Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,485 members, 7,958,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:06 PM

Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? (6662 Views)

Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Obiagu1: Port Harcourt In 1914 Was Igboland Under Owerri Province (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by MaziUche0(m): 7:25pm On Sep 26, 2010
udezue:

All u northern parasites should carry your groundnut and go to hell. Secede please

Amedi! grin

Idem mfo?

You never disappoint me with your post my Aro brother.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by ono(m): 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2010
MaziUche0:

That is what you think. grin When Nigeria DOES break up, and it will, the term "South-South" will be no more. Western Nigeria and Eastern Nigeria will reclaim its lost territory.

Hmnn. . . . Until we break up, please know that the term (geopolitical entity actually) ''South South'' will remain and have a place in Nigeria's geopolitics and will continue to play a major role in the country's politics.

And when we break up, rest assured that we will remain one indivisible ''country'' - that cannot be influenced in any way by the whims of her neighbours.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by solvakia: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2010
at poster u re a kid who jus startin 2 see d brim of light nd knows notin about nigeria!
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by solvakia: 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2010
it d fund gotten 4rm d west nd south dat dey use 2 feed d north right 4 d intro of legitimate trade!
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by solvakia: 8:51pm On Sep 26, 2010
ur people only belive in slave trade! same as ur religion! dat prof of urs knows notin! same as u!!!!
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2010
ono:

Hmnn. . . . Until we break up, please know that the term (geopolitical entity actually) ''South South'' will remain and have a place in Nigeria's geopolitics and will continue to play a major role in the country's politics.

And when we break up, rest assured that we will remain one indivisible ''country'' - that cannot be influenced in any way by the whims of her neighbours.

Fact.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 9:03pm On Sep 26, 2010
solvakia:

your people only belive in slave trade! same as your religion! dat prof of urs knows notin! same as u!!!!

o boy, you sound like a bonafide intellectual midget.

ono:

I'm sure you know that the likes of MaziUche0 believe that you are occupying their land and that all the resources found in your area belong to them.

Ibime:

If the OP is insinuating that groundnut money was used to build up the South-South, please ask him which city or town in the then South-East region was built with groundnut money?

If they want 1960 arrangement, we would be very happy to do so. We give them 50% to develop themselves and keep 50% for ourselves.

Since 1960 is a fair parameter which they use to construct their argument, lets return to 1960 arrangement.

Ibime, stop pretending to be stupid, I have made no such insinuation. As to your question, I refer you to my response to another  brain-dead poster:

I feel sorry for you people who continue to believe that we must continue to base our economy on the sharing of oil revenue under the guise of some resource control balony. Wake up!  Only 20% of Nigerians are benefiting from the said oil resources, even if you people get 70%, the best of you, like Ibori and co, will pocket most of the money as they've always done, and you'll keepo worshiping them.

The focus should be on how to escape the debilitating Dutch disease and resource curse syndromes ravaging the country as whole. The question of how we move from the paradox stagnation and poverty traps in the midst of resource abundance to growth and prosperity wisely harnessing our God-given human and natural resources for the common good is what our presidential candidates should be answering.

Clueless GEJ has never offered any ideas on this important issue.

Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by tpiah: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2010
The North kept 50% of their groundnut money and paid 50% to the centre, most of that money used to develop Lagos the capital

now it's groundnut money that built lagos?

before it was oil money.

tommorow lets see which money people will say was used to build it.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by MaziUche0(m): 9:17pm On Sep 26, 2010
ono:

State your ethnicity, so I can understand where your point of view is coming from. The "South-South" will one day cease to be.

Remember that the ENTIRE East is Igbo domain. Even in the "South-South" Igbo people reside in great numbers. Knowing this and that we make up 75% of the entire East, will not tolerate our region being balkanized anymore.

When Nigeria finally does break up, the East will be united under one banner. Like it or not. If you want to fight us, then so be it, but our access to the sea will not be denied.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Onlytruth(m): 10:13pm On Sep 26, 2010
MaziUche0:

State your ethnicity, so I can understand where your point of view is coming from. The "South-South" will one day cease to be.

Remember that the ENTIRE East is Igbo domain. Even in the "South-South" Igbo people reside in great numbers. Knowing this and that we make up 75% of the entire East, will not tolerate our region being balkanized anymore.

