxing?

Lagos and all those states with high IGR have high debt profile.

The last time I was in Lagos, one keke man was complaining about how he just paid N700 in the name of tickets.

This is over 200k in a year. In Lagos, you pay close to a 100k yearly for just having a sign post.

Abia State Government doesn't tax shops in Ariaria like Lagos does but imposes developmental levies and it is not periodic. It is usually N1000.

They can impose about 6 levies in a whole year which is less than the amount a keke in Lagos pays in a month.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Anambralstson: 6:24am On May 19, 2019
Bighead9:

It's because the East is not safe, the do not have the money to patronize the finished products, the East is filled with Kidnappers Ritualist armed robbers, the East is a failed region. That is why the Igbo's can't stay in the East.
Read this report from UNDP, crime rate in Western States are more higher than eastern states.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 6:29am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Stop being stupid.

German economy is bigger than Nigeria's but Nigeria has a bigger consumer market. Stop using words you don't understand. It makes you look stupid.

I am sure you are not aware that many markets in the North, Middle belt except Kwara and the entire South South except Edo depends on Ariaria and Onitsha for their supplies.

The North trade with the East more than they can imagine with Lagos.

FYI, IGR means tax. SE are not aggressive with taxing her citizens like others do.

Stop trying too hard to agree with me and even prove my point for me.

1. To start, your German analogy was pointless, senseless and redundant because their economy in Garmany is the largest in Europe and they don't have the largest market in Garmany, their market is global, it is in over 100 counties. They export/sell Mercedes Benz, BMW, AUDI, Industrial machinery, Industrial chemicals, Machine tools and countless products all over the world so what's this got to do with what we consume in Nigeria or the petty roadside trading in Onitsha?

They produce more in Lagos, they sell more in Lagos, they consume more in Lagos, they earn more in Lagos, the revenue is larger in Lagos. the economy is larger in Lagos.

That was a pointless, lazy and irrelevant analogy.

2. Lecture yourself about IGR/Taxes. I don't know why you people are always trying to have it both ways.

You love to claim that you have the largest this and that and the largest market in your backyard without factoring the meaning and realities that comes with the largest this and that and when we highlight the flaws in your lame boastful claims, you quickly blame it on your governors for not collecting taxes.

Why are they not collecting taxes? Are they lazy or just irresponsible?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 6:38am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

You keep shouting IGR as if you even understand the meaning. IGR means tax.

SE debt to the rest of the country is 7.8%. So you see why they don't need those aggressive taxing?

Lagos and all those states with high IGR have high debt profile.

The last time I was in Lagos, one keke man was complaining about how he just paid N700 in the name of tickets.

This is over 200k in a year. In Lagos, you pay close to a 100k yearly for just having a sign post.

Abia State Government doesn't tax shops in Ariaria like Lagos does but imposes developmental levies and it is not periodic. It is usually N1000.

They can impose about 6 levies in a whole year which is less than the amount a keke in Lagos pays in a month.

Taxes build roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, waterworks and so on, so, of course, thanks for letting us know why Abia is full of rot and decay.

Sad to know you people are the future if your states.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 6:49am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

Taxes build roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, waterworks and so on, so, of course, thanks for letting us know why Abia is full of rot and decay.

Sad to know you people are the future if your states.
Abia State is better than any SW state you crawled out from.

Most of the major bad roads in Abia are federal roads.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 7:01am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

[img]https://4.bp..com/-22arz_cEHFk/VhvXK8EY5FI/AAAAAAAAAXk/5pRVGz_Wj08/s1600/abia%2Bnairaguide%2Bnews.jpg[/img]

lol....

Is this a federal road.? You people love to come up with weak excuses to deflect incompetence and irresponsibility.

This is the famous huge Ariria market where according to you the government intentionally is not collecting taxes, do you see how rettared and irresponsible they are? This is the most popular market in the whole of SE so why is it so hard and difficult to give the market a decent road?

I forgot they don't pay taxes. I think they call this syndrome "Pennywise, pound foolish."

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 7:12am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

Stop trying too hard to agree with me and even prove my point for me.

1. To start, your German analogy was pointless, senseless and redundant because their economy in Garmany is the largest in Europe and they don't have the largest market in Garmany, their market is global, it is in over 100 counties. They export/sell Mercedes Benz, BMW, AUDI, Industrial machinery, Industrial chemicals, Machine tools and countless products all over the world so what's this got to do with what we consume in Nigeria or the petty roadside trading in Onitsha?
You see why I said you are stupid. Is Nigerian market not global. By mere being a member of ECOWAS, he has access to the ECOWAS market. By just being a country under the sun, Nigeria has access to the global market.

This not what I am talking about. I am not talking about B2B market (domestic and international), I am talking about consumer market.

Nigeria has a larger consumer market than Germany, the largest economy in Europe.

plaindealer:

They produce more in Lagos, they sell more in Lagos, they consume more in Lagos, they earn more in Lagos, the revenue is larger in Lagos. the economy is larger in Lagos. [
/quote]
According to your government, about 70% of containers cleared at Lagos seaport end in the SE (Onitsha and Aba). So how do Lagos sell and consume more?

Are you sure you understand what a consumer market is?

[quote author=plaindealer post=78515745]

2. Lecture yourself about IGR/Taxes. I don't know why you people are always trying to have it both ways.

You love to claim that you have the largest this and that and the largest market in your backyard without factoring the meaning and realities that comes with the largest this and that and when we highlight the flaws in your lame boastful claims, you quickly blame it on your governors for not collecting taxes.
Tax is a fiscal policy measure government uses to distribute wealth. When government taxes less, it leaves more disposable income to the citizens.