When Nigeria finally does break up, the East will be united under one banner. Like it or not. If you want to fight us, then so be it, but our access to the sea will not be denied. 

Frankly, if not for the Ijaw troubles all these years, there would not be a 'south south", so I can guess that what may remain of this region is "Ijawland".

ono is from Edo, and frankly, to think that an Edo guy has more in common with a Rivers or Calabar or Akwa Ibom person than an Igbo guy is silly and self deceiving. undecided undecided

Yes, I believe that "South south" will not survive a properly configured Nigeria. What I suspect may happen are these:

Option 1: Old East  (very possible)
Option 2: East comprising Anioma, Rivers, and current South east. (very possible and even likely)
Option 3: Calabar region for Calabar/Akwa Ibom; Eastern region comprising South east, Anioma and Rivers state; separate Ijawland region; Edo/Delta region. (Even more possible).

In any case, current South south is actually THREE regions in one. It is not stable by any measure.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Nsiman(m): 10:14pm On Sep 26, 2010
@ ndu_chucks, be specific on ur issues, if groundnut money and co were okay for nigeria agriculture wouldn't have been abandoned for oil since 70s. Let me ask u, how many farm do u have presently, how much do it (ur farm) contribute to nigeria's present economic growth? Try call a spade a spade. Don't use politic and call white black. That prof should study again before coming to utter baseless utterance because the south-south is the economy of nigeria now. Can the north be economic viable without south-south? If they can lets practice resource control.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by youngmonie: 10:53pm On Sep 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Frankly, if not for the Ijaw troubles all these years, there would not be a 'south south", so I can guess that what may remain of this region is "Ijawland".

ono is from Edo, and frankly, to think that an Edo guy has more in common with a Rivers or Calabar or Akwa Ibom person than an Igbo guy is silly and self deceiving. undecided undecided

Yes, I believe that "South south" will not survive a properly configured Nigeria. What I suspect may happen are these:

Option 2: East comprising Anioma, Rivers, and current South east. (very possible and even likely)
Option 3: Calabar region for Calabar/Akwa Ibom; Eastern region comprising South east, Anioma and Rivers state; separate Ijawland region; Edo/Delta region. (Even more possible).

In any case, current South south is actually THREE regions in one. It is not stable by any measure.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by youngmonie: 10:58pm On Sep 26, 2010
Nsiman:

@ ndu_chucks, be specific on your issues, if groundnut money and co were okay for nigeria agriculture wouldn't have been abandoned for oil since 70s. Let me ask u, how many farm do u have presently, how much do it (your farm) contribute to nigeria's present economic growth? Try call a spade a spade. Don't use politic and call white black. That prof should study again before coming to utter baseless utterance because the south-south is the economy of nigeria now. Can the north be economic viable without south-south? If they can lets practice resource control.

dnt be sarcastic  man, groundnut cocoa were sustainning Nigeria along with its industries  nd non -mnaufacturing sector. Groundnut obviously  wouldnt sustain a growing population nd the world was in die need of oil then hence it became more profitable for Nigeria as a country. if we hadnt  had a military era, I belive Nigeria would have been a much better place. And even if this country is to perofrm resource control, south south would suffer even in the midst of its plenty because there would obviously be power tussle for control for thisthing called oil
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Ibime(m): 12:47am On Sep 27, 2010
Ndu chucks, what does your parasitic opening statement about "North was feeding South South in 1915" have to do with GEJ? Quit jumping from pillar to post.

You came here giving us reasons why you deserve to be parasites (your erroneous reason being that we were parasites in 1915 bla bla bla), now you are preaching about how Dutch disease is affecting Naija. Instead of going to knock heads with your fellow parasites about how you can reestablish your production of golden groundnuts, you are here telling me about Dutch disease, Ibori etc. I know Ibori may be rich, but if I name the 20 richest men in Nigeria today, 90% of them would be parasites who made their cash from crude oil.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 12:48am On Sep 27, 2010
youngmonie:

dnt be sarcastic  man, groundnut cocoa were sustainning Nigeria along with its industries  nd non -mnaufacturing sector. Groundnut obviously  wouldnt sustain a growing population nd the world was in die need of oil then hence it became more profitable for Nigeria as a country. if we hadnt  had a military era, I belive Nigeria would have been a much better place. And even if this country is to perofrm resource control, south south would suffer even in the midst of its plenty because there would obviously be power tussle for control for thisthing called oil

Oil was discovered in the Niger Delta on June 1956, the country became an oil producer in 1958 and gained independence in 1960, by the early 70's, oil had become numero uno in the Nigerian economy (and by a damn long shot too); so please forget the story about groundnuts and cocoa building a single hut in the Niger Delta. It never happened.

Between the years 1914 and 1945 mentioned by the OP, Nigeria's most important exports were rubber and oil palm produce (SS and SE), in fact it was the money from both commodities that paid for the amalgamation of Nigeria. Please read up on the Royal Niger Company which eventually became Nigeria.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Ibime(m): 12:50am On Sep 27, 2010
@ Tpia,

I don't reason with binshes, however know that if any region claimed they provided surplus which went into Federal coffers, any such people looking for where that money went should not come to Yenagoa to look for it, but should rather go to Lagos.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by udezue(m): 1:43am On Sep 27, 2010
Idioko brotha.@ EzeUche
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Dede1(m): 2:35am On Sep 27, 2010
Beaf:

Oil was discovered in the Niger Delta on June 1956, the country became an oil producer in 1958 and gained independence in 1960, by the early 70's, oil had become numero uno in the Nigerian economy (and by a damn long shot too); so please forget the story about groundnuts and cocoa building a single hut in the Niger Delta. It never happened.

Between the years 1914 and 1945 mentioned by the OP, Nigeria's most important exports were rubber and oil palm produce (SS and SE), in fact it was the money from both commodities that paid for the amalgamation of Nigeria. Please read up on the Royal Niger Company which eventually became Nigeria.

Please engage in exploratory research on the issue of crude oil discovery in cesspit called Nigeria before going public with unfortunate post such as this one.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 3:18am On Sep 27, 2010
Dede1:
Please engage in exploratory research on the issue of crude oil discovery in cesspit called Nigeria before going public with unfortunate post such as this one.

Bros Dede, please what is wrong with it?
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by tpiah: 4:02am On Sep 27, 2010
Ibime:

@ Tpia,

I don't reason with binshes, however know that if any region claimed they provided surplus which went into Federal coffers, any such people looking for where that money went should not come to Yenagoa to look for it, but should rather go to Lagos.

na your mama be binch.

keep waanking over lagos as long as you like.

d.aft terrorist.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:01am On Sep 27, 2010
Ibime:

@ Tpia,

Or maybe they should go meet your thieving Northern Nigerian Politicians/Leaders. Better yet, maybe they should go to Egypt and check with fathers of gals between the ages 9 and 13 yrs old. . . . those are the ones that receive the dowry and bride-prices that your Pedo*phile leaders pay from government coffers in order to satisfy their sick fetishes!
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by ono(m): 11:08am On Sep 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

Time will tell. But for the present, please live with it. 

Any iota of doubt I had as per the unity of the south-south geopolitical region evaporated with the actions taken by the reps of the region at the time OBJ was President. He had invited the people from the six geopolitical zone for discussions around the issue of derivation. Reps from the SS - from Edo to Cross River, with Clark leading the pack, I guess, left the venue of the conference when they could not get what they want. Even your so-called Igbo brothers from Rivers State left the conference and united with their people from other states in the South South region.

When push turns to shove, it isn't ethnic affinity that weill determine where the pendulum will shift, when we talk about geopolitics. It is what each region stands to benefit for the good of their poeple.

I was with one Igwe the other day. The Igwe of Adiai in Rivers State. He showed me how himself and his entourage left for Benin to pay homage to the Oba. The Oba and his chiefs took him to his ancestral quarters in Benin - Adiai-Ogbe and showed him facts about his origin.

What I'm trying to bring out here is that because a place is ruled by an ''Igwe/Obi'' does not automatically translate to they having Igbo lineage or origins. The Igwe told me they're more of Bini than Igbo - and everyone knows that. The Obi of Owa in Delta State has his roots deeply steeped in Bini. So also are most of the Ovies and other Kings in a lot of the parts of the Niger Delta. The Igbo should stop thinking that because they're closer to these people and they bear their names and kingship titles, they are their people.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 27, 2010

Beaf:

Beaf,I have told you not to lie again,your conjectures are becoming so irritating to bear.oil palm have contributed nothing to nigeria economy and I have shown you more sources to prove that Cocoa and groundnut sustained nigeria and contributed to the economy than a worthless commodity called oil palm.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Beaf,I have told you not to lie again,your conjectures are becoming so irritating to bear.oil palm have contributed nothing to nigeria economy and I have shown you more sources to prove that Cocoa and groundnut sustained nigeria and contributed to the economy than a worthless commodity called oil palm.