Having the largest market or being heavily industrialized doesn't mean you will have the largest IGR. A government can decide not to tax. There are countries with near zero tax policy.

plaindealer:

Why are they not collecting taxes? Are they lazy or just irresponsible?

They don't need it.

You are generating the highest IGR but your debt profile is astronomical. SE has the lowest IGR but with the least debt burden (7.8%)

Use your head.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Rolings: 7:13am On May 19, 2019
nku5:
The industries in the SE are not few but there would have been much more if the SE did not have the worst infrastructure in Nigeria. Worst roads, undeveloped ports and bad power. Infrastructure is one of the main determinants of the location of industries

After giving 98% votes to a particular political party for 20 years and having the most juicy positions on economy for the period , easterners still complain so who should you blame

IGBO POKITICIANS OR BUHARI

wasted your votes for 20 years don't blame anyone but yourselves

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 7:19am On May 19, 2019
[s]
ChristianNorth:

You see why I said you are stupid. Is Nigerian market not global. By mere being a member of ECOWAS, he has access to the ECOWAS market. By just being a country under the sun, Nigeria has access to the global market.

This not what I am talking about. I am not talking about B2B market (domestic and international), I am talking about consumer market.

Nigeria has a larger consumer market than Germany, the largest economy in Europe.

[/s]

We are talking about markets in Nigeria, not in Germany

They produce more in Lagos, they sell more in Lagos, they consume more in Lagos, they earn more in Lagos, the revenue is larger in Lagos. the economy is larger in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 7:23am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:

[img]https://4.bp..com/-22arz_cEHFk/VhvXK8EY5FI/AAAAAAAAAXk/5pRVGz_Wj08/s1600/abia%2Bnairaguide%2Bnews.jpg[/img]

lol....

Is this a federal road.? You people love to come up with weak excuses to deflect incompetence and irresponsibility.

This is the famous huge Ariria market where according to you the government intentionally is not collecting taxes, do you see how rettared and irresponsible they are? This is the most popular market in the whole of SE so why is it so hard and difficult to give the market a decent road?

I forgot they don't pay taxes. I think they call this syndrome "Pennywise, pound foolish."
Why not pull a recent picture. Check all the roads leading to that market, Faulks road, Ugwu mango and the rest.

That traders in that market single-handedly built a power generation and distribution companies to power the market which your lazy president went to commission.

Can any Yoruba market be that thoughtful?

You can continue to glory in old pictures and in your foolishness. Do you want us to start pulling pictures of market from Osun and Lagos that are taxed so that you can compare with Ariaria?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 7:24am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Why not pull a recent picture. Check all the roads leading to that market, Faulks road, Ugwu mango and the rest.

That traders in that market single-handedly built a power generation and distribution companies to power the market which your lazy president went to commission.

You can continue to glory in old pictures and in your foolishness. Do you want us to start pulling pictures of market from Osun and Lagos that are taxed so that you can compare with Ariaria?

Show us the recent picture. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Rolings: 7:27am On May 19, 2019
kettykin:

the same Anambra that has the only privately owned auto plant in Africa,

Reallyyyy.....no need to lie in your attempt to hype your tribe..... There are many private auto "assembly " plants scattered all over aftica
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by ChristianNorth: 7:33am On May 19, 2019
plaindealer:
[s][/s]

We are talking about markets in Nigeria, not in Germany

You are even more dull than Buhari.

Onitsha is the busiest and largest market in West Africa and in the top 10 in Africa.

https://www.legit.ng/1154853-the-biggest-market-africa.html

You can kill yourself.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 7:38am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

You are sadly mistaken, they have Market IPP all over Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 7:42am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

You are even more dull than Buhari.

Onitsha is the busiest and largest market in West Africa and in the top 10 in Africa.

https://www.legit.ng/1154853-the-biggest-market-africa.html

You can kill yourself.

This is what's in the link you posted..

So, is this the largest market in the whole of WA?

It's nothing but a myth and word of mouth tales..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Westtimeline: 8:23am On May 19, 2019
Temple1288:

Anambra is not overhyped and Abia is not cursed..

The busiest Market in West Africa is in Anambra.

Ariaria market in Aba, Abia State is the China of Africa, home to domestic made goods. This is where a lot of product replicas are made and sold. The market also has a segment for manufacturing only, where a range of stuff is hand-made.... In fact in UAE, Sharjah to be precise before the R&S building towards Safeer Supermarkets, those clothing Supermarkets there all sell Aba made products!!

Anambra is not overhyped nor is Abia State overhyped!!
They have started again, just as US army came to purchase fighter jet at aba right?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Westtimeline: 8:31am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Which of the abia if I may ask ?
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Westtimeline: 8:34am On May 19, 2019
ChristianNorth:

They don't do what in that market?
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Temple1288(m): 8:46am On May 19, 2019
Westtimeline:
They have started again, just as US army came to purchase fighter jet at aba right?

I don't join in beer parlour arguments.. Just walk into the places I mentioned... I gave you facts and nothing there is history.. 20 dirhams shop, or the 10dirhams shop.. Go there and counter my argument..
This was when I visited the UAE last year..
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by plaindealer: 8:49am On May 19, 2019
Westtimeline:

grin
Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by superlightning: 9:13am On May 19, 2019

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There Few Industries In The East?? by Westtimeline: 9:19am On May 19, 2019
[s]
Temple1288:

I don't join in beer parlour arguments.. Just walk into the places I mentioned... I gave you facts and nothing there is history.. 20 dirhams shop, or the 10dirhams shop.. Go there and counter my argument..
This was when I visited the UAE last year..
[/s]You can only tell that to those who don't travel, not me.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Come Eco Currency Is A Revolution In Pictures See The Stakes / Reps Propose Upward Review Of Derivation Fund From 13 To 20 Per Cent / Gbenga Olawepo Hashim: Greatness Still Within Reach For Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.