Beaf cannot get away with streatching the truth here because knowkeadgeable people will call him out. His statements are becoming too much to bear.

@Ibime, no one can accuse you of being a forward thinking nationalist. I'd recommend that you consider thinking along nationalistic lines.

ono:

Time will tell. But for the present, please live with it.

What I'm trying to bring out here is that because a place is ruled by an ''Igwe/Obi'' does not automatically translate to they having Igbo lineage or origins. The Igwe told me they're more of Bini than Igbo - and everyone knows that. The Obi of Owa in Delta State has his roots deeply steeped in Bini. So also are most of the Ovies and other Kings in a lot of the parts of the Niger Delta. The Igbo should stop thinking that because they're closer to these people and they bear their names and kingshp titles, they are their people.

Please educate these people. Onlytruth should change his name to Onlylie or OnlyIgnorance. olodo.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Beaf cannot get away with streatching the truth here because knowkeadgeable people will call him out. His statements are becoming too much to bear.

@Ibime, no one can accuse you of being a forward thinking nationalist. I'd recommend that you consider thinking along nationalistic lines.

Please educate these people. Onlytruth should change his name to Onlylie or OnlyIgnorance. olodo.

The truth always sears the souls of liers. What has happened to your false story of "golden groundnuts fed Nigeria?" And next time, write in English, batu is becomerichs exclusive preserve.

You're one of the funniest people to ever walk NL. We will sing and dance with Igbo's (with whom we have a lot in common) and rather die than listen to a parasite from a far off desolate core North coming in to tell us who or what to teach each other.

Try a new trick.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by ono(m): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Wetin 'consign' you? Leave the Igbo alone. At least we're closer to them than you guys up north. We stand a better chance with them than you parasitic lot.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2010
Beaf:

The truth always sears the souls of liers. What has happened to your false story of "golden groundnuts fed Nigeria?" And next time, write in English, batu is becomerichs exclusive preserve.

You're one of the funniest peoiple to ever walk NL. We will sing and dance with Igbo's (with whom we have a lot in common) and rather die than listen to a parasite from a far off desolate core North coming in to tell us who or what to teach each other.

Try a new trick.

Don't be silly, not using the spellchecker does not make his posted remarks unreadable. You can dance with the Abriaba people for all I care, the truth in my statement remains.

Ono, even you sef dey enjoy cheap shot, ko?
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Dede1(m): 2:43pm On Sep 27, 2010
Beaf:

Bros Dede, please what is wrong with it?

Bros there is noting significantly wrong with the post. However, when we write essay in reference to fundamental history of our past, we must make sure to encompass the relevant facts of the era in discuss. Failure to do so has led many lazy students astray in their unfortunate endeavor to disseminate falsehood.

In fact, when the crude oil was struck in Southern Protectorate or more correctly Eastern Region, there was noting called Nigeria. The first search of crude oil in Southern Protectorate by Shell D’arcy about 1948 started in a place called Ondo today. The initial search yielded no crude oil. Shell D’arcy moved further south to Owerrre where crude oil was struck in 1951 but excessive natural gas constituted a major problem due to lack of adequate technology by then. The crude oil well in Owerre was sealed. Again shell moved further south to a place in today’s Akwa Ibom and struck crude oil in 1953 but it lacked commercial quantity. The luck and fortune of shell were about to run out as the company struck it big in Oloibiri in 1956. By this time, Northern and Southern Protectorates have never achieved independence and there was no Nigeria.

I should not bat an eye lid if the reference of Niger Delta and crude oil was made in accordance with geographical and scientific evolution rather than ignorant and stupid political approach as found in today’s Nigeria. Fine essays bordering on the recorded past events about the Protectorates, Regions and Nigeria should serve us right if the authors adhere strictly to historic facts and shun the foolish rhetorical load of deceitful and political jingoisms.

There were four peripheral cities that formed the oil river quadrant, hence oil river protectorate that gave rise to Niger Delta. You will surprise to learn the depth of peoples’ ignorance of the fact when Nigerians discuss issues about Niger Delta today’s polity in Nigeria.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Dede1(m): 3:04pm On Sep 27, 2010
The British aim of amalgamation of Northern and Southern Protectorates in 1914, included among other things, was for the South to feed the North. However, I must caution the Southern Nigerians to take this political statement with grain of salt. If crude oil is removed as a variable factor in the Nigeria’s economy, I am tempted to fall with the fact that Northern Nigeria could either be feeding the Southern Nigeria or state of equilibrium would have been maintained.

Believe it or not, crude oil was the major reason Gowon and Nigeria foisted war of attrition on eastern region of Nigeria. It has also led to the nonsensical politics of betrayal perfected by nonentities and sycophants that populated southern Nigeria.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Olaolufred(m): 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
They were in South-South.

Never an Alien for once.

Not like the prof. of lies that migrated from Desert and start stupid stories.

moontime tales of lies.

That is what they still teach their illiterate children in the 21st Century.

Shame.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Twy: 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2010
Isn't this meant to be a divisive article. I don't know the social, moral, academic intercourse this would produce except to further malign one group or the other. What is clear is that during those period the colonial government invested less in Education, health care, and social amenities but chose economic aiding inftrastructures such as railway, transport and ports to develop. It wasn't until the 1950s that education and health care began to reach majority of Nigerians and more social amenities. But for the most part infrastrucutres where largely meant to interlink with each major cities or new major cities intraregionally and inter-regionally, what the British did try was to separate the regions for independent economic sustenance while promoting raw materials for their industries abroad.

Palm oil, it was the goose that brought more Europeans to Nigeria in the nineteenth century. Cocoa was a locally promoted product, I think it was brought from Brazil and local farmers started planting it in the 1900s, Groundnut was brought by Europeans along with Cotton in the 1910s, It became prominent after 1915 or so in the North.  Throughout this period Groundnut most likely earned the most along with cocoa but Cocoa and Palm oil earned more than groundnut each year since 1914. What I am saying is that this raw materials were meant to earn foreign exchange and supply materials for British factories while the same  British dominated the import segment. The major infrastructures most likely were economic (the British really did not invest in white elephants or giant elephants projects without an underlying economic or trade benefit). Within the interland, in the west cocoa merchants and some traders were wealthy but overall there was a small economy of farming, trade, transport, fishery and mining that was a largely insulated from the major exchange products up to 1946.

Basically what I am saying is that largely the British managed the country on economic and trade reasons and were not really helping one region or the other if not to further economic or trade development of the colonials. Most people were insulated from social amenities, for a long time ppl in the ori oke areas because of trade reasons had no major roads for their farm produce, they trek from their villages to Ibadan, Ilesha or Abeokuta taking days. They had some elephants or antelopes in the nearby bushes and the doctors were native doctors. Even I think UI and Yaba tech were funded through special grants from UK
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by papas: 6:51pm On Sep 27, 2010
fact, when the crude oil was struck in Southern Protectorate or more correctly Eastern Region, there was noting called Nigeria.

Exactly Dede1, there was nothing like Nigeria in 1914, 1945 or 1960 let alone the "South-South". The professor may as well have "asked where was Akwa Ibom State, or Edo State or even Bayelsa State in 1914". No one should be lashed at for trying to present a case for the South-south because the question the professor asked is in itself ludicrous.

There is one fact that cannot be denied regardless of people's likes. . . I quote below. . .

Nigeria was incorporated in 1914 when Frederick Lugard who became its first Governor-General amalgamated the two British protectorates of Northern and Southern Nigeria and the Crown Colony of Lagos into a single entity. The primary reason for amalgamation was economic rather than political. The Northern Protectorate which became the Northern Province had annual budget deficits, while the Southern Protectorate which became the Southern Province had surpluses.

http://info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/library/5783/State_and_Governance_Nigeria.htm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Is World Bank’s Second Highest Paid Official, Says Report . / Boko Haram: ECOWAS Donates $1 Million Cash, $400,000 Worth Of Food To Borno(pics / Nigeria And Core National Values

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.